Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best phone network for internet etc

• 16-05-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

arriving in november id like to be able to keep in touch and check/send emails and a bit of fb etc nothing mad lol. what network gives the best pay as you go deal for calls within nz ,calls to ireland, and internet allowence
    i have a unlocked iphone 4 irish will this cause any issues or can i just pop a sim in and connect to a laptop to get there settings:)

arriving in auckland try set up my bank acc and ird number then car hunt lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We use telecom because their reception is the only one that's halfway decent out here in the wop wops... you should have more choice in auckland tho. The good thing about telecom is that we have our home phone and internet with them and we can pay for everything on the one bill. Should be no problem with your iphone on any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

First and Foremost, i wouldn't bother with Pay As You Go.. I made that mistake when i first arrived, by the end of month 3 i was spending $100+ on credit.. calls cost 90 cent a minute and were charged by the minute, 10 second call still costs 90 cent. You should look at getting onto a bill, there are some good options on all networks, but like myself i assume the data will be the decider for you.

Vodafone and Telecom are prob your only real options, 2Degrees while cheaper for calls and texts lack the coverage, and their data is a bit much.

Vodafone have a bill of $45 a month with 100 minutes 2500 NZ texts and 250Mb data, you can add another 512Mb for a further $30. They used to give you an extra 1Gb for free but im not seeing it mentioned anywhere. Also they used to do a flat rate to call home of $2 for 60 mins, but again theres no mention of it anymore. The have an NZ bestmate included as well (free calls and texts to one VF number)

Telecom offer a Smartphone plan of 100 minutes, 300 texts and 1Gb of data for $60, They also have a Favorites, which is similar to VF's bestmate but cost $6 extra, the number has to be telecom but can be a landline. If your willing to go to the $80 plan (extra 100 minutes) on Telecom then you can call home (as well as Oz, UK, US and Canada) for 51c a minute.

For the future though, when you look at a landline, with Telecom you can pay $25-30 to get unlimited calls home (up to 6000 minutes a month).Dont know much about the other home phone/BB providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

same as meself all goin well, probaly goin to invest in a good smartphone iphone or galaxy:D.is there anyone network best overall for bill? like the best rates to call/txt back to ireland and a bita facebooking:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

As Landa said get a bill phone/contract setup as soon as you arrive. Been with Vodafone the last two years with few problems. On a $30 per month contract which isnt available anymore. I would go with the $45 per month option which can be reduced to $40 if you sign up for a year. Along with the 100 anytime minutes, 2500 NZ texts, 250Mb data and a best friend, calling a landline back home is only $2 for 1 hour. Just make sure and keep it under the hour as after that you can get stung. I use this a lot which saves you on a costly monthly bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

just wanted to add that with 2degrees you can only send texts to meteor phones in Ireland! It would be worth checking the small print for any of the smaller networks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement