Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Of the 6 Kuyt is clearly the best suited but I'd still worry abut him more than the others I mentioned as definitely capable of playing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    G.K. wrote: »
    Gerrard and Adam are hollywood pass merchants. They are pointless in a Rodgers system where keeping the ball is everything. Blackpool played nothing like Swansea. I've gone into detail about this before.

Downing and Kuyt's consistency is irrelevant. It's about the style of player.
    If you can play a Hollywood ball, you can play it short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Blatter wrote: »
    This could be a huge mistake from Liverpool. How many managers have had one good season in the PL and ended up at nothing over the last few years?

I'm assuming he'll try to mirror Swansea's style of play with Liverpool. How long will that take? You can't just start playing that very specific possession based style of football with any team and hit it off in a couple of months. Swansea have been working on that style for years. I can see this ending in disaster.

And if he gets full control then it gets even more ridiculous. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the manager's job at Liverpool with full authority. he might work out but it's unlikely that he will and the risk is far too great.

Liverpool need to get back into the Champions League ASAP. Hire a manager with a proven track record, give them money to spend and let them work away. They don't need to be flirting with the likes of Rodgers hoping that he'll turn out to be the next Pep Guardiola or Sir Alex Ferguson. They don't have the leeway to be taking risks like that, especially with the stern competition that exists in the PL at the moment.

Why manager with a proven track record doesn't expect his team to have high possession? I've heard rodgers style is similar to Rafa, if it is then why would rafa be any better? Also, apart from Rafa I've no idea what manager with a proven track record they should go after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    If you can play a Hollywood ball, you can play it short.

Gerrard and Adam will always go for the hollywood ball. You won't coach it out of them at their age. Anyway, with Adam he offers nothing else. He's a poor player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm assuming he'll try to mirror Swansea's style of play with Liverpool. How long will that take? You can't just start playing that very specific possession based style of football with any team and hit it off in a couple of months. Swansea have been working on that style for years. I can see this ending in disaster.

Chelsea tried to do the same thing with AVB ,playing a high pressing open game.
    It failed badly as Chelsea didnt have the players to fit that system .
    I dont see Liverpool faring any better .

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Chelsea tried to do the same thing with AVB ,playing a high pressing open game.
    It failed badly as Chelsea didnt have the players to fit that system .
    I dont see Liverpool faring any better .

Benitez played a pressing game. He did alright.

As you say, you need the players to play the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Poor man's Hodgson.

Cant see Liverpool finishing above 9th next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Andre Villas-Boas
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Poor man's Hodgson.

Cant see Liverpool finishing above 9th next season.

Hodgson was proven to be incapable before arriving.

at least Rodgers is young, ambitious, and has the potential to be a great manager...whether he realises it or not is another thing.

whatever about people's opinions on Rodgers being unsuitable, this isn't even close to the Hodgson appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Paul Lambert
    be8a0cf3.jpg

If only I had money to bet at the time, lucky bugger lumped 200 quid on it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hope it turns out well for him but honestly can't see it happening unless he spends alot of money replacing alot of the dross Kenny bought

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    maximoose wrote: »
    be8a0cf3.jpg

lol at the comments :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    maximoose wrote: »
    be8a0cf3.jpg

Probably a pile of similar tweets from Martinez 'cousin' and AVB's hairdresser.
    Results based thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Andre Villas-Boas
    Probably a pile of similar tweets from Martinez 'cousin' and AVB's hairdresser.
    Results based thinking.

Supposedly the news has been buzzing round his home town for the last few days which is why the money kept coming for him when the news stories didn't seem to support the market shift.

I'd say the pubs will be jumping in Carnlough tonight :)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Who?

So not that awfully nice chap from Wigan then?

Sign of the times that Pool are linked with managers like this.

Dare say it will end in tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Didn't Rodgers turn down the opportunity to speak to Liverpool about 2/3 weeks ago?

What changed his mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Didn't Rodgers turn down the opportunity to speak to Liverpool about 2/3 weeks ago?

What changed his mind?

You mustn't have heard mate......Our year next year so it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Thought Martinez was favourite?

Anyhoo, Swansea were great last season, if he can get Pool's players playing in a similar manner then I'd expect them to have quite the decent season.

Hopefully that won't happen and Pool's over-eager fans will have him hounded out by Xmas/New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

What changed his mind?

Turned down a chance to take part in the interview process, was still interested in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Paul Lambert
    Didn't FSG say last week that the new manager would be expected to deliver CL football ? ie that's the clear barometer for success.

I think this is an underwhelming appointment but it could come good. If he's given a chance then he might do well, but to expect CL football in season 1 is OTT in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Turned down a chance to take part in the interview process, was still interested in the job.

So after FSG supposedly incorporating this American Business model of interviewing approximately 12 candidates, they just go and offer the job to Rodgers? A guy they didn't interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    So after FSG supposedly incorporating this American Business model of interviewing approximately 12 candidates, they just go and offer the job to Rodgers? A guy they didn't interview?

And sorely lacking in the criteria they supposedly set out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Andre Villas-Boas
    Ugh can really see this going badly. Would have liked to see someone with success at a big club/in Europe perhaps. Very high risk imo.

Saying that, who knows he might be a great appointment. But I just don't see it. Underwhelming to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

he's the best liverpool can hope for tbh. a decent mid table manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

froog wrote: »
    he's the best liverpool can hope for tbh. a decent mid table manager.

must.try.harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Leiva wrote: »
    must.try.harder

which bit do you disagree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    Leiva wrote: »
    must.try.harder

Problem is, after Rodgers has been sacked with another season wasted - he'll be all that closer to on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Paul Lambert
    awful appointment, can see this ending very, very badly.

Will he last longer than Hodgson?
    Managers need about 3-4 seasons to really make their mark on a team and I can't see fans being that patient with this appointment unfortunatley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jurgen Klinnsman
    So the guy that didnt want the job got the job? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    I see Brendan Rodgers,in one afternoon,has jumped from 2% to 4% in the poll......how incredibly intuitive some posters here are. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who'll be the next Swansea manager then? Poyet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Andre Villas-Boas
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    I see Brendan Rodgers,in one afternoon,has jumped from 2% to 4% in the poll......how incredibly intuitive some posters here are. :D

Ha just noticed he was 17 when I looked earlier and moved up to 19 votes. Clowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    Who'll be the next Swansea manager then? Poyet?

Seems the obvious choice.

I think this is an underwhelming appointment but it could come good. If he's given a chance then he might do well, but to expect CL football in season 1 is OTT in my opinion.

I can't see Liverpool being back in the top 4 for a long long time, United, Arsenal City are always gonna be up there imo , next come Chelsea with there big resources and Spurs have much better players than Liverpool do at the moment.

A lot of the players Kenny bought are well below Chelsea/Spurs standards and no matter what system they play I just can't see it happening. If Liverpool were to have a big clear out and get in 4 really top players they'd have a great shout, they have a formidable defense and with Lucas/Suarez/Possibly Gerrard some excellent players, the problem is attracting those top players to the club, no disrespect to Liverpool but if a real top player is available the more lucrative choice are clubs currently playing CL which are more attractive.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the same position next year or one above it. Big clear out is needed and alot of money spent, Kenny has to take alot of blame for the current situation. Its almost impossible to offload KK signings after 1 season though, not trying to be Harsh but Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam are never gonna be a nucleus of a team in the top 4

Rafael Benitez
    cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ha just noticed he was 17 when I looked earlier and moved up to 19 votes. Clowns
    He had 9 votes when I first looked today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Louis Van Gaal
    Was he even on the list, when I checked first? I remember, some names were added ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone for a "Is Brendon Rodgers and Liverpool done" thread? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think Rodgers is good pick by Liverpool personally.

He will need get off to good start though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

nuxxx wrote: »
    I can't see Liverpool being back in the top 4 for a long long time, United, Arsenal City are always gonna be up there imo , next come Chelsea with there big resources and Spurs have much better players than Liverpool do at the moment.

Next come Chelsea , i like that!. Remember where they came season just gone..... 6th. As a spurs supporter i'd be more worried about pool next season than chelski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    Anyone for a "Is Brendon Rodgers and Liverpool done" thread? :D

Start it when Chelsea gets a new manager.

BERBA wrote: »
    Next come Chelsea , i like that!. Remember where they came season just gone..... 6th. As a spurs supporter i'd be more worried about pool next season than chelski.

Fair enough, still think Chelsea will finish ahead of Spurs next season though

• Advertisement

Rafael Benitez
    I fully expect Chelsea to be in the top 3 next season.
    AVB and what he tried to do with the team is the reason they finished where they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Disappointed he's leaving Swansea. Was looking forward to seeing how Swansea did/played next season.

that was last season, we have already shown our intent.
    We'll be up their challenging dont you worry.

I'd be more worried about keeping your squad together!

Think this is the main problem with Spurs, they've been hovering between the CL places and just below it for a few seasons now. The killer blow was Chelsea winning the CL imo and taking their CL place. Doubts will set in, I seen an interview with Bale where he stated he wants to play in the CL and if Spurs cant provide that he can't guarentee his future. I'd be sure its not only him thinking that way, Modric has said many times he wants to leave. None of the other "top" PL teams have that kind of mentality. When the bigger teams come knocking the attraction will be too much.

that was last season, we have already shown our intent.
    We'll be up their challenging dont you worry.

suppose its easy to throw 500m at it Sarge.

You said the same thing last season with AVB and Torres on board ..."we'll be up their challenging". Modric was the final piece of yere jigsaw and look what happened there.

Unlike ye we don't have 500m to throw at it , let the new season commence .....can't wait

Think this is the main problem with Spurs, they've been hovering between the CL places and just below it for a few seasons now. The killer blow was Chelsea winning the CL imo and taking their CL place. Doubts will set in, I seen an interview with Bale where he stated he wants to play in the CL and if Spurs cant provide that he can't guarentee his future. I'd be sure its not only him thinking that way, Modric has said many times he wants to leave. None of the other "top" PL teams have that kind of mentality. When the bigger teams come knocking the attraction will be too much.

Bale and Modders shouldn't have signed 6 year contracts last year ...not with Danny Levy around anyhow.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

is it time to get the popcorn?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas

A lot of the players Kenny bought are well below Chelsea/Spurs standards and no matter what system they play I just can't see it happening. If Liverpool were to have a big clear out and get in 4 really top players they'd have a great shout, they have a formidable defense and with Lucas/Suarez/Possibly Gerrard some excellent players, the problem is attracting those top players to the club, no disrespect to Liverpool but if a real top player is available the more lucrative choice are clubs currently playing CL which are more attractive.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the same position next year or one above it. Big clear out is needed and alot of money spent, Kenny has to take alot of blame for the current situation. Its almost impossible to offload KK signings after 1 season though, not trying to be Harsh but Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam are never gonna be a nucleus of a team in the top 4

I dont agree, Liverpool battered a lot of the top teams last year but just could not finish them off, there is a very fine line between success and failure at this level, i saw enough in that liverpool side last year to prove they should be challenging for top 4.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I dont agree, Liverpool battered a lot of the top teams last year but just could not finish them off, there is a very fine line between success and failure at this level, i saw enough in that liverpool side last year to prove they should be challenging for top 4.

Completely agree , if some of those chances that hit woodwork last season had gone in , pool would have been bang up there. I can see them challenging next season for Top 4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Andre Villas-Boas

More worried about the pool is correct .......... but only for your Europa league spot :pac:

On topic its a great signing for Liverpool , hopefully the fans dont expect Rogers to preform miracles in his first season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement