Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No thanks.

Rafa-never should have been sacked.
    Hodgson-never should have been appointed.
    Dalglish-never should have been sacked.

I'm nothing like you & Liverpool have some way to go before catching up with Chelsea in the management merry go round stakes. If we sack another in the next couple of years, I'll agree with you that we're becoming Chelsea mark 2 & as I said above, that'll be me done with it all. I'd prefer to have no club than 'support' a club like that.

I have to call bull**** on that Alan. Your hooked, you'll follow the club no matter what.

The Rafa sacking was understandable because it looked like the stress was getting to him and he was losing the plot at times. He needed time out.

Hodgson probably shouldn't have been appointed but he was still given a raw deal by the fans.

The sacking of Dalglish was right because he was shown up to be out of touch with the modern game and was never going to take you forward. He needed to go.

I'm sorry Alan but that's three managers sacked in two years, that is a very similar pattern to what we've done over the years. You can't claim the moral high ground on us anymore.

FWIW I think you should just accept it like have, it's the way football is gone. Managers rarely stay at a club for more than two/three years now a days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    well Chelsea are probably the exception to the rule here, they clearly are nuts.

winning the FA Cup and CL and getting sacked a few weeks later.

yes we can..!

exactly why I detest that cockney team, paper fans, paper owner, stupid players.

Chelsea may be the exception to the rule but the allegation was that Liverpool are like Chelsea now so I was addressing that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If they appoint Martinez over Benitez, i really will be p!ssed off. What are they they basing this on?? They should look at Rafa's record, shut the f*ck up and offer him a contract!!!

Paul Lambert
    I have to call bull**** on that Alan. Your hooked, you'll follow the club no matter what.

The Rafa sacking was understandable because it looked like the stress was getting to him and he was losing the plot at times. He needed time out.

Hodgson probably shouldn't have been appointed but he was still given a raw deal by the fans.

The sacking of Dalglish was right because he was shown up to be out of touch with the modern game and was never going to take you forward. He needed to go.

I'm sorry Alan but that's three managers sacked in two years, that is a very similar pattern to what we've done over the years. You can't claim the moral high ground on us anymore.

FWIW I think you should just accept it like have, it's the way football is gone. Managers rarely stay at a club for more than two/three years now a days.
    You know personally what stress Rafa was under?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Andre Villas-Boas
    Dalglish was taking Pool to mid table nothingness, spending 100million and finishing level on points with Fulham.

sometimes I don't know if you are taking the piss or not tbh.

Raffa was rubbish.

apart from the CL which must have been a miracle, eventually Pool got found out in the CL (appearing year in year out and getting no where), they were going nowhere fast with him at the helm.

his c0ck up at Inter showed just what a manger he was.

this is just a neutrals point of view btw.

Liverpool, good team, great tradition etc. but now they are in what steve keane would say....transition.

2 CL finals,and winning 1 with a mainly terrible team left over from the Houllier era.

1 FA Cup,and a 2nd place league finish in 08/09,4 points behind United.

Not to mention him winning La Liga twice with Valencia,aswell as the UEFA Cup.

Don't know how anybody could describe Rafa as ''rubbish.''

SlickRic wrote: »
    such bollocks Willy.

two entirely different football clubs in entirely different situations.

the Rafa sacking was by a club in the midst of crisis upstairs and he was the collateral damage.

Hodgson should never have got the job, and was perceived by a naive board that he would "stabilise" things, since he was the flavour of the month.

Kenny is the only sacking that is somewhat controversial, and even resembles half the wackiness that's gone on at Chelsea.

Abramovich fell out with Mourinho, your greatest ever manager.
    he sacked Ancelotti, a double winner, for God knows what.
    he sacked Avram Grant after being a kick away from winning the Champions League.
    AVB was given no time to implement the regime he was bought to implement, even with the track record he had with Porto.
    he still hasn't offered di Matteo the job, even after everything he has managed to do at the end of this season.

we have a loooooooooooooooooong way to go to get near the wackiness at Stamford Bridge in terms of managerial appointments.

The circumstances were clearly different and we have been worst for sacking managers that didnt deserve to go (although not as bad as you make out, Grant and AVB deserved to go IMO) but the fact remains that Liverpool and Chelsea have been changing managers at a similar rate recently and Liverpool fans should not be looking down on us anymore IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'll continue to look down on you willy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    Raffa was rubbish.

apart from the CL which must have been a miracle, eventually Pool got found out in the CL (appearing year in year out and getting no where), they were going nowhere fast with him at the helm.

Liverpool, good team, great tradition etc. but now they are in what steve keane would say....transition.

What sort of ****ing bull**** is this?!

amiable wrote: »
    You know personally what stress Rafa was under?

No, but you just had to look at him. He was piling on the weight IIRC and was making stranger decisions than usual on the sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    Ape X wrote: »
    Stop talking to your penis.

Paul Lambert

Ah Willy is OK IMHO. At least he enters debate but I get where you are coming from :)

Paul Lambert
    No, but you just had to look at him. He was piling on the weight IIRC and was making stranger decisions than usual on the sideline.

His wife had just completed a bakery night class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    The circumstances were clearly different and we have been worst for sacking managers that didnt deserve to go (although not as bad as you make out, Grant and AVB deserved to go IMO) but the fact remains that Liverpool and Chelsea have been changing managers at a similar rate recently and Liverpool fans should not be looking down on us anymore IMO.

The point you're missing, from me anyway, is that I look down on Liverpool for the amount of managers we've sacked in the last 2 years.

The club has been through unprecedented upheaval during that time though, so I'm hoping this will now be the end of it. They can appoint their own man with a totally clean slate, 100% their choice. If they continue the trend we've had over the last couple of years, then we should rightly be mocked, ridiculed & looked down upon by the supporters of clubs who behave in a proper manner.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Stop talking to your penis.
    It needs friends too :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

2 CL finals,and winning 1 with a mainly terrible team left over from the Houllier era.

1 FA Cup,and a 2nd place league finish in 08/09,4 points behind United.

Not to mention him winning La Liga twice with Valencia,aswell as the UEFA Cup.

Don't know how anybody could describe Rafa as ''rubbish.''

well he wasn't rubbish, probably harsh..

i do remember him in charge of pool when they destroyed Madrid at anfield

but that's an age old problem for LFC, turning on the style for big games, derby's and the like, and then losing at home to stoke, wigan etc.

regarding rafa, he was not going to win a league... towards the end of his tenure he clearly lost the plot... also i worried for his health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andre Villas-Boas

Raffa was rubbish.

There are 100 words I can think of that belong before point of view, neutral isnt one, most would get me an infraction

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Andre Villas-Boas
    I'm not his biggest fan but I have to laugh at the faux concern shown by rival fans for Rafa's health and weight at the time of his sacking. Probably the same people who revelled in his facts 'rant' and in calling him the fat spanish waiter.

Dalglish was taking Pool to mid table nothingness, spending 100million and finishing level on points with Fulham.

sometimes I don't know if you are taking the piss or not tbh.

Raffa was rubbish.

I'll read your post back to you and just listen to how this sounds. Just have a taste of how others feels when they read your..........thoughts!!!

Raffa is a bad manager. I can't even spell his name correctly, but still, take me seriously, i know what i'm talking about

Apart from the Champions League final when they somehow managed to win it, they were eventually found out when they managed to qualify for it every season, but never won it again. The best they could do was get to the semi final or quarter final. One year they actually reached the final but LOL, they lost. They were rapidly resorting to making that sort of Champions League appearance, year in, year out!

Raffa then went to Inter Milan the season after they won everything, but all he did was win the World Club Championship, the first trophy he was capabale of winning. It was evident after six months that Raffa couldn't better Mourinho's previous season of winning everything, so therefore he was sacked by the owner who likes sacking people. By the way, just to back up my arguement, i'm assuming Inter Milan have gone on to better things since then???? :confused:

I don't really care by the way. I have no agenda when i post this.

Liverpool, i'll give them some sort of credibility and big them up a little bit to pretend i have no agenda, but i will then just contrast that to one of the worst managers in Premier League history who has just gotten a team relegated!!

But you agree with sackings??? :confused:

And btw, we'll always look down at your silicon club!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I am getting a great laugh at Willy trying to drag down Liverpool to Chelsea's miserable standards.

Give it a break Willy will ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Andre Villas-Boas
    I just want to make a point about some of the posts here regarding Rafa's time at Inter. It was not a failure. He did not make a fool of himself as some are trying to insist. I know a lot of Inter fans here in Italy and they were disappointed to see him get fired.

He took over a squad that had just won everything under Jose which made his job at Inter all the more difficult. Unless he won everything he would be deemed a failure by an Italian press that does not trust the ways of foreign managers. Mourinhio only started to get real praise here after he had won everything in sight.

It is worth noting though that the fans, at least the more reasoned ones, were aware of this and did not want him to go. Banners were unveiled after he won The World Club Final pleading with Moratti not to fire him as word had already gotten around as to Moratti's plans for the job. Benitez had had talks with Moratti and told him they needed to move on some big names and invest in 4 or 5 new players to change the shape of the team and thus their fortunes. Moratti disagreed, fired him and Inter are still dealing with the fallout from that with an ageing and largely disinterested squad.

Benitez had to deal with a horrendous injury list during his time there, losing his top scorer Milito and his goalkeeper Julio Cesar for more than half his matches and also the fact that players like Maicon and Eto who also missed a lot of the season wanted to leave the second after the Champions league was in the bag and made many noises to the press in this regard.

He won both the Supercoppa Italia and The World Club Championship. They were still involved in all major competitions and had qualified for the next phase of the Champions League. They were 7th in Serie A, which was not good enough but I strongly feel that had he been given more time that season he could have built a team capable of fighting Milan the following season for Lo Scudetto.

In terms of him taking the Liverpool job, I am disappointed he is not being considered given his success rate and all he did for the club. However this is a new management structure and the new man has to agree with it. There would be no point hiring Benitez if it just turns out to be a Moratti situation all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

well he wasn't rubbish, probably harsh..

I'd say definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    The poll for this thread is mildly amusing - quite a lot of non Liverpool fans have voted Roberto Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The point you're missing, from me anyway, is that I look down on Liverpool for the amount of managers we've sacked in the last 2 years.

The club has been through unprecedented upheaval during that time though, so I'm hoping this will now be the end of it. They can appoint their own man with a totally clean slate, 100% their choice. If they continue the trend we've had over the last couple of years, then we should rightly be mocked, ridiculed & looked down upon by the supporters of clubs who behave in a proper manner.

Its a common misconception that frequently changing managers is a bad thing. Using Chelsea as an example, we've been through a few - BUT 10 trophys and constant CL football suggests that they were right to.
    Barca and RM and other top clubs also went through this cycle and it didnt do them much harm
    Of course there are disadvantages - forward planning, coaching players etc, but the trophys were there

Andre Villas-Boas

Its a common misconception that frequently changing managers is a bad thing. Using Chelsea as an example, we've been through a few - BUT 10 trophys and constant CL football suggests that they were right to.
    Barca and RM and other top clubs also went through this cycle and it didnt do them much harm
    Of course there are disadvantages - forward planning, coaching players etc, but the trophys were there

I think you're forgetting that Chelsea have an endless supply of cash to hire and fire and pay compo.

Back in the real world clubs work with a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    Martinez has been offered the job Irish Independent is reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    ****ing joke, won't last a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dave Whelan could do with a lesson in how to STFU!

Liverpool could be doing all sorts behind the scenes it's just there is no big mouths blabbing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think ye'll do quite well under him actually. Top 6 this season if he makes a few good signings. Wouldn't be surprised to see Diame go to ye.

Andre Villas-Boas
    He's still available at 1/2 on betfair....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You don't mention money spent on transfers and wages. Chelsea and Real's efficiency in wining trophies for money spent is very questionable.

Barcelona are different because of their youth academy and the club's structure and established style. It's not like a new manager who comes in there changes everything around like at other clubs.

Martinez has gotten the job? Terrible appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Rory Smith from The Times has said Martinez has not been offered the job.

And the Times Sport twitter feed had this to say:

Times Sport ‏@TimesSport
    Confusion reigns as sources close to FSG deny claims by Dave Whelan that #lfc have offered Roberto Martinez manager's job at Anfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    Times Sport ‏@TimesSport
    Confusion reigns as Dave Whelan....

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Dave Whelan is getting the job.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Dave Whelan is getting the job.

According to Dave Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    According to Dave Whelan

Dave Wheel-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Andre Villas-Boas
    I dont get it .... if Martinez is such a prospect why has Whelan pimped him out at the end of the last 3 seasons ... for 2-3 million pay out clause ? ... nah, sorry - doesn't equate when compared to the loss of revenue of being relegated.

Somethings not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jurgen Klinnsman
    RayCon wrote: »
    I dont get it .... if Martinez is such a prospect why has Whelan pimped him out at the end of the last 3 seasons ... for 2-3 million pay out clause ? ... nah, sorry - doesn't equate when compared to the loss of revenue of being relegated.

Somethings not right.

A half committed Martinez would see them relegated too. Martinez is ambitious and he'd be useless to Wigan if he's kept there and not fully committed to the task. Whelan has given him the choice to decide for himself and in the past where Martinez realises that he's best off where he is, Whelan has retained a manager that he almost believes blindly in that is committed as ever to his club. Whelan believes that Martinez likes control of alot of aspects of a club, something he gets unconditionally at Wigan, something he probably wont, without a fight at a bigger club, and thats where Whelan believes he will not lose him easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    Rumours are getting stronger that Rodgers will be announced soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Things are bad when the Wigan manager rejects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Maybe the Swansea man might do the same thing.

Paul Lambert

You have to be offered a job to reject it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

amiable wrote: »
    You have to be offered a job to reject it

According to some folk he was but rejected due to the structure FSG wanted.

Either way he's not interested which says a lot.

Paul Lambert

You still have to be offered the job to reject it and some folk like to make stuff up.
    Nobody on the internet actually knows for definite if he was offered the job but it would seem having met Martinez last week and then Whelan claiming there was another scheduled for yesterday yet it didn't happen that in fact Liverpool decided against him.

So if he wasn't offered the job, it means he's not interested?

Paul Lambert
    So if he wasn't offered the job, it means he's not interested?

Perhaps he lost interest when he realised he wasn't going to be offered the job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Some folk?

Seems credible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement