Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help training my dog

• 16-05-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've a 5 year old springer spaniel and shes abit crazy. This was never a problem before except for excessive barking while walking and pulling.
    But now I've moved into a new house with the boyfriend, he's come with his three cats who are abit nervous. I also brought a cat but the dog is best friends with him.
    She's so excited by the new cats she's started keening and barking when she sees them, then she runs at them. I'm worried what she'll do if she catches one.
    She's never been wicked or attacked a cat but then she grew up with my one.

I'm considering a dog trainer, if anyone knew of a good one in Wexford?
    Or maybe all we need is some advice. I'm at the end of my wits here, its awful being in a house where you have to keep pets separate.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

At 5 you would expect her to be a little calmer but i'm not sure with springers.

First things you need to look at is what food is she on and how much excerise she gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dee111284

She eats dry complete dog nuts, most of the time.
    She probably doesn't get enough exercise for her breed, but she gets a half hour run with me every evening, and a longer one on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's hard - my house had a 3 way seperation of pets for a few months last year, and it's really only in the last couple of months that we've finally achieved integration...
    My dog reacts differently to each of my cats, depending on how scared they are of him. I kept a lead on him in the house to begin with to ensure that he never had a chance to chase (it was a lot harder to control outside though). Main thing is never let him chase, and reward him with high value treats for good behaviour. If he's barking at them, wait till he stops for a few seconds and treat him. He'll learn that when he sees the cats he gets a treat for staying quiet. It does work, I have one cat that I absolutely won't tolerate the dog messing with and he's learned that if he stays on his bed while she walks by, I give him something super yummy afterwards. Now he hurries to his bed when he sees her coming:)
    I found the cat to cat introductions much harder - some of my cats prefer the dog to each other. How are they getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dee111284

Ive actually been doing that, keeping her on a lead in doors and rewarding with treats. It has been helping, but shes just so stubborn. after a month shes still on a lead.
    The cats are getting on ok aslong as they dont end up in the same corner, then we get some hissing and swiping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

would you consider putting up baby gates to create safe zones around the house for the cats? Perhaps one at the bottom the stairs and another across the door of a utility room or bedroom or wherever you keep the cats beds and food. That way they'll always have somewhere safe to retreat to. It worked well for my cats and dogs. Eventually the dogs got used to the cats and pretty much left them alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

a month isn't really that long:( though I didn't have any barking, that's probably really annoying.
    +1 for the baby gate, I still have one up. Took out one of the bars so the cats can get thru, but not the dog.
    Keep at it, hopefully the excitement will wear off. Have you ever tried to teach the dog to bark on command? If you can do that it's supposed to be easier to for the dog to learn to be quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

planetX wrote: »
    Took out one of the bars so the cats can get thru, but not the dog.
    :pac: You can get them with flaps for the cat.. I think my guy would try and put his head thu and get stuck!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bettacare-Effective-Barrier-Extensions-Available/dp/B0017PICQG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337262822&sr=8-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What brand of dog nuts are you feeding? Whats the protein level?

Advertisement