Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

plasmaguy wrote: »

Some of his signings, Villa made profits on while he was there or after he left, Young, Downing, Barry, Milner.

if we add in the money liverpool received for torres, masch, babel etc etc etc since rafa left then liverpool actually made a tidy profit...

but according to you he nearly bankrupted them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of the managerial or tactical genius of Benitez was the reason for liverpool winning the CL in 2005.

1. He didn't get them into the CL in 2005, Houlier did.

2. Benitez inherited the majority of players from Houlier and previous managers.

3. They were dead and buried in the group stages, until Gerard scored a wonder goal.

4. The goal against Chelsea in the semis was the dodgiest goal in CL history.

5. Benitez plan A for the CL final was blown out of the water when AC Milan went 3-0 up. He was forced to turn to a plan B. But Steven Gerard deserves far far more credit for winning that final than Rafa Benitez.

Benitez is no genius. He spent a sh*tload of money, almost bankrupted the club and did nothing to develop young players at the club, instead going for big money spendings. Yes he had occassional good wins here or there in the CL and league, but none of the consistancy to win the league.

The rose tinted glasses always come out looking at the Benitez era. He was an average manager of Liverpool at best and he always spent big with mixed results.

But hey bring him back, don't think things will be different this time and I know some pool fans think the guy is god, but like I said the credit he deserves for winning the CL is minimal, its players like Gerard who deserve the most amount of credit.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Wouldn't fancy Rafa back. Did a good job overall but i think we very lucky in some of the big European games. Not taking anything away but we were a poor side that won in 2005 and our league position proved that.

He brought in some great players but also a lot of poor ones. I could have imagined him there for 20 years and still never won the league and i really felt he could never take us on to that extra step.

Jose, SAF and Wenger were just another level. Since then City are now on the scene which means another CL place gone.

I would like Capello to get the job. He has a great CV as a club manager and would command automatic respect.

Although whats the chances of Rednapp being on the shortlist? Nothing has surfaced as yet. Spurs seemed happy to let him go for the England job and it didnt happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Great post.

Only great ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,291 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas
    alan kelly wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy Rafa back. Did a good job overall but i think we very lucky in some of the big European games. Not taking anything away but we were a poor side that won in 2005 and our league position proved that.

He brought in some great players but also a lot of poor ones. I could have imagined him there for 20 years and still never won the league and i really felt he could never take us on to that extra step.

Jose, SAF and Wenger were just another level. Since then City are now on the scene which means another CL place gone.

I would like Capello to get the job. He has a great CV as a club manager and would command automatic respect.

Although whats the chances of Rednapp being on the shortlist? Nothing has surfaced as yet. Spurs seemed happy to let him go for the England job and it didnt happen.

Believe it or not any side that gets to two cl finals will ride their luck

And Harry redknapp are you serious? He isn't fit to scout for rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Believe it or not any side that gets to two cl finals will ride their luck

And Harry redknapp are you serious? He isn't fit to scout for rafa

I agree with the ride the luck quote. Unfortunately the "ride the luck factor" goes out the window when you only qualify from the league position. We need someone who can bring consistent league form.

Also i didnt say i wanted harry. I just said im surprised he hasnt been linked yet. Would Harry be better than our buddies from Swansea or Wigan?

Either way i wouldnt fancy him in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Rodgers and Martinez are clued in tactically, you have to give them that. Harry barely rates tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It must be a bit scary for Liverpool fans that Brendan Rodgers has rejected advances.

I know Liverpool tried to get Martin O'Neill a few years back with people like Mark Lawrenson full sure he would take the job. I wonder is it because O'Neill turned them down a few years ago - for family reasons it was at the time - that some Liverpool fans around here reject the notion of O'Neill. O'Neill has the experience and track record and would have no fear taking over Liverpool. He would get them punching their weight and would get the most out of Andy Carroll in particular. Liverpool would be back in the top four guaranteed next season if they got O'Neill. Martinez, Rodgers and some of the other names bandied about would be gambles in comparison.

Coming up on 24 hours now since this post opened the floodgates. Just leave them at it Helix, Sunderland's transfer business this summer will tell it's own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Rafael Benitez
    Getting away from the Aston Vanilla :D thing!

Are people impressed or concerned by the wide net cast by our new owners?

Personally I'm impressed.

And I firmly believe AVB will become the next boss.

I thought it was bit strange having so many candidates. If it was City I'd prefer they had a very good idea who they wanted. Having 3-4 candidates maybe but 12 seems way too many. I don't really understand what they expect to get from such an interview process. It's very clear to see what your getting with most managers. Maybe 12 is the number they are looking at with only 3-4 that they will talk to. Still seems strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    Tonights Champions League final shows just why AVB shouldn't be manager. If it wasn't for Roberto pulling this out of the fire, Chelsea would have had no trophy and no Champions League football. It's just crazy that so many 'pool fans want AVB, when it looks a guy like di Matteo might not even have a job next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Getting away from the Aston Vanilla :D thing!

Are people impressed or concerned by the wide net cast by our new owners?

Personally I'm impressed.

And I firmly believe AVB will become the next boss.

Either FSG have said they have a large basis of managers to interview because they're doing so to keep the media as far away from their actual targets or they haven't a notion of what they're doing.

3, 4 maybe 5 targets to be approached is a lot more realistic and looks like they have a clear aim of what they're looking for. A dozen? Sounds like they're up sh!t creek without a paddle or a canoe clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Pep Guardiola
    Steve McManaman has been quoted in the media saying that Liverpool fans expecting to get Pep or Jose into Anfield are not living in the real world

quite frankly I agree

He also reckons we dont have the pick of managers like we used to.

I disagree with the slightly but we deffo dont have the pick of the top tier of managers thats for sure.

The Brendan Rodgers snub has done some damage as it now seems that we cant get lower league managers to want the job - but we will still get a manager of higher stature and calibre than B Rodgers, thats for sure.

Has the Liverpool Hot Seat become the poisoned chalice that the England managers job is?

Andre Villas-Boas
    WilcoOut wrote: »
    Steve McManaman has been quoted in the media saying that Liverpool fans expecting to get Pep or Jose into Anfield are not living in the real world

I've yet to meet one that thinks this in all fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

quite frankly I agree

I disagree with the slightly but we deffo dont have the pick of the top tier of managers thats for sure.

The Brendan Rodgers snub has done some damage as it now seems that we cant get lower league managers to want the job - but we will still get a manager of higher stature and calibre than B Rodgers, thats for sure.

Has the Liverpool Hot Seat become the poisoned chalice that the England managers job is?

Jose wont go because he wants to win a title, Liverpool are miles away from winning a title.

pepe is taking a holiday, the last thing he wants is to manage a team in crisis.

is the job a poisoned chalice? what job isn't..

LFC have only themselves to blame, football is a business and they have been one hell of a badly run business over the last several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

quite frankly I agree

Totally disagree with this. Rodgers didn't snub the club but turned down the opportunity as he felt he's not ready for such a move at this stage of his career and that's the end of it. LFC will just focus on the other people they had also invited. No need to make a big deal out of it.

I agree they won't get Pepe as he's just left Barca, and don't want Jose anyway but still feel the club is big enough to attract big names and is by no means a poisoned chalice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert
    I'm actually staring at my pc screen with my mouth open for the last 5 minutes!

Wow just Wow.

Plasmaguy is a legend.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Tonights Champions League final shows just why AVB shouldn't be manager. If it wasn't for Roberto pulling this out of the fire, Chelsea would have had no trophy and no Champions League football. It's just crazy that so many 'pool fans want AVB, when it looks a guy like di Matteo might not even have a job next year.

I believe they were 3 points off 4th when he was fired. It's not accurate to say they wouldn't have Champions League football had he stayed.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert

tumblr_lzbs88acqc1qcegha.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm amazed Liverpool would even consider having choice of all those managers tbh, with a below average team apart from 3 or 4 decent players who would even consider taking the poison chalice job??

What happened to KING KENNY the kop legend?? For a club that bases itself on loyalty etc all round they sack managers at a whim buy second rate footballers for huge money..??

I get confused thinking bout the pool honestly I do I mean the team is brutal as fans is it not annoying seeing your club so much in decline? Mates are pool fans and I'm honestly sick hearing next season and them talking bout the 70s and 80s lol it's sad clinging to past.

If I was one of those managers I wouldn't touch Liverpool with a barge pole that's being honest..

Andre Villas-Boas
    Mates are pool fans and I'm honestly sick hearing next season

That was then, this is now.

Our year.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That was then, this is now.

Our year.

Jesus you're deluded if you think Liverpool have half a chance of winning prem with city, united, Chelsea and tottenham contending even everton have now surpassed you..

You are a top 7 side that's about it if your honest with yourself you will realise it!!!!

Andre Villas-Boas
    Jesus you're deluded if you think Liverpool have half a chance of winning prem with city, united, Chelsea and tottenham contending even everton have now surpassed you..

You are a top 7 side that's about it if your honest with yourself you will realise it!!!!

Watch this space.

Our year.

Watch this space.

Our year.

LMFAO LOL oh deluded doesn't even describe your opinion!!!

Insert face palm here LMFAO

Go to bookies and Throw a thousand euro on it if your so confident YEAH RIGHT!!!???

Andre Villas-Boas

Indeed

Indeed

Ah you can't believe that Liverpool team could finish above 5th in prem???no way will they!! Players are sooo overrated

Indeed

So true .

Next year I can see us really pushing on for contention.
    I'm expecting big things from Gordan Henderson and Charlie Adams in their second season.

Bring it on !

Andre Villas-Boas
    Leiva wrote: »
    So true .

I'm expecting big things from Gordan Henderson and Charlie Adams in their second season.

Bring it on !

I think we can push on and win the CL in 2013-2014 with Pippa Reina as our captain.

So true .

Bring it on !

The only way you would be in contention for league win this year coming is if you had just been relegated and were pushing for promotion lol!!

I think we can push on and win the CL in 2013-2014 with Pippa Reina as our captain.

I almost forgot ...

I'm expecting Stuart Downing to deliver aswell season 2012/13

LMFAO I'm going my ticker can't take all these laughs oh daydream fc isn't it LOL

• Advertisement

LMFAO I'm going my ticker can't take all these laughs oh daydream fc isn't it LOL

Laugh all you want because I just heard that Grant Holt handed in his transfer request because we (LFC) are after him :)
    Now that's going to be one hell of a signing !

Imagine this; Carroll and Holt up front together. Like two big TWIX's eating up defenses up and down the PL.
    I think we could even create a new form of exciting football.
    Tika-taka-twixa

I'm really really excited for next season .

Laugh all you want because I just heard that Grant Holt handed in his transfer request because we (LFC) are after him :)
    Now that's going to be one hell of a signing !

Imagine this; Carroll and Holt up front together. Like two big TWIX's eating up defenses up and down the PL.
    I think we could even create a new form of exciting football.
    Tika-taka-twixa

I'm really really excited for next season .

No holt signed a contract extension to guarantee he won't be sold to deluded fc

No holt signed a contract extension to guarantee he won't be sold to deluded fc

Doubt it but even so Heskey is a free agent and I'm sure with some genius scouting and tough persuasion we could convince him to come back and join us.

Carroll & Heskey . WOW thats mouth watering.

So DARK-KNIGHT we will agree to disagree

Signing off....

30cu9tljpg.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Andre Villas-Boas
    Doubt it but even so Heskey is a free agent and I'm sure with some genius scouting and tough persuasion we could convince him to come back and join us.

Carroll & Heskey . WOW thats mouth watering.

So DARK-KNIGHT we will agree to disagree

Signing off....

30cu9tljpg.gif
    Michael Owen is on a Free as well. They were the best partnership in football at one stage Owen and Heskey. we won 4 Trophies one season with them up front. 2001 I think. Fa Cup, Worthington Cup, Super Cup, UEFA Cup

Actually, I was watching Ze Roberto play in a Bayern XI vs World XI as part of the Champions League buildup yesterday, and he looked pretty good. He beat Carra a few times as well.

I think he could be the winger Liverpool need to make that final push.

With Ze Roberto crossing for Carroll and Heskey, and Owen sweeping up around we'd easly bag 50 goals between the three of them.

Buy Delap for the Long throws and we are sorted.

I actually think, if we get the right manager, like Sam Allerdyce (will be tough because of the promotion yesterday), or Martin O'Neill we could win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Andre Villas-Boas
    daydream fc
    deluded fc

You'll fit in well around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Paul Lambert
    Have to laugh at all these anti-liverpool fans who get onto Liverpool related threads claiming we are a mid table club and we are deluding ourselves thinking we will ever get into the champions league spaces again and that we are finished ect ect!!!!

Well look at Spurs, 4 or 5 years back no one would have thought they would have been doing as well as they have been the last 3 years, so would they have not been justified claiming that they would challenge for CL positions??
    And what about Newcastle they came within a whisker of qualifying this year could anyone of predicted that???
    So get over ye high horses and just except the fact that we have the right to expect our team to move upwards and on to better things and concentrate more on your own clubs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Pep Guardiola
    LMFAO LOL oh deluded doesn't even describe your opinion!!!

Go to bookies and Throw a thousand euro on it if your so confident YEAH RIGHT!!!???

tumblr_m325lrnSfr1qf3hns.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

G.K. wrote: »
    Harry barely rates tactics.

By his own admission, there is also a fairly good chance that he cannot spell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    DARK-KNIGHT you are easily played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm getting fed up too with anti-Liverpool posters coming on here proving that they can read a newspaper and saying the LFC job is a "poisoned chalice", just because the last couple haven't worked out.

The Liverpool job is far from a 'poisoned chalice'.

All I'm saying is all liverpools faults are thrown at manager tbh. Look at the players you have 4 very good and then a mix match of very below average players!!

Only 3 pool players could actually see anyone wanting are reina, Suarez and gerrard although Gerard is getting past it now..

What happened to lfc fans calling Carroll useless now he is a legend?? And the way our fellow Irishman Robbie keane was treated was scandalous, is it the kop end or the managers for the chop end?

Seriously dalglish at least cares about the club do you reall think you will be better off with chelskis outcast managers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    Any club would take Agger :mad:

Brendan Rogers
    All I'm saying is all liverpools faults are thrown at manager tbh. Look at the players you have 4 very good and then a mix match of very below average players!!
    129156.jpeg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Andre Villas-Boas
    If we don't finish at least 2nd next season we'll have to get in another new manager I'd say, but once we sign Cavani and hopefully Higuain we will be set. I'll be disappointed not to win it with Henderson dominating the centre of the park supplying them.

Brendan Rogers
    murpho999 wrote: »
    The Liverpool job is far from a 'poisoned chalice'.
    Hodgson was driven out because he was woefully out of his depth. Dalglish had the support of the vast majority of supporters even though he didn't meet expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Andre Villas-Boas
    On a scale of 1 to "next season", it's definitely next season. We're going to win the league my converting all of our penalties. I can see us having upwards of 3 managers through the season though Chelsea showed that it can be advantageous to keep the players on edge mid season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Andre Villas-Boas
    Why isn't Luis Enrique in the running at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Paul Lambert
    5starpool wrote: »
    If we don't finish at least 2nd next season we'll have to get in another new manager I'd say, but once we sign Cavani and hopefully Higuain we will be set. I'll be disappointed not to win it with Henderson dominating the centre of the park supplying them.

What do you mean, even if we finish first it'll be a disappointment and we'll have to sack the manager.

Andre Villas-Boas
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Why isn't Luis Enrique in the running at all ?

Hamstring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jurgen Klinnsman
    What if RDM fails to land the Chelsea job,will he become a frontrunner hen?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement