Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug a Fermenter without a tap

Options
  • 16-05-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

hello all seems daft but im hoping maybe I can plug up a fermenter barrel that has the hole cut out for a tap. I ordered 6 from homebrewwest and they all arrived without taps and all have holes. so im unable to start my wine kit :mad: just wondering is their anything I can do or will I just have to wait for new taps arrive. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can plug it with anything foodgrade that fits and is properly sanitised. You'll need a syphon to get the stuff out as well mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

thanks for the reply I have a syphon so just wondering what I could use to plug the hole like a household item that wont leak?? wouldn't mind starting this kit tonight as its my first. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Westwood wrote: »
    thanks for the reply I have a syphon so just wondering what I could use to plug the hole like a household item that wont leak?? wouldn't mind starting this kit tonight as its my first. :o

First thing that popped into my head was a big ball of clingfilm. Sterlise a sheet of it, then roll it into a ball using sterile gloves and stuff it in. I'm guessing that would do the job fine. You could secure on the outside with tape if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Wine cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Were you supposed to get taps? I would wait on the taps if they're coming to be honest. Syphoning is a pain in the arse compared to using the taps IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

if you didn't want taps then you should really return them to the seller.
    Taps in fermentors are just another place for nasty bacteria to hide out, far better off having a normal bucket and use a syphon

Thanks for the replies. they sent 6 buckets with holes. no mention of taps. some came free when you bought a wine kit. I ended up using 2 baby milk dispensers with a rubber washer in the middle... worked a charm lol

31DX0V9ER5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

have since sent me 4 new taps free of charge. but obviously were trying to get rid of their holey buckets on me.

thanks again for replies. 3 fermenters going at the moment. :)

Homebrewwest sent new taps next day by delivery and resolved other issues I had, would recommend them. :)

Advertisement