Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Useful Things And How To's In Ubuntu

Options
  • 16-05-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

This thread is just for people to post A) Random useful things that you can easily do in Ubuntu.
    Not so much that people don't know how to do it but rather how to do things they wouldn't have taught to do. (if that make sense)

B)Also how to list in ubuntu - just a big list of things eg setting up a printer

Please dont ASK how to do things!

I'll start i guess...

Have Firefox set up Upton turning on your computer
    Click on the button in the top right corner
    Hit Startup Applications
    Add
    Then enter command
    firefox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can use nautilus-actions (from software centre) to install custom right click context menus in nautilus.

For example to right click on a music file and enqueue it in rythmbox (or other music players)

Here's a link with some details on the basic configuration

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

One of the first things I always do with a clean install is install the terminus font for terminals. Super, super legible for a terminal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do you install that Khannie and have you a screenshot?

edit: This is it, I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How do you install that Khannie and have you a screenshot?

edit: This is it, I guess

Yeah, that's it. Doesn't do it justice IMO. I'll do you up a screenshot.

edit: Here we go....

205521.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

yakuake is absolutely brilliant and has replaced by terminal for simple things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I always move the mysql database out of /var/lib to /home/mysql to avoid losing it during a distro change / clean install http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-change-the-mysql-data-default-directory.html

Also, if you have a few computers install apt-cacher or apt-cacher-ng (http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/) so you are only downloading your files once to a master pc.

And always keep a note of what you did to fix some problem, setup some hardware etc, I use google docs. Even just copying and pasting the URL where you found your answer saves you tons of time next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

First thing I always install is Gnome Do. Brilliant launcher application.

Advertisement