Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im sure fenway and co have grasped football and have a fair knowledge by now but wouldnt have the expertise to appoint a manager just yet and would know that themselves. The worst thing they could possibly do is ask former LFC players and pundits to help them appoint somebody as a bit of leeway to the match going fans. The obvious choice for a newbie to football would go for the most highprofile ex pros. Could you imagine if they employed the likes of Phil Thompson, Lawro or Alan Hansen as advisors :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fabio Capello
    Here's an odd one: If Bayern beat Chelsea, there's a good chance that Di Matteo gets the sack, right? So how would Liverpool fans feel about Di Matteo?

Also, please remove Mourinho and Pep from the poll; that's just embarrassing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    Im sure fenway and co have grasped football and have a fair knowledge by now but wouldnt have the expertise to appoint a manager just yet and would know that themselves. The worst thing they could possibly do is ask former LFC players and pundits to help them appoint somebody as a bit of leeway to the match going fans. The obvious choice for a newbie to football would go for the most highprofile ex pros. Could you imagine if they employed the likes of Phil Thompson, Lawro or Alan Hansen as advisors :pac:

Henry and Werner are nobody's fools.
    They have a definite strategy for Liverpool laid out.
    They will have the very best of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

There's a good chance RDM is free either way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Roberto Martinez
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    Has anyone taken a look at the jungle that is RAWK?

my god, its like a cult over there it really is.

Haven't checked but no doubt they are posting homoerotic poetry about Dalglish and Rafa whilst simultaneously trying to evoke the fervour and stoicism of Kipling's If. Mentals.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert
    Blatter wrote: »
    Long shot but Joachim Low after the Euros maybe?

I think he'll see Germany through to World Cup 2014. Like Klopp, he's got it good in his current role. True quality players galore at his disposal with a real chance of winning the Euros if not as well the World Cup. Was actually my first choice before Woy got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think AVB or Lambert for the job. Lambert has Norwich overachieving and thats what Liverpool need. They need to get back into Champions League. While AVB has a good eye for young talent and i think could build a good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Pep Guardiola
    Haven't checked but no doubt they are posting homoerotic poetry about Dalglish and Rafa whilst simultaneously trying to evoke the fervour and stoicism of Kipling's If. Mentals.

Theres definately a good comedy sketch to be made on it for sure :D

Its not even a football site anymore. I don't think you are even allowed to debate who the next manager should be, out of respect for the king :rolleyes:

The club needs to take less notice of what the hardcore support want, bring in a winner and sign decent players.

For some reason i'd love to see a Mourinho to Liverpool in the same way Clough went to Leeds.

A great manager joined took over a great team and didn't give a damn about the past or reputations. It didn't work because the players were insulted.

Mourinho would probably insult the club (by not acknowledging reputations or the past) and this is what we need really. The team we have are no Leeds from the 70s thats for sure.

Mourinho would be our Clough
    The LFC fans would be like the Leeds team

The Players would be open to being whipped into shape by Jose, its our fans that have the egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    Who gives a flying bollox what they are saying on RAWK, if you dont like it dont go to the ****en site, what do you expect to see on liverpool dedicated website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Pep Guardiola
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Who gives a flying bollox what they are saying on RAWK, if you dont like it dont go to the ****en site, what do you expect to see on liverpool dedicated website.

less propaganda

More reasonable debate.

for starters.

• Advertisement

Roberto Martinez

Calm down love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    less propaganda

More reasonable debate.

for starters.

It used to be a great site back 8 or 9 years ago but it good too big and its too hard to seperate the ****e from the good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Paul Lambert
    It used to be a great site back 8 or 9 years ago but it good too big and its too hard to seperate the ****e from the good stuff.

it has a great superthread on the youths/reserves with some great contributors. The rest of it is to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    Henry and Werner are nobody's fools.
    They have a definite strategy for Liverpool laid out.
    They will have the very best of advice.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    DiMatteo?!?!?!!

I think I might cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

the more posts a person has on RAWK the more deluded they are.

Its like they view themselves are representatives of the club and need to put on a brave front. Self importance in the extreme.

Too many sancatmonious idiots on it, falling over themselves to show how much Kenny means to them, tonight. They are all trying to outdo each other.

Here are some RAWK gems:

"Something's seriously wrong if anyone finds it in themselves to speculate about the next manager so soon after this. Christ" (from about an hour ago)

"Heart broken. I love Kenny Dalglish so much."

"Everytime he scored his eyes lit up and he raised his arms and celebrated the best way he can with the fans. Only 21 year old so i didn't see any of his first reign but ****ing hell i'm gutted he's gone. Long Live the king"

Thats only a taste, those are not even some of the worst.

Do people actually believe what they are saying? Are they trying to conform to the die hard fans or is it a sense of belonging or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

amiable wrote: »
    How do you know this?

because he's a successful business man who obviously isn't blindly making decisions.

Fogell : Seth, Seth, Seth. Listen up, ass-face: every day, hundreds of kids go into the liquor store with fake IDs, and every single one says they're 21. Pssh, how many 21 year olds do you think there are in this town? It's called ****ing strategy, all right?

Paul Lambert
    jive wrote: »
    because he's a successful business man who obviously isn't blindly making decisions.

Fogell : Seth, Seth, Seth. Listen up, ass-face: every day, hundreds of kids go into the liquor store with fake IDs, and every single one says they're 21. Pssh, how many 21 year olds do you think there are in this town? It's called ****ing strategy, all right?

What the fcuk are you blabbering on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Louis Van Gaal
    Whoever they pick I want someone who will play decent attacking flowing football, I want someone who when playing away to a mid or lower table team isn't afraid to play two strikers, someone for whom leading 2-0 after 30 mins sees it as a foundation for a 4-0 5-0 or 6-0 trashing, someone who can get Liverpool playing for 38 games the way they played the last 30 mins of the FA Cup final.

Rafa, great tactician he is against some greater teams was too cautious against some underdogs, his caution cost us the 08-09 league IMO, his caution was his undoing at Inter as well, so thanks for all the memories Rafa, but best of luck elsewhere. His man mangement of Alonso also left a lot to be desired and for me Alonso was the best midfielder in Liverpool since the 80's, better and more important to a team than Gerrard.

Martinez can play good football, but is he the man for us right now? I don't think so, he needs to mature as does AVB, best thing for him would be to leave England for a few years, he has talent, of that there is no doubt, but he is lacking in something.

As a follower of German football from my time living there I would like Juergen Klopp, but he is at his zenith in Dortmund and I think he feels he has something to prove in Europe. I like his style of play as well as that of Lucien Favre of Moenchengladbach, another fan of attacking football who got Gladbach to 4th, a place well above their potential.

I personally can't stand Mourinho, and anyway Madrid aren't going to let him go s ohe is out.

So of the names mentioned above I'd go with this as my favourites:
    1. Guardiola
    2. Klopp
    3. Bielsa
    4. Van Gaal
    5. Total Wild Card: Lucien Favre. (He will end out in England eventuallly I reckon).

Guardiola is, IMO tired of Spanish football and the relentlessness of the press there; believe it or not it's a lot worse than the UK, he might be willing to try a long term 3-4 year project like Liverpool.

Klopp i mentioned, but I don't see him coming which leaves the one I clicked in the poll: Marcelo Bielsa.

He is proven at the highest level and I like his personality along with the kind of football he plays.

Van Gaal got a rough time at Bayern and I would gladly accept him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Iain Dowie? Gary Megson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

bijapos wrote: »
    Whoever they pick I want someone who will play decent attacking flowing football, I want someone who when playing away to a mid or lower table team isn't afraid to play two strikers, someone for whom leading 2-0 after 30 mins sees it as a foundation for a 4-0 5-0 or 6-0 trashing, someone who can get Liverppol paying for 38 games the way they played the last 30 mins of the FA Cup final.

Rafa, great tactician he is against some greater teams was too cautious against some underdogs, his caution cost us the 08-09 league IMO, his caution was his undoing at Inter as well, so thanks for all the memories Rafa, but best of luck elsewhere. His man mangement of Alonso also left a lot to be desired and for me Alonso was the best midfielder in Liverpool since the 80's, better and more important to a team than Gerrard.

Martinez can play good football, but is he the man for us right now? I don't think so, he needs to mature as does AVB, best thing for him would be to leave England for a few years, he has talent, of that there is no doubt, but he is lacking in something.

As a follower of German football from my time living there I would like Juergen Klopp, but he is at his zenith in Dortmund and I think he feels he has something to prove in Europe. I like his style of play as well as that of Lucien Favre of Moenchengladbach, another fan of attacking football who got Gladbach to 4th, a place well above their potential.

I personally can't stand Mourinho, and anyway Madrid aren't going to let him go s ohe is out.

So of the names mentioned above I'd go with this as my favourites:
    1. Guardiola
    2. Klopp
    3. Bielsa
    4. Van Gaal
    5. Total Wild Card: Lucien Favre. (He will end out in England eventuallly I reckon).

Guardiola is, IMO tired of Spanish football and the relentlessness of the press there; believe it or not it's a lot worse than the UK, he might be willing to try a long term 3-4 year project like Liverpool.

Klopp i mentioned, but I don't see him coming which leaves the one I clicked in the poll: Marcelo Bielsa.

He is proven at the highest level and I like his personality along with the kind of football he plays.

Van Gaal got a rough time at Bayern and I would gladly accept him too.

Guardiola will be taking an indefinite break i'd imagine. Don't think Borrell would be too happy to see him either, didn't Borrell leave Barca over being overlooked for the first team job?

Bielsa doesn't speak any English

Rodolfo Borrell could be a dark horse for the job you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

They need an overhaul from the underage levels up. This is why I would pick someone who has an ideology which can stand the test of time.
    Why are they no longer producing the likes of Fowler, Owen, Carragher and Gerrard?
    Recent crop: Shelvey, Spearing, Flanagan and Kelly(who is decent) are not of that calibre.
    Since he whored himself around the likes of football focus in an attempt to land the Chelsea job, I'd say his chances are greatly diminished.

It's odd that you dismiss the idea of Liverpool fans wanting Rafa back when he had begun to do exactly what you then go on to suggest is required. Have a read into what he did with the academy once he was allowed. It's a major reason a lot of LFC fans want him back.

Shelvey was bought recently, by the way. Not developed. Flanagan, Robinson etc. are teenage full-backs. They're yet to prove themselves really, but for their age they do look the part. Then you've got Sterling who's younger still and has a few appearances under his belt already.

Roberto Martinez
    Sterling was bought, not developed. he has nothing got to do with the Liverpool academy. It'd be like United claiming they developed Pique.

Paul Lambert
    Sterling was bought, not developed. he has nothing got to do with the Liverpool academy. It'd be like United claiming they developed Pique.

Yes because he was fully developed when Liverpool bought him as a 15 year old

Paul Lambert

Yeah but he was bought at 15, and has done a HELL of a lot of developing at Liverpool.

Andre Villas-Boas
    How do you know this?

They control of one major league baseball's largest franchises.
    And they have done an outstanding job with the Red Sox in the last 10 years.
    Appointing Kenny made sense.
    Sacking him made sense.
    I don't believe that they will be guided by Hansen and Lawrenson.
    Like any top executives they will have the very best of advice in making the next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Louis Van Gaal
    Rene Girard?

Paul Lambert
    They control of one major league baseball's largest franchises.
    And they have done an outstanding job with the Red Sox in the last 10 years.
    Appointing Kenny made sense.
    Sacking him made sense.
    I don't believe that they will be guided by Hansen and Lawrenson.
    Like any top executives they will have the very best of advice in making the next appointment.

That doesn't answer the question.

No idea why you brought Hansen and Lawrenson in to it.

You are assuming they have the things you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Roberto Martinez
    Sorry lads, but I'm not having this Sterling developed at Liverpool stuff. Paid a starter fee of £600,000 for a 15 year old. He was clearly one of the best talents in England in his age group. They may help him to turn into a world class player but it will be his first team experience that does this, not the two or three years he spends with Liverpool youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    In most acadamies I'd agree, but not everyone has Seguera and Borrell. (Or however you spell their names)

Andre Villas-Boas
    That doesn't answer the question.

No idea why you brought Hansen and Lawrenson in to it.

You are assuming they have the things you mentioned.

Hansen and Lawrenson were mentioned earlier in connection with this.

Assuming I am - yes - I don't know these guys personally.

How do you think they will appoint the next man?

Paul Lambert
    Hansen and Lawrenson were mentioned earlier in connection with this.

Assuming I am - yes - I don't know these guys personally.

How do you think they will appoint the next man?

I genuinely don't know

Also I see you suggested David Moyes

Paul Lambert
    Sorry lads, but I'm not having this Sterling developed at Liverpool stuff. Paid a starter fee of £600,000 for a 15 year old. He was clearly one of the best talents in England in his age group. They may help him to turn into a world class player but it will be his first team experience that does this, not the two or three years he spends with Liverpool youths.

So was Raheem Sterling fully developed when he arrived at Liverpool?

Roberto Martinez
    Nope. Will he be fully developed by the time be reaches the first team? Nope. Basically, it boils down to how much stock you put in the two years he is with the youth team relative to the 5 years or whatever he spent at Crystal Palace, his natural talent - they paid at minimum £600,00 for a 15 year old - and the however many years he plays for the seniors. They may add to his game but he was already a great talent well before he hit Liverpool. I'm a United fan and there is no way I'm claiming Pique and Rossi as United youth products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Andre Villas-Boas
    bijapos wrote: »
    Whoever they pick I want someone who will play decent attacking flowing football, I want someone who when playing away to a mid or lower table team isn't afraid to play two strikers, someone for whom leading 2-0 after 30 mins sees it as a foundation for a 4-0 5-0 or 6-0 trashing, someone who can get Liverpool playing for 38 games the way they played the last 30 mins of the FA Cup final.

Rafa's undoing at Inter was a string of injuries to key players, and due to the World Club Cup they were in 7th but with a few games in hands.
    In 08-09 we lost two games, hammered United, Madrid and Villa, what cost us the league is United were simply better than us and Torres missed half the season.
    Alonso had a poor season and a bit for us from 07 until 08 and as we couldn't buy cover we had to sell him to replace him, we couldn't sell him for a decent price and Alonso used this as a motivation to reach his best form over the next season.

AVB done well with an excellent Porto team but is one good season at Porto enough? his win percentage with Chelsea is the same as Dalglish had here over the last 17 months, if AVB wasn't 34 I don't think he'd be as highly rated.

Martinez has done a good job keeping Wigan in the PL the last few years, but he's not used to the expectation of winning week in week out and this is crucial. What I look at is where Wigan where until March, they were dead and buried then won fixtures that realistically they shouldn't have won so a two month run of excellent results look like netting him one of the top jobs in club football despite threading water for the previous two years.

Andre Villas-Boas
    I genuinely don't know

I imagine they will use people who have managed successfully in Europe and England to advise them.

The new man will be set out what he needs and he hopes to achieve and when.

David Moyes - tongue in cheek - I did place a question mark after.

What are you going to do next - burn my house down!

Paul Lambert
    I imagine they will use people who have managed successfully in Europe and England to advise them.

You assume that's what they will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The two or three years he spends at Liverpool youths will get him into the first team though. Those 3-4 years with far better coaches will make a huge difference to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Andre Villas-Boas
    Nope. Will he be fully developed by the time be reaches the first team? Nope. Basically, it boils down to how much stock you put in the two years he is with the youth team relative to the 5 years or whatever he spent at Crystal Palace, his natural talent - they paid at minimum £600,00 for a 15 year old - and the however many years he plays for the seniors. They may add to his game but he was already a great talent well before he hit Liverpool. I'm a United fan and there is no way I'm claiming Pique and Rossi as United youth products.

he was never at palace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd love Roy Keane to get it.

It would be a good challenge for the man to manage a mid table club before he inevitably moves on to one of the big boys.

Paul Lambert

David Moyes - tongue in cheek - I did place a question mark after.

What are you going to do next - burn my house down!

Why would I burn your house down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

enda1 wrote: »

It would be a good challenge for the man to manage a mid table club before he inevitably moves on to one of the big boys.

He wouldn't even be allowed manage a mid-table championship side at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Andre Villas-Boas
    Mick McCarthy is free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

He wouldn't even be allowed manage a mid-table championship side at this stage.

*i get jokes*

Andre Villas-Boas
    Why would I burn your house down?

You're paying close attention to my posts.
    I also suggested Brendan Rogers as a possibility.
    The owners gave every support to Kenny.
    He fcuked up buying donkies for a lot of cash.
    He should have resigned on Sunday.
    I think you are angling towards blaming the owners for this season's debacle.

Roberto Martinez
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    he was never at palace

Apologies, QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Pep Guardiola
    Augmerson wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy is free!
    hes free for a good reason

Andre Villas-Boas
    enda1 wrote: »

Wouldn't work.
    Wouldn't want someone who's never played in a CL final managing the UK's most successful European club.

Paul Lambert
    naughto wrote: »
    hes free for a good reason

Because Steve Morgan is an idiot

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement