Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well Meireles wasn't his first choice at Chelsea - other potential signings didn't happen so it was easy to fall back on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Possible outsider could be Joaquin Caparros. People go on a lot about Biesla, but Caparros took Athletic Bilbao to sixth place last season, the final of the Copa del Rey the year before, and this season he performed a minor miracle by almost getting Mallorca into Europe.

He also blooded the Navas/Reyes/Ramos generation at Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Andre Villas-Boas
    G.K. wrote: »
    But his signings for chelsea have all been excellent to alright. Mata, Romeu, Cahill and Meireles. The rest were not his purchases.

But he got a team that needed an amount of surgery, uncertaintly about Anelka and Drogba, the Terry incident, and the quandry of "to play Torres ot not to play Torres". That's a lot more to deal with than he had an Posto, when he could get on with his job. The Chelsea project was almost a wash-out.

Dickerty wrote: »
    But he got a team that needed an amount of surgery, uncertaintly about Anelka and Drogba, the Terry incident, and the quandry of "to play Torres ot not to play Torres". That's a lot more to deal with than he had an Posto, when he could get on with his job. The Chelsea project was almost a wash-out.

Which is why Liverpool seems like a better move for him. What problems can you foresee there? As in, similar ones to the problems he had at Chelsea. Don't really think Liverpool need to delve to much into the transfer market. Decent squad - just need a manager there to get the most out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marcello Bielsa
    Des wrote: »
    Dave Whelan has given Martinez permission to talk to Liverpool.

Who said Liverpool asked for it?

Whelan loves the sound of his own voice.

It looks to me like a reporter jumped at the chance to get a story, asked Whelan a question about Martinez and Liverpool and Whelan has just said "I won't stand in his way".

There is nothing about a Liverpool approach to the man, there is nothing about Martinez touting himself for the job, just the media whore Whelan shooting his mouth off again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18110974

"Liverpool rang us and asked for permission to speak to Roberto, which I've given," Whelan told BBC Sport.

Unless Whelan has blatantly lied through his teeth, Liverpool have approached Martinez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Renn wrote: »
    Which is why Liverpool seems like a better move for him. What problems can you foresee there? As in, similar ones to the problems he had at Chelsea. Don't really think Liverpool need to delve to much into the transfer market. Decent squad - just need a manager there to get the most out of them.

Manage a "Mr Liverpool" centre half out of the club, and an aging once great now decent and injured all the time midfielder out of the team.

Well I'm pretty sure Carragher knows himself that he's done. Maybe get a coaching role at Liverpool? I dunno. Don't think it's quite the same as the Terry scenario. And Gerrard will manage himself out of the team by being injured for x amount of the season. Easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Lambert
    Manage a "Mr Liverpool" centre half out of the club, and an aging once great now decent and injured all the time midfielder out of the team.

Don't like Carragher but he has given plenty of interviews over the last few months saying he knows his position in the team and accepts it. If that was just because Kenny was in charge or not I don't know but you can't really compare him to the likes of Lampard, Terry and Drogba who were convinced they should start every game.

Marcello Bielsa
    I don't think AVB will be the next Liverpool manager. He didn't just get sacked at Chelsea because of his results, he had actually lost the dressing room. He didn't try to adapt to their current style whilst slowly introduce his own, which imo, he should have done.

I think the notion that the older players got him sacked is far too speculative. As far as I could see most of that dressing room were not happy with what he was doing.

I think FSG will steer clear. He'd be a massive risk for them because if he ended up doing the same at Liverpool as he did with Chelsea, they will be heavly, heavily criticised for hiring him.

I think there's a gamble with Martinez as well, but we haven't seen him royally **** up and lose a dressing room in his last job, which is a huge thing going against AVB imo.

• Advertisement

Marcello Bielsa
    Well I'm pretty sure Carragher knows himself that he's done. Maybe get a coaching role at Liverpool? I dunno. Don't think it's quite the same as the Terry scenario. And Gerrard will manage himself out of the team by being injured for x amount of the season. Easy!

Carragher afaik has a couple of years to run on a £90k/week contract. He won't be retiring anytime soon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Brendan Rodgers would be a fool to leave Swansea right now, especially for Liverpool.

That's not a dig at Liverpool, I just think he needs a second season with Swansea in the PL before heading off to a pressure cooker job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers would be a fool to leave Swansea right now, especially for Liverpool.

That's not a dig at Liverpool, I just think he needs a second season with Swansea in the PL before heading off to a pressure cooker job.

Which is why he is said to have refused the approach :) ( i agree with you completly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't think AVB will be the next Liverpool manager. He didn't just get sacked at Chelsea because of his results, he had actually lost the dressing room. He didn't try to adapt to their current style whilst slowly introduce his own, which imo, he should have done.

I think the notion that the older players got him sacked is far too speculative. As far as I could see most of that dressing room were not happy with what he was doing.

I think FSG will steer clear. He'd be a massive risk for them because if he ended up doing the same at Liverpool as he did with Chelsea, they will be heavly, heavily criticised for hiring him.

I think there's a gamble with Martinez as well, but we haven't seen him royally **** up and lose a dressing room in his last job, which is a huge thing going against AVB imo.

Valid points on Villas Boas tbf.

He had a better win percentage than Di Matteo currently has so he didn't get sacked for results imo - what he did was try to overhaul the Chelsea team with regard to style of play - like you said he failed to adapt to their style and then tweak it.

He went in all guns blazing and píssed off the dressing room imo - he'll learn from it no doubt, and I get what you're saying about FSG steering clear of him, but at the same time I still feel like he's a good manager who. given time and investment, could do a job at Liverpool.

I'd like to see him get the job tbh but doubt it'll happen.

My main issue is that we want to find the right man, but quickly - something that rarely happens in tandem - while we're looking for a manager, our rivals are looking at players and it's frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Andre Villas-Boas
    PaulieC wrote: »

He had a better win percentage than Di Matteo currently has so he didn't get sacked for results imo - what he did was try to overhaul the Chelsea team with regard to style of play - like you said he failed to adapt to their style and then tweak it.

He went in all guns blazing and píssed off the dressing room imo - he'll learn from it no doubt, and I get what you're saying about FSG steering clear of him, but at the same time I still feel like he's a good manager who. given time and investment, could do a job at Liverpool.

My main issue is that we want to find the right man, but quickly - something that rarely happens in tandem - while we're looking for a manager, our rivals are looking at players and it's frustrating.

My main fear with AVB would be that he would buy David Luiz again and let him charge about like a man possessed when he should be defending ! Talented but ultimately a lunatic.

As far as Martinez is concerned, i think he is too idealistic. He won't have the luxury of playing 3-4-3 all out attacking football at liverpool. I feel he needs to develop his style, tempering his attacking instincts a little and spending more time understanding how to neutralise the threat posed by other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Roberto Martinez
    I am pie wrote: »
    My main fear with AVB would be that he would buy David Luiz again and let him charge about like a man possessed when he should be defending ! Talented but ultimately a lunatic.

As far as Martinez is concerned, i think he is too idealistic. He won't have the luxury of playing 3-4-3 all out attacking football at liverpool. I feel he needs to develop his style, tempering his attacking instincts a little and spending more time understanding how to neutralise the threat posed by other teams.

Was David Luiz not signed before AVB became manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

killwill wrote: »

Yes, he was bought in Jan 11, same day as Torres.

So Ancelotti (well really Abrahmovich) bought him!

Roberto Martinez
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, he was bought in Jan 11, same day as Torres.

So Ancelotti (well really Abrahmovich) bought him!

Thought so, thanks.

Marcello Bielsa
    PaulieC wrote: »

In the league, he did but I think that's a very misleading stat. RDM had 12 PL games in charge of Chelsea including City, Arsenal and Liverpool away plus Newcastle and Spurs at home. Those are very difficult fixtures, especially during the tail end of the season with the CL and FA cup fixtures piling up so the league form was never going to be spectacular and I think he done just about as well as he could have done.

RDM was by and large, winning games he was expected to in the league. 3 points were attained from Stoke, Villa, Wigan, QPR and Blackburn. AVB on the other hand only managed to beat Blackburn from that list, whilst also failing to beat Swansea, Norwich, Fulham at home and losing to West Brom and Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Paul Lambert
    killwill wrote: »
    Yes Luiz was signed in January. AVB took over at the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Paul Lambert
    i would say benitez or avb,

benietez has had a good run with the club bar his last season, he would be able to spend a bit more money this time rather than when he was there before and like Kenny the fans would have his backing because of his previous success with the club

with avb he might have a better chance with liverpool, there would be less players with attitude problems as opposed to chelsea (terry etc) i believe he might have more time to prove himself than he had with chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Blatter wrote: »
    Carragher afaik has a couple of years to run on a £90k/week contract. He won't be retiring anytime soon imo.

Plus i'd imagine he has do all those coaching bagdes before he can become a coach, or maybe he has his badges already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd say they wont want a repeat of the fans backlash after sacking Kenny and therefore wont look at Benitez who has history there and who they might feel would have too much influence throughout the club. I suspect they'll want a clean break and will try to put in "their" man.

Hococop wrote: »

benietez has had a good run with the club bar his last season, he would be able to spend a bit more money this time rather than when he was there before and like Kenny the fans would have his backing because of his previous success with the club

with avb he might have a better chance with liverpool, there would be less players with attitude problems as opposed to chelsea (terry etc) i believe he might have more time to prove himself than he had with chelsea.

Would there be tension with Carragher/Gerrard? Weren't they a part of him leaving the last time?

Paul Lambert
    Do Liverpool fans really want Rafa back? Can he do a better job this time?
    If he does come back should he get as much control as he had before e.g control of academy staff. I'd see it as a bit of a lateral move tbh. I think they should aim for something new like AVB but not being a Liverpool fan it's quite easy to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

a bit of a risk going back to a former manager ala with kenny, anyway he is certainly the fans favourite. If Rafa hadn't won the CL, would he be in the running, i doubt it.

what louis van gaal, hiddink even plus these guys are proven winners with big clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Paul Lambert
    Felexicon wrote: »
    Do Liverpool fans really want Rafa back? Can he do a better job this time?
    If he does come back should he get as much control as he had before e.g control of academy staff. I'd see it as a bit of a lateral move tbh. I think they should aim for something new like AVB but not being a Liverpool fan it's quite easy to say that.

same i'm a united fan but i figured benietez would have better success with Liverpool than Kenny did. benitez left 2 years ago so would still have good knowledge of the club, whereas it was during the mid 80's when he manager Liverpool and roughly 10 years since he last managed a team before coming back,

Paul Lambert
    same i'm a united fan but i figured benietez would have better success with Liverpool than Kenny did. benitez left 2 years ago so would still have good knowledge of the club, whereas it was during the mid 80's when he manager Liverpool and roughly 10 years since he last managed a team before coming back,
    Can't really see how that will make him more successful tbh.

Dalglish was employed by LFC before he came back as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas
    Would there be tension with Carragher/Gerrard? Weren't they a part of him leaving the last time?

Move them on so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

According to the BBC who ever gets the job will have a mighty 30 million war chest! (So not quite a Carroll then!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Paul Lambert
    According to the BBC who ever gets the job will have a mighty 30 million war chest! (So not quite a Carroll then!)

30 million in the right hands is a lot of money.

Andre Villas-Boas
    It's not a lot these days but 2-4 signings and possibly a player or two leaving at the same time could see a decent improvement in the squad if it is spent well.

If.

Who needs to leave? Apart from Carragher...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Andre Villas-Boas
    a bit of a risk going back to a former manager ala with kenny, anyway he is certainly the fans favourite. If Rafa hadn't won the CL, would he be in the running, i doubt it.

what louis van gaal, hiddink even plus these guys are proven winners with big clubs

He also got to another final and semi final.
    And his 2008/9 team was the best in the CL.
    With the cash Kenny was given he would have had us in the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Lambert
    Rafa would be "bigger" than the club owners in the eyes of many and that's a dangerous situation for the men who sign the cheques. I really don't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Paul Lambert

Zero chance that Van gaal, Hiddink et al would manage Liverpool, particularily in the posision they are in and the likely hood that Liverpool wouldnt pay them the wages they would want.

I'd love to see Rafa back at Liverpool in one way. Be great for the "banter" on here.

Paul Lambert
    Who needs to leave? Apart from Carragher...
    Downing, Adam, Jay Spearing are three that spring to mind. I'm not saying they'd contribute to a negative mentality at the club but they're not good enough for a team aiming higher than mid table.

I'd also make a case for getting rid of Gerrard as some of his actions this season have been detremental to Liverpools performance. But being honest the owners would be burned out if that happens

And his 2008/9 team was the best in the CL.

You mean the best Liverpool ever had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I think a lot of people are looking back on the Benitez era with rose tinted glasses.

Towards the end of that era, a lot of Liverpool fans were saying enough, he didn't know what he was doing and so on and so forth.

He also had a prime Torres in the team, albeit occasionally injured. Now Torres is gone. As is Merelais. Gerard, Carragher and Kuyt seem to be past it. Maxi going. Reina disinterested.

He'd also only have 30 million to spend, which isn't much.

Benitez resigned/left/was pushed out the last time because of his unhappiness with the funds offered to him.

Would he accept the job again, knowing that funds are even less this time? Would be some climbdown if he did.

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are looking back on the Benitez era with rose tinted glasses.

Towards the end of that era, a lot of Liverpool fans were saying enough, he didn't know what he was doing and so on and so forth.

He also had a prime Torres in the team, albeit occasionally injured. Now Torres is gone. As is Merelais. Gerard, Carragher and Kuyt seem to be past it. Maxi going. Reina disinterested.

He'd also only have 30 million to spend, which isn't much.

Benitez resigned/left/was pushed out the last time because of his unhappiness with the funds offered to him.

Would he accept the job again, knowing that funds are even less this time? Would be some climbdown if he did.

This isn't really representative of what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

This isn't really representative of what was happening.

Which part?

When the money dried up at Liverpool, Benitez finished seventh in the league.

I know Liverpool fans will defend him to the hilt and attack posters on here who question his record when there was no money to spend and blame it all on the owners, and say Benitez was god and so on.

I think pool fans should be realistic about what Benitez can do with a bare cupboard for funds.

He'd have to sell to buy and there's not much to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Which part?

I know Liverpool fans will defend him to the hilt and attack posters on here who question his record when there was no money to spend and blame it all on the owners, and say Benitez was god and so on.

I think pool fans should be realistic about what Benitez can do with a bare cupboard for funds.

As someone pointed out - 30 million is a lot in the right hands - just look at Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

As someone pointed out - 30 million is a lot in the right hands - just look at Newcastle!

I always thought that if Abramovitch had wanted to truly dominate English football several years ago then he should have bought Alex Ferguson instead of just players. It'd be like solving two problems at once.

Similarly Liverpool should probably try buy Newcastle's scouting team rather than blowing it yet again on more big money flops to add to their ever growing collection.

Paul Lambert
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    I always thought that if Abramovitch had wanted to truly dominate English football several years ago then he should have bought Alex Ferguson instead of just players. It'd be like solving two problems at once.

Similarly Liverpool should probably try buy Newcastle's scouting team rather than blowing it yet again on more big money flops to add to their ever growing collection.
    The same Newcastle scouts that signed Andy Carroll as a teenager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

paid for them to finish 5th this season didnt it

• Advertisement

Andre Villas-Boas
    Which part?

The money had dried up before he finished 7th in the league.
    I'm not attacking, it just doesn't really represent quite how difficult the working conditions were.

The owners were not honest with him and just constantly moved the goalposts. When they arrived the told him they couldn't wait to fully support him fully in the transfer market and 'the draft', this is the type of clowns he was dealing with.

Apart from having to sell to buy, at some point he was told he could only sign players from clubs that already owed us money. This is why GlenJo was bought from Portsmouth who owed us money still from the Crouch deal. There was at least one other player who fell into this category, I think Aqua but not sure.

I will agree with you, if there zero cash available then I can't see him wanting the job as it'd be incredibly unlikely that you'd get 4th without at least some changes to the squad.

If there is £30m available this summer (just a figure that has been thrown about and may not be based in reality), then he will already have a bigger transfer budget then he had for his last few years at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Well that's more kudos for them right there. I'm sure Liverpool would have been happy to have been the club that bought him for nothing and sold him for 35m.

Andre Villas-Boas

So signing Andy Carroll for peanuts as a teenager and selling him on for £35m is a black mark on the Newcastle scouting team.

Can I have some of what you're smoking please? :)

Roberto Martinez

Did you watch Newcastle in the Championship?
    Did you watch them their first season back in the PL until Christmas?
    He was on a great run of form tbf.
    Oh and they made a small profit on thr kid too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Paul Lambert
    Why Martinez is favourite I haven't a clue!? Even money with some bookies but my money would go on AVB (9/2 Ladbrokes best price) after having his reputation severely tarnished at the hands of Abramovich I think he could do a decent job with Liverpool if he was given enough time?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement