Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Rafael Benitez
    I think he'd be mad to take it.

No way would Liverpool give him the time for his style to take effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Andre Villas-Boas
    Martinez would be an appointment made in hope. What we need is someone universally respected advising on the manager vacancy, a director of football who has played and managed the club, someone the fans respect...hmm, who could that perso have been? Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Marcello Bielsa
    :(

Hmmmm I like Martinez & Rogers as men & managers.

However both are a MASSIVE gamble. A much bigger gamble than keeping Kenny for another year IMO. They'll not receive the same treatment as Hodgson as they're surely being approached for as much what they will become as what they are now. That was never the case with Hodgson, he basically just got a job he never should have gotten.

One thing that I find very worrying is that managers who are free & available (Rafa & AVB) don't appear to have been approached at all. Considering you'd presume free agents would be the first names on the list, I think that's a bit worrying as we seem to be taking as big a gamble as possible! Both AVB & Rafa are light years ahead of the current ability of the two approached this far, with plenty of time on their side to get even better.

If we're in a 'gambling' mood, I'd prefer to see Lambert get interviewed.

The call as to who will be the next DOF is equally as important IMO.

It's not panic stations yet, but the signs aren't good that we'll be appointing a proven top class manager, which is what the majority who were open to Kenny leaving expected. Serious questions to be asked of FSG if they cock this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I am pie wrote: »
    Martinez would be an appointment made in hope. What we need is someone universally respected advising on the manager vacancy, a director of football who has played and managed the club, someone the fans respect...hmm, who could that perso have been? Hmmm...

no you need a good DOF who will help make a good choice about who the next manager should be. His background should not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Masked Man wrote: »
    ehm he wasn't expected to "turn it around" in 9 months. Common sense will tell you that.

Look at my posts itt I love AVB.

Maybe he was expected not to take us backwards and not to alienate so many players and that's why he was sacked?

And yes you need a source. Otherwise that's just an opinion and a bad one at that.

I don't mean he was expected to change the team and continue winning in 9 months, but he certainly set about changing the way the team played. I dont think the results were bad enough to justify a sacking, he hadn't even had a season in charge. I believe he would have been a success given time, but as you say thats a matter of opinion. I don't think the constant sacking and hiring of managers is going to get Chelsea anywhere in the immediate future.

Anyway we are going way off topic. I think he is the right man for Liverpool, if given time and funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Anyway we are going way off topic. I think he is the right man for Liverpool, if given time and funds.

So do I! My blind faith in him is reaching RAWK like levels.

I'm just saying that he wasn't completely blameless in what happened, but it was a mistake to sack him.
    I don't think the constant sacking and hiring of managers is going to get Chelsea anywhere in the immediate future.

Got us to the cl final and fa cup winners :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Masked Man wrote: »

Got us to the cl final and fa cup winners :D

Very true, credit to both managers for that. I'll be cheering Chelsea on on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Paul Lambert
    Unless AVB (and whisper it Rafa) tell Fenway where to go I'd be disgusted to see Martinez get it. He shouldn't be anywhere near it, the fact he might be having an interview is almost too much to think about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Would be a good signing for Liverpool, remember he brought Swansea up a great deal playing great football. Look at the players at Wigan, they should by rights be relegated long ago but Martinez did a great job with them.

And I'm only after realizing he played 188 times for Wigan!

Also a nice fella seemingly and would do better in post match interviews for ye ;)

Andre Villas-Boas
    Martinez would be a good caretaker boss

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

martinez is good..needs to be given a chance. !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Samich wrote: »
    Would be a good signing for Liverpool, remember he brought Swansea up a great deal playing great football. Look at the players at Wigan, they should by rights be relegated long ago but Martinez did a great job with them.

And I'm only after realizing he played 188 times for Wigan!

Also a nice fella seemingly and would do better in post match interviews for ye ;)

certainly none of the LOLs we had with rafa and king kenny for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

certainly none of the LOLs we had with rafa and king kenny for sure.

And I'd be more weary of Martinez as manager of Liverpool than Boas or Benitez (from a Man Utd fan POV)

Diamé is a quality player, wouldn't be surprised to see him go to 'pool if Martinez got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Good ol' Dave Whelan. Can the man keep his mouth shut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Good ol' Dave Whelan. Can the man keep his mouth shut?

Why should he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

J. Marston wrote: »
    Why should he?

professional courtesy to both liverpool and martinez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    DONImanager.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    I hope it's not AVB or Martinez.
    Both likeable people that I wouldn't want to see inevitably f**ked over by impatient fans if things were not working out as well as expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Helix wrote: »
    professional courtesy to both liverpool and martinez?

Is Martinez out of contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Is Martinez out of contract?

nobody seems to know. it was thought he signed a new 3 year deal last summer, but a few places now reckon he didnt and is out of contract now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    It's funny because it sounds like Dave Whelan is trying to get rid of him rather than praying he can keep him the way he's going on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

mike65 wrote: »
    DONImanager.jpg

doni.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert
    Blatter wrote: »
    It's funny because it sounds like Dave Whelan is trying to get rid of him rather than praying he can keep him the way he's going on about it.

He was the same last Summer!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Helix wrote: »
    nobody seems to know. it was thought he signed a new 3 year deal last summer, but a few places now reckon he didnt and is out of contract now

Considering that Whelan was/is planning to discuss next season with Martinez, i doubt it. Still, where is the professional courtesy to Liverpool? I propose we boycott Wigan and all Wigan-related things from here on. The swine

Edit: type "Roberto Martinez contract" into google and the first hit from ESPN tells the story. 3 year contract signed in summer 2011. Where is the professional courtesy to Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jurgen Klinnsman
    Fabio Capello, AVB or Paul Lambert

3 manager I think could get the current squad of Liverpool players performing consistently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Martinez will probably get it but it should be Villas-Boas imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paul Lambert
    Considering that Whelan was/is planning to discuss next season with Martinez, i doubt it. Still, where is the professional courtesy to Liverpool? I propose we boycott Wigan and all Wigan-related things from here on. The swine

Edit: type "Roberto Martinez contract" into google and the first hit from ESPN tells the story. 3 year contract signed in summer 2011. Where is the professional courtesy to Liverpool?

What are you whittering on about now?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Since when has AVB been put on this pedestal?

- Managed some national team for a few months ranked 199 by FIFA
    - Half a season with some Portuguese mid table side
    - One season with Porto and won everything
    - 8 months with Chelsea and did crap

If Roy Hodgson couldnt get anywhere with Liverpool AVB certainly wont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Oranage2 wrote: »

- Managed some national team for a few months ranked 199 by FIFA
    - Half a season with some Portuguese mid table side
    - One season with Porto and won everything
    - 8 months with Chelsea and did crap

If Roy Hodgson couldnt get anywhere with Liverpool AVB certainly wont!

Because he's intelligent, works hard and has done well everywhere he has went with the exception of Chelsea where he wasn't given enough time and the players who were being phased out caused upset in the dressing room. His jobs before Chelsea are a fair reflection of him, Chelsea was just a blip in an otherwise successful career and it was essentially out of his control.

I'd rather AVB at my club than Martinez. At least AVB has experience in Europe and not just championship/relegation battling. And of the other realistic targets for a team like Liverpool I'd take Rafa above anyone else. I'm surprise Moyes' name hasn't cropped up, he'd be a good man for the job - imagine what he could do with the funds pool have. Obviously his ties to Everton are why he isn't a favoured candidate I guess. At worst, at least Martinez will be professional unlike Dalglish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dave Whelan has given Martinez permission to talk to Liverpool.

Who said Liverpool asked for it?

Whelan loves the sound of his own voice.

It looks to me like a reporter jumped at the chance to get a story, asked Whelan a question about Martinez and Liverpool and Whelan has just said "I won't stand in his way".

There is nothing about a Liverpool approach to the man, there is nothing about Martinez touting himself for the job, just the media whore Whelan shooting his mouth off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    A mid table portugese side? AFAIK he rescued them from relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Mentions of Pep and Capello are just soundbites to keep the fans happy, no chance of them even being approached IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Andre Villas-Boas
    Whelan does my head in, it's like talking up a player so you can sell him for more - he's under contract, so if a big club comes in, they have to pay for it.

I like Martinez, but as already said, he has no experience at the higher level. A number of their better performers were brought in prior to his arrival. And they don't play a particularly pretty brand of footie, compared to Swansea for example.

I'd much rather someone who has done it at the highest level, this isn't work experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Whelan does my head in, it's like talking up a player so you can sell him for more - he's under contract, so if a big club comes in, they have to pay for it.

I like Martinez, but as already said, he has no experience at the higher level. A number of their better performers were brought in prior to his arrival. And they don't play a particularly pretty brand of footie, compared to Swansea for example.

I'd much rather someone who has done it at the highest level, this isn't work experience!
    I don't know what to make of Whelan.
    He comes across as genuinely happy to see his players and managers go on to bigger things.
    Then again it could be just like you say.
    He is/was a businessman after all.

Is it the sportsman side or businessman side that we see???

Andre Villas-Boas
    Maybe it's both. He knows they are not building a team to win the league, so if they can buy cheap and sell for a good profit, all the better. But if you are all about the club, you should NEVER want your best to leave...

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    What are you whittering on about now?

Just enjoying the delusions of a mid-table team :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Des wrote: »
    Dave Whelan has given Martinez permission to talk to Liverpool.

Who said Liverpool asked for it?

He said he got a phone call from Liverpool while in a meeting with Martinez,so they have contacted him. Unless he is lying which would be fairly sad.

http://news.ie.msn.com/sports/liverpool-make-move-for-martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rogers
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I really am struggling to understand this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Think AVB would be the best Liverpool could get. Don't envisage him having the same problems he did at Chelsea - too many egos to deal with there compared to Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rafael Benitez
    Brendan Rodgers turns down chance to talk to Liverpool about the job .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jurgen Klinnsman

Probably feels it is too soon in his career to take a job of this stature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Probably feels it is too soon in his career to take a job of this stature.

yeah, that's probably it alright.

Andre Villas-Boas
    I really am struggling to understand this myself.

My concern with AVB is that he didn't build that Porto team, he coached them for one season, albeit brilliantly. But Falcao was already there, as was Hulk. So maybe he works better as a coach with the players provided to him, rather than as a manager who is also buying and selling. Which would play into the hands of a more active DOF role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fair play to him, he said the same about the Chelsea job, hes still a young manager and is in a relative "comfort zone" at Swansea with fan/board support and this years over achievement.

I am sre he feels that he will get other chances in the future, he seems very self confident.

Not sure how to feel on the Liverpool job, those lamenting over Martinez are jumping the gun a bit, the more people we interview the better. If he is the only option, its not a good sign but i really really dont think this is the case.

If he comes in it will be with an experienced DoF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

sundula wrote: »
    Bob Bradley

Is he likely to get the Villa job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    My concern with AVB is that he didn't build that Porto team, he coached them for one season, albeit brilliantly. But Falcao was already there, as was Hulk. So maybe he works better as a coach with the players provided to him, rather than as a manager who is also buying and selling. Which would play into the hands of a more active DOF role.

But his signings for chelsea have all been excellent to alright. Mata, Romeu, Cahill and Meireles. The rest were not his purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Did get rid of some big players though - Meireles and Alves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The choice is also likely to be dependent on what players does the manager want, certain managers would want a clearout and thats going to cost big.

But then again, most other clubs seem to be unearthing gem without spending huge sums, except us.

Andre Villas-Boas
    Renn wrote: »
    Did get rid of some big players though - Meireles

And then bought him back at Chelsea! The ultimate "I'm sowwy..."

And yes, his signings did ok, although Mata was a no brainer. And it's easy to get good players with big money. Those 4 cost £50M.
    And don't forget Lukaku, a £20M flop so far!

Andre Villas-Boas
    ebbsy wrote: »
    But then again, most other clubs seem to be unearthing gem without spending huge sums, except us.

They do? Like whom? Newcastle have bought well (but not for peanuts), but most of this seasons best players were big money signings.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement