Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

• 16-05-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I've recently ordered magnet broadband. Today was the day they have down as delivered.

So i got home and stuck on my non standard dsl router (Netgear DG834G) and configured it as instructed:

LLC Based
    VPI 0
    VCI 35

I'm getting nothing in terms of internet connection though. No IP address, no DNS servers etc. I just get a modem status of: Connecting

They're saying they've checked and its switched on at the exchange and should be up and running. I told them my router is setup fine but they said they won't speak to me about it because its a non standard modem. They said they'll have a tech guy ring me back but could be up to 24hrs.

I'm convinced this isn't a problem on my end, but the guy was having none of it because the modem isn't standard.

Anyone any expeirence of a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Rang them back, as I never heard anything. They've agreed that its not switched on at the exchange (first guy obviously lied when he said he could see it was turned on at the exchange) and that they've logged a call with eircom about it.

I asked about the lead time but the guy couldn't tell me anything. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe longer.

This is the problem with resellers, they're waiting on eircom (a competitor) to fix this. Which means I'm down the list of calls no doubt.

When I was shopping around for broadband eircom told me they could have my dsl switched on within 5 days, Magnet said 10. So obviously eircom are putting their own customers first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Rang them back, as I never heard anything. They've agreed that its not switched on at the exchange (first guy obviously lied when he said he could see it was turned on at the exchange) and that they've logged a call with eircom about it.

I asked about the lead time but the guy couldn't tell me anything. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe longer.

This is the problem with resellers, they're waiting on eircom (a competitor) to fix this. Which means I'm down the list of calls no doubt.

When I was shopping around for broadband eircom told me they could have my dsl switched on within 5 days, Magnet said 10. So obviously eircom are putting their own customers first.

its the typical middle man scenario, with added latency :D

thats the problem with broadband in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

just avoid magnet - f'ing useless - bitter experience waiting for them to get there sh1t together for 2 months - cancelling and having a proper provider (smart) have me up and running in a week..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oceans12 wrote: »
    its the typical middle man scenario, with added latency :D

thats the problem with broadband in this country...
    It's not unique to this country though.

I have a subscription to c't, a German computer magazine, and they have a section in there reserved for stories about bad customer service. Problems with transferring phone / broadband services between suppliers including Deutsche Telekom are a regular occurrence, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Hi guys

Despite what has been said about Magnet above I am seriously considering going with them. Currently with Smart in Limerick with a max speed of 2MB download (you don't want to know upload!) - phoned them and they said that is all our line can handle (living in Castletroy, Limerick). Our next door neighbour has Magnet and is getting 18MB download speed consistently - very happy with the service he is getting.

My question is: If I am going to change what is the best/quickest way to go about it? Do I cancel with Smart first and then engage with Magnet (knowing that the line has been released etc.) or do I contact Magnet now and get them to contact Smart / Eircom etc..

What I don't want is to be without broadband for up to two months as I have heard can happen.

Thanks in advance

Mr TTime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

Hi Guys,

Please feel free to PM your details if you want some assistance with your issues, I can certainly look into them and try and move them along.

Thanks

Gary

Have you configured the modem correctly? 0/35 is correct but you also need to disable PPPoE and use RFC 1483/2684 bridge mode instead.

Advertisement