Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aprilia rs 125

• 16-05-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hi lads,

Are these bikes expensive to insure? I'd like a bike for the duration of the summer months. I don't have a bike license but don't mind doing the theory test etc to get a learner permit.

I'm looking to buy one in the UK as a nice starter bike and vrt it here etc :).

I did have a 50cc scooter 12 years ago lol. My biking experience is limited. The only 125cc bike I ever liked was the RS125 so what's your opinions on this particular model?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Depending on your age/size etc, the RS125 may not suit you. They're small and light and if you're any way a big lad (6ft or more/15 stone or more) you'll struggle, or at least the bike will. They can give fierce trouble too. I know most bikes can, but the Aprilia RS125 has a bad rep for sh!t going bang. It's hard to get a good one too as they tend to have the hoop ridden out of them. Would you not go for a Bros or Super Four instead? Far better bikes IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

Depending on your age/size etc, the RS125 may not suit you. They're small and light and if you're any way a big lad (6ft or more/15 stone or more) you'll struggle, or at least the bike will. They can give fierce trouble too. I know most bikes can, but the Aprilia RS125 has a bad rep for sh!t going bang. It's hard to get a good one too as they tend to have the hoop ridden out of them. Would you not go for a Bros or Super Four instead? Far better bikes IMHO.

I'm 5 10 and not a heavy lad at all. I'm 30 years old.
    I'm restricted to 125 CC right?

I will Google those other bikes thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

mondeo wrote: »

What licence do you have?

No, you're not restricted to a 125cc. Those days are long gone. You're restricted to 33hp. So in other words, you could buy a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600 and get it restricted and be all legal.** But if you're a bit iffy about starting off on something like that, like I said in my previous post, a Bros or Super Four are ideal starter bikes, and they won't break down.

** depending on licence.

P.C. wrote: »
    What licence do you have?

I dont have any sort of bike license. I only have a full car license :pac:
    My learner bike permit is on my to do list:).

No, you're not restricted to a 125cc. Those days are long gone. You're restricted to 33hp. So in other words, you could buy a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600 and get it restricted and be all legal.** But if you're a bit iffy about starting off on something like that, like I said in my previous post, a Bros or Super Four are ideal starter bikes, and they won't break down.

** depending on licence.

Assuming I get a learner permit for a bike over the coming weeks I can buy a decent bike and get it restricted even with a learner permit? I was under the impression as a learner I was restricted to 125cc. If I could get a decent 400cc bike as a first bike I'd be delighted :)

• Advertisement

Assuming I get a learner permit for a bike over the coming weeks I can buy a decent bike and get it restricted even with a learner permit? I was under the impression as a learner I was restricted to 125cc. If I could get a decent 400cc bike as a first bike I'd be delighted :)

Well, get the proper learner permit and then yes, you can get a 400cc (or even a 600cc) and get it restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I did have a 50cc scooter 12 years ago lol. My biking experience is limited. The only 125cc bike I ever liked was the RS125 so what's your opinions on this particular model?
    I think that you answered it yourself OP, the RS125 is a rorty 125cc smoker, they are not a tractable engine. 2 strokes like these need a bit of fettling to run right and need a good caning to keep running right.The effective powerband is narrow and you need to change gears a lot to keep it on the boil.
    I say all this as someone who loves 2 strokes and has had a few.
    If you wanted a cool and slightly retro 2 stroke then Yamaha RXS100 would be a very cool machine to bring in and learn on. They are also bulletproof if cared for.

Well, get the proper learner permit and then yes, you can get a 400cc (or even a 600cc) and get it restricted.

Great I can avoid two strokers now:). Better get my permit sorted asap and go bike shopping :D
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think that you answered it yourself OP, the RS125 is a rorty 125cc smoker, they are not a tractable engine. 2 strokes like these need a bit of fettling to run right and need a good caning to keep running right.The effective powerband is narrow and you need to change gears a lot to keep it on the boil.
    I say all this as someone who loves 2 strokes and has had a few.
    If you wanted a cool and slightly retro 2 stroke then Yamaha RXS100 would be a very cool machine to bring in and learn on. They are also bulletproof if cared for.

Honestly I would go for a 4 stroke all day long as a learner over a two stroke. New information from this thread means I can rule out the RS125 now for somthing meatier:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Make sure that you get an A Learner Permit.

I'm going to apply for it Friday. I'm gonna look for a nice 1980's Honda CBR 400rr. Some interesting 1980's sport bike anyway. I like those dual Headlamps and general retroness of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

To be honest, if you're only planning to get a bike for the "summer months" I don't think it's worth it financially for you.

Before you even get on the bike or buy your gear, you're talking about €400 approximately to do the theory test and your IBT. Then depending on what level of protection you're looking for from your bike gear that's another €500 minimum and you'd be lucky to get a decent helmet and full set of leathers, gloves and boots for that.

Then you have your insurance costs, taxing the bike and buying the bike itself.

Take a CB400 for example, which is a fairly popular and decent sized starter bike, there's one on donedeal today for €1,300. Given your age it won't be as expensive to insure as it may be for younger people but lets say €400-€500.

Oh and on top of that, if you did decide to go for a CB400 or a CBR400RR you're looking at a further €250 approximately to get it restricted.

All of that expense just to get a bike for the "summer months"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The RS125 while a beautiful bike, is terrible. I'd one. It broke my heart, fouled plugs every 2/3 days, the powervalve was forever gumming up, the rear shock collapsed on me and she'd a tendancy to stick the throttle open. It spent (No exaggeration) about 2 days a week at the Dealer for the same recurring issues, and they eventually gave me my money back. That was about 12 years ago - it was my first bike. Any examples still around won't have gotten better with time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I allways had a thing for these bikes.

I owned several of them in 125cc and also 250cc form,many many years ago (late 90s-2000).

They were and are expensive to keep going,engine parts can and will cost a fortune and bodyparts are silly money.

The Chesterfield RS250cc was an animal of a bike to go and it was great through the corners indeed.I had a full Arrow exhaust system on mine and it really did make a difference.

My Ducati 996 is as small as the RS 250,but I must admit this, Id sell the 996 if I could get my hands on an absolutely mint low milage,non crashed RS250.

The lightness,the flickablity,the raw power,2 stroke scream and the smell.Nothing like it.:D

To be honest, if you're only planning to get a bike for the "summer months" I don't think it's worth it financially for you.

Before you even get on the bike or buy your gear, you're talking about €400 approximately to do the theory test and your IBT. Then depending on what level of protection you're looking for from your bike gear that's another €500 minimum and you'd be lucky to get a decent helmet and full set of leathers, gloves and boots for that.

Then you have your insurance costs, taxing the bike and buying the bike itself.

Take a CB400 for example, which is a fairly popular and decent sized starter bike, there's one on donedeal today for €1,300. Given your age it won't be as expensive to insure as it may be for younger people but lets say €400-€500.

Oh and on top of that, if you did decide to go for a CB400 or a CBR400RR you're looking at a further €250 approximately to get it restricted.

All of that expense just to get a bike for the "summer months"?

Well I mentioned for the summer months but I would probably use it year round on the occasions I didn't fancy taking the car.

Ill give myself a budget to buy, restrict and insure it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A 2nd hand Yamaha TDM 850,a Yamaha Fazer 600,a Suzuki Bandit 600 or even a Honda Hornet 600/250 and restrict any of them.

Still plenty of power and all very comfy and reliable to ride.

Even a CB500 would be a good choice of bike for a newbie.

Oh alll mentioned bikes can take a set of pannier cases or a top box too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Well I'd say judging by your username you'll always go for the car :p

Good luck with it anyway, I wasn't trying to put you off but biking certainly isn't a "summer months" commitment considering how expensive it now is starting off and considering what our "summer months" weather consists of :(

Well I'd say judging by your username you'll always go for the car :p

Good luck with it anyway, I wasn't trying to put you off but biking certainly isn't a "summer months" commitment considering how expensive it now is starting off and considering what our "summer months" weather consists of :(

Haha ye the car will have to remain but I need somthing fun on the side. Always fancied going for a blast over sallys gap on a motorbike. It will be a great excuse to skip mass:pac:

Hi again,

I'm abit confused about somthing in licensing. Back between 2000 and 2002 I had a provisional A1 license which I didn't renew because I got a car provisional instead. I got my full car license in August 2007 however I'm not sure if I have to do the IBT now because I already held a bike provisional for 2 years before. I'm looking for a permit in category A now.

I'm trying to get through to a helpline with no luck.

Anyone know if the IBT in my situation is compulsory as im not applying for my first bike learner license?

update: i got this from the RSA site...

Q: "If I hold a category A Learner Permit issued before 6 December 2010 and now want to do a category A1 driving test, do I need to do IBT?"

A: "No, the Learner Permit for licence category A exempts you, as you held it before 6 December 2010."

I guess I don't have to do the IBT now since I held a provisional permit A1 before 6 Dec 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Interesting post. I was meant to be starting my IBT tomorrow but now this got me thinking.

My learner permit arrived in the post and is dated from Feb 2006 until May 2014.

Interesting.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It says 'hold' (as in now) not 'held' (as in ever). You still need to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

update: i got this from the RSA site...

Q: "If I hold a category A Learner Permit issued before 6 December 2010 and now want to do a category A1 driving test, do I need to do IBT?"

A: "No, the Learner Permit for licence category A exempts you, as you held it before 6 December 2010."

I guess I don't have to do the IBT now since I held a provisional permit A1 before 6 Dec 2010?

Not sure on that one Mondeo, you have an A1 permit not A. I'd ring them to be 100% sure before I commit financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Vikings wrote: »
    Interesting post. I was meant to be starting my IBT tomorrow but now this got me thinking.

My learner permit arrived in the post and is dated from Feb 2006 until May 2014.

Interesting.

You don't have to do IBT. You must be on your 6/7th permit???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm abit confused about somthing in licensing. Back between 2000 and 2002 I had a provisional A1 license which I didn't renew because I got a car provisional instead.

That's no good to you now unfortunately, if you let a provisional licence lapse more than 5 years you have to start again from scratch. If you let a full licence lapse ten years, same thing!
    I got my full car license in August 2007 however I'm not sure if I have to do the IBT now because I already held a bike provisional for 2 years before. I'm looking for a permit in category A now.

If you'd kept your old bike provisional licence valid, you'd be ok, but as it's lapsed more than 5 years it effectively never existed, now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You don't have to do IBT. You must be on your 6/7th permit???

2nd. Its weird, I was told I had an A category on my provisional back in 2006. When I got my full car license in 07 I gave in my original provisional and it came back a full license - with no A category on it. But apparently that provisional A was still valid until 2008 (so the full 2 years). So this is my 2nd provisional A license... even though I thought it was only my first :pac:

ninja900 wrote: »
    If you'd kept your old bike provisional licence valid, you'd be ok, but as it's lapsed more than 5 years it effectively never existed, now.

Maybe, but maybe not! Ring the RSA on monday morning, give them your driver number and ask them what they say. They are the driving force behind the IBT. They told me I didn't need it so I didn't argue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madden101

hi, guys, I'm sixteen, not a small fella and have had a honda 125 scrambler for a year now, but I'm about to complete my theory etc and looking for advice on what bike would be suitable for me in the A1 category concerning cheap insurance tax reliability etc. Thanks for any help!

madden101 wrote: »
    hi, guys, I'm sixteen, not a small fella and have had a honda 125 scrambler for a year now, but I'm about to complete my theory etc and looking for advice on what bike would be suitable for me in the A1 category concerning cheap insurance tax reliability etc. Thanks for any help!

Well I got quoted 9,000 euro to insure my rs 125 at 18. Let me know how you get on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement