Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    O'Neill will NEVER be good enough.

Martinez might be.

That's the difference.

And that is why if Martinez gets the job, he'll not experience what Hodgson experienced (combined obviously with the fact the he won't behave like Hodgson did).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,291 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas
    Mr Alan wrote: »

Martinez might be.

That's the difference.

And that is why if Martinez gets the job, he'll not experience what Hodgson experienced (combined obviously with the fact the he won't behave like Hodgson did).

Correct

Andre Villas-Boas
    Cyrus wrote: »
    His success has been relative, villa was his biggest job and it only went ok, nothing to suggest he can do it at the top level
    Nonsense. No one would ever be given a job if they took your approach.

It's Liverpool's call but if they were not to consider him and give the job to a relative novice like Martinez, that would be nuts in my view.

Saying nonsense doesn't make you any less wrong, with Martinez there's a chance he won't be good enough but o Neill definitely isn't

Anyway when is rafa coming back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Saying nonsense doesn't make you any less wrong, with Martinez there's a chance he won't be good enough but o Neill definitely isn't

O'Neill definitely is good enough to be manager of Liverpool, if you think any different you are deluding yourself.

Andre Villas-Boas

O'Neill definitely is good enough to be manager of Liverpool, if you think any different you are deluding yourself.

No he isn't and you are delusional

Martinez might be.

That's the difference.

Madness. Is it any wonder that Liverpool have steadily fallen down the pecking order in English football in recent years, with deluded fans like you so called "supporting" them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you are deluding yourself.

says the man who refuses to answer a few simple questions about o'neill so that he doesnt admit that he's not as good as he thinks

Marcello Bielsa
    Yea, it's my fault Liverpool have had a poor few seasons! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Of course he has the credentials for the Liverpool job and I would bet heavily on it that he would have them qualified for the CL next season if he was given the job.

I think he would do ok but he would have to spend a lot to get them in the top four which is why FSG are looking at AVB and Martinez. Both could do a decent job with what is already there and spend wisely in the market.

AVB for me would be the perfect fit for me and I'm a United fan. He is young, would bring his own ideas while playing attractive football. Plus he will have a point to prove and would be a man on a mission, prove to Roman and the media he is a good manager.

I think the fact Martinez has been heavily linked with the job shows how far Liverpool have fallen in recent years. Chelsea job is available and not one paper has mentioned his name with the vacancy.

I'm not trying to cause an argument but for Liverpool to move forward I think they need to bring in AVB. He can attract a higher calibre of player and is respected around Europe.

Final point, AVB is being linked with Roma and Martinez is being linked with Villa, FSG must make a statement with this appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Keep it up so. ;)

• Advertisement

Yes he is, and clearly so are you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Every club he has ever been at improved when he was manager. How do you make the assumption that this wouldn't happen at Liverpool?

Helix wrote: »
    says the man who refuses to answer a few simple questions about o'neill so that he doesnt admit that he's not as good as he thinks

I'm not talking to you anymore weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    You could just answer his questions...

I'm not talking to you anymore weirdo.

so convenient

never ever before have i seen someone dodge questions as much as you. are you that scared of looking stupid that you've resorted to acting like a 2 year old. answer the questions and people might take you seriously

The supporters are an important component of any club, they have to be kept onside. If you are anything to go by or are typical of a Liverpool fan, then the owners of Liverpool have an impossible task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No it isn't

I might do if I looked it up, you can't say for definite that you are factually correct either, it's just your opinion man. Besides MON has managed lots of other clubs other than Villa and hasn't always spent big money but still achieved success.

What do you not understand about that?

Not sure when Kenny Dalglish has done what MON has terms if big spending and wages. Of course you won't look it up though to prove me wrong though.

so convenient

never ever before have i seen someone dodge questions as much as you. are you that scared of looking stupid that you've resorted to acting like a 2 year old. answer the questions and people might take you seriously

You are a troll and a waste of time. Weirdo.

You are a troll and a waste of time. Weirdo.

pathetic

so little conviction in your own opinion that you won't answer questions because you know it'll make you look stupid

youve done your credibility absolutely no favours

• Advertisement

pathetic

so little conviction in your own opinion that you won't answer questions because you know it'll make you look stupid

I tell you what. If you put up the outgoings and incoming balance sheet of every manager that has managed in the EPL over the last 20 years I will then sit down and compare and contrast where O'Neill stands re his stint at Villa.

BTW as I said earlier he has managed at other clubs and achieved success at other clubs too. You put it up.

pathetic

There is nothing pathetic about not discussing it with you. You have always been anti-MON and you are the type that will never relent. O'Neill could go off and win the Champion's League and the EPL and you'd start talking up the assistant manager as responsible for the success or something else ridiculous like that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Paul Lambert
    I tell you what. If you put up the outgoings and incoming balance sheet of every manager that has managed in the EPL over the last 20 years I will then sit down and compare and contrast where O'Neill stands re his stint at Villa.

BTW as I said earlier he has managed at other clubs and achieved success at other clubs too. You put it up.

Someone should really add MON to the poll to justify all these posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Jesus lads, this thread has been dragged arseways with the MON talk. Just let it go FFS.

Personally, i'd like Marcelo Bielsa to attempt to take the club forward. Martinez? Absolutely not.

Kenny & Comolli unfortunately, due to their pathetic purchases over the past 18 months, have put the club in a terrible position.

daRobot wrote: »
    Jesus lads, this thread has been dragged arseways with the MON talk. Just let it go FFS.

Personally, i'd like Marcelo Bielsa to attempt to take the club forward. Martinez? Absolutely not.

Kenny & Comolli unfortunately, due to their pathetic purchases over the past 18 months, have put the club in a terrible position.

MON,MON,MON,MON,MON,MON,MON,MON,.......... Only messin.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paul Lambert
    love to see benitez with owners that are actually looking to back him. love him back

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    love to see benitez with owners that are actually looking to back him. love him back
    He was backed at Liverpool for a good number of years. He spent over £100 million net in his first four seasons.

Marcello Bielsa
    eagle eye wrote: »
    He was backed at Liverpool for a good number of years. He spent over £100 million net in his first four seasons.

If only we had anything to show for it during that time!

If I was arsed, I'd now post pics of the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Torres, Reina, Istanbul, Cardiff, the tonking of Real Madrid, the tonking of Utd etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paul Lambert

the one season where he was truly needed to be backed to push on and clinch the title was after the season liverpool finished second and the owners didnt give him a pot to piss in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    Lads, can you stop harping on about Martin O'Neill? He is almost certainly not going to be managing us next year. I mean for feck's sake, he's barely a wet weekend in his existing position.

If only we had anything to show for it during that time!

If I was arsed, I'd now post pics of the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Torres, Reina, Istanbul, Cardiff, the tonking of Real Madrid, the tonking of Utd etc etc etc.
    I think he is an excellent manager. I do think though he had to go when he did. It looked like the pressures of the job had taken a toll on the man.

I don't think bringing him back now is a good idea either. I think FSG have to make a statement with their next manager. It has to be a bold forward thinking move. If it doesn't work out then by all means go take Rafa back but they need to show they had a plan when they sacked Kenny with their next move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Andre Villas-Boas
    I think he is an excellent manager. I do think though he had to go when he did. It looked like the pressures of the job had taken a toll on the man.

Ever notice how the pressure of the job started to take it's toll after Hicks and Gillett took over. Everything was on the up and up until they showed up and bled the club of funds. It was H&G who had to go, not Rafa. Unfortunately, they held out longer :(
    I don't think bringing him back now is a good idea either. I think FSG have to make a statement with their next manager. It has to be a bold forward thinking move. If it doesn't work out then by all means go take Rafa back but they need to show they had a plan when they sacked Kenny with their next move.

I think it's an awesome idea, provided that the owners are willing to give him 3/4 years to get back challenging for the title. He loves the club, has worked with half the players there, knows the youth system, knows the league and has challenged for the title before. I'd say he'd have us fighting for 4th again straight away, but to break the Manchester clubs dominance will take a bit more time (as you could say for any manager they bring in). You're right that they have to make a statement with their next appointment and if they screw it up, they won't be able to back to Rafa because of the backlash of "well, why didn't you get him last time".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I'm not sure how much of the managerial or tactical genius of Benitez was the reason for liverpool winning the CL in 2005.

1. He didn't get them into the CL in 2005, Houlier did.

2. Benitez inherited the majority of players from Houlier and previous managers.

3. They were dead and buried in the group stages, until Gerard scored a wonder goal.

4. The goal against Chelsea in the semis was the dodgiest goal in CL history.

5. Benitez plan A for the CL final was blown out of the water when AC Milan went 3-0 up. He was forced to turn to a plan B. But Steven Gerard deserves far far more credit for winning that final than Rafa Benitez.

Benitez is no genius. He spent a sh*tload of money, almost bankrupted the club and did nothing to develop young players at the club, instead going for big money spendings. Yes he had occassional good wins here or there in the CL and league, but none of the consistancy to win the league.

The rose tinted glasses always come out looking at the Benitez era. He was an average manager of Liverpool at best and he always spent big with mixed results.

But hey bring him back, don't think things will be different this time and I know some pool fans think the guy is god, but like I said the credit he deserves for winning the CL is minimal, its players like Gerard who deserve the most amount of credit.

celtic were in fairly bad shape financially after he left them

and didnt he burden leicester with the same old story of old average players on big long contracts before he jumped ship?

show me one other manager who wasted a quarter of a billion pounds on players of the same quality level that martin o'neill did

are you defending that list of 26 signings he made?

Alex Ferguson must have made 100 signings as Man Utd manager, at least a quarter of who turned out to be donkeys, while many of the rest are vastly overpaid.

Every manager signs players. It's not who you sign that counts. It's where you finished in the league.

O'Neill got Villa to 6th in the league 3 years in a row and into the Europa League.

He would have got them into the CL if the owners had invested a few more quid.

MON wasn't just a good manager of Villa, he was an outstanding manager.

Of all those mentioned, Lambert, Martinez, Rodgers, MON and others, MON is the stand out candidate. If he could get a club like Villa to the verge of the CL, he could certainly get Liverpool into the CL.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Deary me...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of the managerial or tactical genius of Benitez was the reason for liverpool winning the CL in 2005.

2. Benitez inherited the majority of players from Houlier and previous managers.

3. They were dead and buried in the group stages, until Gerard scored a wonder goal.

5. Benitez plan A for the CL final was blown out of the water when AC Milan went 3-0 up. He was forced to turn to a plan B. But Steven Gerard deserves far far more credit for winning that final than Rafa Benitez.

Benitez is no genius. He spent a sh*tload of money, almost bankrupted the club and did nothing to develop young players at the club, instead going for big money spendings. Yes he had occassional good wins here or there in the CL and league, but none of the consistancy to win the league.

The rose tinted glassed always come out looking at the Benitez era. He was an average manager of Liverpool at best and he always spent big with mixed results.

But hey bring him back, don't think things will be different this time and I know some pool fans think the guy is god, but like I said the credit he deserves for winning the CL is minimal, its players like Gerard who deserve the most amount of credit.

FFS

headdesk.gif

How do you manage to dress yourself in the morning? I've read some retarded things on here but that post takes the cake

FFS

headdesk.gif

How do you manage to dress yourself in the morning? I've read some retarded things on here but that post takes the cake

I usually know when I am right, when someone resorts to name calling.

Your post reported in any case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The rose tinted glasses always come out looking at the Benitez era. He was an average manager of Liverpool at best and he always spent big with mixed results.

Would i get banned for calling someone an absolutely clueless ****ing idiot?

I usually know when I am right, when someone resorts to name calling.

Your post reported in any case.

You hadnt heard of Eden Hazard last week and then 3 days later were saying he is a good player in an average league and will never amount to anything more than an average player. You are laughable, every single thing you post makes me cringe more and more.

Melion wrote: »
    Would i get banned for calling someone an absolutely clueless ****ing idiot?

Here we go, out with the rose tinted glasses.

Benitez god, could do no wrong, etc etc.

Like I said he was an average manager who spent big with mixed results.

FACT :)

You hadnt heard of Eden Hazard last week and then 3 days later were saying he is a good player in an average league and will never amount to anything more than an average player. You are laughable, every single thing you post makes me cringe more and more.

Haven't heard of him, because he plays in an average league and I don't buy into the hype unlike you who assumes that because someone does well in an average league, they are world class.

• Advertisement

You saying Gerrard won us the CL that year shows how clueless you are. Rafa introducing Hamann at half time won us that final, not Gerrard who tbh was very poor bar his goal. He didnt do a whole lot else apart from dive for the penalty and play hoof-ball when he was switched to right back.

Haven't heard of him, because he plays in an average league and I don't buy into the hype unlike you who assumes that because someone does well in an average league, they are world class.

Because ive watched him play?
    Maybe you should widen your horizons beyond the premier league and you'll actually see there are good footballers out there apart from the ones Sky talk about.

Do people disagree with the fact that Benitez Plan A for the CL final in Istanbul was sh*t?

Benitez was an average manager who spent big.

Because ive watched him play?
    Maybe you should widen your horizons beyond the premier league and you'll actually see there are good footballers out there apart from the ones Sky talk about.

You have watched him play in the French League, a second tier league.

What game did you watch him play in?

Andre Villas-Boas
    Alex Ferguson must have made 100 signings as Man Utd manager, at least a quarter of who turned out to be donkeys, while many of the rest are vastly overpaid.

Every manager signs players. It's not who you sign that counts.

O'Neill got Villa to 6th in the league 3 years in a row and into the Europa League.

He would have got them into the CL if the owners had invested a few more quid.

MON wasn't just a good manager of Villa, he was an outstanding manager.

Of all those mentioned, Lambert, Martinez, Rodgers, MON and others, MON is the stand out candidate. If he could get a club like Villa to the verge of the CL, he could certainly get Liverpool into the CL.

A) Of course it's who you sign that counts. See Liverpool this season.
    B) That's not a unique thing for Villa in the modern day. They achieved the same 4 seasons before MON, and also both 4 and 5 years before that.
    C) Or perhaps if MON's January signings had been better than Heskey and Routledge over his 3 6th seasons. In 08/09 other CL challenging sides bought in the following attacking players in January: Arshavin, Quaresma, Jo, Bellamy, Tosic, Defoe, Keane. Heskey is nowhere near that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Rafa. Twice UEFA manager of the year with two different clubs. Won La Liga without having to be Barca/Real. Gave Liverpool the CL and the best league finish in 22 years.

I think it's hilarious that all you can say about him is "he spent big". Daglish "spent big" too at the same club and look at the state they're in now.

You saying Gerrard won us the CL that year shows how clueless you are. Rafa introducing Hamann at half time won us that final, not Gerrard who tbh was very poor bar his goal. He didnt do a whole lot else apart from dive for the penalty and play hoof-ball when he was switched to right back.

And scored from a header.

Scored one, made the second.

G.K. wrote: »
    A) Of course it's who you sign that counts. See Liverpool this season.
    B) That's not a unique thing for Villa in the modern day. They achieved the same 4 seasons before MON, and also both 4 and 5 years before that.
    C) Or perhaps if MON's January signings had been better than Heskey and Routledge over his 3 6th seasons. In 08/09 other CL challenging sides bought in the following attacking players in January: Arshavin, Quaresma, Jo, Bellamy, Tosic, Defoe, Keane. Heskey is nowhere near that level.

In fairness, using Arshavin as an example defeats your argument. The guy was only at Arsenal to take a paycheque, the laziest most disinterested player ever to play in the EPL.

Do people disagree with the fact that Benitez Plan A for the CL final in Istanbul was sh*t?

Benitez was an average manager who spent big.

Surely him having such a succesful plan B makes him much better than average? Thats like saying Ancelloti is an average manager because he couldnt cope with Rafas plan B

• Advertisement

And scored from a header.

Scored one, made the second.

Pretty sure i said he was poor BAR his goal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement