Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Paul Lambert
    ollie1 wrote: »
    Chelsea will be in top 3 I think. With Torres starting to score again and them signing Hazard and maybe Hulk as well they could be unstoppable next season.

Hulk would be a decent bet for POTY if he signs. Brilliant player. That Hazard is meant to be okay too!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Paul Lambert
    I don't think much will change next season except I think City will win the league more comfortably with Utd finishing second again..Chelsea Spurs Newcastle and Arsenal between 3rd and 6th in some order and as much as I hate to say it Liverpool will likely finish in mid table obscurity. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    ollie1 wrote: »
    Chelsea will be in top 3 I think. With Torres starting to score again and them signing Hazard and maybe Hulk as well they could be unstoppable next season.

A lot of maybe's there, with the amount of money chelsea have ****ed away on strikers who have turned to ****, its impossible to tell what they will do, they still have the same problems they had at the start of last year with certain players having too much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep the same Chelsea who have signed Hazard, look like they could nab Hulk and are coming off the back of a Champions League win. Abramovich will be keen to kick on after that success and will loosen the purse strings (as we've already seen).

They are in a much better position than Liverpool anyway and I expect them to finish third next season comfortably.

Didn't most of us think that at the start of last season? Torres, Mata, AVB etc. Instead Arsenal without Nasri and Fab, Spurs and Newcastle pipped them, though they got a decent consolation prize!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    Yep the same Chelsea who have signed Hazard, look like they could nab Hulk and are coming off the back of a Champions League win. Abramovich will be keen to kick on after that success and will loosen the purse strings (as we've already seen).

They are in a much better position than Liverpool anyway and I expect them to finish third next season comfortably.

It will be interesting to see what he does want to do now that he has won everything he can with chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Pep Guardiola
    The difficult thing for Rodgers with regard to the top four is that three of the places are pretty much cemented for the next few seasons with City, United and Chelsea all either strong or strenghtening.

After that, Arsenal and Spurs are very good sides while Newcastle will be no slouches again.

While Rodgers of course needs to do well with Pool, the position of those other sides is out of his hands and needs to be taken into consideration when assessing his performance (i.e. if he finished sixth next year).

As long as the team makes progress I'm happy. I'm ok with 6th for his first season in charge. Anything after that is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

CL7 wrote: »
    As long as the team makes progress I'm happy. I'm ok with 6th for his first season in charge. Anything after that is a bonus.

In all fairness 6th should be the minimum finish, after United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs there's no one really better than Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Pep Guardiola
    We finished 8th this season?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Paul Lambert

yeah? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes but Lucas was out!

Also Downing, suarez etc were just going through their first seasons and statistically speaking Downing cant be as crap as he was.

Also hopefully Suarez' learned to suppress his racism so he wont get another lengthy ban.

I reckon Pool should comfortably finish 6th+.

On a side note I miss King Kenny :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Paul Lambert
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yes but Lucas was out!

Also Downing, suarez etc were just going through their first seasons and statistically speaking Downing cant be as crap as he was.

Also hopefully Suarez' learned to suppress his racism so he wont get another lengthy ban.

Suarez was a Jan signing of the previous season. Anyway I think he was horribly unlucky at times, downing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yes but Lucas was out!

Hitting the post! Don't forget hitting the post!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yeap, if they didnt hit the post they would have won the league!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Suarez was a Jan signing of the previous season. Anyway I think he was horribly unlucky at times, downing too.

Suarez was excellent, Downing has no ambition or drive or guts. No1 thought he would score that penalty when he stepped up, hes a bad player with even worse attitude, he wants to do well I feel but has no balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Pep Guardiola
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Suarez was excellent, Downing has no ambition or drive or guts. No1 thought he would score that penalty when he stepped up, hes a bad player with even worse attitude, he wants to do well I feel but has no balls

I admire Downing for stepping up for that penalty, showed a lot of courage IMO after the season he had. That showed balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    The missing ingredient for Liverpool last season was a goal machine.

Agreed new players have to be introduced and some of the older guys phased out.

But if Andy Carroll had put that ball in the back of the net 15/20 times in the league LFC would have been close or in that 4th spot.

This IMO will be Rodgers first task - buy a goal machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The missing ingredient for Liverpool last season was a goal machine.

Agreed new players have to be introduced and some of the older guys phased out.

But if Andy Carroll had put that ball in the back of the net 15/20 times in the league LFC would have been close or in that 4th spot.

This IMO will be Rodgers first task - buy a goal machine.

Very true but just like 100% of the teams in the world that are also looking for that "goal machine" its really hard to find yet alone attract to a team without CL footy.

The Papiss Cisse's of this World are few a far between :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    Leiva wrote: »
    Very true but just like 100% of the teams in the world that are also looking for that "goal machine" its really hard to find yet alone attract to a team without CL footy.

The Papiss Cisse's of this World are few a far between :o

For 35m you would have thought Kenny could find just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

To be fair to Carroll the guy was great in his last few games and never stopped working his socks off, if he carries that attitude into this season we won't need a "goal machine".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ha great, another hard worker playing for Liverpool :D Just what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he'll be gone by xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

fryup wrote: »
    he'll be gone by xmas

I hate to say it but I think you might have hit nail on the head there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

niallo27 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what he does want to do now that he has won everything he can with chelsea.

Not that this is the right thread for it, but he went into the dressing room after that and said "This is just the beginning" " I want us to do this again - and then something about 5 times or something"

Oh yes, and we are spending the estimated 100 mill we will make from that win, not new money from Roman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

He's going into one of the toughest jobs in world football.

A lot of big egos. Massive and unrealistic expectation of the supporters, even some on here saying next year will be their year and the will win the league, a few players past their best, and a few others under performing, and by the sounds of it not much transfer funds available.

If he gets Liverpool into the top 6 next year he will have done a good job imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    He's going into one of the toughest jobs in world football.

A lot of big egos. Massive and unrealistic expectation of the supporters, even some on here saying next year will be their year and the will win the league, a few players past their best, and a few others under performing, and by the sounds of it not much transfer funds available.

If he gets Liverpool into the top 6 next year he will have done a good job imo.

But next year will be our year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I wouldn't lock Chelsea in as top 3 certainties. No guarantee on who the manager will be next season and their main striker Torres is still ****. Id put United, City, and Arsenal as guaranteed top 3 though.

wouldn't bet my house on arsenal finishing top 3 next season , not with losing RVP in a few weeks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    BERBA wrote: »
    wouldn't bet my house on arsenal finishing top 3 next season , not with losing RVP in a few weeks:D

That might depend on who Arsenal bring in too

I can't see him going. I would be amazed if he went to another premier league club and the likes of AC Milan, Bayern, Barca, and Madrid don't need him. Aside from Juventus any other club would be a step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

TBF as a football supporter i think its great to see City/Chelsea/United spending big to bring in some quality players to the EPL. Hopefully Arsenal can spend a few pound and strenghten and likewise Tottenham, Newcastle and Liverpool. If the league has say 5 points between the first 7 teams it would make for exicitng viewing. What you dont want is a scottish league scenario developing.

Also, good to see some of the talent coming into the premier league given recent years has seen Ronaldo, Fabregas, Alonson, Mascherano etc leaving for Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I can't see him going. I would be amazed if he went to another premier league club and the likes of AC Milan, Bayern, Barca, and Madrid don't need him. Aside from Juventus any other club would be a step down.

When have Barca/Madrid ever worried about needing a player? Doesnt stop them going out and buying them though

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    When have Barca/Madrid ever worried about needing a player? Doesnt stop them going out and buying them though
    Firstly that's nonsense the only part of either team that you could say they have too many players is midfield not up front or in defense. Why would Van persie leave Arsenal where he is guaranteed to play every game in order to play at Barca or Madrid where he will be rotated with Villa/Benzema, Higuain. Or why would either team pay him over a hundred grand a week when they have good enough players already especially when financial fair play is coming in.

Van Persie's just looking for a wage increase, the only people that said he would leave are journalists looking to fill column inches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

How the mighty have fallen, nothing against Brendan Rogers, but there was a time that when Liverpool needed a manager they could take their pick. Lawrenson regards this move as a huge gamble, I tend to agree:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18269858

Liverpool are in real danger of slipping into the second tier of clubs in the EPL permanently, clubs that never win anything bar the odd Cup maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

there was a time that when Liverpool needed a manager they could take their pick.
    Apparently, they have.

And since when does Lawro count as a voice of reason!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Ape X wrote: »
    Apparently, they have.

And since when does Lawro count as a voice of reason!?

I don't know? All I know is that he gets paid to give his opinion. How much do you get for yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I don't know? All I know is that he gets paid to give his opinion. How much do you get for yours?
    Not as much, but I still make a living out of it ;)

what will make him leave is the fact he hasn't won a trophy in 7 years , plus the small matter of trebling his salary as well.

what will make him leave is the fact he hasn't won a trophy in 7 years , plus the small matter of trebling his salary as well.

So what club will buy him then? Like ive said Madrid, Barca, Bayern and Milan don't need him and won't pay him over 200 grand a week to sit on the bench and i can't see him going to another premier league club. So no one that can afford him actually needs him. Van Persie never said he wanted to go he's just interested in getting a wage increase at Arsenal, he's still going to be there next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah BERBA, clinging onto the slim slither of schadenfreude you'd get out of RVP leaving Arsenal? I suppose; anything to take your mind off the fact you'll be watching Slovan Bratislava or Rotor Volgograd in WHL on your Thursday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    cson wrote: »
    Ah BERBA, clinging onto the slim slither of schadenfreude you'd get out of RVP leaving Arsenal? I suppose; anything to take your mind off the fact you'll be watching Slovan Bratislava or Rotor Volgograd in WHL on your Thursday nights.

Nice.

So what club will buy him then? Like ive said Madrid, Barca, Bayern and Milan don't need him and won't pay him over 200 grand a week to sit on the bench and i can't see him going to another premier league club. So no one that can afford him actually needs him. Van Persie never said he wanted to go he's just interested in getting a wage increase at Arsenal, he's still going to be there next season.

Staring ya in the face......MAN CITY. They will buy him even if they don't need him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

cson wrote: »

OhSnapBlackKid.gif

In all seriousness how many Liverpool players are good enough to be in an 11 that would be fancied to get into the top 4. Never mind the fact that there's little depth in the squad (Lucas being the 6th best player ever at this point) how many would walk into Arsenal or Spurs' first 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    amiable wrote: »
    But next year will be our year

I was feeling uncertain about next year being our year but now that Plasmaguy has said it's not it's nailed on.....off to the bookies.

Andre Villas-Boas
    In all seriousness how many Liverpool players are good enough to be in an 11 that would be fancied to get into the top 4. Never mind the fact that there's little depth in the squad (Lucas being the 6th best player ever at this point) how many would walk into Arsenal or Spurs' first 11?

Spurs:

Suarez
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Reina

Arsenal:

Suarez
    Lucas
    Agger
    Enrique

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs:

Gerrard
    Lucas

you'd have lucas or gerrard in centre mid ahead of modric .....mmmmmm:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Roberto Martinez
    Spurs:

Suarez
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Reina

Arsenal:

Suarez
    Lucas
    Agger
    Enrique

I agrere with most of your list except take Gerrard out of the Spurs list. The role Gerrard would play in a Spurs team would have to go to Suarez.
    Or are you thinking Gerrard on the RW?

Spurs:

Suarez
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Reina

Arsenal:

Suarez
    Lucas
    Agger
    Enrique

So yeah, bigger problems than the manager :pac: As far as I can see there's a need for patience with Liverpool. I get the feeling that Rodgers will be chased out pretty quickly unless he can show that Kenny hadn't a clue what he was doing. Liverpool will have more cup games before Christmas next season than after Christmas last season so Rodgers will have to be a lot better than Kenny at rotation to manage that. Trouble is that I can't see what there is to rotate.

Andre Villas-Boas
    you'd have lucas or gerrard in centre mid ahead of modric .....mmmmmm:eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'd have Lucas ahead of Parker, and I'd find a way to get Gerrard on the pitch.
    killwill wrote: »
    I agrere with most of your list except take Gerrard out of the Spurs list. The role Gerrard would play in a Spurs team would have to go to Suarez.
    Or are you thinking Gerrard on the RW?

Gerrard is best at RW / AMC and I think Spurs would be improved with him on the pitch. How long that will continue to be true for is a different story though...

Andre Villas-Boas
    So yeah, bigger problems than the manager :pac: As far as I can see there's a need for patience with Liverpool. I get the feeling that Rodgers will be chased out pretty quickly unless he can show that Kenny hadn't a clue what he was doing. Liverpool will have more cup games before Christmas next season than after Christmas last season so Rodgers will have to be a lot better than Kenny at rotation to manage that. Trouble is that I can't see what there is to rotate.

I mean, all the same that is six players 'walking' into the Spurs side which finished 4th. That is pretty significant imo. I agree that patience is required - the problem is it wasn't afforded to Dalglish so good luck with that.

Rotation should involve a combination of the dross filler in the squad and players graduating from the academy like Wisdom, Suso, Sterling, etc.

My belief is that, had Kenny stayed, if we had narrowed our focus to league games and avoided something like the Lucas injury we'd have been in the CL mixer through the end of the season. I don't think that is unreasonable.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'd have Lucas ahead of Parker, and I'd find a way to get Gerrard on the pitch.

Gerrard is best at RW / AMC and I think Spurs would be improved with him on the pitch. How long that will continue to be true for is a different story though...

not a chance gerrard would get in at RW instead of lennon. You might get one of lucas or gerrard on pitch but not both....take the blinkers off man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement