Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quoted Distance Selling Regulations: Is it correct

• 16-05-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I purchased a pair of side bars for my SUV about 3 years ago from a UK company. In less than a year, the chrome finish came off the steps of the bars. I let it go too long to have them replaced through a guarantee, and paid out late last year for new steps. Now the exact same thing is happening to the replacement ones. This shold not happen at all, never mind in a few months, so I contacted the UK retailer. A replacement set is no longer available, and they offered me a discont on a new set of bars for £200 . I don't want a new set. I just want what I paid for to last longer than 6 months.

After a bit of to and fro via email I got this response:

These items are covered by any guarantee. You are covered by the distance selling regulation, but as this is over the six month period you would need to show that the defect was inherent at the time of purchase.

Now at the time of purchase they looked fine. It's like bying a telly, and it breaking down 6 months later and me trying to show that it had a defect from new.

Where do I stand on this? After reading about the Distance Selling Regulations, most answers refer to either a seven day cooling off period, or a 30 day retrn.

If I've made a mistake and should have done something about this earlier, I'll have to stand the loss, but surely there can be something done other than trying to prove a defect on something that looks perfect from new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

you should have 2 years recourse under european law which would cover this. distance selling only covers 'change of mind' returns. Faulty itens are covered by a different law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure about about the Distance Selling Regulations but have a look at this.

http://www.eccireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    you should have 2 years recourse under european law which would cover this. distance selling only covers 'change of mind' returns. Faulty itens are covered by a different law.

Yep. That's what I was coming up with when I read about distance selling regulations. I haven't changed my mind.
    Jarren wrote: »
    Not sure about about the Distance Selling Regulations but have a look at this.

http://www.eccireland.ie/

Thanks a handy link.

Thanks for your help. I didn't want to get into an heated debate with the retailer without having some understanding of what they were saying.

Advertisement