Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Andre Villas-Boas
    Of the two candidates I have to say I am much happier with Rodgers. Martinez's few good games last season should never have seen him considered for the role, not after season upon season of fielding teams and tactics that were always capable of bringing about a 7 or 8 goal drubbing. I am not ecstatic about this by any means but it is without a doubt the better appointment given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

niallo27 wrote: »
    I dont agree, Liverpool battered a lot of the top teams last year but just could not finish them off, there is a very fine line between success and failure at this level, i saw enough in that liverpool side last year to prove they should be challenging for top 4.

They might challenge as you put it, but I'd wager money they won't finish in the top 4, not next season and not the one after. Not directly saying that to you, but there isnt a hope in hell i'd back Liverpool in the next 2 seasons to finish in the top 4 even with big odds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    Paully D wrote: »
    Who'll be the next Swansea manager then? Poyet?

No chance Martinez will go back there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

BERBA wrote: »
    Completely agree , if some of those chances that hit woodwork last season had gone in , pool would have been bang up there. I can see them challenging next season for Top 4.

nay. If only belongs in the land of make believe

Utd could say the same about the title or Spurs could ask how they let a big lead and third place slip?

You cant go blaming luck or other teams or even other teams money

Paul Lambert
    Anyone for a "Is Brendon Rodgers and Liverpool done" thread? :D

I'd say a thread of ''Are Chelsea and whoever their next manager is are done?'' would be more apt IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Solskjaer for Swansea!!!!

Paul Lambert
    Solskjaer for Swansea!!!!

Did he not stay in Swansea for family reasons?
    I think he'll want to challenge himself in England sooner or later though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Utd could say the same about the title or Spurs could ask how they let a big lead and third place slip?

to be fair , correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the pool hit the woodwork 30+ times last season , they creating the chances and thats without gerard suarez and lucas for a good section of last season coupled with a misfiring carroll. I think next season will be different for Liverpool not at our expense i hope.

Paul Lambert
    nuxxx wrote: »
    They might challenge as you put it, but I'd wager money they won't finish in the top 4, not next season and not the one after. Not directly saying that to you, but there isnt a hope in hell i'd back Liverpool in the next 2 seasons to finish in the top 4 even with big odds

You can't possibly say Liverpool definitely won't challenge the season after next for a top 4 finish.
    Who knows what will happen between now and then with regards signings and owners at clubs and FFP and lots of other factors.
    I'm not saying Liverpool definitely will qualify either it's just that one season at a time is a better way of looking at it for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas

What are you blaming Chelsea's 6th place finish on so, what makes you think they will be challenging this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Andre Villas-Boas
    amiable wrote: »
    I'd say a thread of ''Are Chelsea and whoever their next manager is are done?'' would be more apt IMO

Along with a, "this is our year (TEAM NAME) thread"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Andre Villas-Boas
    What are you blaming Chelsea's 6th place finish on so, what makes you think they will be challenging this year.

Probably a billion quid.:pac:

You can't possibly say Liverpool definitely won't challenge the season after next for a top 4 finish.
    Who knows what will happen between now and then with regards signings and owners at clubs and FFP and lots of other factors.
    I'm not saying Liverpool definitely will qualify either it's just that one season at a time is a better way of looking at it for now

I'm saying I wouldn't put any money on it even with big odds, of course its possible! If there's a massive clear out and alot of top quality players bought they'd be in with a shout but I honestly don't think that will happen

Andre Villas-Boas

If liverpools home recored refelected the dominance they had in most of the games at home, they would have been there or there abouts. I dont think getting this right will take a huge change, a fair share of luck would do be half way there.

Whos blaming? It was obvious that AVB's tactics didnt suit the players and it was the wrong time to join with the wrong players

So Wrong manager + Wrong players + Wrong time :p

Still Romans making up for it now - could your team finishing 3rd or worse! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If liverpools home recored refelected the dominance they had in most of the games at home, they would have been there or there abouts. I dont think getting this right will take a huge change, a fair share of luck would do be half way there.

I don't think the Man United's and Man City's of the world deal in a lot of 'if's'. Luck plays a part, but it is mostly about having the right players. Liverpool clearly didn't, last season.

If liverpools home recored refelected the dominance they had in most of the games at home, they would have been there or there abouts.

And if RDM was there from the start managing Chelsea they'd be much higher than they finished, or if Arsenal haven't of had such a poor start to the season they'd push the bracket for the top 4 spots even higher. There is alot of factors involved. Time will tell I guess one of us will be proven wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Even though Chelsea were better in the league under AVB compared to RDM?

G.K. wrote: »
    Even though Chelsea were better in the league under AVB compared to RDM?

Because they focused on the two cup semis/finals and rested their top players when the damage had already been done

Because they focused on the two cup finals and rested their top players when the damage had already been done

Yep that was the flip side of "if only"
    They gambled and won - won games they shouldnt have, couldnt have.
    Barca and Bayern did a liverpool - all the play but none of the goals

It was our time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts then every day would be Erntedankfest.

Paul Lambert

Not this year Pete. Next year. Get it right. Sgt will post a contradiction soon

Paul Lambert

Of course though you may have missed the point that there's been loads of done threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Paul Lambert
    Fairplay to Liverpool. Hope Rogers does a good job. He was excellent as a coach for us and has progressed on and on in is career.

Good move for both parties IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Andre Villas-Boas
    Of course though you may have missed the point that there's been loads of done threads

As you know by now , I dont miss much ;)

Was only jesting :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

so much for the 'exotics' in the poll..

ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Im glad Benitez or Martinez didn't get the job. However Rodgers is going to end up buying at least one Swansea player who won't be good enough for Liverpool.

Paul Lambert
    Im glad Benitez or Martinez didn't get the job. However Rodgers is going to end up buying at least one Swansea player who won't be good enough for Liverpool.

Unless there's a clause inserted in his release that he can't come back and buy any Swansea players or even a gentlemans agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Rogers will be a good manager for Liverpool, he's used to managing struggling teams and getting the best out of them. If the fans stay patient i can see them breaking into the top 4 in the next few years. How he will spend the money however will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Roberto Martinez
    do i get anything for guessing right ?

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Rogers will be a good manager for Liverpool, he's used to managing struggling teams and getting the best out of them. If the fans stay patient i can see them breaking into the top 4 in the next few years. How he will spend the money however will be interesting.

Brilliant - that will go down well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Roberto Martinez
    Unless there's a clause inserted in his release that he can't come back and buy any Swansea players or even a gentlemans agreement

There might even be a clause or gentlemans agreement that if Liverpool are going to do something like this . . .

tumblr_m4d9juVlgW1qew0oco1_500.gif

Like last year, that he promises to come back and throw it at Swansea players ;)

Paul Lambert
    syngindub wrote: »
    do i get anything for guessing right ?

A bualadh bos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    The only Swansea players I'd consider taking would be Vorm, Taylor, Allen, Britton, Dyer and Sigurdsson (Though he doesn't count as a Swansea player yet), and all of them except Sig and Vorm would definitely not be first choice (Allen could grow into it though). I don't think the rest are of Liverpool standard or have the potential to be. (Except Angel Rangel, but Liverpool hardly need RB's).

With our transfer record in the last year they would be crazy to do something like that. Why wouldn't they want 34 million for Scott Sinclair :rolleyes:

Andre Villas-Boas
    I don't think the Man United's and Man City's of the world deal in a lot of 'if's'. Luck plays a part, but it is mostly about having the right players. Liverpool clearly didn't, last season.

I dont like dealing with if's either, i'm just saying i saw enough in that liverpool side last year to make me think thee is no reason they cant brake into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

donfers wrote: »
    just surprised to see such animosity for pool coming from a city fan when it usually comes from your recently quieted neighbours
    -Ade- wrote: »
    I know a fair few City fans be it here or there locally, many of them are grand, and don't share this hilarious at this stage hatred our friend Xavi does for Liverpool. Bless him.

Didn't realise that being a City fan meant I had to like Pool :confused:

Anyway, if he's given time Rodgers will do well. A season to stabilise and weed out the crap then kick on in 2013/14.

I just hope for his sake that he 'gets' the club in the same that Hodgson apparently didn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Paul Lambert
    Liverpool to finish 4th under Rodgers in his first season at and next season win the champs league and premier league. Its our year!

In all seriousness tho, I think Rodgers will do a good job at the club.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that being a City fan meant I had to like Pool :confused:

Anyway, if he's given time Rodgers will do well. A season to stabilise and weed out the crap then kick on in 2013/14.

I just hope for his sake that he 'gets' the club in the same that Hodgson apparently didn't.

Good point that, lets hope he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Roberto Martinez
    I can see Rodgers doing well at Liverpool. I suspect he'd need at least two full seasons to get Liverpool competing again for a top four spot.

As for Martinez, I don't think he would have lasted the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Our year lads. Back off.

I can see Rodgers doing well at Liverpool. I suspect he'd need at least two full seasons to get Liverpool competing again for a top four spot.

Who wouldn't?

Yakult wrote: »
    I think Rodgers will do a good job at the club.

Whats a good job though, say over 3 years.

Edit nm, according to the previous post it will take at least 3 years to get Liverpool close or into the top 4 again and I agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas

Edit nm, according to the previous post it will take at least 3 years to get Liverpool close or into the top 4 again and I agree with that.

Disagree.
    Think he'll be close to the top 4 next year.
    Had we shown better than reasonable form this year we would have been close as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Paul Lambert
    Yakult wrote: »
    I think Rodgers will do a good job at the club.

Putting LFC back into the top 4 of English football, securing champions league and maintaining that level.

• Advertisement

The difficult thing for Rodgers with regard to the top four is that three of the places are pretty much cemented for the next few seasons with City, United and Chelsea all either strong or strenghtening.

After that, Arsenal and Spurs are very good sides while Newcastle will be no slouches again.

While Rodgers of course needs to do well with Pool, the position of those other sides is out of his hands and needs to be taken into consideration when assessing his performance (i.e. if he finished sixth next year).

Andre Villas-Boas
    The difficult thing for Rodgers with regard to the top four is that three of the places are pretty much cemented for the next few seasons with City, United and Chelsea all either strong or strenghtening.

After that, Arsenal and Spurs are very good sides while Newcastle will be no slouches again.

While Rodgers of course needs to do well with Pool, the position of those other sides is out of his hands and needs to be taken into consideration when assessing his performance (i.e. if he finished sixth next year).

Is this the same chelsea that finished 6th last year, will have a manager in his first season, no Drogba, terry and lampard a year older. I think they are far from a certainty next year.

Is this the same chelsea that finished 6th last year, will have a manager in his first season, no Drogba, terry and lampard a year older. I think they are far from a certainty next year.

Yep the same Chelsea who have signed Hazard, look like they could nab Hulk and are coming off the back of a Champions League win. Abramovich will be keen to kick on after that success and will loosen the purse strings (as we've already seen).

They are in a much better position than Liverpool anyway and I expect them to finish third next season comfortably.

I wouldn't lock Chelsea in as top 3 certainties. No guarantee on who the manager will be next season and their main striker Torres is still ****. Id put United, City, and Arsenal as guaranteed top 3 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Rafael Benitez
    Chelsea will be in top 3 I think. With Torres starting to score again and them signing Hazard and maybe Hulk as well they could be unstoppable next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement