Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rogers IS the new Liverpool Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Andre Villas-Boas
    Apart from having to sell to buy, at some point he was told he could only sign players from clubs that already owed us money. This is why GlenJo was bought from Portsmouth who owed us money still from the Crouch deal. There was at least one other player who fell into this category, I think Aqua but not sure.

Yup, Roma still owed money from the Riise deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Paul Lambert
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Well that's more kudos for them right there. I'm sure Liverpool would have been happy to have been the club that bought him for nothing and sold him for 35m.
    That would be a great strategy for a club to employ.
    1) Sign talented local teenager
    2) Wait for him to have one decent season during which a club legend can hype him up on a weekly highlights show
    3) Sell player to a bigger club for a massivly inflated price
    4) Use the profits to buy quality players that have for some reason been overlooked by others
    5) Finish above the "bigger" club the next season

How could it fail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Which part?

When the money dried up at Liverpool, Benitez finished seventh in the league.

I know Liverpool fans will defend him to the hilt and attack posters on here who question his record when there was no money to spend and blame it all on the owners, and say Benitez was god and so on.

I think pool fans should be realistic about what Benitez can do with a bare cupboard for funds.

He'd have to sell to buy and there's not much to sell.

As someone pointed out - 30 million is a lot in the right hands - just look at Newcastle!

Indeed, a Mr Moyes would prob get into the cl with that..

Jevalic for five (5) million ?
    Thank you very much .

The amount that LFC managers have squandered in the last decade is one of the reasons they are in a mess now. How much did they piss down the drain on the new anfield?

It goes further than managers tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Andre Villas-Boas
    This whole 30m carry on is just something a journalist has pulled out of the air.

Might be more, might be less.

The main hope I have is that the new man in clears out a long list of deadwood and finds away to play gerrard, suarez and carroll together effectively.

Would like to see the back of:

Kuyt, Carragher (sorry lad, the legs have gone) Cole & Downing (wishful thinking). Not sure if Aquilani shouldn't be on that list too. Rodriguez I'd hang on to, he'll make Suarez and Coates feel at home and he chips in with occasional goal. He's doing no major harm !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Paul Lambert
    Felexicon wrote: »
    That would be a great strategy for a club to employ.
    1) Sign talented local teenager
    2) Wait for him to have one decent season during which a club legend can hype him up on a weekly highlights show
    3) Sell player to a bigger club for a massivly inflated price
    4) Use the profits to buy quality players that have for some reason been overlooked by others
    5) Finish above the "bigger" club the next season

How could it fail?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not because your waffle aside that is a great business plan for a club like newcastle!!

Paul Lambert
    Big Knox wrote: »
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not because your waffle aside that is a great business plan for a club like newcastle!!
    I'd like to see this pitched on Dragons Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

We need to go new this time..
    Im not sure how avb would do, given that he seemed to fall out with most of the chelsea team..... Would give him a shot though...

The amount of support for benitez is amazing.......the one memory i have from benitez just before he went was these strange substutions and formations.. Im thinking of one time where he took torres off against birmingham, where we badly needed a goal and everyone was scratching their heads...

If they can get somebody who can actually motivate the players, that would be a start... Matteo has managed to reinvigorate the chelsea cash cows...

Above all someone who can send a team out when we are away to stoke or fulham and not fall apart..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Marcello Bielsa
    coup1917 wrote: »

The amount of support for benitez is amazing.......the one memory i have from benitez just before he went was these strange substutions and formations..

I guess you slept through the 2 Champions League finals, the FA Cup win, the 4-1 win at Old Trafford, the runners up campaign.

Man Utd fan btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Andre Villas-Boas
    I am pie wrote: »
    My main fear with AVB would be that he would buy David Luiz again and let him charge about like a man possessed when he should be defending ! Talented but ultimately a lunatic.

As far as Martinez is concerned, i think he is too idealistic. He won't have the luxury of playing 3-4-3 all out attacking football at liverpool. I feel he needs to develop his style, tempering his attacking instincts a little and spending more time understanding how to neutralise the threat posed by other teams.

Erm? It's not all out attacking.... 3-4-3 can be a very defensive formation...

Read all about it here: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/16/wigan-stay-up-after-a-switch-to-3-4-3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

Andre Villas-Boas
    Rafa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I guess you slept through the 2 Champions League finals, the FA Cup win, the 4-1 win at Old Trafford, the runners up campaign.

Man Utd fan btw.

I did say just before he went..
    Once things went sour with Alonso, everything went downhill. The overwhelming consensus was to sack him at the time and i dont believe we should be going back to previous managers.. It never works out... Yes we had some good times under benitez but it would be wrong to try and get him back and hope for the best..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andre Villas-Boas
    I did say just before he went..
    Once things went sour with Alonso, everything went downhill. The overwhelming consensus was to sack him at the time and i dont believe we should be going back to previous managers.. It never works out... Yes we had some good times under benitez but it would be wrong to try and get him back and hope for the best..

It really wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Andre Villas-Boas
    The overwhelming consensus was to sack him at the time

There was calls for his head from a certain section of fans but I don't think it was anything close to overwhelming.
    i dont believe we should be going back to previous managers.. It never works out...

Marcelo Lippi. Juventus, 1994-99.
    3 League Titles. 3 CL Finals, 1 win.

Left for Inter in 99. Sacked after 2 seasons with no silverware.

Returned to Juve the next year and won 2 further league titles
    and reached another CL Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I hear Alex Mcleish is being interviewed???

*troll face*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Andre Villas-Boas
    Interviewed for what job though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I hope it's not AVB or Martinez.
    Both likeable people that I wouldn't want to see inevitably f**ked over by impatient fans if things were not working out as well as expected.

How are Liverpool fans impatient??? Are you basing this on the fact we wanted Hodgson gone?? Liverpool fans are well known, criticized at times, for standing by the manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rafael Benitez
    monkey9 wrote: »
    How are Liverpool fans impatient??? Are you basing this on the fact we wanted Hodgson gone?? Liverpool fans are well known, criticized at times, for standing by the manager!
    Meh,Benitez drops out of top 4 and there's calls for his head.
    Hodgson walks in the door and there's calls for his head.
    There's evidence enough in this thread for Dalglish.

Martinez isn't even in the job and people are moaning about him so he doesn't stand a chance if he doesn't get off to a great start.
    AVB losing the dressing room at Chelsea is a recurring topic whenever his name pops up.

It's become a poisoned chalice of a job in the space of a few years.
    Expectations from a large section of the support are far too high.
    Dalglish escaped a shìtload of the flak he would have got had he not had the association he has with the club so what chance does an outsider have.

All I'm saying is these are 2 decent,likeable men and I wouldn't want to see them on the end of the inevitable hounding if it didn't work out.

Of course it's not all fans before anyone goes off on one but it's a sizeable and vocal amount.

Paul Lambert

Martinez isn't even in the job and people are moaning about him so he doesn't stand a chance if he doesn't get off to a great start.
    AVB losing the dressing room at Chelsea is a recurring topic whenever his name pops up.

Dalglish escaped a shìtload of the flak he would have got had he not had the association he has with the club so what chance does an outsider have.

All I'm saying is these are 2 decent,likeable men and I wouldn't want to see them on the end of the inevitable hounding if it didn't work out.

Of course it's not all fans before anyone goes off on one but it's a sizeable and vocal amount.
    This is true. Liverpool fans are massively nostalgic and therefore will allow more time for a face they know to get going. The large section of supporters hoping for Rafa to come back are evidence of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Samich wrote: »
    I hear Alex Mcleish is being interviewed???

For fraud?

• Advertisement

Paul Lambert
    For fraud?
    No he's only concerned with bringing the city of Birmingham to its knees. He'll be looking to take Wolves to League 1 next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

It must be a bit scary for Liverpool fans that Brendan Rodgers has rejected advances.

I know Liverpool tried to get Martin O'Neill a few years back with people like Mark Lawrenson full sure he would take the job. I wonder is it because O'Neill turned them down a few years ago - for family reasons it was at the time - that some Liverpool fans around here reject the notion of O'Neill. O'Neill has the experience and track record and would have no fear taking over Liverpool. He would get them punching their weight and would get the most out of Andy Carroll in particular. Liverpool would be back in the top four guaranteed next season if they got O'Neill. Martinez, Rodgers and some of the other names bandied about would be gambles in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Liverpool would be back in the top four guaranteed next season if they got O'Neill.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

It must be a bit scary for Liverpool fans that Brendan Rodgers has rejected advances.

Says more about Rodgers than Liverpool. Rodgers has already made the mistake of jumping ship once. He's learnt from his past mistake and probably feels some loyalty towards Swansea. Besides it was only an interview for a job he probably wouldn't have got and he'd have to be involved in a media **** storm. Its Rodgers' intelligence behind this decision not Liverpool's declining stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

this thread is a train wreck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andre Villas-Boas

I know Liverpool tried to get Martin O'Neill a few years back with people like Mark Lawrenson full sure he would take the job. I wonder is it because O'Neill turned them down a few years ago - for family reasons it was at the time - that some Liverpool fans around here reject the notion of O'Neill. O'Neill has the experience and track record and would have no fear taking over Liverpool. He would get them punching their weight and would get the most out of Andy Carroll in particular. Liverpool would be back in the top four guaranteed next season if they got O'Neill. Martinez, Rodgers and some of the other names bandied about would be gambles in comparison.

It's not.

• Advertisement

Regarding Rafa!!! Opposition fans were calling him sh!te, doing the usual 'i really hope he stays as Liverpool manager' schtick when he had us in the Champions League every season and also had us competing for the title. Whoever comes in will be getting plenty of stick from opposition fans here.

Yes, opinion on Rafa was divided, but he was very well supported. I'm not saying Boards is the decider on things and an accurate poll, but more LFC fans on here supported Rafa than not.

I'm not even getting into the Hodgson debate. Opposition fans defended him to the hilt, that says it all about his stint there.

I agree that Kenny did get more leeway. If Martinez gets the job even though i don't want him to and i think he'll be out of his depth, he will be given more than one season by the fans.

No he's only concerned with bringing the city of Birmingham to its knees. He'll be looking to take Wolves to League 1 next season

He still has business to do at West Brom first. They're looking for a new manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Paul Lambert
    this thread is a train wreck

Every Liverpool thread is??

Helix wrote: »
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAAAA what? He nearly got Villa into the top 4 a couple of seasons back, he would definitely get 'pool back in the top 4.

Maybe his style of football mightn't appeal to some Liverpool fans who have ridiculous outdated notions about their club, but he would be a safe bet for Liverpool to regain top 4 status.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Paul Lambert
    Regarding Rafa!!! Opposition fans were calling him sh!te, doing the usual 'i really hope he stays as Liverpool manager' schtick when he had us in the Champions League every season and also had us competing for the title. Whoever comes in will be getting plenty of stick from opposition fans here.

Yes, opinion on Rafa was divided, but he was very well supported. I'm not saying Boards is the decider on things and an accurate poll, but more LFC fans on here supported Rafa than not.

I'm not even getting into the Hodgson debate. Opposition fans defended him to the hilt, that says it all about his stint there.

I agree that Kenny did get more leeway. If Martinez gets the job even though i don't want him to and i think he'll be out of his depth, he will be given more than one season by the fans.

No he won't because a lot of fans don't want him in the first place and if Liverpool are out of the race by Xmas he'll be gone. (source: Roy Hodgson)

• Advertisement

Not at all. He rejected the notion of taking over at Chelsea as well.
    I know Liverpool tried to get Martin O'Neill a few years back with people like Mark Lawrenson full sure he would take the job. I wonder is it because O'Neill turned them down a few years ago - for family reasons it was at the time - that some Liverpool fans around here reject the notion of O'Neill.
    Em, no! No it's not. In fact, did O' Neill even turn Liverpool down. I'm not aware of that? Are any Liverpool fans aware of that? Even if he did turn Liverpool down, no that's not the reason!

Masked Man wrote: »
    Says more about Rodgers than Liverpool. Rodgers has already made the mistake of jumping ship once. He's learnt from his past mistake and probably feels some loyalty towards Swansea. Besides it was only an interview for a job he probably wouldn't have got and he'd have to be involved in a media **** storm. Its Rodgers' intelligence behind this decision not Liverpool's declining stature.

Fair enough I guess if he wasn't interested or felt he wouldn't get the job it's his call. Still there was a time if Liverpool came calling, then everyone in the game in England would usually answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

gotta love the rose tinted view of Liverpool fans, they never change.

leggit wrote: »
    Every Liverpool thread is??

Ha.

Good one, you're some man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Whether it's 30 million or not, one thing is for sure, the owners will have a big say in transfers and if its value for money, cause they just saw 100 million of there money p*ssed down the drain by Kenny.

Is it true they are looking for a coach, who wouldn't have the final say over transfers and a director of football who would oversee the coach and have more of an influence over transfers?

As for AVB, I don't think his Chelsea reign indicates much about him, he's probably a good coach, he's very thorough, well prepared and so on, almost Mourinho like that way.

Abramovich sacked Mourinho, Ancelloti and Grant despite a lot of success, so he's virtually impossible to please.

The one mistake AVB would make though is to try to repeat at Liverpool what he did at Chelsea and leave a lot of senior players on the bench and p*ss them off.

Paul Lambert

Em, no! No it's not. In fact, did O' Neill even turn Liverpool down. I'm not aware of that? Are any Liverpool fans aware of that? Even if he did turn Liverpool down, no that's not the reason!
    I'm fairly sure the only job O'Neill ruled himself out of due to family issues was when the Irish job was going and his wife was very sick.
    I'd say it would have been a big story if he turned Liverpool down.
    I could be wrong though

leggit wrote: »
    No he won't because a lot of fans don't want him in the first place and if Liverpool are out of the race by Xmas he'll be gone. (source: Roy Hodgson)

I don't want Martinez as manager. But if he gets the job, it has to be for more than one season. He's not going to win us the title next season. He won't have us finishing next season in the top four. He needs more than one season and he'll be given it. But i don't want him getting the job in the first place!

What's the reason, spell it out.

I'm sure you are not talking for all Liverpool fans btw, Mark Lawrenson for example certainly wanted O'Neill as Liverpool boss in recent times. I distinctly remember him on Matt Coopers radio show and on the Beeb, suggesting O'Neill for the 'Pool job and expressing his view that he would be a great success.

I'm not in a position to make this call, but I propose all Liverpool supporters to withdraw from this thread and let it descend into a feeble circle-jerk and slip down the forum pages like the 'Kenny and Liverpool are done' thread

Paul Lambert
    Whether it's 30 million or not, one thing is for sure, the owners will have a big say in transfers and if its value for money, cause they just saw 100 million of there money p*ssed down the drain by Kenny.

Is it true they are looking for a coach, who wouldn't have the final say over transfers and a director of football who would oversee the coach and have more of an influence over transfers?

As for AVB, I don't think his Chelsea reign indicates much about him, he's probably a good coach, he's very thorough, well prepared and so on, almost Mourinho like that way.

Abramovich sacked Mourinho, Ancelloti and Grant despite a lot of success, so he's virtually impossible to please.

The one mistake AVB would make though is to try to repeat at Liverpool what he did at Chelsea and leave a lot of senior players on the bench and p*ss them off.
    Which senior players? Liverpool don't really have any besides Reina and Gerrard

• Advertisement

gotta love the rose tinted view of Liverpool fans, they never change.

Helix is a Villa who depised O' Neill and doesn't rate him.

Rodgers is a far better manager than Martinez I would say, as is Lambert.

Both are consistant and their clubs looked comfortable in the EPL, whereas Wigan struggled for much of the season. They would be similar size clubs as well to Wigan.

Swansea play a nice brand of football too.

Ha.

Good one, you're some man

Liverpool are a train wreck at this juncture. If they get another appointment wrong they'll be in danger of kissing the glory days good bye permanently. Top 4 status is becoming beyond the reach of Liverpool with the emergence of Man C and Spurs, they need to do something about it and get it right it fairly quick. Martinez? he'd be a gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

HAAAAAAAAAA what? He nearly got Villa into the top 4 a couple of seasons back, he would definitely get 'pool back in the top 4.

Maybe his style of football mightn't appeal to some Liverpool fans who have ridiculous outdated notions about their club, but he would be a safe bet for Liverpool to regain top 4 status.

i would genuinely fcuking LOVE martin o'neill to get the liverpool job, just to put this to bed at last. he'd be sacked within a year

Carra and Gerrard. I think they'd be more open to AVB's appointment than Terry and Lampard were!

Aggar, Skyrtel, Johnson, Gerard, Reina, Lucas when fit and one or two others.

i would genuinely fcuking LOVE martin o'neill to get the liverpool job, just to put this to bed at last. he'd be sacked within a year

No he wouldn't. You're a so called Villa fan right. Villa nearly got relegated this season, when he was there ye were challenging for a CL place.

Nonsense. O'Neill has been a success in every managerial post he's been in and usually with limited resources.

He took over Sunderland and with the same squad of players as Bruce turned them into world beaters or near enough, almost overnight. No transfers, nothing, just through motivation, tactics, encouragement and so on.

He's one of the best managers in the EPL, but has always been stuck with shoe string budgets.

I think he'd make a great Liverpool manager.

Paul Lambert
    Aggar, Skyrtel, Johnson, Gerard, Reina, Lucas when fit and one or two others.
    Really? Wouldn't have though of these as senior players like I would Lampard or Terry. But if Liverpool fans see these as senior players fair enough.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are a train wreck at this juncture. If they get another appointment wrong they'll be in danger of kissing the glory days good bye permanently. Top 4 status is becoming beyond the reach of Liverpool with the emergence of Man C and Spurs, they need to do something about and get it right it fairly quick. Martinez? he'd be a gamble.

That's not what I was replying to, but yes I agree with your point that this appointment has got to be the correct one and the owners can't afford to take a gamble on someone who hasn't proved they can cut it at the top level which, obviously, is where LFC is transpiring to be. For this reason, I think MON, Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert or Pardew would be very foolhardy appointments which may cement the current team as mid-table if the results don't come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement