Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Company health insurance policy

Options
  • 16-05-2012 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Started a new job last month and one of the benefits is health insurace cover.

I currently have my own policy with Aviva (Level 1 Hospital) which I am paying for the last 8 months.

The Company policy is VHI Company Plan Plus select and will be paid by them on my behalf.

There is not alot of info online about the VHI Company Plan Plus, was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it?

Also if I was to cancel with Aviva and take up the VHI one does this mean I have a long waiting period again? or will I be instantly covered by virtue of having a policy with a rival?

I have no idea how this works. I know VHI have their critics but it would be great to make a monthly saving.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Company Plan Plus Level 1 is the plan that you are looking for. It would have a far superior level of benefits compared to Level1 Hospital.
    http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/search-result/89-22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Also if I was to cancel with Aviva and take up the VHI one does this mean I have a long waiting period again? or will I be instantly covered by virtue of having a policy with a rival?

VHI have to recognise your time spent with Aviva, as long as there isn't a break of more than 13 weeks in your cover. So they'll recognise the 8 months you've already been covered by Aviva.

Because you are upgrading your cover, there may be waiting periods on the additional cover that VHI offer, and the length of that time varies depending on your age and when the condition developed. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, but just bear it in mind and check cover with VHI before getting hospital treatment or expensive tests, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

broker2008 wrote: »
    Company Plan Plus Level 1 is the plan that you are looking for. It would have a far superior level of benefits compared to Level1 Hospital.
    http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/search-result/89-22

The worksheet I received and was required to fill out was very vague, and it was clearly headed- VHI Company plan plus Select. That is the name of the policy but I am unable to find any details on it.

I'm presuming it is distinct from the Company Plan Plus Level 1. Company healthy insurance is 9 times out of 10, the cheaper option

NuMarvel wrote: »
    VHI have to recognise your time spent with Aviva, as long as there isn't a break of more than 13 weeks in your cover. So they'll recognise the 8 months you've already been covered by Aviva.

Because you are upgrading your cover, there may be waiting periods on the additional cover that VHI offer, and the length of that time varies depending on your age and when the condition developed. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, but just bear it in mind and check cover with VHI before getting hospital treatment or expensive tests, etc.

i'm not sure i'm upgrading, im basically just changing policy to another provider to save money.

it may be a thing that i'm actually changing to one with less cover, its all very vague

any advice guys?

• Advertisement

Company Plan Plus Select is on the HIA website and is an upgrade against Aviva Level 1 Hospital. Same rules apply as previous post. It has higher inpatient cover on almost all levels, better outpatient benefits in general but not all and is more expensive.

Thanks very much for the info.

I have been paying insurance for a continuous period of 8 months (no breaks or claims) with Aviva, will this transfer across to my new company policy do you know?

cheers in advance

The periods served will be carried over. Check with your HR dept or vhi as to whether any waiting periods are waived with your particular scheme otherwise you will have 52 months left of pre existing waiting periods to serve. VHI dont waive upgrade waiting periods either unless your scheme has special dispensation.

Advertisement