Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    BERBA wrote: »
    not a chance gerrard would get in at RW instead of lennon. You might get one of lucas or gerrard on pitch but not both....take the blinkers off man.

Hey pot, you're black!

Whatever man, you and I will have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    the only place Gerrard could get in is RW.

No way would I have him above VDV.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I mean, all the same that is six players 'walking' into the Spurs side which finished 4th. That is pretty significant imo. I agree that patience is required - the problem is it wasn't afforded to Dalglish so good luck with that.

Rotation should involve a combination of the dross filler in the squad and players graduating from the academy like Wisdom, Suso, Sterling, etc.

My belief is that, had Kenny stayed, if we had narrowed our focus to league games and avoided something like the Lucas injury we'd have been in the CL mixer through the end of the season. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Well I'd argue with a couple of the players you mentioned, was just letting that go for the sake of the argument. :P The other problem is, from what I've heard from Liverpool fans, the major step-down in quality in most positions outside the absolute first team. Personally I can't believe Carragher is allowed near a team with any ambition. To me Liverpool are at least 4, maybe half a dozen, players short of a first 11 that I'd fancy to get into the top 4 and that would be with no back-up whatsoever. Arsenal last year lost 3 first-team players, generally seen as 3 of their 5 best players and somehow averted disaster, how would Liverpool cope with that under any manager?

Pretty huge investment is needed over a decent period of time and whether Rodgers is the man to do it or not remains to be seen but I can't blame the owners for not trusting Kenny and the rest with the money.

As for rotation, you seem to be a proponent of going for cup runs so how would you feel if he didn't focus on the EL next season? Most of this is me genuinely asking rather than just attacking because I'm not a Liverpool fan but it seems that outside the best 15 players or so that the rest of the Liverpool squad would make up the dross you refer to. With injuries that 15 or so leaves no rotation without using the dross and youths so which should be the focus next season? If Kenny had had EL football last season and made a tilt at it just how far down the table would have been acceptable and given that the few cup matches last season were a reason for poor form how massively would it have impacted the league position?

Do I think Rodgers is an upgrade on Kenny? Honestly I don't think he's any worse and with the right structure and support I'd see him as a stronger option. On top of that is that I can't blame the owners for not trusting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    In all seriousness how many Liverpool players are good enough to be in an 11 that would be fancied to get into the top 4. Never mind the fact that there's little depth in the squad (Lucas being the 6th best player ever at this point) how many would walk into Arsenal or Spurs' first 11?
    Players who would easily get into the Arsenal team:

Reina, Enrique, Agger, Gerrard, Lucas, Suarez.

Johnson is as good as Sagna, likewise, Skrtel is as good as Koscielny.

Our big problem last season was our lack of firepower upfront. We controlled a lot of games but simply lacked the attacking threat to put teams away. I genuinely believe that if we got 1-2 top quality goal threatening players, we would be a completely different team.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Sagna and Koscielny are superior, and Gerrard/Reina would not get in the arsenal team.

Lucas, Agger, Enrique and Suarez would.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Well I'd argue with a couple of the players you mentioned, was just letting that go for the sake of the argument. :P The other problem is, from what I've heard from Liverpool fans, the major step-down in quality in most positions outside the absolute first team. Personally I can't believe Carragher is allowed near a team with any ambition. To me Liverpool are at least 4, maybe half a dozen, players short of a first 11 that I'd fancy to get into the top 4 and that would be with no back-up whatsoever. Arsenal last year lost 3 first-team players, generally seen as 3 of their 5 best players and somehow averted disaster, how would Liverpool cope with that under any manager?.

Yeah, I don't agree with much of this but no point furthering as we're too far apart to make it worthwile.
    Pretty huge investment is needed over a decent period of time and whether Rodgers is the man to do it or not remains to be seen but I can't blame the owners for not trusting Kenny and the rest with the money.

If they're championing this DOF / Manager structure they should have concentrated on replacing Commolli as soon as possible and saying to Dalglish that he was going to drive transfer strategy imo.
    As for rotation, you seem to be a proponent of going for cup runs so how would you feel if he didn't focus on the EL next season? Most of this is me genuinely asking rather than just attacking because I'm not a Liverpool fan but it seems that outside the best 15 players or so that the rest of the Liverpool squad would make up the dross you refer to. With injuries that 15 or so leaves no rotation without using the dross and youths so which should be the focus next season? If Kenny had had EL football last season and made a tilt at it just how far down the table would have been acceptable and given that the few cup matches last season were a reason for poor form how massively would it have impacted the league position?

If we made a genuine run to the later stages of two cups next year (i.e. semi final plus) then it's a successful season for me. So long as there was no threat of relegation and the cup performances demonstrated promise that would be fine by me. Do one or the other. Do neither and I get impatient. :)
    Do I think Rodgers is an upgrade on Kenny? Honestly I don't think he's any worse and with the right structure and support I'd see him as a stronger option. On top of that is that I can't blame the owners for not trusting him.

Again, agree to disagree. But really, my policy on manager sackings will never change following the Staunton / Kerr debacle. If the replacement is demonstrably more accomplished, pull the trigger. If not (particularly when 8th + two cup finals is hardly panic stations), then stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

G.K. wrote: »
    The only Swansea players I'd consider taking would be Vorm, Taylor, Allen, Britton, Dyer and Sigurdsson (Though he doesn't count as a Swansea player yet), and all of them except Sig and Vorm would definitely not be first choice (Allen could grow into it though). I don't think the rest are of Liverpool standard or have the potential to be. (Except Angel Rangel, but Liverpool hardly need RB's).

Very interested to see if he brings any of his Swansea players to play in his preferred 4-2-3-1

Swansea;
    Rangel - Williams - Caulker - Taylor
    Allen - Britton
    Dyer - Sigurdson - Sinclair
    Graham

Liverpool:
    Johnson - Skertel - Agger - Enrique
    Levia - Henderson or Adams
    Suarez - Gerrard - Downing
    Carrol or Suarez

Big call where he will play Suarez. The 'Pool centre midfielders aren't equipped to play the way he wants.
    Possibility that he may try to bring Allen and Britton with him.

GK covers some of them, Agger I would argue as well.
    Yeah, I don't agree with much of this but no point furthering as we're too far apart to make it worthwile.
    Fair enough.
    If they're championing this DOF / Manager structure they should have concentrated on replacing Commolli as soon as possible and saying to Dalglish that he was going to drive transfer strategy imo.
    Didn't Dalglish take responsibility for the transfers? Though of course he would have to so that muddies things somewhat.
    If we made a genuine run to the later stages of two cups next year (i.e. semi final plus) then it's a successful season for me. So long as there was no threat of relegation and the cup performances demonstrated promise that would be fine by me. Do one or the other. Do neither and I get impatient. :)
    Fair enough, think you differ somewhat from most fans.
    Again, agree to disagree. But really, my policy on manager sackings will never change following the Staunton / Kerr debacle. If the replacement is demonstrably more accomplished, pull the trigger. If not (particularly when 8th + two cup finals is hardly panic stations), then stick.
    Again the trouble as I see it is that if the cup runs really had as big an effect as some claim on the league form then there's something massive that needs to be done.
    Obviously we're not going to agree on a whole lot, good that we can be civil to each other at least. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I Like Rogers, I think he's a good manager with a firm footballing philosophy (something that LFC have clearly lacked since Benetiz left) who, if given time and money, can do great things at Anfield
    Usually I'd agree but... well, would anyone trust Dalglish with a chequebook again after last summer's fiasco? And that's the key: trust. Do you trust the manager, no matter how embattled, to deliver the goods in the future? The problem wasn't so much that Liverpool were terrible this season gone but that they never looked like improving; there was no indication of progress. And that's probably what did for Dalglish

Andre Villas-Boas
    Didn't Dalglish take responsibility for the transfers? Though of course he would have to so that muddies things somewhat.

Dalglish wanted them, Commolli delivered them at those awful prices. They wouldn't be half as annoying if the fees were even half reasonablem (i.e. Downing for £12m and Henderson for £8m).

What should have happened is:

Kenny: Downing and Hendo please
    Commolli: Stand by, working...
    Kenny: Update?
    Commolli: No go, far too expensive. What's plan B?

And so on...
    Fair enough, think you differ somewhat from most fans.

I do, doesn't bother me.
    Obviously we're not going to agree on a whole lot, good that we can be civil to each other at least. :pac:

Agreed!

• Advertisement

Dalglish wanted them, Commolli delivered them at those awful prices. They wouldn't be half as annoying if the fees were even half reasonablem (i.e. Downing for £12m and Henderson for £8m).

What should have happened is:

Kenny: Downing and Hendo please
    Commolli: Stand by, working...
    Kenny: Update?
    Commolli: No go, far too expensive. What's plan B?

And so on...

Jesus, how poor would the team be if that had happened :pac:

I dunno, nothing but cup runs wouldn't seem like progress to me. Without major additions it's the best I can see Liverpool doing and it wouldn't be the kind of thing that would attract the top players needed long-term I wouldn't have thought.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Jesus, how poor would the team be if that had happened :pac:

Well, it might have been poorer, but there would have been a lot more left over in the kitty to try again this summer!

Andre Villas-Boas
    I dunno, nothing but cup runs wouldn't seem like progress to me. Without major additions it's the best I can see Liverpool doing and it wouldn't be the kind of thing that would attract the top players needed long-term I wouldn't have thought.

Falcao and Arda Turan went to Athletico who, as far as I can make out, have been making cup runs the past couple of years. We're not getting Eden Hazard any time soon, but the likes of Suarez are out there and can be got without CL football if you can demonstrate an opportunity to achieve something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Our big problem last season was our lack of firepower upfront. We controlled a lot of games but simply lacked the attacking threat to put teams away. I genuinely believe that if we got 1-2 top quality goal threatening players, we would be a completely different team.

If those players were so good then why didnt they finish higher or even close to Arsenal?

Close between Reina and Syzney.
    Skrtel and Agger not suited to how we defend.
    Johnson is a joke.
    Lucas is crap.
    Enrique not really better than what we have.
    Gerrard past it.
    Suarez probably would start.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    If those players were so good then why didnt they finish higher or even close to Arsenal?

Johnson is a joke.
    Lucas is crap.
    Gerrard past it.

I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

Andre Villas-Boas

Johnson is a joke.
    Lucas is crap.
    Gerrard past it.

Anyone who bites here aren't paying attention imo

Falcao and Arda Turan went to Athletico who, as far as I can make out, have been making cup runs the past couple of years. We're not getting Eden Hazard any time soon, but the likes of Suarez are out there and can be got without CL football if you can demonstrate an opportunity to achieve something...

Money and potential CL football I'd propose. They weren't far off getting it the season before I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

I watched him the season before last and rated him no better than any other DM out there.

He was injured all this season and now he has become world class :confused:
    Sorry I dont buy the Star to tell me who's good or not.
    Anyone who bites here aren't paying attention imo

Can you tell me which part you think I'm trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    I watched him the season before last and rated him no better than any other DM out there.

I think you'll find his stock had risen a long time before he got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

BERBA wrote: »
    Staring ya in the face......MAN CITY. They will buy him even if they don't need him.
    That's assuming Van Persie want's to go to city. The big fact you seem to keep overlooking is that not once has Van Persie said he wants to leave which leads me to believe he just ran down his contract to give him more barganing power in order to get a wage increase. The only thing staring me in the face are your baseless assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Explain to me how Agger woudln't be suited to how ye defend?

You must have stopped reading the Star in 2009 so and just stuck in the mindset Lucas is 'crap' so too I'm assuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

IMO, Losing Lucas was a big reason why you didnt finish higher.

Looking at the table, your goals conceded was much less than Arsenal who finished 3rd, but goals scored was poor.

Swansea, incidently, were worse than you for goals conceded and goals scored and thats for a supposedly open attacking team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Marcello Bielsa

Enrique probably would. Lucas and Suarez would be in contention but not a sure thing to start. Suarez would be the more likely to start out of the two. The rest would be back up players for the most part.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Enrique, Agger, Suarez and Lucas would start, that seems fairly obvious. No way would any more of Pool's players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LFC press conference @10am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Paul Lambert

Have to say as a liverpool fan I totally dis agree with this.. would you really be happy next year if we finish 13/14 safe from relegation but get to 2 cup finals?

Our ultimate aim has to be to get back into the champions league places again and progressing from there, every year we dont do this we fall further behind, and cup runs as great as they are would only mask a bad situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Andre Villas-Boas
    how on earth can people doubt that gerrard would start in an arsenal team that consisted on ramsey/rosiscky for the majority of the year is beyond me

Have to say as a liverpool fan I totally dis agree with this.. would you really be happy next year if we finish 13/14 safe from relegation but get to 2 cup finals?

Our ultimate aim has to be to get back into the champions league places again and progressing from there, every year we dont do this we fall further behind, and cup runs as great as they are would only mask a bad situation

Of course the top four is the target but I'm afraid that option has been taken away.

LL is right ... A good cup run/win and comfortable league position is probably a realistic expectation .

Andre Villas-Boas
    Lucas, Song and Wilshere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Andre Villas-Boas
    ^ Gotta agree with you firemansam4 ....

Cup wins are great IF they are coupled with a Top 4 finish (or during a period of re-building) however if year on year we got to Cup Finals but continuiously missed out (or we'rent even challenging for ..) Top 4 , we'd soon become a dreaded "sleeping giant" ...

Champions League is where it's at ... for revenue, competitiveness and retaining BIG CLUB status.

Ask Leeds how far away they are from getting back there having previously been semi-finalists (not that Im in anyway saying any club should adopt the Leeds Utd "blank cheque / no back up" method)

Andre Villas-Boas
    Lucas, Song and Wilshere.

lucas----wilshere

rw
    gerrard
    lw

RVP

gerrard in behind rvp would be mouthwatering stuff and Arsenal fans would be wetting themselves over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Coming from a neutral

Either
    -Sagna Kos Agger Enrique
    Lucas
    Wilshere Arteta
    -Suarez
    Podolski/Walcott
    R.V.P

Andre Villas-Boas
    If it was the 2005-09 Gerrard, yes.

The 2012 Gerrard? I doubt it.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Coming from a neutral

Either
    -Sagna Kos Agger Enrique
    Lucas
    Wilshere Arteta
    -Suarez
    Podolski/Walcott
    R.V.P

That's very close to my team.

Paul Lambert
    Leiva wrote: »
    Of course the top four is the target but I'm afraid that option has been taken away.

LL is right ... A good cup run/win and comfortable league position is probably a realistic expectation .

yes but we need to be striving towards it, i'm realistic to know that we probably are not going to get there next year but our main focus has to be on the leaugue. Cup runs as great as they are can only be secondary

• Advertisement

Paul Lambert
    but having said that i think this is going to be our year!!

Andre Villas-Boas
    If it was the 2005-09 Gerrard, yes.

The 2012 Gerrard? I doubt it.

if played in his natural position which is the AM role then yes

he has missed a lot of football but even when played he hasnt been as bad as people make out and had to be more disiplined in his play because he was playing alongside imposters in cm for a lot of the year.

with players like lucas and wilshere he would be free to do what he does best and him linking with rvp would be unstopable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

That's the same expectations that I used to enter most seasons with. I'm a Bolton fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do people actually think Lucas is better than Song?

Andre Villas-Boas
    As a DM, yes. His passing isn't quite on Song's level yet, but defensively/positionaly/etc he's definitely the best.

• Advertisement

Lucas is a decent player but I'd have Wilshere or Arteta beside Song anyday of the week ahead of him if you were merging the teams.

bullvine wrote: »
    Do people actually think Lucas is better than Song?
    I certainly would tbh - when Song moves forward his passing is far better in the final third.

But with Lucas you get far better positioning and breaking up of play - would pick him for that reason alone....in addition to being a biased LFC fan

As a DM, yes. His passing isn't quite on Song's level yet, but defensively/positionaly/etc he's definitely the best.

^^this^^

See Song is mainly remembered for that killer pass . Usually the little dink into the box for RVP but I think teams have copped onto that (I hope) :P

But Lucas kills space, closes down, nicks the ball and lays it off .
    His pass completion was up there with the best in Europe and he was injured for a massive part of the season.

But only on boards would a thread about Liverpools next manager morph into a thread about amalgamating LFC and AFC teams :pac:

I dont see the point of a defensive midfielder personally, a lot of good sides dont have them, Ferguson said it himself a few weeks ago, that United never really played with one and who are we to argue with him.

^^this^^

See Song is mainly remembered for that killer pass . Usually the little dink into the box for RVP but I think teams have copped onto that (I hope) :P

But Lucas kills space, closes down, nicks the ball and lays it off .
    His pass completion was up there with the best in Europe and he was injured for a massive part of the season.

But only on boards would a thread about Liverpools next manager morph into a thread about amalgamating LFC and AFC teams :pac:

Totally, best of luck to Rodgers, much better bet than Martinez, looking forward to watching Liverpool play next season, I think interesting times ahead for them as long as he gets the time to build something.

He'll certainly handle the media better than Kenny thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Funny quote from Rogers (taken from football 365)

Brendan Rodgers in the South Wales Evening Post, June 1:
    "It was an extremely, extremely difficult decision because my plan was always to stay here at Swansea for a number of years."

Brendan Rodgers at his Liverpool press conference, later on June 1: "Once I found out I was the number one target, it was an easy decision."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Congrates to Liverpool fans, im a big fan of Rogers!
    He will prove to be a big success im sure once he is given sufficiant time to mould his team.

Liverpool will start to play nice football under him and i just hope he wont get you lot being too good ;).

What he has done with swansea and the way he has done it he deserves a crack at the big time and he will be cabable of rebuilding the pool and taking his career to a new level. After all mourinho took him under his wing so he must have some thing about

Best of Luck Buck!!

bullvine wrote: »
    I dont see the point of a defensive midfielder personally, a lot of good sides dont have them, Ferguson said it himself a few weeks ago, that United never really played with one and who are we to argue with him.
    Play with a CM of Steven Gerrard and Charlie Adam you'll be begging for a DM in no time I'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Waits for the "Are Brendan Rogers and Liverpool finished?" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Pep Guardiola
    deman wrote: »
    Waits for the "Are Brendan Rogers and Liverpool done?" thread.

;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement