Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

plasmaguy wrote: »
    He's one of the best managers in the EPL, but has always been stuck with shoe string budgets.

yeah, look at all that money he didnt spend at villa eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Nonsense. O'Neill has been a success in every managerial post he's been in and usually with limited resources.

He took over Sunderland and with the same squad of players as Bruce turned them into world beaters or near enough, almost overnight. No transfers, nothing, just through motivation, tactics, encouragement and so on.

He's one of the best managers in the EPL, but has always been stuck with shoe string budgets.

I think he'd make a great Liverpool manager.

Tell Helix that.

Edit: It seems he's got me sussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Meh,Benitez drops out of top 4 and there's calls for his head.
    Hodgson walks in the door and there's calls for his head.
    There's evidence enough in this thread for Dalglish.

Martinez isn't even in the job and people are moaning about him so he doesn't stand a chance if he doesn't get off to a great start.
    AVB losing the dressing room at Chelsea is a recurring topic whenever his name pops up.

It's become a poisoned chalice of a job in the space of a few years.
    Expectations from a large section of the support are far too high.
    Dalglish escaped a shìtload of the flak he would have got had he not had the association he has with the club so what chance does an outsider have.

All I'm saying is these are 2 decent,likeable men and I wouldn't want to see them on the end of the inevitable hounding if it didn't work out.

Of course it's not all fans before anyone goes off on one but it's a sizeable and vocal amount.

You had the highest amount of posts in the "Is Kenny done thread" telling us how Kenny was such a disaster and how he should be sacked and when he is sacked you come back and tell us we are impatient and expect too much. You can't make this **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nonsense. O'Neill has been a success in every managerial post he's been in and usually with limited resources.

He took over Sunderland and with the same squad of players as Bruce turned them into world beaters or near enough, almost overnight. No transfers, nothing, just through motivation, tactics, encouragement and so on.

I think he'd make a great Liverpool manager.

No offense, but i think you could be out of your depth debating O' Neill with Helix. I think O' Neill is a good manager, don't want him anywhere near Liverpool mind. But seriously, Helix can pull out transfer dealings, financial figures, stats etc to shoot you down.

This really is no reflection upon yourself, but when it comes to a debate about O' Neill whom he depises, Helix will come at you fully armed and he'll shoot you down, brother!! I'm not joking, he's really impressive when he debates MON!! :pac:

You've been warned!!

No he wouldn't. You're a so called Villa fan right. Villa nearly got relegated this season, when he was there ye were challenging for a CL place.

yeah villa had the worst manager ever to manage in the premiership in charge this season though - and even he couldnt relegate the team despite his best efforts

that doesnt say anything for martin o'neill though; aside from the fact that because of him the club had to go on serious cost cutting measures to plug the leaking money thanks to his woeful transfer dealings

o'neill will hit the very same brick wall at sunderland once he starts signing overpriced, overpaid english players and then playing them out of position or dropping them completely before having them leave on free transfers. wait and see

id love him to get the liverpool job, i really would. match made in heaven for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Regarding Rafa!!! Opposition fans were calling him sh!te, doing the usual 'i really hope he stays as Liverpool manager' schtick when he had us in the Champions League every season and also had us competing for the title. Whoever comes in will be getting plenty of stick from opposition fans here.
    That's going to happen no matter who you have.That shouldn't be any concern if you are happy with the job they're doing.
    I was really only referring to your own fans.
    Fwiw I've never had a bad word to say about Rafa's ability as a manager and anyone that does is usually on the wind up.
    I was happy to see him go.

That's going to happen no matter who you have.That shouldn't be any concern if you are happy with the job they're doing.
    I was really only referring to your own fans.
    Fwiw I've never had a bad word to say about Rafa's ability as a manager and anyone that does is usually on the wind up.
    I was happy to see him go.

Liverpool fans will give Martinez time. They'll give him more than one season. Here's a question though. If he got the job and he finished the season with Liverpool in the bottom half of the table and knocked out of every cup competition early on, would you understand if Liverpool fans called for his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Helix wrote: »
    yeah villa had the worst manager ever to manage in the premiership in charge this season though - and even he couldnt relegate the team despite his best efforts

that doesnt say anything for martin o'neill though; aside from the fact that because of him the club had to go on serious cost cutting measures to plug the leaking money thanks to his woeful transfer dealings

o'neill will hit the very same brick wall at sunderland once he starts signing overpriced, overpaid english players and then playing them out of position or dropping them completely before having them leave on free transfers. wait and see

id love him to get the liverpool job, i really would. match made in heaven for me

Where were Leicester before O'Neill took over and where were they after he left?

Where were Celtic before he took over and where were they after he left?

Ditto Aston Villa and Sunderland.

He has turned around every club he's been at in a massive way and after he left they fell back again.

Sunderland and Leicester are clubs similar in size to Wigan, maybe Sunderland slightly bigger.

Compare what he has done at his clubs with what Martinez did at Wigan, a club that have been relegation strugglers every year under him.

I think Liverpool should forget about Martinez. He strung together a couple of good results in the last two months, but in the 3 years before that, he's been pretty average or even poor. He's been clinging on at Wigan for much of the time there. And it would be the same next year.

Overall, I don't think he's in the same league as O'Neill, Rodgers or Lambert.

last word im going to say about mon in this thread is this:

it speaks volumes that so many people think he spent feck all money at villa. such was clearly the quality of the squad he left when he threw his toys out of the pram and walked out 5 days before the start of the season because he was told he wasn't going to be backed financially until he cleared his mistakes off the books. only man city spent more than villa during martin o'neill's time at the club, and he built up a squad of players who earned more than spurs. yet people think he did it on a small budget because he bought crap more often than not, and the players he bought that werent crap were obscenely overpaid to the extent that they were earning 2-3 times more than they actually deserved.

blame the chairman if you like, but the manager's job is to identify players he wants and tell the chairman how badly he wants them. if he managed to convince the chairman that these players were the ones he needed then it just shows how bad a judge of player quality the guy is. id rather a chairman support the manager within a given budget than stick his nose in and try to decide which players are needed and which arent - if the chairman was good enough to be able to do that, he'd be the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

England seems to be the one big league in Europe were fans always expect a big name appointment with a proven track record, and that this is undoubtably better than a relatively unproven manager at the highest level. Like the biggest clubs in Italy and Spain regularly hire managers with little to no experience at the highest level. Allegri brought a title to Milan in his first year, same with Conte at Juve, Pep obviously worked wonders with Barca...

• Advertisement

last word im going to say about mon in this thread is this:

it speaks volumes that so many people think he spent feck all money at villa. such was clearly the quality of the squad he left when he threw his toys out of the pram and walked out 5 days before the start of the season because he was told he wasn't going to be backed financially until he cleared his mistakes off the books. only man city spent more than villa during martin o'neill's time at the club, and he built up a squad of players who earned more than spurs. yet people think he did it on a small budget because he bought crap more often than not, and the players he bought that werent crap were obscenely overpaid to the extent that they were earning 2-3 times more than they actually deserved.

blame the chairman if you like, but the manager's job is to identify players he wants and tell the chairman how badly he wants them. if he managed to convince the chairman that these players were the ones he needed then it just shows how bad a judge of player quality the guy is. id rather a chairman support the manager within a given budget than stick his nose in and try to decide which players are needed and which arent - if the chairman was good enough to be able to do that, he'd be the manager.

Hold on a second, didn't he buy and sell Milner for a tidy profit?

Also sold Barry for a large sum.

And one or two others.

If he bought big, its because he sold big.

You don't expect him to sell big and buy small to replace them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Paul Lambert
    No offense, but i think you could be out of your depth debating O' Neill with Helix. I think O' Neill is a good manager, don't want him anywhere near Liverpool mind. But seriously, Helix can pull out transfer dealings, financial figures, stats etc to shoot you down.

This really is no reflection upon yourself, but when it comes to a debate about O' Neill whom he depises, Helix will come at you fully armed and he'll shoot you down, brother!! I'm not joking, he's really impressive when he debates MON!! :pac:

You've been warned!!
    Lovers????????/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

That's not what I was replying to, but yes I agree with your point that this appointment has got to be the correct one and the owners can't afford to take a gamble on someone who hasn't proved they can cut it at the top level which, obviously, is where LFC is transpiring to be. For this reason, I think MON, Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert or Pardew would be very foolhardy appointments which may cement the current team as mid-table if the results don't come.

Of those you've listed there O'Neill would have the experience for the Liverpool job and would have no fear of doing it either - no problem. He would be a safe bet to get ye back in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa

And one or two others.

You are so out of your depth here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Andre Villas-Boas
    Sorry but you're an idiot.

LOL

Rafael Benitez
    Liverpool fans will give Martinez time. They'll give him more than one season. Here's a question though. If he got the job and he finished the season with Liverpool in the bottom half of the table and knocked out of every cup competition early on, would you understand if Liverpool fans called for his head?
    Of course.If he's well off realistic targets then by all means call for his head.

Rafael Benitez
    niallo27 wrote: »
    You had the highest amount of posts in the "Is Kenny done thread" telling us how Kenny was such a disaster and how he should be sacked and when he is sacked you come back and tell us we are impatient and expect too much. You can't make this **** up.
    Find me a post where I said he should be sacked.

And one or two others.

*sigh*

last one, definitely

he didnt buy big. he bought small and he bought often. 3-8m transfers all the time on average players. had he actually one and spent big money on actual quality players there wouldn't have been an issue

example: sells cahill for 5m, buys davies for 10m

transfer summary from his time at the club:

Petrov £6.5m on £55k pw, retiring through illness = approx cost to club £21m
    Agathe £0 on £20k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £500k
    Sutton £0 on £20k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £500k
    Carew £SWAP on £55k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £11.5m
    Young £9.5m on £25k pw for 2 years, £55k pw for 2 years, money recouped £16m = approx cost to club £1.9m
    Maloney £1.25m on £30k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £3.5m
    Reo Coker £8.6m on £30k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £16.5m
    Harewood £4.5m on £35k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £10m
    Knight £4.5m on £35k pw, money recouped £3.5m = approx cost to club £4.6m
    Salifou £250k on £15k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £3m
    Routledge £1.25m on £25k pw, money recouped £600k = approx cost to club £2.5m
    Davies £10m on £30k pw, money recouped £2.5m = approx cost to club £12m
    Sidwell £5.5m on £55k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £12.5m
    Friedel £2.5m on £45k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £9.5
    Guzan £2m on £15k pw, still at club (leaving on a free in july) = approx cost to club £4.3m
    Shorey, £5m on £45k pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £9.5m
    L Young, £5m on £47 pw, money recouped £0 = approx cost to club £12.5m
    Cuellar, £7.8m on £35k pw, still at club (leaving on free in july) = approx cost to club £15m
    Milner, £12m on £55k pw, money recouped £16m = approx cost to club £1.7m
    Heskey, £3.5m on £55k pw, still at club (leaving on free in july) = approx cost to club £13.5m
    Downing, £12m on £55k pw, money recouped £18m = approx cost to club -£300k
    Delph, £8m on £25k pw, still at club = approx cost to club £10.5m
    Beye, £3m on £45k pw, paid off to leave club = approx cost to club £10m
    Warnock, £8m on £50k pw, still at club = approx cost to club £13m
    Collins, £5.5m on £50k pw, still at club = approx cost to club £10.5m
    Dunne, £5m on £55k pw, still at club = approx cost to club £10.5m

that's 26 players signed at an approximate cost in total to the club of £220m, with fees for sold players taken into account. that's right, mon's signings during his time at aston villa cost the club £220,000,000 - almost a quarter of a billion pounds

look at that list, is there a quarter of a billion pounds worth of quality in it?

would you trust a man who spent a quarter of a billion pounds on those players with a job at your club? if your answer is yes, you have serious, serious issues and i really hope that you get a manager just like him one of these days

[/mon discussion]

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You are so out of your depth here

What is that supposed to mean?

Are you interested in posting something constructive about the thread topic, or just lurking and posting one liners every so often?

Andre Villas-Boas
    Damn Helix, I'm too slow today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Paul Lambert
    *sigh*

last one, definitely

he didnt buy big. he bought small and he bought often. 3-8m transfers all the time on average players. had he actually one and spent big money on actual quality players there wouldn't have been an issue

Young £9.5m on £25k pw for 2 years, £55k pw for 2 years, money recouped £16m = approx cost to club £1.9m
    Guzan £2m on £15k pw, still at club (leaving on a free in july) = approx cost to club £4.3m
    Cuellar, £7.8m on £35k pw, still at club (leaving on free in july) = approx cost to club £15m
    Heskey, £3.5m on £55k pw, still at club (leaving on free in july) = approx cost to club £13.5m

that's 26 players signed at an approximate cost in total to the club of £220m, with fees for sold players taken into account. that's right, mon's signings during his time at aston villa cost the club £220,000,000 - almost a quarter of a billion pounds

look at that list, is there a quarter of a billion pounds worth of quality in it?

would you trust a man who spent a quarter of a billion pounds on those players with a job at your club? if your answer is yes, you have serious, serious issues and i really hope that you get a manager just like him one of these days

[/mon discussion]
    Jesus thats bad reading when it's put down in one place like that. Not even a mickey mouse League Cup show for it either

*sigh*

last one, definitely

[/mon discussion]

This post is frankly ridiculous.

Of course you have to spend money to get anywhere in the EPL.

Man City have spent over 1 billion in buying players and wages. Chelsea not far off it, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, them all.

Anyways, you said yourself you're not a Liverpool fan, so clearly you have an interest in MON not getting the job.

Anyways, you said yourself you're not a Liverpool fan, so clearly you have an interest in MON not getting the job.

ive said many times id LOVE him to get the job

id make my bloody year

Andre Villas-Boas
    This post is frankly ridiculous.

No-one is condemning O'Neill for spending money. It's what he spent it on that is the problem. Look at that list. Beye on 45k p/w? Heskey on 55...

Andre Villas-Boas
    Find me a post where I said he should be sacked.

It's obvious from the few posts I looked at that you did.

does that list of players, in your opinion, represent almost a quarter of a billion pounds in quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

How do I turn off the enhanced settings for the visually impaired?

*sigh*

last one, definitely

[/mon discussion]

Most managers would have a track record of spending more than they recoup. What would Mancini's balance sheet look like? O'Neill came very close to getting Villa in the top 4 - a huge achievement these days given the strength and money of those who occupy the top 4 to 6 places in the EPL nowadays.

You think he has destroyed your club I suppose, he actually came very close to bringing your club some real success again. Closer than anyone else that Villa could get to manage them ever would. You're weird.

Rafael Benitez
    It's obvious from the few posts I looked at that you did.
    No,I never did say it once.I argued a lot with people saying he was doing good,alright or not too bad.
    Never once did I say he should be sacked.
    On more than one occasion I mentioned that I couldn't make up my mind on whether he should or not.

• Advertisement

does that list of players, in your opinion, represent almost a quarter of a billion pounds in quality?

Weirdo.

G.K. wrote: »
    No-one is condemning O'Neill for spending money. It's what he spent it on that is the problem. Look at that list. Beye on 45k p/w? Heskey on 55...

Find me a club where there isn't a few donkeys on big wages?

Berbatov is on 100k a week if not more, yet hardly ever plays these days, and he never gets a run out in the CL, Torres not a donkey, but he's only a squad player now and on huge money, Ballotelli at Man City, Arshavin recently at Arsenal and plenty more besides.

Heskey was with him at Leicester and he was his type of player and you are always going to have over paid players in every squad, every EPL player is overpaid.

Most managers would have a track record of spending more than they recoup

do most managers have a track record of so many of their signings, who cost a few bob, leaving for nothing?

can you honestly say that list of players is worth anything close to what it cost the club?

Andre Villas-Boas
    No,I never did say it once.I argued a lot with people saying he was doing good,alright or not too bad.
    Never once did I say he should be sacked.
    On more than one occasion I mentioned that I couldn't make up my mind on whether he should or not.

Fair enough, just going by the gif you posted the other day when we taught Kenny would be kept on, it didn't seem like a person who was split.

alternatively, have a look at that big long list full of them

it's not a few. it was never a few. it wasn't mostly good signings with the occasional bad one. it wasnt even an even split. it was top to bottom waste

Andre Villas-Boas

Berbatov is on 100k a week if not more, yet hardly ever plays these days, and he never gets a run out in the CL, Torres not a donkey, but he's only a squad player now and on huge money, Ballotelli at Man City, Arshavin recently at Arsenal and plenty more besides.

Heskey was with him at Leicester and he was his type of player and you are always going to have over paid players in every squad, every EPL player is overpaid.

One or two yes. Not the best part of all 26 signings....

And those clubs have a bit more of a financial clout than Villa.

and MON harly ever used some of them, so why were their wages needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

G.K. wrote: »
    No-one is condemning O'Neill for spending money. It's what he spent it on that is the problem. Look at that list. Beye on 45k p/w? Heskey on 65...
    Theres a problem with those figures. For a start they are all guesses, no concrete evidence that these players are actually on that money even though they are put up in that post as fact.

A lot of wage figures that people guess at are whats actually payable to a player if he hits all the clauses in his contract. Keith Andrews for instance was playing for a much poorer club(Blackburn). Andrews came from league two to Rovers and was nothing more than cover. He was on 20k a week in 2010 due to a clause in his contract being activated as he played more often than was expected. I'd expect Heskey to be on a lot more than some guy that came from a league two club. Even a player who came from the Championship would be on more money than Andrews one would imagine.

The average Premier league wage in 2011 was 22k per week before any bonuses.

do most managers have a track record of so many of their signings, who cost a few bob, leaving for nothing?

can you honestly say that list of players is worth anything close to what it cost the club?

Did MON steal sweets from you when you were a child or something?

Your hatred of him really is pathological, almost personal.

Do you think Alex McLeish was a better manager than MON?

eagle eye wrote: »
    The average Premier league wage in 2011 was 22k per week before any bonuses.

and at the start of last season aston villa were the 41st highest paying team in any sport IN THE WORLD

Helix, I really don't have the time or energy to debate this with you, since you seem to have lots of it.

You have to admit he done a great job at Sunderland without buying a single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

FWIW out of the list of realistic targets I'd personally give Paul Lambert a go. Guy has just constantly impressed me over the last few years. His use of his squad has been excellent, starting different personnel depending on opposition, making key and shrewed formation/player changes during games when necessary, changes which gained them plenty of points over the season. Even from his interviews his intelligence and ambition comes across very strongly imo. He gives me a lot of confidence that he'd be well capable of stepping up, more so than any of the other Premier league candidates.

• Advertisement

Did MON steal sweets from you when you were a child or something?

Your hatred of him really is pathological, almost personal.

Do you think Alex McLeish was a better manager than MON?

1) no, but he almost ruined the club i support
    2) no, i have a glass on the table in front of me that would be a better manager than alex mcleish.

lets ask you some questions now, yes or no answers only please...

1) do you think martin o'neill is a great manager?
    2) do you think his transfer expenditure was reasonable?
    3) do you think he bought well at aston villa?
    4) do you think he used the players he bought well?
    5) do you think that list, at a cost of £220, represents value for money?
    6) do you think martin o'neill can be trusted to buy players, based on that list?
    7) see question 1 and answer again

just answer those questions, yes or no, based on the list above. i dont want to hear about all managers making bad signings every so often, or every club having a few donkeys, or needing to spend money to do anything in the premiership. just yes or no answers to those questions based on the players martin o'neill bought at aston villa please

Good point rekop.

Also, I think many of the players at Norwich this season came up from the Championship too, Holt, Hoolahan and few more.

Definitely think he done a far better job than Martinez this season and without spending big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rekop dog wrote: »
    FWIW out of the list of realistic targets I'd personally give Paul Lambert a go. Guy has just constantly impressed me over the last few years. His use of his squad has been excellent, starting different personnel depending on opposition, making key and shrewed formation/player changes during games when necessary, changes which gained them plenty of points over the season. Even from his interviews his intelligence and ambition comes across very strongly imo. He gives me a lot of confidence that he'd be well capable of stepping up, more so than any of the other Premier league candidates.
    I'd agree that he is the best candidate of the younger managers. Its always going to be a bigger risk bringing in a younger less experienced manager but for the reasons you state there, particularly that he uses his squad depth, he looks the type to make it to the top.

Good point rekop.

Also, I think many of the players at Norwich this season came up from the Championship too, Holt, Hoolahan and few more.

Definitely think he done a far better job than Martinez this season and without spending big.

always a risk taking on a manager after just one season in the premiership though, particularly for a promoted club. could certainly work out, but there's also the second season syndrome to be taken into account. i think lambert would be as well taking a bigger job now while he can, he might not have the same draw this time next year

Rafael Benitez
    Fair enough, just going by the gif you posted the other day when we taught Kenny would be kept on, it didn't seem like a person who was split.
    Harmless fun niallo,there was a part of me that wanted him kept on for the sake of something to talk about in threads like that one.
    It will be a more boring soccer forum without our Kenneth.......
    If Suarez leaves I'm outta here :D

Andre Villas-Boas
    Harmless fun niallo,there was a part of me that wanted him kept on for the sake of something to talk about in threads like that one.

Fair enough, if Rafa comes back this place will go bonkers.

There's always something to talk about with Liverpool. Trust me, if Martinez was appointed, threads galore!!!!!

Rafael Benitez
    There's always something to talk about with Liverpool. Trust me, if Martinez was appointed, threads galore!!!!!
    True.You know it would be the same if it was United.The sheer volume of both sets of fans will ensure that.

When Fergie finally calls it a day this place will really take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Kenny in to steady the ship until a permanent replacement can be found.

So much for that idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2146483/Liverpool-rejected-Brendan-Rodgers-Jurgan-Klopp.html

that article says martinez spoke to villa yesterday...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement