Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick st renovations?

• 16-05-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Any one know what's going on at patrick st? There's scaffolding along the majority of the block. Are they just sprucing the place up for a potential tenant or is there something bigger planned for the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

is the opera centre started? i read that the site clearence was to begin around now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Probably going to hang a portrait of Richard Lynch.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

dave 27 wrote: »
    is the opera centre started? i read that the site clearence was to begin around now

According to the Leader, work has started on preserving some of the historic buildings.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/1m-conservation-fund-to-kickstart-limerick-s-opera-centre-1-3841269

It will be 'years' before proper work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Heard that they are making the buildings safe as they are starting to deteriorate. Likes of removing all the fascia, old business signs and windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The glass is being replaced with sheets of plywood :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hope they paint panes of glass and flowers etc on them. That'll fool the tourists. Anyone remember the creepy one that used to be on Thomas Street?

Boarded up door had a picture of an old lady peeking out of the door. Scared a drunken friend at one stage.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The glass is being replaced with sheets of plywood :rolleyes:

Great, at least the local graffiti "artists" will have yet another playground to spray their unintelligible names and scrawls on.

They've done so much of late to enhance the citys appearance it can almost be described as the Athens of the North. The Greek capital seems equally infested judging by recent pictures from there. :rolleyes:

I suppose bulldozing those rat-infested crumbling edifices on Patrick and Ellen Streets, even to temporarily create an open space (if only to curse the darkness of that area) is beyond the thinkng of our munificent Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well I'd definately be against bulldozing them. First of all the huge hole in the city would look terrible and secondly it would ruin the character of the area (Arthurs Quay springs to mind). Certainly bulldoze the middle of the site but keep the facade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd love to see how the inside looks after being derelict for so long

Advertisement