Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    Helix wrote: »
    that article says martinez spoke to villa yesterday...

Also says no announcements are expected over the weekend, so expect them to go with Matinez tomorrow......most likely around 7:44 to overshadow the CL final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1) no, but he almost ruined the club i support
    2) no, i have a glass on the table in front of me that would be a better manager than alex mcleish.

lets ask you some questions now, yes or no answers only please...

1) do you think martin o'neill is a great manager?
    2) do you think his transfer expenditure was reasonable?
    3) do you think he bought well at aston villa?
    4) do you think he used the players he bought well?
    5) do you think that list, at a cost of £220, represents value for money?
    6) do you think martin o'neill can be trusted to buy players, based on that list?
    7) see question 1 and answer again

just answer those questions, yes or no, based on the list above. i dont want to hear about all managers making bad signings every so often, or every club having a few donkeys, or needing to spend money to do anything in the premiership. just yes or no answers to those questions based on the players martin o'neill bought at aston villa please

obviously not going to get an answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

obviously not going to get an answer...

not going to throw fuel on the fire :)

plasmaguy wrote: »
    not going to throw fuel on the fire :)

convenient

wouldnt be because your answers will be at odds with your claims that he's a great manager would it? its funny, nobody on that side of the fence ever answers those same questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

convenient

wouldnt be because your answers will be at odds with your claims that he's a great manager would it? its funny, nobody on that side of the fence ever answers those same questions

What side of the fence are you talking about? You have an unhealthy and strange thing going on in your head about MON. Can I suggest it might be time for you to move on and think about something, anything else.

What side of the fence are you talking about?

the side that thinks he's a great manager

the side that thinks he's a great manager

He's not a great manager but he's a very good manager, good enough for Liverpool in their current predicament. He would make them a top 4 club again after one season in charge. If he was offered the job and took it I would put money on that outcome.

He's not a great manager but he's a very good manager, good enough for Liverpool in their current predicament. He would make them a top 4 club again after one season in charge. If he was offered the job and took it I would put money on that outcome.

why don't you have a stab at those questions above too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

loads of rumours on twitter right now that Roy Evans is to be announced in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Marcello Bielsa
    Martinez, they're finalising the contract now, should be announced by Monday. 4th choice by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    You have to admit he done a great job at Sunderland without buying a single player.

This is the other side of O'Neill ball.

Yeah, the fire and brimstone / get intensely organised stuff most definitely works for a while. But when it wears off over the course of a long season there is no plan B. He's not great tactically, and he doesn't know how to rotate a squad effectively over the course of a season.

I mean, Sunderland got a great short term boost from him, but they did go on holiday a few games before the season ended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Roberto Martinez
    Why is O'Neill being blamed on the fact that average players are being paid huge wages? He would have nothing to do with setting wages for players. The fault for this lies squarely with Lerner for employing people willing to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Pep Guardiola
    markesmith wrote: »
    Martinez, they're finalising the contract now, should be announced by Monday. 4th choice by all accounts.

Where did you hear/see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Why is O'Neill being blamed on the fact that average players are being paid huge wages? He would have nothing to do with setting wages for players. The fault for this lies squarely with Lerner for employing people willing to do this.

Apparently O'Neill had total control over that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Roberto Martinez
    For real? Jesus Christ that is mental from Lerner. Even Fergie doesn't do that stuff at United anymore.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    I think that was the case, can't say that for 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    markesmith wrote: »

Hold the phone.
    No such deal in place at this time.
    Smart money on AVB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Interviewees arrive at Anfield this morning -

AtQEJSzCQAEjFGK.jpg

why don't you have a stab at those questions above too

Those questions could be placed against any manager. He's a football manager, they all waste money, every one of them FFS. Give over with your weird obsession will ya.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Helix doesn't have an obsession, he's merely pointing out a fact.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »

A fact that applies to most or nearly all football managers in the EPL. He's got a weird obsession with MON, essentially he is trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Helix does have an obsession with trashing MON at every given opportunity. He wasn't happy when O'Neill got the job at Villa and never ever relented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A fact that applies to most or nearly all football managers in the EPL. He's got a weird obsession with MON, essentially he is trolling.

Not to the same scale of MON though. Very few managers have spend as much as MON on wages and transfers and won absolutely nothing in that time while only ever reaching the Europa League, and the ones that have aren't on a pedestal as high as MON is for some people.

Not to the same scale of MON though. Very few managers have spend as much as MON on wages and transfers and won absolutely nothing in that time while only ever reaching the Europa League, and the ones that have aren't on a pedestal as high as MON is for some people.

You state your opinion like it's a fact. I would dispute what you say.

All I know for certain is that when Martin O'Neill goes to a club, the results for that club improves. If it's the case that he is able to persuade chairmen to give him money to spend on players, surely that's a good thing, surely that's one of the things some supporters want from a manager?

He doesn't always spend big money btw, he has spent very little at Sunderland and didn't spend much at Leicester when he was successful there. Look at what happened Leicester when he left btw, they got relegated and have never been back in the top flight. I think there's a bit of a weird attitude among some posters around here about MON, some of it is basically trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    any chance the MON talk can be knocked on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Andre Villas-Boas
    Have always wanted to see what Benitez could do with proper financial backing.

You state your opinion like it's a fact. I would dispute what you say.

All I know for certain is that when Martin O'Neill goes to a club, the results for that club improves. If it's the case that he is able to persuade chairmen to give him money to spend on players, surely that's a good thing, surely that's one of the things some supporters want from a manager?

He doesn't always spend big money btw, he has spent very little at Sunderland and didn't spend much at Leicester when he was successful there. Look at what happened Leicester when he left btw, they got relegated and have never been back in the top flight. I think there's a bit of a weird attitude among some posters around here about MON, some of it is basically trolling.

Give me a list of managers who have spent as much as him and won nothing and whos peak finish was 6th and Europa League then.

mike65 wrote: »
    and chance the MON talk can be knocked on the head?

Oh I know, it's the wrong thread, but I'm adamant about what I'm saying.
    It should be discussed in a MON thread. However it came up here because I was talking about how Mark Lawrenson has made it known in the past that he would like O'Neill to get the Liverpool job. Then Helix comes along with his negative obsession about MON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    You say that like he was on a shoestring budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

cambo2008 wrote: »
    You say that like he was on a shoestring budget.

He had backing for a while and when he did he was close in the league. But the money dried up and the cowboys messed things up.

I would also like to see Rafa back, but I think FSG want a different set up to what Rafa would offer. They seem to want a coach with a director of football. This would suit a manager like AVB more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    Oh I know, it's the wrong thread, but I'm adamant about what I'm saying.
    It should be discussed in a MON thread. However it came up here because I was talking about how Mark Lawrenson has made it known in the past that he would like O'Neill to get the Liverpool job. Then Helix comes along with his negative obsession about MON.

Lawrenson recommending him or anyone should automatically remove them from consideration.

Give me a list of managers who have spent as much as him and won nothing and whos peak finish was 6th and Europa League then.

Off the top of my head I don't know, Kenny Dalglish is one. He didn't spend much at Leicester and got them into Europe via League Cup wins. He didn't spend much at Wycombe and brought unprecedented success there. He spent money at Celtic but he made Celtic competitive in Europe again for the first time in decades. He spent money at Villa, but he had them challenging for a CL spot. When he took over at Sunderland they were heading for relegation and went on a winning streak that saved them, with little or no investment. Martin O'Neill is a very good football manager, I don't get some of the attitude from some posters here about him.

That's the last I'm going to say about MON on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Roberto Martinez and Andre Villas-Boas will be decent choices but I would like to see AVB get the job at this stage.

Off the top of my head I don't know, Kenny Dalglish is one. He didn't spend much at Leicester and got them into Europe via League Cup wins. He didn't spend much at Wycombe and brought unprecedented success there. He spent money at Celtic but he made Celtic competitive in Europe again for the first time in decades. He spent money at Villa, but he had them challenging for a CL spot. When he took over at Sunderland they were heading for relegation and went on a winning streak that saved them, with little or no investment. Martin O'Neill is a very good football manager, I don't get some of the attitude from some posters here about him.

So it is a fact, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Lawrenson recommending him or anyone should automatically remove them from consideration.
    .....awaits Lawro to recommend Mourinho, Guardiola et al.:D

So it is a fact, thanks.

That's not what I said.

Andre Villas-Boas

I'm Wycombe born and bred, and I still live here. MON is appreciated for what he did here but Wycombe and Liverpool can't really be compared. Of course he didn't spend much here. We were non-league.

But MON is weak on the transfer front. Of all the forwards in the world, he tried to buy Kevin Davies in January. When Villa were pushing for 4th, he could only sign Heskey. Not someone who could push them into the CL.

I'm Wycombe born and bred, and I still live here. MON is appreciated for what he did here but Wycombe and Liverpool can't really be compared. Of course he didn't spend much here. We were non-league.

But MON is weak on the transfer front. Of all the forwards in the world, he tried to buy Kevin Davies in January. When Villa were pushing for 4th, he could only sign Heskey. Not someone who could push them into the CL.

I disagree. If he was given the Liverpool job he would definitely put them in the CL within 1 season.

He is a better or at least comparable manager than some recent Liverpool managers that have actually been given the job like Hodgson or Souness for example. He has a better track record and more experience than others who are being touted for the job like Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert.

Of course he has the credentials for the Liverpool job and I would bet heavily on it that he would have them qualified for the CL next season if he was given the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    He is a better or at least comparable manager than some recent Liverpool managers that have actually been given the job like Hodgson or Souness for example.

They're the two worst managers the clubs had in the modern era!!!! Ha :D

Those questions could be placed against any manager. He's a football manager, they all waste money, every one of them FFS. Give over with your weird obsession will ya.

so youre not going to answer them, that's basically what you're saying? grand. typical mon fan, dancing around the facts and stats and throwing out the "sure every manager does it". no other manager does it to the extent or scale he did it at villa. throw your hands up and admit it, you didnt think he spent as much, you thought he spent it better, and you actually think the list is a bit of a disaster

That's not what I said.

It pretty much is. You can't disprove what I said, mainly because it's not possible. Also not sure why you mentioned Kenny Dalglish.

It pretty much is. You can't disprove what I said, mainly because it's not possible. Also not sure why you mentioned Kenny Dalglish.

i owe you a few bob sir

pm me your paypal info

It pretty much is.
    No it isn't
    You can't disprove what I said, mainly because it's not possible.
    I might do if I looked it up, you can't say for definite that you are factually correct either, it's just your opinion man. Besides MON has managed lots of other clubs other than Villa and hasn't always spent big money but still achieved success.
    Also not sure why you mentioned Kenny Dalglish.
    What do you not understand about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,291 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas
    What do you not understand about that?

The point was made about o neills achievements in his career in total geddit now;)

• Advertisement

so youre not going to answer them, that's basically what you're saying? grand. typical mon fan, dancing around the facts and stats and throwing out the "sure every manager does it". no other manager does it to the extent or scale he did it at villa. throw your hands up and admit it, you didnt think he spent as much, you thought he spent it better, and you actually think the list is a bit of a disaster

This highlighted bit is factually incorrect, lots of managers at lots of clubs have wasted lots of money. O'Neill has managed lots of other clubs btw and largely been successful at those clubs btw. Your negative obsession with him is weird.

i owe you a few bob sir

pm me your paypal info

Oh hero. Had forgotten about that one. Fair play, will sent it now.

This highlighted bit is factually incorrect, lots of managers at lots of clubs have wasted lots of money. O'Neill has managed lots of other clubs btw and largely been successful at those clubs btw. Your negative obsession with him is weird.

celtic were in fairly bad shape financially after he left them

and didnt he burden leicester with the same old story of old average players on big long contracts before he jumped ship?

show me one other manager who wasted a quarter of a billion pounds on players of the same quality level that martin o'neill did

are you defending that list of 26 signings he made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,291 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas

His success has been relative, villa was his biggest job and it only went ok, nothing to suggest he can do it at the top level

Cyrus wrote: »
    His success has been relative, villa was his biggest job and it only went ok, nothing to suggest he can do it at the top level
    Nonsense. No one would ever be given a job if they took your approach.

It's Liverpool's call but if they were not to consider him and give the job to a relative novice like Martinez, that would be nuts in my view.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement