Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Andre Villas-Boas
    leggit wrote: »
    Definitely need to give the Barnes/McAteer axis of evil a chance surely?

Possibly, but only if Stan get's the CEO job.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    Alot of liverpool fans I have talked with seem to think its a brillant job based on their past success. If you look at the list of names on the poll on this thread it fair to say the majority of them would not want this job.

Andre Villas-Boas
    sundula wrote: »
    Alot of liverpool fans I have talked with seem to think its a brillant job based on their past success. If you look at the list of names on the poll on this thread it fair to say the majority of them would not want this job.

Sure who'd want a job with a small club...

Andre Villas-Boas
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sure who'd want a job with a small club...

Especially with the West Brom job open...you'd be a fool to join Liverpool instead with our creaking stadium and crazy owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's certainly an exciting job - there's plenty of pressure on whoever takes it but last year, Liverpool couldn't put the ball in the back of the net - barring that other aspects of our game weren't too bad.

Whoever takes the job is coming to a club with an academy which is beginning to consistently push through talent for the first time in years and will hopefully continue to improve the level of talent coming through.

There's new owners who're looking to improve the club and may well offer money for investment - nothing along the lines of City or Chelsea, but moreso than your other run of the mill teams in the PL.

And yeah, we're a club with a rich history, looking to return to the glory days, what of it? - I really doubt this is the first selling point to a potential manager:

"Thanks for coming to the interview Mr. De Boer - did you see the 2005 CL final? We won that you know"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭thebullkf

AVB ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

As a Newcastle fan, I can't but help be reminded of our situation 3-5 years ago, where unrealistic fans created an impossible atmosphere for managers to work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas

'A lot of liverpool fans I have talked with' - The very best there is.
    When you absolutely positively have no source whatsoever... accept no substitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Paul Lambert
    As a Newcastle fan, I can't but help be reminded of our situation 3-5 years ago, where unrealistic fans created an impossible atmosphere for managers to work in.

I don't think so tbh. I mean, what's being realistic? Any pool fans I know including myself are not deluded or being unrealistic about what we want from a manager. We've had 3 **** years, but are told by other fans we're a mid-table club now and should accept that.

Bull ****.

As soon as we accept that we may as well give up. We want to win things and progress well and that's done by bringing in the best people for the job. Despite our present troubles, we are still one of the biggest clubs in world football.

There are some numpties following us, but that's the same with every club, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Despite our present troubles, we are still one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Finishing 7th, 6th and 8th in the last three seasons suggests otherwise. They used to be one of the biggest in world football - not now. Sure it's possible for them to win the league down the line but I personally cannot see that happening for the next 10 years.

I like the way Arsenal have handled not being one of the biggest out there - still managed to finish in the top four since 1995/1996 even when things seem to go against them as of late. For me, that's the sign of a big club and a club that will be a lot stronger than Liverpool in the years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

DrumSteve wrote: »

I don't think so tbh. I mean, what's being realistic? Any pool fans I know including myself are not deluded or being unrealistic about what we want from a manager. We've had 3 **** years, but are told by other fans we're a mid-table club now and should accept that.

Bull ****.

As soon as we accept that we may as well give up. We want to win things and progress well and that's done by bringing in the best people for the job. Despite our present troubles, we are still one of the biggest clubs in world football.

There are some numpties following us, but that's the same with every club, isn't it?

All I'm saying is that our numpties contributed to a pretty toxic situation at St James Park, where anything less than a miracle would mean the manager would be under a lot of pressure. Relegation for us was a good thing, as these idiots have had a cold shower. In Liverpool's case, I'm just saying that any manager that comes in, already starts with expectations that are perhaps not realistic for 2-3 years, at least. Will the fans give him that time?

Paul Lambert
    All I'm saying is that our numpties contributed to a pretty toxic situation at St James Park, where anything less than a miracle would mean the manager would be under a lot of pressure. Relegation for us was a good thing, as these idiots have had a cold shower. In Liverpool's case, I'm just saying that any manager that comes in, already starts with expectations that are perhaps not realistic for 2-3 years, at least. Will the fans give him that time?

In general I'd say so, being realistic we all know we are re-building at the moment, so it's imperitive we get the right man for the job and get the stadium sorted.

That being said, any ****house who starts giving the manager abuse before we've even kicked a ball about can **** off.

I think you're wrong about that tbh

Whatever manager comes in, comes under pressure, but I believe it's more along the lines of we do need to see improvement with regard to league position - that may not be too much of an ask imo - we performed well below our capabilities in the league last year.

It's the case that, if we do give the manager time, and he doesn't turn it around - then you'll see people getting annoyed.

Personally I think if we take in a manager, we need stability and to give them time to put their stamp on the team, to make the necessary changes and so on - look how long it took Benitez to mount a title challenge - 4 years - in that time he built a spine of a team and it was our squad that left us down - we've regressed since and now we really do need to start rebuilding for a few years down the line again

Paul Lambert
    Renn wrote: »
    Finishing 7th, 6th and 8th in the last three seasons suggests otherwise. They used to be one of the biggest in world football - not now. Sure it's possible for them to win the league down the line but I personally cannot see that happening for the next 10 years.

I like the way Arsenal have handled not being one of the biggest out there - still managed to finish in the top four since 1995/1996 even when things seem to go against them as of late. For me, that's the sign of a big club and a club that will be a lot stronger than Liverpool in the years to come.

Don't see how that is true:

http://www.soccerly.com/top-20-earning-football-clubs-in-2010-2011/

Top 20 clubs in 2010-11 Deloitte Football Money League.
    1. Real Madrid (£433m)
    2. FC Barcelona (£407m)
    3. Manchester United (£331.4m)
    4. Bayern Munich (£290.3m)
    5. Arsenal (£226.8m)
    6. Chelsea (£225.6m)
    7. AC Milan (£212.3m)
    8. Internazionale (£190.9m)
    9. Liverpool (£183.6m)
    10. Schalke 04 (£182.8m)
    11. Tottenham Hotspur (£163.5m)
    12. Manchester City (£153.2m)
    13. Juventus (£139m)
    14. Olympique de Marseille (£135.8m)
    15. AS Roma (£129.6m)
    16. Borussia Dortmund (£125.1m)
    17. Olympique Lyonnais (£119.9m)
    18. Hamburger SV (£116.3m)
    19. Valencia (£105.5m)
    20. Napoli (£103.8m)

If what your saying was the case, surely we wouldn't be on the above list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't think finishing top 7 is unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert

League titles aren't the barometer of success or even size of a club any more, CL is and Liverpool are still a big name when it comes to that. The club commercially hasn't been hit by losing CL revenue and very few could take that hit. The club obviously has to rebuild but like Ajax or Juventus it will always have an appeal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah DrumSteve - I'm referring to biggest in footballing terms, not top revenue lists.

Paul Lambert
    Yeah DrumSteve - I'm referring to biggest in footballing terms, not top revenue lists.

Well in footballing terms, we've alternated between dominating teams and playing some turgid football.

If we had a striker who put the ball in the net (i.e your example of Arsenal) we wouldn't be 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    K-9 wrote: »
    League titles aren't the barometer of success or even size of a club any more, CL is and Liverpool are still a big name when it comes to that.
    Convenient :D
    So when did this all change?
    When we overtook your league titles and all ye had left over us was European Cups......
    Strange statement to make.

Paul Lambert
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    When we overtook your league titles and all ye had left over us was European Cups......

Since about 2005 and we took ownership of it! :D

If you take off the "red" tinted gasses! you'll see the point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Rafael Benitez
    Since about 2005 and we took ownership of it! :D

If you take off the "red" tinted gasses! you'll see the point.
    It's important to be winning leagues if you want to be called a successful club.
    If Liverpool didn't have their history of league titles and came along out of the blue to win the Champions League in 2005 and went on to have the lack of success after it,they could hardly be called a big successful club.

Paul Lambert
    It's important to be winning leagues if you want to be called a successful club.
    If Liverpool didn't have their history of league titles and came along out of the blue to win the Champions League in 2005 and went on to have the lack of success after it,they could hardly be called a big successful club.

They're still important but nowhere near as such as the 70's and 80's.

Chelsea having just won a CL title after finishing 6th proves my point.

In all seriousness - I do think we'll see City attempting to retain the title next season, however, if they do that, I'd imagine they'll put it on the back burner for some time and shift their focus on to the champions league - it's the trophy every team wants.

There's no doubt the league is huge, and as a Liverpool fan who's yet to see us win one in my lifetime thus far, I'd love nothing more than to see us win one in the future (as long as that may take) but the Champions league is a different level - the two legs where you shave years off your life with worry are what you follow football for imo

Rafael Benitez
    They're still important but nowhere near as such as the 70's and 80's.

Chelsea having just won a CL title after finishing 6th proves my point.
    If Newcastle went on to win the next 10 leagues without winning a Champions League do you think it wouldn't count for very much??
    It would make them massively more successful.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Can't wait until the manager is appointed. Will spare us from the tiresome 'big club' nonsense. It's worse than the 'world class' debate.

When you look at how the continental European (and also South American) media report and discuss football they make us look like we've not made it off the playground. Some of the level of debate here hasn't scraped itself off the back pages of the tabloids yet.

Martinez - For me he's to ambitious on the pitch. 3-4-3 leaves you awfully exposed, he persisted with this experiment for too long. I think he is too dogmatic and not pragmatic enough, certainly all the great liverpool sides play the attacking short passing game he aspires to, but they were all built on sturdy defences.

AVB - Prefers a 4-3-3 which is more realistic for the prem, however you would have to question whether he will bring enough in terms of gravitas or authority to tackle some of the dressing room personalities. Sometimes at Chelsea he looked like he was picking a team to prove a point (dropping Lampard for example) rather than being pragmatic. A little less change at Chelsea and a little more bridge building and he might well still be there with a European cup under his wing. Reading his thoughts on Chelsea it is interesting to see that he didn't rate Drogba's touch as good enough to facilitate a short passing game. What would he make of Carroll ? Not sure how he would use him.

Does that mean seventh? I don't think top four is in your reach. So are we saying 5th to 7th?

Yes, if whoever takes the job finishes 7th in his first season then I don't think anyone would be complaining to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Roberto Martinez
    Rafa hasn't been approached according to Balague
    thank god

Paul Lambert
    If Newcastle went on to win the next 10 leagues without winning a Champions League do you think it wouldn't count for very much??
    It would make them massively more successful.

Didn't say it wouldn't count for very much so that point doesn't count!

The league isn't as important as it used to be, I'd have thought this wasn't a particularly controversial or even that debatable point of view!

Rafael Benitez
    Didn't say it wouldn't count for very much so that point doesn't count!

The league isn't as important as it used to be, I'd have thought this wasn't a particularly controversial or even that debatable point of view!
    I never said you did,I merely asked,it wasn't a point :confused:
    You said they were not the barometer of success or size of a club anymore.
    I'd argue that they are.
    Maybe not as important but still massively important.
    It's what you play for week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Rafa hasn't been approached according to Balague
    thank god

:(

Paul Lambert
    You said they were not the barometer of success or size of a club anymore.
    I'd argue that they are.
    Maybe not as important but still massively important.
    It's what you play for week in week out.

Well take your example of Newcastle winning 10 titles, after a couple the league wouldn't be the target any more, the CL would, like with Chelsea. The CL is what it's all about, I know this after a couple of seasons of Liverpool not being in it.

The league is the holy grail for Liverpool obviously plus it was important for City and Chelsea before them to make a mark, and United for another notch on the bedpost but the CL is where it is at. Indeed another reason for the league being so big this year was both teams weren't in the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Paul Lambert
    I did a savage bicycle kick in the last game of our season! Goal of the season imo.

it didnt go in!! practice harder haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I am pie wrote: »
    Martinez - For me he's to ambitious on the pitch. 3-4-3 leaves you awfully exposed, he persisted with this experiment for too long. I think he is too dogmatic and not pragmatic enough...
    Huh? Martinez switched to 3-4-3 (a bold move in England) in 2012, sparking a complete reversal in form that somehow saved them. Judging by the results (beating Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Utd in the process) it didn't leave them too open at the back. Certainly it doesn't speak of dogmatism and a lack of pragmatism, quite the opposite in fact: Martinez found his best formation and then was happy to adjust it to take into account the opposition

I don't think it excuses the previous half season (or three seasons) of abjectness but there's no denying that the brave and impressive tactical reshuffle saved Wigan from the drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

looks like it's gonna be Martinez.

I fear he won't last long with the way most pool fans are reacting. If he doesn't hit the ground running he'll be hounded out by the end of next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Andre Villas-Boas

I fear he won't last long with the way most pool fans are reacting. If he doesn't hit the ground running he'll be hounded out by the end of next season.

It won't be like they turned on him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

What way are most Pool fans reacting Willy? Have you conducted a survey there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Andre Villas-Boas

no he won't.

i'm 99% sure he is not Hodgson incarnate, and so won't be treated the same way.

Coming from a Chelsea fan. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

They're returning to their favourite subject!! Can you feel it?? Yes You Can!!!

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    no he won't.

i'm 99% sure he is not Hodgson incarnate, and so won't be treated the same way.

I don't think he's Hodgson material but the fans already have a serious question mark against him.

are you telling me there won't be widespread calls for his sacking if he doesn't challenge for the top 4 and finishes up mid table?

Mr Alan wrote: »

If its not that way & we turn into Chelsea mark 2, I'll stop supporting Liverpool.

Your next manager will be your 4th in 2 years. You can't be pontificating over the manager merry go around at Stamford Bridge anymore, you've already proven to be just as bad.

It's just the way of modern football, you'll have to learn to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Nonsense. Each dismissal should be judged on it's own merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    No thanks.

Rafa-never should have been sacked.
    Hodgson-never should have been appointed.
    Dalglish-never should have been sacked.

I'm nothing like you & Liverpool have some way to go before catching up with Chelsea in the management merry go round stakes. If we sack another in the next couple of years, I'll agree with you that we're becoming Chelsea mark 2 & as I said above, that'll be me done with it all. I'd prefer to have no club than 'support' a club like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    Ape X wrote: »
    Nonsense. Each dismissal should be judged on it's own merits.

Spot on.

Liverpool dismissed Hodgson when they were just above relegation zone. Dismissed Kenny when they had their lowest points total since the 50's. Dismissed Rafa after turmoil and a disappointing campaign. The 4th as you mention hasn't been appointed or sacked yet.

Chelsea sacked their best manager ever in Jose.
    Sacked Avram Grant for losing a penalty shootout in a Champions League final.
    Sacked Carlo Ancellotti a year after winning the double but still finishing in a Champions League position.
    Sacked AVB who was undergoing a massive overhaul of the club but was constantly undermined.

Yes Willy. The comparisons are accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Andre Villas-Boas
    Your next manager will be your 4th in 2 years. You can't be pontificating over the manager merry go around at Stamford Bridge anymore, you've already proven to be just as bad.

such bollocks Willy.

two entirely different football clubs in entirely different situations.

the Rafa sacking was by a club in the midst of crisis upstairs and he was the collateral damage.

Hodgson should never have got the job, and was perceived by a naive board that he would "stabilise" things, since he was the flavour of the month.

Kenny is the only sacking that is somewhat controversial, and even resembles half the wackiness that's gone on at Chelsea.

Abramovich fell out with Mourinho, your greatest ever manager.
    he sacked Ancelotti, a double winner, for God knows what.
    he sacked Avram Grant after being a kick away from winning the Champions League.
    AVB was given no time to implement the regime he was bought to implement, even with the track record he had with Porto.
    he still hasn't offered di Matteo the job, even after everything he has managed to do at the end of this season.

we have a loooooooooooooooooong way to go to get near the wackiness at Stamford Bridge in terms of managerial appointments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Dalglish was taking Pool to mid table nothingness, spending 100million and finishing level on points with Fulham.

sometimes I don't know if you are taking the piss or not tbh.

Raffa was rubbish.

apart from the CL which must have been a miracle, eventually Pool got found out in the CL (appearing year in year out and getting no where), they were going nowhere fast with him at the helm.

his c0ck up at Inter showed just what a manger he was.

this is just a neutrals point of view btw.

Liverpool, good team, great tradition etc. but now they are in what steve keane would say....transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eventually Pool got found out in the CL (appearing year in year out and getting no where

apart from another final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Go to bed, Willy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

amiable wrote: »
    Spot on.

Liverpool dismissed Hodgson when they were just above relegation zone. Dismissed Kenny when they had their lowest points total since the 50's. Dismissed Rafa after turmoil and a disappointing campaign. The 4th as you mention hasn't been appointed or sacked yet.

Chelsea sacked their best manager ever in Jose.
    Sacked Avram Grant for losing a penalty shootout in a Champions League final.
    Sacked Carlo Ancellotti a year after winning the double but still finishing in a Champions League position.
    Sacked AVB who was undergoing a massive overhaul of the club but was constantly undermined.

Yes Willy. The comparisons are accurate

well Chelsea are probably the exception to the rule here, they clearly are nuts.

winning the FA Cup and CL and getting sacked a few weeks later.

yes we can..!

exactly why I detest that cockney team, paper fans, paper owner, stupid players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement