Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PaulieC wrote: »
    Some folk?

Seems credible.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Anyway, I'm sure Rodgers will do a wonderful job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Breaking news on SSN, Rodgers to meet Liverpool owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Paul Lambert
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    According to some folk he was but rejected due to the structure FSG wanted.

Either way he's not interested which says a lot.

what does it say?

that wigan are better than liverpool?

i've read some garbage on here in my time but insinuating that really takes the biscuit

do you know what is going on within the inner circles of fsg because your post seems to suggest you do?

or are you merely naive and prepared to swallow any old propoganda garbage that whelan and martinez put out there all of course conveniently fitting in with your aim of getting a dig in at Liverpool

here's what i think, martinez was interviewed and not offered the job, he waited and waited by the phone like a lovestruck teenager but then all the noise started with Rodgers, so how does Martinez save face after being photographed with Henry, he contacts Liverpool to say he is opting out because of the management structure (incidentally BBC are saying Rodgers has full control).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Rodgers mustn't have too many friends at Sky Sports. The picture they put up of him is fúcking dreadful. It's one of the worst that I've ever seen. The could surely have gotten a better one.

Brendan-Rodgers-Roberto-Martinez-Wigan-v-Swan_2766953.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rodgers mustn't have too many friends at Sky Sports. The picture they put up of him is fúcking dreadful. It's one of the worst that I've ever seen. The could surely have gotten a better one.

Brendan-Rodgers-Roberto-Martinez-Wigan-v-Swan_2766953.jpg
    Same on football365 - had it up for about 2 days!!

Still hilarious though!

donfers wrote: »
    what does it say?

that wigan are better than liverpool?

i've read some garbage on here in my time but insinuating that really takes the biscuit

do you know what is going on within the inner circles of fsg because your post seems to suggest you do?

or are you merely naive and prepared to swallow any old propoganda garbage that whelan and martinez put out there all of course conveniently fitting in with your aim of getting a dig in at Liverpool

here's what i think, martinez was interviewed and not offered the job, he waited and waited by the phone like a lovestruck teenager but then all the noise started with Rodgers, so how does Martinez save face after being photographed with Henry, he contacts Liverpool to say he is opting out because of the management structure (incidentally BBC are saying Rodgers has full control).

Calm down buddy

Thanks for your thoughts though, they're built on as much evidence as the post you attacked. You showed me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

BBC reporting that Rodgers is about to be appointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    Xavi doesn't like Liverpool shocker. He's just bitter that, despite Man City's all conquering collection of superstars, there is still an awful lot more interest in the day to day fortunes of LFC. :)

Don't shoot the messenger.

Anyway, I'm sure Rodgers will do a wonderful job.
    There's no real message there worth shooting a messenger over don't worry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I just don't get why Liverpool would sack a man that obviously loves the club to try replace him with a manager that might have a good record but inevitably it won't work.

Sacking KENNY was a stupid thing to do IMO he should have been given time to start again there and build a half decent squad. Do any pool fans feel the same? Obviously I'm not a pool fan but really would it not be better to give managers a chance??

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Xavi doesn't like Liverpool shocker. He's just bitter that, despite Man City's all conquering collection of superstars, there is still an awful lot more interest in the day to day fortunes of LFC. :)

Absolutely, the Anfield soap opera has me lamenting about our own dark days.

We're not nearly as interesting now so I've a void to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What an utterly crap appointment. No ambition at all.

Andre Villas-Boas
    I just don't get why Liverpool would sack a man that obviously loves the club to try replace him with a manager that might have a good record but inevitably it won't work.

Sacking KENNY was a stupid thing to do IMO he should have been given time to start again there and build a half decent squad. Do any pool fans feel the same? Obviously I'm not a pool fan but really would it not be better to give managers a chance??

A lot (hell of a lot) of Liverpool fans feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    A lot (hell of a lot) of Liverpool fans feel the same.

Not this one.
    He had money and made a complete fcuk of things.
    Club was moving backwards.
    Brave step by FSG.
    Hope he is given financial backing.
    Brave new start and I support it.
    Shows that these boys are taking a long term view of things.

Paul Lambert
    Calm down buddy

Thanks for your thoughts though, they're built on as much evidence as the post you attacked. You showed me :pac:

if bbc are correct though that rodgers will have full control then if martinez uses the excuse that he wasn't prepared to work under a DoF won't wash

martinez and whelan are now in a tough situation, whelan running his mouth all week and martinez photographed, what can they say? i guarantee they won't say "robbie went for it but was overlooked" - it will be interesting to see how they play it but whatever happens i'm glad motormouth whelan's bluff was called, maybe will teach him to shut his gob in future

Paul Lambert
    Absolutely, the Anfield soap opera has me lamenting about our own dark days.

We're not nearly as interesting now so I've a void to fill.

difference is in man city's darkest days they were in the third tier of the league, liverpool's darkest days see them in two cup finals and finishing 8th

so shooting your own question right back at you

what does that tell you?

however i have zero intention of getting into a dispute with a man city fan as I really like the club and have done for a long time and was delighted with their deserved title win - just surprised to see such animosity for pool coming from a city fan when it usually comes from your recently quieted neighbours

Andre Villas-Boas
    Paully D wrote: »
    What an utterly crap appointment. No ambition at all.

Gutless really. Kenny was controversial, so they've brought in a tidy younger guy who the media like. He probably won't rock the boat too much or make too many demands either.

We are now officially a mid table club for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    Not this one.
    He had money and made a complete fcuk of things.
    Club was moving backwards.
    Brave step by FSG.
    Hope he is given financial backing.
    Brave new start and I support it.
    Shows that these boys are taking a long term view of things.

This from a poster who when it's proven that his posts are wrong starts accusing people of working in Burger King. Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Gutless really. Kenny was controversial, so they've brought in a tidy younger guy who the media like. He probably won't rock the boat too much or make too many demands either.

We are now officially a mid table club for the forseeable future.

I don't get why you make this assumption. That's not what he did at Swansea. He demanded high-up pressing out of them including players who at other clubs had been lazy (Sinclair, Graham). I can see him dropping Gerrard as well, he wasn't afraid to drop the established captain at Swansea either.

• Advertisement

Paul Lambert
    G.K. wrote: »
    I don't get why you make this assumption. That's not what he did at Swansea. He demanded high-up pressing out of them including players who at other clubs had been lazy (Sinclair, Graham). I can see him dropping Gerrard as well, he wasn't afraid to drop the established captain at Swansea either.

Dropping a Swansea captain is a little different than dropping Steven Gerrard.

Andre Villas-Boas

Nah, I mean in relation to his demands from FSG in terms of resources and support.

As for Gerrard, Rodgers could end this for himself very quickly indeed if he tries to take on Gerrard and Carragher straight off the bat.

Andre Villas-Boas
    amiable wrote: »
    This from a poster who when it's proven that his posts are wrong starts accusing people of working in Burger King. Good one

Don't you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

It was dangerous hiring Kenny in the first place really. FSG were always going to be in a sticky situation when it came to moving the King on due to blind loyalty from a lot of pool fans.

I also think that's the reason they didn't seem to show much interest in Rafa, they didn't want to repeat the mistake of hiring another LFC legend. It would of caused divisions if it didn't work out and i think a lot of fans would of then called for FSG to go if they moved Rafa on.

Rogers is an uninspiring choice, Martinez would of been a slightly better option. Although neither will be given the time by fans and i would imagine expectations will be outrageously unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Pep Guardiola
    Cant believe Liverpool are interested in Brendan Rodgers.

I dont see him as the right man to take the club forward.

Paul Lambert
    Don't you? :D

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Paul Lambert
    It was dangerous hiring Kenny in the first place really. FSG were always going to be in a sticky situation when it came to moving the King on due to blind loyalty from a lot of pool fans.

I also think that's the reason they didn't seem to show much interest in Rafa, they didn't want to repeat the mistake of hiring another LFC legend. It would of caused divisions if it didn't work out and i think a lot of fans would of then called for FSG to go if they moved Rafa on.

Rogers is an uninspiring choice, Martinez would of been a slightly better option. Although neither will be given the time by fans and i would imaging expectations will be outrageously unrealistic.

I think this choice of a manager will actually decrease expectation next season...personally i would not have Rodgers or Martinez in charge of the team.

oh well i still think next season will be our season!! ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert
    donfers wrote: »
    difference is in man city's darkest days they were in the third tier of the league, liverpool's darkest days see them in two cup finals and finishing 8th

so shooting your own question right back at you

what does that tell you?

however i have zero intention of getting into a dispute with a man city fan as I really like the club and have done for a long time and was delighted with their deserved title win - just surprised to see such animosity for pool coming from a city fan when it usually comes from your recently quieted neighbours

I know a fair few City fans be it here or there locally, many of them are grand, and don't share this hilarious at this stage hatred our friend Xavi does for Liverpool. Bless him.

Was happy with City winning the title too, United aside even at that too.

Rogers is an uninspiring choice, Martinez would of been a slightly better option. Although neither will be given the time by fans and i would imagine expectations will be outrageously unrealistic.

Can't believe I'm taking the bait here but meh. Enlighten us as to what these outrageously unrealistic expectations from Liverpool supporters are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Jurgen Klinnsman
    If Brendan Rodgers is to be the next manager it will be interesting to see how much say he will have in new signings. It is a gamble but he will get my full support.

Andre Villas-Boas
    amiable wrote: »
    No

You didn't express any opinion then.
    And you haven't expressed one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    This could be a huge mistake from Liverpool. How many managers have had one good season in the PL and ended up at nothing over the last few years?

I'm assuming he'll try to mirror Swansea's style of play with Liverpool. How long will that take? You can't just start playing that very specific possession based style of football with any team and hit it off in a couple of months. Swansea have been working on that style for years. I can see this ending in disaster.

And if he gets full control then it gets even more ridiculous. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the manager's job at Liverpool with full authority. he might work out but it's unlikely that he will and the risk is far too great.

Liverpool need to get back into the Champions League ASAP. Hire a manager with a proven track record, give them money to spend and let them work away. They don't need to be flirting with the likes of Rodgers hoping that he'll turn out to be the next Pep Guardiola or Sir Alex Ferguson. They don't have the leeway to be taking risks like that, especially with the stern competition that exists in the PL at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    -Ade- wrote: »

Can't believe I'm taking the bait here but meh. Enlighten us as to what these outrageously unrealistic expectations from Liverpool supporters are?

20120406070829-45b1512f.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Andre Villas-Boas
    Blatter wrote: »
    This could be a huge mistake from Liverpool. How many managers have had one good season in the PL and ended up at nothing over the last few years?

I'm assuming he'll try to mirror Swansea's style of play with Liverpool. How long will that take? You can't just start playing that very specific possession based style of football with any team and hit it off in a couple of months. Swansea have been working on that style for years. I can see this ending in disaster.

Our Academy has been geared towards a similar type of football for three years now, since the restructuring by Rafa. It has been embedded into the club through all the youth levels. One of the complaints that has been leveled by fans of our new Academy is that while our youth teams play in a certain way it has been at odds with how our first team plays. Rodgers philosophy on the game is very similar on a technical, tactical and system level to what is currently being used at every other level within the club.

His job will be to get the first team playing that way.

Opr

Andre Villas-Boas
    Hopefully he'll play Adorjan.

Marcello Bielsa
    opr wrote: »
    Our Academy has been geared towards a similar type of football for three years now, since the restructuring by Rafa. It has been embedded into the club through all the youth levels. One of the complaints that has been leveled by fans of our new Academy is that while our youth teams play in a certain way it has been at odds with how our first team plays. Rodgers philosophy on the game is very similar on a technical, tactical and system level to what is currently being used at every other level within the club.

His job will be to get the first team playing that way.

Opr

Well that is one positive but the fact the vast majority of the current first team aren't geared towards that style will still be a big obstacle in the short to medium term.

Andre Villas-Boas
    But are they?

Reina is perfect for the system. Doni may well be decent with his feet.
    Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Johnson, Kelly (As a CB) and Enrique all fit the system.
    Lucas, Busquets aside, is _the_ player who I'd want to play DM in such a system, provided he returns to pre-injury levels of playing.
    Henderson is capable of playing the role.
    You've got Bellamy, Suarez and Maxi who'd do well.
    Then the youngsters on the fringe of the first team - Adorjan, Suso, Sterling and Teixera would be excellent in it.
    4 starters at most would be needed.

Carra, Gerrard, Adam, Carroll, Downing, possibly Kuyt - these are the guys that need to worry, and Carroll excepted, none of them are going to be in the liverpool team in more than a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Andre Villas-Boas

He should be starting for Hungry u19's in the game about to kick off against Germany.
    Blatter wrote: »
    Well that is one positive but the fact the vast majority of the current first team aren't geared towards that style will still be a big obstacle in the short to medium term.

It's a massive undertaking for him. I just hope he gets some time and patience from our support. The underlying problem is that I agree we had better options to take the job.

Edit - I agree GK, I think we have a core group of players very suited to his style.

Opr

Paul Lambert
    You didn't express any opinion then.
    And you haven't expressed one now.

I've expressed plenty of opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Andre Villas-Boas

he is a player that has kinda gone below the radar because of sterling and susu but he has impressed me alot this season with his intellgence more than anything.

But were do you see him fitting in to a Rogers type system?

Marcello Bielsa
    But are they?

Lucas, Busquets aside, is _the_ player who I'd want to play DM in such a system, provided he returns to pre-injury levels of playing.
    Then the youngsters on the fringe of the first team - Adorjan, Suso, Sterling and Teixera would be excellent in it.

Carra, Gerrard, Adam, Carroll, Downing, possibly Kuyt - these are the guys that need to worry, and Carroll excepted, none of them are going to be in the liverpool team in more than a few years time.

I think they have a fair few players that could work in the system. But I could still see it taking a lot of time for them to adapt to it together, which will be seen by results in the short to medium term.

Time will tell but after a fair bit of thinking on it, I don't see this as a good appointment because the risk is simply too big.

Andre Villas-Boas
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    he is a player that has kinda gone below the radar because of sterling and susu but he has impressed me alot this season with his intellgence more than anything.

But were do you see him fitting in to a Rogers type system?

In the 'Sigurdsson role'. His big limitation is that he can't play to his full abilitiy except in that 'no 10' role.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Rodgers will deliver the league title next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But are they?

You've got that arseways GK with a few of those players. Bellamy is not suited to that style of football and Lucas isn't either.
    Kuyt is the type of player that could relish working in a system like that. Adam is another and Downing would fit very well in that type of system too. Even Carroll might do well as a CF with a system like that if there are plenty of crosses at the end of all the passing and he can pass the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Andre Villas-Boas
    In the 'Sigurdsson role'. His big limitation is that he can't play to his full abilitiy except in that 'no 10' role.

that seems the most natural but i think sigurdsson plays closer to the 2 cm's than Adorjan would be comfortable. Someone like shelvey would have the better attributes imo

I think Adorjan would be more comfortable closer to the frontman playing just in behind in a trequartista role and I dont really see room for him it that formation

Andre Villas-Boas
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rodgers will deliver the league title next season.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    Carragher/Carroll - fair enough.
    Gerrard/Adam - they are both good enough passers to play in a Rodgers team. Adam at Blackpool played similar football to what Swansea do.
    Downing/Kuyt - both are as consistent as the likes of Sinclair/Dyer.

Overall, I would only have serious worries about Carroll. He just won't fit into a Swansea system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Brendan Rogers 3 year deal . done

A bit like Pacheco imo - never see the best of him on the wing - Suso is similar but somewhat better than the other two mentioned at playing on the wing/CM etc.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Eagle Eye, why do you think Lucas wouldn't be? Positionally excellent DM, good at winning ball back, with good passing ability?

And I really don't see Adam working in it at all, considering long passes are all he has and Rodgers uses them infrequently.

Downing isn't suited at all either imo. Swansea aren't a crossing team.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Carragher/Carroll - fair enough.
    Gerrard/Adam - they are both good enough passers to play in a Rodgers team. Adam at Blackpool played similar football to what Swansea do.
    Downing/Kuyt - both are as consistent as the likes of Sinclair/Dyer.

Overall, I would only have serious worries about Carroll. He just won't fit into a Swansea system.

Gerrard and Adam are hollywood pass merchants. They are pointless in a Rodgers system where keeping the ball is everything. Blackpool played nothing like Swansea. I've gone into detail about this before.

Downing and Kuyt's consistency is irrelevant. It's about the style of player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

3 year deal for BR:eek:

That news has cheered me up no end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement