Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Paul Lambert
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Why isn't Luis Enrique in the running at all ?

Why would our left back be our manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

plasmaguy banned for trolling. Can people please stop quoting him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Marcello Bielsa
    The problem Liverpool currently have is that their expectations destroy themselves.
    They have not been a top 3 or 4 team in the PL now for a few years now... but they are always seen as a top 3-4 team!!

The fan base is far too dedicated to the heritage of the club that I think its currently doing more harm than good!

Liverpool need to get a new manager and accept that slow progress needs to be made.. Expecting to qualify for CL football when they havnt even finished within the top 5 for 3 years now!

The firm grip that the club has on its past is not gonna save its future! A decent manager with realistic expectations placed on him is what Liverpool need..

If anything the kop needs to demand progress.. not success (not yet anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LMFAO LOL oh deluded doesn't even describe your opinion!!!

Insert face palm here LMFAO

Go to bookies and Throw a thousand euro on it if your so confident YEAH RIGHT!!!???

I agree with Rarnes!! Next season is our year!!!! The likes of Henderson and Carroll will come good and push Man City all the way before pipping them at the post to win the 19th!!! Our year!!

All I'm saying is all liverpools faults are thrown at manager tbh. Look at the players you have 4 very good and then a mix match of very below average players!!

Only 3 pool players could actually see anyone wanting are reina, Suarez and gerrard although Gerard is getting past it now..

What happened to lfc fans calling Carroll useless now he is a legend?? And the way our fellow Irishman Robbie keane was treated was scandalous, is it the kop end or the managers for the chop end?

Seriously dalglish at least cares about the club do you reall think you will be better off with chelskis outcast managers??

Carroll is a legend though! He's up there with Roger Hunt in my opinion. In saying that, if he missed one more sitter, i hope we sell him at the earliest opportunity!!! Carlton Cole scored yesterday at Wembley. We should be looking at the likes of big game players like him to replace Carroll next season if Andy starts messing about!

In saying that though, Carroll's a Liverpool legend!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Andre Villas-Boas
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree with Rarnes!! Next season is our year!!!! The likes of Henderson and Carroll will come good and push Man City all the way before pipping them at the post to win the 19th!!! Our year!!

That kinda goes without saying.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa

Even Downing will turn back into that world class winger we all know he can be.

Genuinely, we're a shoo in for CL football next year with the players we already have. I think if we could get 1 more world class player to go with Downing, Carroll & Henderson, we could take the league by storm next year. Maybe someone like Iniesta would be possible? We have the old Barca youth team people at the club, I'm sure he'd love to come & work with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    PHB wrote: »
    plasmaguy banned for trolling. Can people please stop quoting him?

Indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I know you're joking but it's worth noting anyway that no team has ever won the Premier League without finishing at least 3rd the previous season.

Basically the days of (any) team coming out of nowhere and having a good enough season to win the league are long over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Andre Villas-Boas
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    I know you're joking but it's worth noting anyway that no team has ever won the Premier League without finishing at least 3rd the previous season.

Basically the days of (any) team coming out of nowhere and having a good enough season to win the league are long over.

Until this year no team had won it without finishing second the year before, so your point is instantly moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Why isn't Luis Enrique in the running at all ?

Think he left Roma because he couldn't handle the pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fabio Capello
    Think he left Roma because he couldn't handle the pressure

I thought he was sacked? His team were extremely inconsistent.

So anyway, how would Liverpool fans feel about getting Di Matteo now?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Even Downing will turn back into that world class winger we all know he can be.

Genuinely, we're a shoo in for CL football next year with the players we already have. I think if we could get 1 more world class player to go with Downing, Carroll & Henderson, we could take the league by storm next year. Maybe someone like Iniesta would be possible? We have the old Barca youth team people at the club, I'm sure he'd love to come & work with them again.

It depends how much Barca would want for Iniesta, Al! I don't want us throwing a load of dollars on a squad player just to play back up to Henderson. If we're going to get players in, i want someone who is an improvement on the players already there!!

5starpool wrote: »
    Until this year no team had won it without finishing second the year before, so your point is instantly moot.

..... apart from Arsenal in 97/98 , ManU in 02/03 and Chelsea in 09/10.

Well done on being so spectacularly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

hypermuse wrote: »
    The problem Liverpool currently have is that their expectations destroy themselves.
    They have not been a top 3 or 4 team in the PL now for a few years now... but they are always seen as a top 3-4 team!!

The fan base is far too dedicated to the heritage of the club that I think its currently doing more harm than good!

Liverpool need to get a new manager and accept that slow progress needs to be made.. Expecting to qualify for CL football when they havnt even finished within the top 5 for 3 years now!

The firm grip that the club has on its past is not gonna save its future! A decent manager with realistic expectations placed on him is what Liverpool need..

If anything the kop needs to demand progress.. not success (not yet anyway)

Not enough exclamation points. 5/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Andre Villas-Boas
    I thought he was sacked? His team were extremely inconsistent.

So anyway, how would Liverpool fans feel about getting Di Matteo now?

He brought a freshness to Roma and tried to change their style of play, admittedly it didn't work too well in their favour.
    I think Liverpool could do with something new though, a complete new approach and style.
    I hate the constant swapping of managers between clubs in the prem league...if you get sacked from 1 job, you're guaranteed one nearly at another club.
    I don't know why Guardiola is even being mentioned, he won't go to any club that doesn't have a realistic expectation of coming 1st (not trolling )

He brought a freshness to Roma and tried to change their style of play, admittedly it didn't work too well in their favour.
    I think Liverpool could do with something new though, a complete new approach and style.
    I hate the constant swapping of managers between clubs in the prem league...if you get sacked from 1 job, you're guaranteed one nearly at another club.
    I don't know why Guardiola is even being mentioned, he won't go to any club that doesn't have a realistic expectation of coming 1st (not trolling )

I doubt he's being seriously mentioned though!! Liverpool certainly won't be the next club he goes to.

Andre Villas-Boas
    ..... apart from Arsenal in 97/98 , ManU in 02/03 and Chelsea in 09/10.

Well done on being so spectacularly wrong.

I was talking about for the first time. It was a quote constantly regurgitated the year Liverpool came second.

It is an irrelevant point anyhow. City only snuck into 3rd last year due to Arsenal's incompetence. I don't think their chances of winning this year would have been diminished if they hadn't.

I was talking about for the first time. It was a quote constantly regurgitated the year Liverpool came second.

It is an irrelevant point anyhow. City only snuck into 3rd last year due to Arsenal's incompetence. I don't think their chances of winning this year would have been diminished if they hadn't.

First time Arsenal won the prem was 3rd to 1st, so you're still wrong either way. Please don't call peoples points 'moot' in future when you clearly don't even know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas

Based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He doesn't have a job, and he should be top of the list. That's why. He's also spoken of Liverpool's current youth setup in very high terms in the past.

I don't think anyone's talking about him in realistic terms though. If he wants a medium to long-term project, is willing to forget the 'break from football' he wants at the moment and doesn't mind putting his reputation on the line, he could be the next manager. Three very big 'if's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Andre Villas-Boas
    Guardiola shouldnt be mentioned for the reasons he left Barca in the first place. Hes tired and wants a break from football hence took a year out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That kinda goes without saying.:D

next year is our year....

zzzzzzzz

as was last year, the year before that...and before that also incidentally.

probably before that year too.

next year is our year....

zzzzzzzz

as was last year, the year before that...and before that also incidentally.

probably before that year too.

Yeah but it's really next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Paul Lambert
    Yeah but it's really next year!

yeah i agree!! i have a good feeling my bones for next season....i had the same feeling before last season as well!!

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    First time Arsenal won the prem was 3rd to 1st, so you're still wrong either way. Please don't call peoples points 'moot' in future when you clearly don't even know what you're talking about.

Either way. How is it relevant? Football wasn't invented in 1992. It is the mootest of moot points. Irrelevant as can be. Pointless, and even idiotic.

Either way. How is it relevant? Football wasn't invented in 1992. It is the mootest of moot points. Irrelevant as can be. Pointless, and even idiotic.

Nah, saying no team ever came lower than second to win the prem the next season is idiotic. Then getting called on it and trying to wriggle out by changing your statement to say you meant no first time prem winner but then STILL being wrong is truly idiotic. I mean you could have even taken the 2 seconds to check that second statement out first, but you were too eager to just spew whatever incorrect nonsense came into your head first.

100% idiotic on your part.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Nah, saying no team ever came lower than second to win the prem the next season is idiotic. Then getting called on it and trying to wriggle out by changing your statement to say you meant no first time prem winner but then STILL being wrong is truly idiotic. I mean you could have even taken the 2 seconds to check that second statement out first, but you were too eager to just spew whatever incorrect nonsense came into your head first.

100% idiotic on your part.

Whether I was right or not doesn't make the point any more relevant does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    FOR SALE
    Sarcasm detectors going cheap,pm for more details
    sarcasmzl71.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Another glorious day to be a fan(ataic) of the honourable Liverpool Football Club comrades.

• Advertisement

Whether I was right or not doesn't make the point any more relevant does it?

There's no 'whether' about it. You were wrong. You *are* wrong. It'd have been bigger of you to just acknowledge your mistake and move on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert
    Whoever put Bobby the Brain in the tags, kudos to you good sir.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Whoever put Bobby the Brain in the tags, kudos to you good sir.

:D

(it looked kind of incomplete without him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Marcello Bielsa
    Should at least try interview Lucien Favre. Ticks boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Andre Villas-Boas
    Only 3 candidates in it for me (rafa, AVB, Martinez)- as who ever takes over needs be in it for long term and be committed to developing youth as we don't have financial muscle to compete with others above us in league-

Rafa- loves the club put down a lot of solid foundations in the academy could see him sticking around and moving us forward...wont play most attractive football but will win ugly when required.

Martinez and AVB: are both good young managers but both could potentially doom us to mid table mediocrity for a few seasons, bit more of a gamble, I also think martinez bit over rated, and AVB needs a different project now tho would be motivated to prove Chelsea wrong

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Should at least try interview Lucien Favre. Ticks boxes.

He'll remain at Gladbach for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Marcello Bielsa
    Please no Rafa he had 6 years, we've had our blast from the past with King Kenny, lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    Please no Rafa he had 6 years, we've had our blast from the past with King Kenny, lets move on.

If it's looked at logically, he really is the stand out candidate. That's even if you ignore that he managed us in the past. He's leap years ahead of the vast majority of the candidates linked with the job based on his CV alone.

I am sure a lot of rival fans would secretly love if Rafa got the job.

Alan Curbs tbh would make a good manager, its not like Pool can pick and choose the JMs of this world now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Where's the Steve Staunton option? If the rumours about him handing in his cv are true they could do worse than to appointed stan the man "I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer, the book stops at me"

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas

Alan Curbs tbh would make a good manager, its not like Pool can pick and choose the JMs of this world now.

Joe Kinnear would be a good shout.

I'd say Curbs is too busy.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Patsy fyre wrote: »
    "I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer, the book stops at me"

Hardback or paperback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Rafael Benitez

Is it because of the dominant premier league/European force we have become since he left?

Gerty wrote: »
    Is it because of the dominant premier league/European force we have become since he left?

if you mean by the total absence of European football i guess that's a yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    Frank De Boer has also turned down an approach from LFC if you're to believe Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Frank De Boer has also turned down an approach from LFC if you're to believe Sky Sports.
    Very unhappy to hear he's turned it down - very good manager and has Ajax playing some nice football. Also a manager who would give the youth academy a chance.

That said, I'm glad we're looking at managers of his calibre, beats hearing about some of the other names mentioned.

Still hopefuly of hearing about Villas Boas rather than Martinez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Andre Villas-Boas
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Joe Kinnear would be a good shout.

I'd say Curbs is too busy.

Very funny.

If we're being serious here, i think we all know the sensible choices are Kevin Keegan or another throw of the managerial dice for Digger Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    With Rodgers, DeBoer and Klopp ruling themselves out, Pep and Jose not interested it looks like the Liverpool job is not the big "dream" Pool fans seem to think. I would say the job will be AVB's. Because he is young and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Paul Lambert
    I am pie wrote: »
    Very funny.

If we're being serious here, i think we all know the sensible choices are Kevin Keegan or another throw of the managerial dice for Digger Barnes.

Definitely need to give the Barnes/McAteer axis of evil a chance surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

[/PHP]
    sundula wrote: »
    With Rodgers, DeBoer and Klopp ruling themselves out, Pep and Jose not interested it looks like the Liverpool job is not the big "dream" Pool fans seem to think. I would say the job will be AVB's. Because he is young and free.

Who said it was the dream job for every manager? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement