Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Pep Guardiola
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Good choices. You have an eye for talent.

no need to be so smart...... must be so great being you!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    Yakult wrote: »
    Like Martinez a lot but would not like to see him at LFC, yet. He needs a few more years and a better club than Wigan. I think its between Rafa and Villas-Boas. Would be happy with either.
    I agree with you regarding Martinez (and by extension Rogers and Lambert); but I don't think AVB is the man either. You have to remember that the situation at Liverpool isn't all that disimilar to what AVB had at Chelsea. Mourinho would be the ideal man to get the best out of our players, but a revitalised Rafa would do a good job too.

Brendan Rogers
    Masked Man wrote: »
    There not the only reasons.

and I think he knows that
    Maybe, I could be wrong though.

We are still one of the biggest clubs in Europe, and I think any manager would be tempted to take the reins if the owners promised him their full backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I think AVB would be good for a club like Liverpool. He's extremely professional and was hard done by at Chelsea, proven in European football should Liverpool get there again. I don't think Guardiola would go to Liverpool, nor would Mourinho. Rafa would be a good man to get as he's another top manager. Martinez I think would be out of his depth at Liverpool as would Brendan Rogers, neither of which has had the experience of managing a big club as far as I'm aware. Cappello won't come back to England.

AVB for me and I think it'd be best for Liverpool. Would like to see him do a good job and stick two fingers up to Chelsea in the process. Getting rid of Kenny was a good decision, his behaviour over the course of the season was laughable and despite being idolised by pool fans he really wasn't the most intelligent man which appears to be important at top clubs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Don't think Martinez would be up to the job. Liverpool is a massive club and some players and managers get over-whelmed by it all.

It's a huge leap from Wigan to Liverpool in club size, let's be honest.

I think at this stage Benitez mightn't be the worst choice for Liverpool as he knows the club inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Marcello Bielsa
    Isn't Rafa snooping around the Valencia job again though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Marcello Bielsa
    Liverpool should try get Villas-Boas. Brining Rafa back would be crazy. But Benitez is a good manager and knows the club and a lot of the players.

Liverpool just don't have the pull for a Klopp or Mourinho atm.

I'd love to see Martinez. But that's only because I'm a rival fan. Martinez hasn't proved himself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    To the utd fans on about Martinez, lets see if ye want him when Fergie goes

No chance. He was sh*t for 7 months of the year, and couldn't beat other poor teams. He's no CL league or even European management experience, has never managed a big club, never bought a player worth more than a few million, never managed world class players and so on and so forth. He'd be learning it all on the job with a big club.

Roy Hodgson is a far better manager than Martinez and even he struggled at Liverpool.

Brendan Rogers
    jive wrote: »
    I think AVB would be good for a club like Liverpool. He's extremely professional and was hard done by at Chelsea, proven in European football should Liverpool get there again.
    I would really have worries about AVB being manager. I think his lack of experience was really found out at Chelsea this season when he lost the Chelsea dressing room. You can say the players didn't try, but his comments in the press certainly didn't help things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    No chance. He was sh*t for 7 months of the year, and couldn't beat other poor teams. He's no CL league or even European management experience, has never managed a big club, never bought a player worth more than a few million, never managed world class players and so on and so forth. He'd be learning it all on the job with a big club.

Roy Hodgson is a far better manager than Martinez and even he struggled at Liverpool.

Going on form, sign him up FSG.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Marcello Bielsa
    jive wrote: »
    I think AVB would be good for a club like Liverpool. He's extremely professional and was hard done by at Chelsea, proven in European football should Liverpool get there again.
    I would really have worries about AVB being manager. I think his lack of experience was really found out at Chelsea this season when he lost the Chelsea dressing room. You can say the players didn't try, but his comments in the press certainly didn't help things.

Scolari, Mourinho, Ancelotti all reportedly lost the dressing room at one stage or another. It's the players.

Chelsea is no club to judge a manager on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I disagree. He appears to be a very intelligent man but was basically a certain failure from the get-go due to certain individuals. He could do it at Porto and he will do it elsewhere, he has the brain and the work ethic (based on what I've read) to get a job done basically anywhere. He wasn't given the time to do what he wanted at Chelsea and as a result has been deemed a failure by the majority. I'm sure if he was given the opportunity and the time he'd do a good job at Pool. Chelsea paid 30 odd million for him, Liverpool won't have to and I'd imagine they want someone more public image friendly managing the club after the damage Kenny did in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

112 posts and no mention of David O'Leary. Proven record in Europe and currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Scolari, Mourinho, Ancelotti all reportedly lost the dressing room at one stage or another. It's the players.

Chelsea is no club to judge a manager on.

AVB didn't handle it as well as he could have (understatement), he's smart enough to learn from it though.

and I'm going to need a source on Carlo losing the players cause I don't remember that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    Long shot but Joachim Low after the Euros maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Paul Lambert
    Mike Bassett so we can play 4-4-****ing 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Andre Villas-Boas
    chughes wrote: »
    112 posts and no mention of David O'Leary. Proven record in Europe and currently available.

When your last club is Al-Ahli, and you don't do well there leading to a sacking, You don't walk into the Liverpool job.

Rafa for me.

Brendan Rogers
    None of them lost it as badly as AVB did. When Ancelotti was sacked, his win % was in the 61.50%. AVB took over and only won 47.50% of games. When he was sacked, Di Matteo won 65% of his games.

The group of players hasn't changed too much, but there is a world of difference in the results. Ultimately, the manager has to take responsibility for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Jurgen Klinnsman
    I don't see why any fan would want Martinez. He brought a mid - level team to relegation battlers . Too many people are fooled by the end of season turnaround.

Seeing some of the names that are being thrown around ( Klopp, Mourinho) it proves that the fans have this mentality that we are one of the top team in the "best league in the world" we're not getting someone like Guardiola or Mourinho.

Personally my choice would be Manuel Pellegrini, but sine Malaga reached the Champions League it seems unlikely.

• Advertisement

Brendan Rogers
    AVB didn't handle it as well as he could have (understatement), he's smart enough to learn from it though.

and I'm going to need a source on Carlo losing the players cause I don't remember that at all.
    AVB can still be a good manager, the problem is that he doesn't have the experience at managing world class footballers. It can come in time, but I would rather not risk another lost season when the likes of Benitez could hit the ground running (and has proven so in the past).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    None of them lost it as badly as AVB did. When Ancelotti was sacked, his win % was in the 61.50%. AVB took over and only won 47.50% of games. When he was sacked, Di Matteo won 65% of his games.

The group of players hasn't changed too much, but there is a world of difference in the results. Ultimately, the manager has to take responsibility for this.

Obviously comparative samples there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just don't get it. You sack Kenny Dalglish and the favourite is Roberto Martinez????? You got to be kidding and absolute madness if it happens.

Brendan Rogers
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't get it. You sack Kenny Dalglish and the favourite is Roberto Martinez????? You got to be kidding and absolute madness if it happens.
    Roberto Martinez is more acceptable than AVB in my opinion. When his team looked dead and buried, he never lost his nerve. AVB on the otherhand cracked by all accounts under the pressure.

Roberto Martinez is more acceptable than AVB in my opinion. When his team looked dead and buried, he never lost his nerve. AVB on the otherhand cracked by all accounts under the pressure.

Define cracked please :)

Andre Villas-Boas

He literally cracked in two. Right from the top of his head to his barse.

Doctors were amazed he survived the ordeal as it's only the 4th case in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Pep Guardiola
    Whoever we get as a manager needs to have a very strong personality. He will have to overcome the press and fans asking constantly about KD. If the new season does not start with wins he will get a lot of stick. Kenny may end up in an ambassador role again and will cast a very long shadow over the career of any incoming manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

HazDanz wrote: »
    Isn't Rafa snooping around the Valencia job again though?

Pelligrino got this

Brendan Rogers
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/chelsea-owner-roman-abramovich-blames-his-players-for-dismissal-of-coach-andre-villas-boas/story-e6frf4a3-1226290179744
    When one of the players remarked that he looked "knackered" after they had lost 5-3 to Arsenal in October, he responded by revealing that he had slept at the training ground - even though his family lives moments away from Stamford Bridge in Chelsea Harbour.

He appeared so obsessed with pleasing Abramovich and carrying out his demands that he became a workaholic, spending 12-hour days at the training ground.

In the dressing-room, the players grew tired of his timekeeping, fed-up with his monitoring their arrival some days from the balcony of his first-floor office.

Some started a game among themselves, flying into the car park as the seconds counted down to the scheduled arrival time. They would jump out of their cars with moments to spare, winding up the manager by acknowledging him with a sarcastic wave.

That included the exile of Nicolas Anelka and Alex, two popular dressing-room characters. They were no longer welcome in the first-team building, could not use the first-team car park and Anelka was even excluded from the annual silver service Christmas dinner at the training ground.
    Yes, the players were at fault. But at the same time, AVB allowed the players to get to him.

I wonder will Luis Enrique at Roma serve as a warning over Martinez for FSG, young inexperienced manager and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Someone experience like capello who could do a job for 1 or 2 years and bring liverpool back into the champions league would be what the owners will be looking for. I just can't see what martinez or AVB could offer. Avb was a disaster at chelsea, strange tactics, poor communication and terrible defence. Would actually bring liverpool backwards. Had the fortune of an excellent team at porto and that has raised expectations of him to unreasonable levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can't see it being Mourinho or Guardiola. Both are too big for Liverpool. Even the most deluded Liverpool fans must realise that.

I think AVB would be a good choice. Maybe he'd get the time he needs to really develop a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Capello said he is interested in getting back into club football again, i think he would be a good call for liverpool, Martinez would be a disaster he would struggle at a club like liverpool, so called 'king' kenny had to go!!! he was out of touch with modern football.

Andre Villas-Boas

That looks like an article from NOTW or some rag written by an 8 year old.

Yeah that's not cracked. Its a pretty big character flaw and horrible man managment but as I said I think he's smart enough to learn from it.
    He appeared so obsessed with pleasing Abramovich and carrying out his demands that he became a workaholic, spending 12-hour days at the training ground.

meh there's worse things you can say about a manager than he's a workaholic. The pleasing RA thing is journo bs imo.
    But at the same time, AVB allowed the players to get to him.

He didn't. That's what got him fired.

That article even says:
    Battle lines had been drawn, with the players challenging every aspect of Villas-Boas's micro-management.

Way it seems to me is that he stood up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    I wonder will Luis Enrique at Roma serve as a warning over Martinez for FSG, young inexperienced manager and all that

What about that Guardiola to Barca appointment that I remeber failing badly as well... One time they couldn't even beat 10 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Has anyone taken a look at the jungle that is RAWK?

my god, its like a cult over there it really is.

G.K. wrote: »
    What about that Guardiola to Barca appointment that I remeber failing badly as well... One time they couldn't even beat 10 men.

There was even this one team which he could never beat :D

Brendan Rogers
    Yeah that's not cracked. Its a pretty big character flaw and horrible man managment but as I said I think he's smart enough to learn from it.
    You would hope so, but I would rather we didn't take the chance.

I remember watching one particular post-match interview with AVB when Lampard was subbed on and changed the game, scoring a vital goal. When asked in the interview about Lampard's contribution, he deliberately evaded it, instead blabbing about the team's performance. Any half way decent manager would have took the chance to congratulate Lampard and say whatever was necessary to boost his confidence and get him playing for him.

A top class manager needs the temperament to be successful. Fergie for example knows when to get the hairdryer out, when to indulge an egotistical primmadonna, and when to publicly support a player. The jury is out on AVB in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Paul Lambert
    Villas Boas, has his name written all over it! The right choice for us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Jayob10 wrote: »

They were well known for shutting down any good critical posts of Kenny, and the team in the general. Fairly pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

By Sunday, Potentially, the manager who has won this years FA cup and Champions League could be out of a job and available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Claudio Ranieri said he wants to manage a Premiership team a few weeks ago when Inter sacked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Claudio Ranieri said he wants to manage a Premiership team a few weeks ago when Inter sacked him.

I want to manage a Premiership team too, but ya know like....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Andre Villas-Boas
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    But they and more notably, ****wits in our fanbase will expect him to get CL football at the first time of asking.

I reckon we won't. And we'll have a "Are >insert name< and Liverpool done?" thread by October & then be having a repeat of this thread next summer.

Delightful.

Ah the Life of a Chelsea fan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andre Villas-Boas

For RAWK, read Red Issue, WACCOE, the Huddleboard, etc. Every team specific forum is the same and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Brendan Rogers
    Jog on, Tinkerman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Roberto Martinez
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rafa wants to come back.

Fans want him back.

I would say there is a significant amount of hope.

Sounds alot like the Dalglish scenario.
    It should be Head over heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Andre Villas-Boas
    If Rafa does get the Liverpool job again, and imo he is the outstanding candidate. Realistically Mourinho, Capello and Guardiola won't come here without at least £150m to spend, and the difference between Rafa and Lambert, Martinez and Rodgers is that he is a Champions League manager with experience of winning at the top level.

Would Rafa keep Clarke and Keen though, we know Pellegrino is gone to Valencia and whether he's on speaking terms with Ayesteran is yet to be seen. Valero would definitely come in as GK coach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Pep Guardiola

some of the most comical stuff i've seen in my life.

I reckon half of the folk on there weren't even born when Dalglish was last relevant.

They just want to join the competition to see who can deliver the most "man love". In their own heads, its making them more and more immersed in the club.

Really is something else.

Dead right its like a cult.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »

I meant more with the FSG connections at Roma

By your logic there are no wrong or right appointments as history can prove anything right or wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement