Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

deman wrote: »
    Waits for the "Are Brendan Rogers and Liverpool finished?" thread.

Now could be a good time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    Blatter wrote: »
    This could be a huge mistake from Liverpool. How many managers have had one good season in the PL and ended up at nothing over the last few years?

I'm assuming he'll try to mirror Swansea's style of play with Liverpool. How long will that take? You can't just start playing that very specific possession based style of football with any team and hit it off in a couple of months. Swansea have been working on that style for years. I can see this ending in disaster.

And if he gets full control then it gets even more ridiculous. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the manager's job at Liverpool with full authority. he might work out but it's unlikely that he will and the risk is far too great.

Liverpool need to get back into the Champions League ASAP. Hire a manager with a proven track record, give them money to spend and let them work away. They don't need to be flirting with the likes of Rodgers hoping that he'll turn out to be the next Pep Guardiola or Sir Alex Ferguson. They don't have the leeway to be taking risks like that, especially with the stern competition that exists in the PL at the moment.

This is what I said at the time of the appointment and I've seen little to change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

One huge flaw in that piece Blatter is that no one expect us to hit it off in a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    No real surprise at who dragged this thread up.:rolleyes:

Blatter is bang on, the man is out of his depth, and the annoying thing is if Liverpool had went for a proven manager and a couple of decent signings they could have been in the mix for fourth because of how much Arsenal have regressed and Spurs being so inconsistent.

Instead they went for 'The Rodgers' and his 'philosophy' which looks little more than a pile of bullsh*t at this stage. Personally I feel he got the job solely on the fact that he will be a yes man as the club follow Arsenal's pattern of sacrificing any attempt at trophies in favour of profit and cashing in on their best player at the end of every season.

I think today was a turning point for his term as manager, and even some of his supporters will be questioning him. Should be even more fun when he signs Sturridge in January and Suarez leaves in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    One huge flaw in that piece Blatter is that no one expect us to hit it off in a couple of months.

Maybe not, but would it be fair to say that most would have expected much better progress by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The 'sack Rogers' brigade did expect it judging by their comments.

Maybe not, but would it be fair to say that most would have expected much better progress by now?

True. However if we won today would he suddenly be a great manager and would it have been a brilliant decision by FSG? I mean a win today and we would have been 3 points off 4th. He's not done as well as hoped, but he's not been as bad as some people make out.

If you offered Liverpool fans the chance to be 5 points off fifth half way through December they would have snapped your hand off for it. If you said we'd be 12th they would have a fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is what I said at the time of the appointment and I've seen little to change my mind.

This is what I said and I feel the same:
    Paully D wrote: »
    What an utterly crap appointment. No ambition at all.

Paul Lambert
    I didn't say it at the time but I thought it, and still think it now.
    If supporters of other teams think it's a great idea then it's probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Page 61
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Poor man's Hodgson.

Cant see Liverpool finishing above 9th next season.

Not too sure - i think we should wait to the end of the season to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Marcello Bielsa
    What happened to the new fad of patience. See what he does this year and then see does it improve the year after.

dsmythy wrote: »
    What happened to the new fad of patience. See what he does this year and then see does it improve the year after.

That went out of fashion when Ritalin became more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Paul Lambert
    dsmythy wrote: »

Exactly this! He deserves to be given time and see what happens,

Kenny also deserved more time and should have been given another season, he wasn't given that.
    But that doesn't mean Rogers shouldn't be given more time now as well, if into next season he doesn't seem to be up to the job then maybe its time to think about replacing him then.

personally I was not that impressed when we went for him in the first place but now he is here he deserves a fair crack at the whip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andre Villas-Boas
    Luis Suarez has kept him in the job. We're not better than this time last year; probably not better than last season overall; and will have to live without our best player from next season on.

I'd wish we'd cut our losses now, but we'll have more bull**** and nonsense to wade through before he gets the opportunity to slide down the other side of the mountain that will be the rest of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Andre Villas-Boas
    I would have thought he's more likely to roll than slide.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Kenny also deserved more time and should have been given another season, he wasn't given that.
    But that doesn't mean Rogers shouldn't be given more time now as well, if into next season he doesn't seem to be up to the job then maybe its time to think about replacing him then
    The difference with Kenny is that he badly, badly botched a transfer window; destroying faith in whether he could rebuild the team. Rogers is still struggling with this legacy, both in terms of the players he has available and the unwillingness of the owners to fully back him in the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So now Liverpool fans want to be Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    CSF wrote: »
    So now Liverpool fans want to be Chelsea?

It's the one time I wish we were Chelsea and appointed Rafa back in charge, he wants the job, he lives for the job, give him the ****en job.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Luis Suarez has kept him in the job. We're not better than this time last year; probably not better than last season overall; and will have to live without our best player from next season on.

I'd wish we'd cut our losses now, but we'll have more bull**** and nonsense to wade through before he gets the opportunity to slide down the other side of the mountain that will be the rest of his career.

How can you be so sure ? Would you give him more time if his name was Pep Guardiola.

I just don't know what you expected when he came in to what is easily the toughest job in world football.He was forced to move on all the deadwood before he could reinvest our squad is paper thin and we are relying on a left back and a 17 year old to front our attack.

If Benitez didn't win a European cup in his first season you lot would have probably called for his head as he finished 5th with a much better squad.

Can someone who wants BR out give me a sensible answer as to what they would do and who they would replace him with ??

Andre Villas-Boas
    Yurt wrote: »
    How can you be so sure ? Would you give him more time if his name was Pep Guardiola.

I just don't know what you expected when he came in to what is easily the toughest job in world football.He was forced to move on all the deadwood before he could reinvest our squad is paper thin and we are relying on a left back and a 17 year old to front our attack.

If Benitez didn't win a European cup in his first season you lot would have probably called for his head as he finished 5th with a much better squad.

Can someone who wants BR out give me a sensible answer as to what they would do and who they would replace him with ??

See my post above, Rafa wants the job.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »

It's the one time I wish we were Chelsea and appointed Rafa back in charge, he wants the job, he lives for the job, give him the ****en job.
    Brendan Rodgers.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Brendan Rodgers.

???????

See my post above, Rafa wants the job.

Of course he does.But Liverpool are not going to buy him out of his contract at Chelsea.If you understood how football worked you would understand why this is not realistic anymore.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Yurt wrote: »
    Of course he does.But Liverpool are not going to buy him out of his contract at Chelsea.If you understood how football worked you would understand why this is not realistic anymore.

It was realistic last summer and it will be probably be realistic next summer, he doesn't want to be at Chelsea, his heart is only in one place.

It was realistic last summer and it will be probably be realistic next summer, he doesn't want to be at Chelsea, his heart is only in one place.

He would be most Liverpool fan's first choice to get the job if Rodgers gets sacked including my own.I want to know what people who want BR sacked now want to do with regards to the next manager.

???????
    Brendan Rodgers is the Liverpool manager and deserves a proper chance to do a good job.

If he doesn't work out, then it's time to look at what manager would be appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Brendan Rodgers is the Liverpool manager and deserves a proper chance to do a good job.

If he doesn't work out, then it's time to look at what manager would be appropriate

He's already wasted money on Allen and Borini. People are deluded if they think Rodgers will do a good job. Did people not hear him banging on about the top two. :confused: Leaving Andy Carroll out on loan when no other strikers available. :confused: . Andy Carroll could have doing a fine job for Liverpool when fit. Borini and Allen are no-where near top four standard and never will be.

Need to sign 2 new strikers. Perhaps Demba Ba and Robert Lewandowski. Really need two new wingers as well. Nani maybe if they shift the dead wood but obviously mighn't be able to afford him along with Wallcott. Liverpool are awful turmoil and if nothing is done this season we will never be a big club again! Even with this signings still be struggling for a top four spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Jurgen Klinnsman
    areyawell wrote: »
    He's already wasted money on Allen and Borini. People are deluded if they think Rodgers will do a good job. Did people not hear him banging on about the top two. :confused: Leaving Andy Carroll out on loan when no other strikers available. :confused: . Andy Carroll could have doing a fine job for Liverpool when fit. Borini and Allen are no-where near top four standard and never will be.

Need to sign 2 new strikers. Perhaps Demba Ba and Robert Lewandowski. Really need two new wingers as well. Nani maybe if they shift the dead wood but obviously mighn't be able to afford him along with Wallcott. Liverpool are awful turmoil and if nothing is done this season we will never be a big club again! Even with this signings still be struggling for a top four spot

Are you mad? :confused::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Yesterday was fairly deplorable all things considered.Skrtel was caught looking at the back of players heels too often and Suarez was surprisingly poor for once.All that after a promising result last week in London.

I'd say Rodgers will be given until February/March,Then he'll be properly accessed by the board.Top 7,Possibly top 8 at a stretch and Europa league/FA cup competitiveness would be enough to convince them to keep him on at that time imo.But if they're still only treading water in the top ten by then and are out of the FA cup or have a bad 1st leg when the Europa comes back around,He'll be shown the door.
    It'd make sense if they're unhappy at that point for them to bring someone in for the last few months of this season.Get the Coach familiar with the surroundings before a new season.I think Rodgers will do enough to stay in charge until the Summer when it will then be pretty much the exact same dilemma there as last Summer,Uncertainty over Rodgers just like the Dalgleish situation last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    bradlente wrote: »
    I'd say Rodgers will be given until February/March,Then he'll be properly accessed by the board.
    Woah, that's a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Is that front or rear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

john47832 wrote: »
    Is that front or rear?

Both if John Henry's wife has anything to say about the matter....

:rolleyes:

My bad,It's getting late,Or early.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

LOL.

You guys crack me up sometimes.

Doesn't want to be at Chelsea? Yeah it must terrible for the staff having to drag him out to the dugout for each game.

"C'mon Rafa, you gotta manage the team".
    "No!"
    "Why not?"
    "I don't want to be here! I want to manage Liverpool"

Seriously, Liverpool fans have some sort of "destiny"-related **** when it comes to the manager. It was the same with Dalglish. The godlike King Kenny was going to win everything and ride a unicorn carrying the Premiership trophy.

Then it turns out he's an embarrassing football dinosaur who couldn't be booted out the door fast enough.

"Heart is only in one place". Brilliant.

Paul Lambert
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    Are you mad? :confused::eek:

I think his suggestion that Carroll could be doing a good job for Liverpool is more out there than possibly signing Nani.
    quarryman wrote: »
    LOL.

You guys.....quotes one poster, LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I think he is doing a fantastic job :-)

Andre Villas-Boas
    quarryman wrote: »
    LOL.

Doesn't want to be at Chelsea? Yeah it must terrible for the staff having to drag him out to the dugout for each game.

"C'mon Rafa, you gotta manage the team".
    "No!"
    "Why not?"
    "I don't want to be here! I want to manage Liverpool"

Seriously, Liverpool fans have some sort of "destiny"-related **** when it comes to the manager. It was the same with Dalglish. The godlike King Kenny was going to win everything and ride a unicorn carrying the Premiership trophy.

Then it turns out he's an embarrassing football dinosaur who couldn't be booted out the door fast enough.

"Heart is only in one place". Brilliant.

I was quiet hammered when I posted that but I would love him to return, why you are using my post to have a go at Kenny I don't know, for the record I think Kenny was really hard done by and deserved another season.

areyawell wrote: »

Jesus, alot of Liverpool fans do not deserve to support a successful team.

The man has had 4 months while undergoing a complete revamp of the playing style, change for the better.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Jesus, alot of Liverpool fans do not deserve to support a successful team.

The man has had 4 months while undergoing a complete revamp of the playing style, change for the better.

Is it a revamp of the playing system, is it that much of a change, the results have been really poor, I was 50/50 when he took over and I'm not seeing the improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Watched the first four episodes of Being Liverpool back to back and Rodgers comes across very poorly imo.

Says a lot but there's feck all substance to it, it's cringeworthy in fact for the most part.

Is it a revamp of the playing system, is it that much of a change, the results have been really poor, I was 50/50 when he took over and I'm not seeing the improvement.
    It is a complete revamp yeah. If Liverpool were to sack Rodgers this season, they'll almost certainly be in this same position next year with someone else.

There is a good way to run a club, and a bad way, and constantly changing managers because they don't hit the ground running, is not the good way.

Andre Villas-Boas
    It is a complete revamp yeah. If Liverpool were to sack Rodgers this season, they'll almost certainly be in this same position next year with someone else.

There is a good way to run a club, and a bad way, and constantly changing managers because they don't hit the ground running, is not the good way.

I agree with you if you have the right man in charge, I change from week to week about Rodgers, I really want it to work for him, I just don't know is he up to it. It's a huge gamble from liverpool to give him a few years to get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Watched the first four episodes of Being Liverpool back to back and Rodgers comes across very poorly imo.

Says a lot but there's feck all substance to it, it's cringeworthy in fact for the most part.

In what way?

djPSB wrote: »
    In what way?

Read the second sentence...

Paul Lambert

It's comedy gold, if even just for the scene where he speaks in a fake accent and broken english to Assiadi.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's comedy gold, if even just for the scene where he speaks in a fake accent and broken english to Assiadi.

The Joe Allen squad number thing was the worst for me.

And then there's the hard on for Shelvey, the insistence on touching every young player's face/head, and the self portrait.

So yeah, I'm not a fan having watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I agree with you if you have the right man in charge, I change from week to week about Rodgers, I really want it to work for him, I just don't know is he up to it. It's a huge gamble from liverpool to give him a few years to get it right.

A few years??? Niall, he'll be gone by Christmas. He hasn't a bull's notion what he's doing.

We just got hammered by Villa and the guy starts talking about "linear" progress. Rodgers is the worst manager in the premier league, and by quite some distance. I'd sooner have Barry Fry or Neil Warnock or even Roddy Collins.

Rodgers should be sacked right now with his entire backroom staff. Everything Rodgers has done at the club should be reversed. Joe Allen may have potential, but he has to go because of his ties with Rodgers...the same way Poulsen had to go when Roy got the boot. There's no time to waste, Rodgers must be removed immediately in as heavy-handed an approach as possible. The owners must come out and admit they were wrong as ask for a second chance from Liverpool fans and the footballing public in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Roberto Martinez
    I was quiet hammered when I posted that but I would love him to return, why you are using my post to have a go at Kenny I don't know, for the record I think Kenny was really hard done by and deserved another season.

Most of the guys who don't want to give Rodgers time are the same guys who would have given Dalglish more time.

In no way shape or form did Dalglish deserve more time to do that job. He had been out of the game for years, is relatively old in managerial terms - particularly when he was being tasked with a rebuilding mandate - signed off on some of the worst signings Liverpool have ever made and handled some very serious off-field situations very poorly.

Dalglish was absolutely not the right man for the job and the only thing that stopped him from being slaughtered was what he had done for the club in the past, not what he was doing at the time.

Andre Villas-Boas

and yet you still watched 4 episodes....

It is impossible to know if the right man is in charge just yet. Some managers are good at coming immediately and getting short-term success straight off, which is what teams fighting relegation need because of the urgency of their situation. Martin O'Neill and Harry Redknapp spring to mind.

Liverpool aren't in dire need of a short term fix. They're not going down this year and they aren't getting Champions League football. Pretty much the same as they were when they sacked their last 3 managers so its not as if the situation has taken a horrible turn for the worst.

From what I understood, Liverpool hired Rodgers to change things at the club. To start integrating the youths to the first team, to introduce a particular playing style to the club, and to build for the future.

It is absolute insanity in that situation to be talking about sacking a manager because results are a bit patchy. I can just about understand teams in the relegation zone making rash decisions because of the urgency of their situation, I can just about understand Chelsea doing it because Abramovich hasn't a clue about football, but actual football clubs like Liverpool should know better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement