Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Andre Villas-Boas
    naughto wrote: »
    hes free for a good reason

Because God meant this to happen man. Mick McCarthy would be the ****ing business at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Louis Van Gaal
    I don't think there is an interesting option in England. Marcelo bielsa for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Louis Van Gaal
    Wouldn't work.
    Wouldn't want someone who's never played in a CL final managing the UK's most successful European club.

So who did Benitez play for in a CL/European Cup final ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    bijapos wrote: »
    So who did Benitez play for in a CL/European Cup final ?

He had coached successfully at Valencia.
    I should have said coached or played in a European final.
    I was responding to a rogue Manc having a pot at LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fabio Capello
    Bundesliga is the third best league in the world and some newspapers actually believe that Jurgen Klopp "is in the running" for this job, or would even be interested in it?! Sheer ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Marcello Bielsa
    Steve Kean

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    You're paying close attention to my posts.
    I also suggested Brendan Rogers as a possibility.
    The owners gave every support to Kenny.
    He fcuked up buying donkies for a lot of cash.
    He should have resigned on Sunday.
    I think you are angling towards blaming the owners for this season's debacle.

I'm not paying any close attention to your posts.
    I replied to one and you didn't answer my initial question.
    You assume a lot like you assume I blame the owners.( I don't)

I'll just put a question mark at the end of all my posts and that will cover me.

Paul Lambert
    Steve Kean

Has this become a game where people just spout out random names and try to look clever?

It's not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert
    G.K. wrote: »
    The only managers pool have a realistic chance of getting that I would want if I were in charge would be these 3:

Rafa
    AVB
    Lambert

Martinez and Rodgers are more 'flavour of the month' although i dislike the term, Klopp, Biesla, Guardiola are heads in the sky and MON? You've got to be kidding.

I can never understand how Martinez can be a flavour of the month 3 seasons in a row, way ahead of Lambert and Rodgers IMO, both of who managed wonders this season, Martinez has consistently done it yet is somehow flavour of the month come May! He's had Wigan seeing of teams with bigger profiles, transfer budgets and wage bills.

AVB for me as I think he's the only one who will get time to ring in changes. Not as many egos in the dressing room to satisfy now Gerrard and Carra are past their peak.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Marcello Bielsa
    amiable wrote: »
    Has this become a game where people just spout out random names and try to look clever?

It's not working

Its called having a sense of humour.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Andre Villas-Boas

Not when it's been posted several other times that weren't funny then either it isn't. Try your material out somewhere else would be my recommendation. I hear there are openings on the Arsenal superthread, or perhaps try the Chelsea one? The Steve Kean line would crack them up there if you post it on Sunday if they lose the CL final. Try it out! Oh the chuckles that would be had.

Andre Villas-Boas
    I'm not paying any close attention to your posts.
    I replied to one and you didn't answer my initial question.
    You assume a lot like you assume I blame the owners.( I don't)

I'll just put a question mark at the end of all my posts and that will cover me.

Do you have an opinion at all?
    Or are you on here just to rant?

Paul Lambert
    You think?

Paul Lambert
    Do you have an opinion at all?
    Or are you on here just to rant?

Plenty of opinions me but I do like to call up posters like yourself who talk out their arse.
    If you took the time to read through threads I've given countless opinions on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Marcello Bielsa
    Given this a bit of a bash. Insomnia.

I've gone,
    When did I arrive?
    Cos all they've left me with is me bloody P45

No more King Kenny
    No tracksuit role
    But at least I'll be the richest man down the dole

And for me who'll they replace?
    A lad with a bit of grace,
    But will he ever make the face?

So I say..

I think I better leave right now
    Before we fall any deeper
    Our players are getting weaker and weaker
    Somebody's gotta tell me how
    That Jay Spearings a midfielder

They say don't worry
    Sure we'll be grand
    Sure we've got Pepe, and Carra in the stand
    I told the gaffers
    You're having a laugh
    If you think that tools still a decent centre half
    Because he's just slow to learn
    No more pace to burn,
    I never know where to turn

So I say..

Leave all the Yanks and the strops
    Before it dawns on the Kops
    Can't you just see it now
    Here come Martinez for seasons of flops

All credit to the time it's flown
    Remember how I beat Brugge on me own
    The greatest midfielder of his era
    Are you listening Jean Tigana
    But I'll keep going, you'll see
    Even with me dodgy spending spree
    Oh how the mighty have fallen, it's pathetic
    I might end up swapping for Wigan Athletic

(to the lyrics of Leave Right Now)

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Plenty of opinions me but I do like to call up posters like yourself who talk out their arse.
    If you took the time to read through threads I've given countless opinions on things.

If Kenny really gave a hoot about the club he'd waive all rights to this pay off.
    He did the same to Celtic a few years back as well.
    He'll probably sit indignant in the stands again when the new man loses for the first time.

Marcello Bielsa
    5starpool wrote: »
    Not when it's been posted several other times that weren't funny then either it isn't. Try your material out somewhere else would be my recommendation. I hear there are openings on the Arsenal superthread, or perhaps try the Chelsea one? The Steve Kean line would crack them up there if you post it on Sunday if they lose the CL final. Try it out! Oh the chuckles that would be had.
    You think?

The intellectual high ground on the internet? You must be new here.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings, now that I know your so sensitive I'll refrain from the tounge in cheek posts anymore.

I'd like to see Robert Martinez be given a chance at a big club to see if he could impliment his 3-4-3 system elsewhere but not Liverpool, just in case it works because Wigan played some lovely fotball in the last eight games. :D

Sven or Rafa are two good options, they seem to know how to get a team playing a pretty reliable system.

Paul Lambert
    The intellectual high ground on the internet? You must be new here.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings, now that I know your so sensitive I'll refrain from the tounge in cheek posts anymore.

I'd like to see Robert Martinez be given a chance at a big club to see if he could impliment his 3-4-3 system elsewhere but not Liverpool, just in case it works because Wigan played some lovely fotball in the last eight games. :D

Sven or Rafa are two good options, they seem to know how to get a team playing a pretty reliable system.

would you ever go away and have a good sh1t for yourself suggesting Sven

Paul Lambert
    If Kenny really gave a hoot about the club he'd waive all rights to this pay off.
    He did the same to Celtic a few years back as well.
    He'll probably sit indignant in the stands again when the new man loses for the first time.

Person posting on boards accusing Kenny of not giving a hoot about Liverpool.
    You sir are talking absolute Bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fabio Capello
    Am I alone in thinking that Bielsa at club level is completely overrated? He plays attacking football and knocked Manchester United out of a competition they were never wanted to compete in, whoopty bloody doo.

It seems as though there was a narrative in the English press that would eventually lead to Bilbao winning the tournament but they didn't and they finished midtable in the league - 45 per cent win record with Bielsa as manager.

Atletico won and in Diego Simeone they completed turned their season around, challenged for the last CL spot and have silverware and a 60 per cent win record from 30 games.

Yet people are considering Bielsa as a Liverpool hire as "pie-in-the-sky" thinking alongside the likes of Kloop and Pep?! I just don't get it.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Person posting on boards accusing Kenny of not giving a hoot about Liverpool.
    You sir are talking absolute Bollocks

Waive his pay off.
    Took fat pay off at Newcastle and Celtic after fcuking up there as well.
    Had he had any self respect he would have fallen on his sword and the 50th defeat of the season at Swansea.

Paul Lambert
    Waive his pay off.
    Took fat pay off at Newcastle and Celtic after fcuking up there as well.
    Had he had any self respect he would have fallen on his sword and the 50th defeat of the season at Swansea.

See post #220

Andre Villas-Boas
    See post #220

See post 222.

Marcello Bielsa
    would you ever go away and have a good sh1t for yourself suggesting Sven

God you are touchy. Eriksson won 17 major trophies as a manager and has EPL experience, he was deemed good enough to manage the national team and a host of Italian clubs, yet you take it as an insult.

Youv'e had Hodgson, Houllier and Rafa recently. Experienced managers but would not exacty be described as the most sought after in world football. Sven is probaly a bigger name than those three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

But it's at the expense of Liverpool so cop on!

Christ....

Paul Lambert
    God you are touchy. Eriksson won 17 major trophies as a manager and has EPL experience, he was deemed good enough to manage the national team and a host of Italian clubs, yet you take it as an insult.

Youv'e had Hodgson, Houllier and Rafa recently. Experienced managers but would not exacty be described as the most sought after in world football. Sven is probaly a bigger name than those three.

EPL experience that he got sacked from
    Championship experience that he got sacked from.
    International manager experience that he got sacked from(more than once)
    Host of Italian clubs that don't seem to in a queue to hire him.

Houllier is retired on health grounds after managing Lyon to league success.
    Rafa has turned down several offers to return to manager since Inter.

I have no idea why i'm even engaging in such debate as to why Sven would not be a good manager for Liverpool

Marcello Bielsa
    J. Marston wrote: »
    But it's at the expense of Liverpool so cop on!

Christ....

No. Its at the expense of Kean, he's done such a poor job at Blackburn its sarcastic to put him forward for any job.

How about Terry Connor instead then? :D

Kidding............just kidding.

Sven and Rafa as I said earlier. How do Liverpool fans feel about Rafa returning? I know his sqaud rotation and constant substituting of Torres annoyed many but would he be welcome back?

Paul Lambert
    No. Its at the expense of Kean, he's done such a poor job at Blackburn its sarcastic to put him forward for any job.

Sven and Rafa as I said earlier. How do Liverpool fans feel about Rafa returning? I know his sqaud rotation and constant substituting of Torres annoyed many but would he be welcome back?

You are clearly out of your depth

Marcello Bielsa

I seem to remember pundits, Liverpool fans I know and the media making a big deal of his cotton woll treatment of his star player at one point so its a valid point. Hell, Gerard even looked bemused as Torres being subbed in one match, away to Fulham iirc.

Paul Lambert
    I seem to remember pundits, Liverpool fans I know and the media making a big deal of his cotton woll treatment of his star player at one point so its a valid point. Hell, Gerard even looked bemused as Torres being subbed in one match, away to Fulham iirc.

Away to Birmingham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Roberto Martinez
    Realistically its Martinez, Rodgers or AVB. Personally i would go for AVB, he was always up against it with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Ian Holloway!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

roy evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Helix wrote: »
    roy evans

opinions on new villa manager
    >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Ronnie Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Pep Guardiola
    Voted Jose Mourinho.
    But been realistic, Lambert or dare I say Rafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Pep Guardiola
    RAFA is not coming back, not in a million years

FSG are not going to appoint a 'liverpool legend' for a 'second term' as manager of Liverpool. They got burnt once and it wont happen again

Rafa also has a bad relationship with our previous American owners, so theres another nail in teh coffin on that one

LFC DO NOT want martinez. wigan are poison and the step up in expectations would need a serious bedding in time for him. FSG dont want that

FSG are going to go with somebody with a track record of winning titles - Pep, Capello, AVB, Deschamps ect etc

I personally feel Klopp is the man for the job. What he has built in Dortmund and how he has built it is amazing. He may not want to leave it for mid table premier league but hes losing his best players each season so he may get the hump and we get our man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Michael Vaughan on Twitter: "Morning Gary.. When was this picture taken?? When's the press conference?"

G Nev: "Shortly before my funeral"

:pac:

AtEymXqCIAIlnx9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I said it yesterday but I would be worried if Martinez got the Liverpool job. No idea why he's so underrated by people in here, a terrific manager with great track record and philosophy. Good eye for talent too, that Wigan team is still very young. They got a lot of bad luck this season and could have been challenging for a top half finish if things had gone their way a few more times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

All hail King of the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Liam O wrote: »
    I said it yesterday but I would be worried if Martinez got the Liverpool job. No idea why he's so underrated by people in here, a terrific manager with great track record and philosophy. Good eye for talent too, that Wigan team is still very young. They got a lot of bad luck this season and could have been challenging for a top half finish if things had gone their way a few more times.

Crazy talk, what has he achieved that Steve Bruce or Paul Jewell have not at that club?. Nothing. He isnt in the running anyway no matter what sh1te gets said on twitter. Nice guy though, like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Paul Lambert
    daithijjj wrote: »
    Liam O wrote: »

Crazy talk, what has he achieved that Steve Bruce or Paul Jewell have not at that club?. Nothing. He isnt in the running anyway no matter what sh1te gets said on twitter. Nice guy though, like him.
    They had money to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

They had money to spend

Id like to see some numbers. I remember Bruce losing Palacios and still finishing mid table.

How many teams have lost 9-0 and 8-0 in the last 20 years?, given their away supporters refunds for a shocking performance?. Sorry, this mug aint buying the Martinez love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andre Villas-Boas
    Martinez is not a proven winner, which is what Liverpool need. He's a younger Roy Hodgson and battling relegation is not the background from which you should become the manager at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

wont be Rafa, they saw what happened when they went back once. Wouldn't be surprised to see a director of football and a coach approach rather than a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pep Guardiola
    Who I would like to see come in is Jose or Pep, but that aint going to happen.

I would like to see Rafa get another crack at it. Don't think Martinez is qualified enough, suprised so many people want him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Andre Villas-Boas
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18097439

BBC Sport are usually very reliable and there's a few hints here. hey don't usually put stuff up unless they've got a pretty decent idea. Key pars bolded.
    Liverpool's owners are keen for the club's new manager to be in place for at least four to five years, but there is no front-runner at this stage.
    Tom Werner and John W Henry have begun the search for the Reds' fourth boss in two years after sacking Kenny Dalglish and have a number of names in mind.
    The new boss is likely to get a transfer budget of more than £30m.
    Intermediaries acting for the club have spoken with Andre Villas-Boas, but he is unlikely to get the job.

The Portuguese was sacked by Chelsea in March.
    Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is also not thought to be in the running. The Americans are known to have been impressed by Wigan manager Roberto Martinez but no talks have taken place.
    Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has often spoken of his admiration for the Anfield club and it is thought he would be willing to grant the Spaniard permission to discuss the post with Henry and Werner.
    Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are keen to appoint a replacement at the earliest possible opportunity.
    Dalglish left for Spain on a planned family holiday on Wednesday night. His wife Marina wrote on Twitter: "Really sad day for us a family but we all remain LFC fans. All so proud of Kenny."
    On Wednesday, sources close to Henry were keen to stress the American owners do have a clear vision for the future of the club and are likely to appoint three senior directors in the coming weeks.
    Meetings have been held with a number of potential directors of football, including Johan Cruyff and former Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain, while they have also spoken to at least one candidate to fill the chief executive's role.
    Henry and Werner are also thought to be close to appointing a new director of communications to replace Ian Cotton.
    While the departure of Dalglish has left something of a power vacuum at Anfield, FSG felt they had to act given Liverpool's failure to challenge for a Champions League qualifying place, a clear target at the start of the season.
    Liverpool's most recent annual report revealed that the club's prolonged absence from the competition had cost the club a minimum of £30m in revenue each year.
    While the owners were encouraged by the Carling Cup victory in February, the first silverware since 2006, it could not cover up the failings of a poor Premier League campaign.
    Steve Clarke, Dalglish's assistant, has stepped down out of loyalty to the 61-year-old Scot.

Looking like Rafa is unlikely :(

Still a transfer budget of £30m is no bad, shows they are willing to keep pace with their investments last year.

More than anything I hope we hire a director of football/manager who can use these funds wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    Following his release from Man U, I present ....

Michael Owen - Player/Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jurgen Klinnsman
    _41391534_ireland.jpg

A club legend!

#StauntonForLFC

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    _41391534_ireland.jpg

A club legend!

#StauntonForLFC

Staunton as Director of Football with Owen as player manager :D Then you get international experience with youth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement