Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andre Villas-Boas
    Only thing Michael Owen is ever going to be interested in managing is his stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    The other thing about Owen is that he probably has more cash in the bank than Liverpool, cute fecker has had a hell of a lucrative career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paul Lambert
    sundula wrote: »
    The other thing about Owen is that he probably has more cash in the bank than Liverpool, cute fecker has had a hell of a lucrative career.

I'd doubt that with the amount of money he has invested in his stable and horses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

The most popular candidate on this site is Rafa Benitez? Are they Liverpool fans voting for Benitez, or fans of rival clubs who want to see Liverpool continue to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Marcello Bielsa
    The most popular candidate on this site is Rafa Benitez? Are they Liverpool fans voting for Benitez, or fans of rival clubs who want to see Liverpool continue to fail?

A little from column A and little from column B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Rafael Benitez
    Martinez is not a proven winner, which is what Liverpool need. He's a younger Roy Hodgson and battling relegation is not the background from which you should become the manager at Anfield.
    Except Hodgson had won 11 leagues/cups before he joined Liverpool, where as Martinez can only claim a League One victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andre Villas-Boas
    Owen_S wrote: »
    Except Hodgson had won 11 leagues/cups before he joined Liverpool, where as Martinez can only claim a League One victory.

Trophies from the 70s and 80s won in second rate Scandinavian leagues don't really cut the mustard though. Since then his career had been strictly mediocre, marked by failure anytime he was asked to manage any club with higher aspirations than just survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Andre Villas-Boas
    Owen_S wrote: »
    if you're claiming Hodgson had relevent previous success then Pat Fenlon has won 8 leagues/cups from 2003 onwards, should we be looking at him now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Anyone posting the odds as offered by Paddy Power has little grip on reality.
    At least post the odds offered on betfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Paul Lambert
    Some of the names on that list are just pie in the sky.
    Liverpool don't have the profile to attract some of the "big" name managers on that list and it mightn't be any harm either.

Certain Liverpool fans are still living in the past if they think that guys like Mourinho and Pep would manage Liverpool in its current state. For gods sake ye just about managed to attract Roy Hodgson into the job a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    kippy wrote: »
    Liverpool don't have the profile to attract some of the "big" name managers on that list and it mightn't be any harm either.

Certain Liverpool fans are still living in the past if they think that guys like Mourinho and Pep would manage Liverpool in its current state. For gods sake ye just about managed to attract Roy Hodgson into the job a few years ago.

Most of us understand this.
    Which is what makes Rafa such a compelling name, he is way above our station, we should be begging him to take us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    kippy wrote: »

Sorry now buts that's bollox, liverpool are one of the most high profiles names in football, Pep is not an option for anyone and Jose probably would not but might suit his ego, below these two anyone is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sorry now buts that's bollox, liverpool are one of the most high profiles names in football, Pep is not an option for anyone and Jose probably would not but might suit his ego, below these two anyone is possible.

But thats the problem, all they have on their side at the moment is their history. They finished 8th in the premiership? Why would a top manager take that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Andre Villas-Boas
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    But thats the problem, all they have on their side at the moment is their history. They finished 8th in the premiership? Why would a top manager take that?

Because a top manager wont only think about they're finish last season and nothing else. It's not the be all and end all.

Andre Villas-Boas

They are a huge club, with possibly a large transfer fund and a large wage base. They have underperformed last few years and the only way is up I hope, why wouldn't a top manager want the job.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Because a top manager wont only think about they're finish last season and nothing else. It's not the be all and end all.

Agreed, but it certainly has a bearing. Winning the carling cup helped I guess. If a top manager is promised funds then maybe they will be tempted. I'd like a top man at Liverpool, not the same without them competing for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Louis Van Gaal
    They are a huge club, with possibly a large transfer fund and a large wage base. They have underperformed last few years and the only way is up I hope, why wouldn't a top manager want the job.
    Because they have bad players.

Have they? As a club with a big reputation, yes that is correct. But look at the players, there just isn't enough quality in the squad. Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Skrtel and Reina are top players. Outside of that its pretty average. (apologies if i have forgotten someone)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Andre Villas-Boas
    yomtea98 wrote: »
    Because they have bad players.

Certainly, certainly some bad players. But also a reasonable amount of good ones with some with big potential, so I don't think you're looking at a total rehaul but plenty of work all the same. It's not a no-hope scenario by any means.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Have they? As a club with a big reputation, yes that is correct. But look at the players, there just isn't enough quality in the squad. Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Skrtel and Reina are top players. Outside of that its pretty average. (apologies if i have forgotten someone)

You forgot Lucas. GlenJo is decent too. I'm class.

There is the bones of a decent team if the right manager comes in and is allowed to do his thing.

You forgot Lucas. GlenJo is decent too. I'm class.

There is the bones of a decent team if the right manager comes in and is allowed to do his thing.

Yeah my bad, Lucas seems to be proving his worth. Johnson is fine. And you seem to be coming into some form yourself, pity the season is over

I agree with the bolded part, i think avb would do well if given the chance.

Andre Villas-Boas

Yes they have underperformed, the back 4 is solid Johnson and enrique are solid full backs, Lucas was a huge loss last year, I don't believe downing is that a bad a footballer and will improve, they battered a lot of teams last year but could not finish teams off, a top manager might see this and think this team is not that far off top 4 or better.

Yes they have underperformed, the back 4 is solid Johnson and enrique are solid full backs, Lucas was a huge loss last year, I don't believe downing is that a bad a footballer and will improve, they battered a lot of teams last year but could not finish teams off, a top manager might see this and think this team is not that far off top 4 or better.

Agreed, knew I'd forget someone. As I said above, would be interested to see avb get it. Is he considered a top manager?

Andre Villas-Boas
    Agreed, knew I'd forget someone. As I said above, would be interested to see avb get it. Is he considered a top manager?

I would love to give him a chance, I think he was in an impossible position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Andre Villas-Boas
    In short no.

he had one season in professional management before his stint at Chelsea. His one year at Porto was excellent, he took them over on the back of them finishing 3rd but in the seven previous seasons they had won the league six times so they are an extremely dominant team in a second rate league.

His half season at Chelsea has a win % almost identical to Dalglish's in his 17 months at Liverpool, but Chelsea have a much stronger squad of players so he underperformed to a bigger degree than what Dalglish did.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paul Lambert
    AVB's agent confirms no contact from #LFC but that it would be an 'appealing position'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Andre Villas-Boas
    -Ade- wrote: »
    AVB's agent confirms no contact from #LFC but that it would be an 'appealing position'

Then let him apply, why do we need to call him?

It's Rafa for me - knows many of the players, knows the club and the league, and should be in a great frame of mind to do a job...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

-Ade- wrote: »

of course it would be an 'appealing position' ,any unemployed manager would like 5 million a year or whatever pool pay for a manager these days.

ABV was already an outstanding failure at Chelsea, I love the way two disaster failures are linked to this post.

Paul Lambert
    Waive his pay off.
    Took fat pay off at Newcastle and Celtic after fcuking up there as well.
    Had he had any self respect he would have fallen on his sword and the 50th defeat of the season at Swansea.

It looks like he did just that.

I never ever doubted Kenny's love of Liverpool and to be honest I don't know how any genuine fan of Liverpool Football club could and to do so is horrible in my eyes.
    The man may have failed last season but he has done enough over the years to deserve a lot more respect than the likes of yourself has shown him.

But sure carry on with your totally unfounded jibes about me apparently according to you working in Burger King serving fries.
    I don't do that for a living and so fcukin what if I did.
    What fcukin business is it of yours if that was my job?

of course it would be an 'appealing position' ,any unemployed manager would like 5 million a year or whatever pool pay for a manager these days.

ABV was already an outstanding failure at Chelsea, I love the way two disaster failures are linked to this post.

Outstanding failure my ****, he was barely given a chance! He was asked to change things, did that, and got sacked. Very rash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert

Villas-Boas failing was largely engineered by Chelsea players sadly. He wanted and needed backing but got sacked instead - Romans error was assuming that any new manager could propel an ageing squad to the top in a year and win the CL of course. Of course it'll be hugely ironic if De Matteo should do the latter by tickling the tummy of Drogba, Terry and Lampard. The club will still be waiting for regeneration in the league though. If the owner had been patient and allowed AVB another season to see if it was working (jettisoning the old guard on the way) then they could have been better off in the long run.

If Villas-Boas were hired by Liverpool it would be on the understanding that he would get the time needed to change things, implementing a 4-3-3 game (in conjunction with Segura and Borrell) and seeing off the likes of Carra and Gerrard.

Paul Lambert

AtCssQcCAAEb3Ar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It's Martinez

Paul Lambert
    Leiva wrote: »
    It's Martinez

He's only been given permission to interview for the position.
    They will talk to a few candidates and select from there IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    Some people really need to get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Martinez? Will he understand The Liverpool Way?

Andre Villas-Boas
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Martinez? Will he understand The Liverpool Way?

ha
    ha
    ha

groan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Marcello Bielsa
    Love Martinez, if he gets it, I hope he's not out of his depth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

mike65 wrote: »
    Villas-Boas failing was largely engineered by Chelsea players sadly. He wanted and needed backing but got sacked instead - Romans error was assuming that any new manager could propel an ageing squad to the top in a year and win the CL of course. Of course it'll be hugely ironic if De Matteo should do the latter by tickling the tummy of Drogba, Terry and Lampard. The club will still be waiting for regeneration in the league though. If the owner had been patient and allowed AVB another season to see if it was working (jettisoning the old guard on the way) then they could have been better off in the long run.

If Villas-Boas were hired by Liverpool it would be on the understanding that he would get the time needed to change things, implementing a 4-3-3 game (in conjunction with Segura and Borrell) and seeing off the likes of Carra and Gerrard.

That wasn't his brief.

And YESSSSSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Strange game is football.

For 30 weeks of the season Martinez and Wigan were being destroyed by the media etc, they had lost 8 games in a row at one stage, then they go on a run for the last 8 games and he's now being interviewed for the Liverpool job.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if he gets the job anyway. Will he keep using his 3-4-3 formation? How will he adapt to the pressure of managing a club that will be expecting to win double the amount of games he's become accustomed to winning at Wigan?

Personally I think the fans will turn on him pretty quickly and he'll be out of the job by this time next year.

Good luck to him if he gets it though, he seems a very decent bloke.

• Advertisement

Outstanding failure my ****, he was barely given a chance! He was asked to change things, did that, and got sacked. Very rash.

any manager getting over 5 million a year and to be superseded by his assistant manager in my books is a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Andre Villas-Boas
    Martinez seems a nice bloke however if he gets the job I have a feeling by this time next year I'll think differently :(

Worried.

well, if any past manager at pool had one thing in common is absolute muck pre/post match interviews.

I like a manager to come clean and admit if his team were $hiiiiiite and cut the bs.

martinez speaks the truth and is a very likable chap so he would be a breath of fresh air in that sense.

it would also be wise for pool to get a manager who can get by without having a blank cheque book throw at him after 2 days.

any manager getting over 5 million a year and to be superseded by his assistant manager in my books is a flop.

He was unfairly expected to turn the club around in 9 months. He started to make changes and was sacked. What he was paid is in no way relevant.

well you can't argue with that logic.

[QUOTE=Pudsy33;78736430]He was unfairly expected to turn the club around in 9 months. He started to make changes and was sacked. What he was paid is in no way relevant.[/QUOTE]

Source?

And turn it around from second in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thinking about it more it really is a massive risk for Liverpool. Steve Bruce even out-performed Martinez at Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Louis Van Gaal
    I think the title Liverpool manager will no longer apply. Instead we will have a director of football and head coach.

Masked Man wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Pudsy33;78736430]He was unfairly expected to turn the club around in 9 months. He started to make changes and was sacked. What he was paid is in no way relevant.

Source?

And turn it around from second in the league?[/Quote]

I hardly need a source, he was sacked? What did they expect? He was a new manager with a different philosophy. He had the team playing differently.The results weren't great, but neither are rdms.
    I dont care what anyone says, he was not given enough time. Thats the problem with football today. When owners dont have instant success, the manager becomes the scapegoat and is fired. Rinse and repeat. Chelsea re the worst example of this.

• Advertisement

I hardly need a source, he was sacked? What did they expect? He was a new manager with a different philosophy. He had the team playing differently.The results weren't great, but neither are rdms.
    I dont care what anyone says, he was not given enough time. Thats the problem with football today. When owners dont have instant success, the manager becomes the scapegoat and is fired. Rinse and repeat. Chelsea re the worst example of this.

ehm he wasn't expected to "turn it around" in 9 months. Common sense will tell you that.

Look at my posts itt I love AVB.

Maybe he was expected not to take us backwards and not to alienate so many players and that's why he was sacked?

And yes you need a source. Otherwise that's just an opinion and a bad one at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement