Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my 5 year old son wants to go shooting

Options
  • 16-05-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title says, my young fella wants to come out to watch us shooting:D I was always worried that the "bambi effect" would be a problem but apparently not. He's dead keen so I'm going to bring along to a clay shoot on saturday. He just got his first fishing rod and LOVES it so, hopefully,he will take to the shooting the same way. I'll bring him out to a bunny hot spot soon and test the waters. To anyone with young kids, ye could not get them into a better way of life. It teaches discipline and responsibility and also it shows them how to appreciate the wonderful countryside we live in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

my young fella is the same. mad about shooting he is nearly 5 now ,so wont belong untill he is headin out with me although herself is not to keen on it:rolleyes: be sure to keep us informed on how he gets on and enjoy your day out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Great stuff! make sure to get him hearing protection though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Brought my 5 year old out about 2 months ago for the day, lovely and sunny, spent hours out shooting crows. Just thinking of what a great time it was with him brings a smile to my face. Highly recommend for some seriously good memories!

On a side note, the book "gun proof your kids" by Massad ayoob is worth a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've a daughter and two sons, the eldest is ten, the youngest is seven and all have been out with me before they were six. They've seen rabbits, pigeon and foxes being shot. They've helped gutting, skinning and plucking and the and the only thing that has happened is increased curiosity.

The oldest son ( 9 year old ) is the real culchie and shooting man, he's even arguing with other kids in his class who believe that shooting is cruel telling them that they haven't got a clue what they're talking about proceeding telling them how they should shoot game and where to aim on deer and foxes and smugly telling them that rabbit curry and deer steaks are his favourite meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

my older boys 10 & 11 love coming out, the 6 year old daughter didn't like the idea of daddy shooting the birds, but for my my 2 year old, she can't look at a bird without shouting at it saying her daddy is going to blow its head off, She worries me.

Understand minor's can't shoot, but this was done in a controlled environment outside of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I am waiting on a licence for a .22 and my 7 year old girl can't wait to go "bunny hunting" as she calls it.

Last month I was bringing in 3 goats from the van and had 2 of them in the shed when the 5 year old girl came running in saying mammy, mammy he got a cute white one aswell.

Their favourite meal is Santa's Reindeer meat, but of course not the ones that pull the sleigh.;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I used to cry if me da wouldn't bring me with him ,looking back now he was right i was only 5/6 :) and no way i could walk through ploughed fields all day rough shooting.He did bring me out to woods for roost shooting to keep me happy.He let me gut them as-well for peace sake.
    I started going out for full days when i was 10 and i carried all the pheasants and rabbits around after they had been shot.
    Then when i was 14 became a junior member in the club and started to use his gun.
    One thing though make sure that the kid is wearing hearing protection im only 31 and my hearing is ****ed from shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

In my own case, as a child whose father brought him shooting and as a father who brings his sons shooting, I think it’s great as it introduces the kids to the guns and removes a lot of the mystery and temptation that can and has been in some cases the ‘curiosity that killed the cat’ .
    LukeTheHunter06.jpg
    The kids will make up their own mind in relation to what they want to do. The oldest lad has discovered women so everything else is put on the back boiler at the moment, while my youngest (who by the way is a serious horror fan, so this dispels the serial killer theory) has expressed no interest in hunting and prefers target shooting and plinking.
    IMAG0140.jpg

Both kids recognise and enjoy the bounty of my hunts (when I do connect) and fully understand animals equal food ( it is amazing how sanitised society has become when it comes to food – milk and burgers come from the shop with no connection with living animals)
    On a lighter note don’t do what I did one day and end up carrying gun, a full game bag and child back across the fields to the car, little legs tire easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tonytoc11

I was out following my uncles around at that age. I didn't fire a gun until I was 15 but I used love heading off with them knowing that I'd eventually get the chance. The one rule was I always stayed a couple of yards behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My eldest gas no interest but the 4 year old is gun mad. He has not been out with me because heraelf says no way but he helps me clean the guns every time i come home, he knows all thw parts of the rifle and shotgun, checks they are clear as soon as he picks them up and shows me he has done it then helps me clean them. Its great because his curiosity seems to be filled by helping me clean them because he gets to touch them so he has not asked to come yet but when he does start asking mammy will have to suck it up :)

LR, enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Fantastic to see the sport has a future.

In my own case, as a child whose father brought him shooting and as a father who brings his sons shooting, I think it’s great as it introduces the kids to the guns and removes a lot of the mystery and temptation that can and has been in some cases the ‘curiosity that killed the cat’ .
    LukeTheHunter06.jpg
    The kids will make up their own mind in relation to what they want to do. The oldest lad has discovered women so everything else is put on the back boiler at the moment, while my youngest (who by the way is a serious horror fan, so this dispels the serial killer theory) has expressed no interest in hunting and prefers target shooting and plinking.
    IMAG0140.jpg

Both kids recognise and enjoy the bounty of my hunts (when I do connect) and fully understand animals equal food ( it is amazing how sanitised society has become when it comes to food – milk and burgers come from the shop with no connection with living animals)
    On a lighter note don’t do what I did one day and end up carrying gun, a full game bag and child back across the fields to the car, little legs tire easily.

I regularly use a lovely overgrown dry ( most of the year ) ditch for pigeon shooting and the oldest son always falls asleep in there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in shooting guns (apart from a stag party where we went to a Prague shooting range I have never shot weapons) and though I am shocked at the notion of bringing kids along to a hunt etc, I read with interest the comments here. I know nothing of this activity and wouldn't want a loaded weapon within a mile or me let alone my son and I'm sure its "safe" etc I do not for a minute understand the notion of children and lethal weapons

But like I said I know nothing of this activity so I read with interest as an outsider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

beeroclock wrote: »
    I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in shooting guns (apart from a stag party where we went to a Prague shooting range I have never shot weapons) and though I am shocked at the notion of bringing kids along to a hunt etc, I read with interest the comments here. I know nothing of this activity and wouldn't want a loaded weapon within a mile or me let alone my son and I'm sure its "safe" etc I do not for a minute understand the notion of children and lethal weapons

But like I said I know nothing of this activity so I read with interest as an outsider

This will be slightly off point but here goes, I have fished sea and fresh water as long as I can remember, scuba dived since the age of 15, owned knives,bows and other sharp objects for ever, had my fingers in the guts of all the fish or animals I 've being lucky to catch and am still here today with all my fingers and toes thanks to the care and teaching of my father. There are far more dangurous activities out there that parents allow thier children to do either alone or in the company of strangers (cycling, skate boarding, contact sports, swimming lessons). I wouldn't even try to say that hunting is a every day need in our modern life but it is an activity and any activity that promotes bonding, awareness, exploration and of course disapline both in the skills of shooting and safety can only be looked upon as positive and productive in any child's life.

Beeroclock, thanks for popping in and having a look and personaly speaking I would consider it understandable that as an outsider to the hunting aspect of the shooting community you could be a bit "shocked" as you describe. But I also dare say that you never realy knew that there's thousands of people in Ireland who are owners of thousands of legaly held firearms that are used on a very regular basis either for hunting in open field and forrest or for target shooting on very highly organised and strictly regulated ranges.

For example your use of the word weapon is a word that seldom or never features in the target shooter's or hunter's vocabulary for the simple reason that a weapon is an implement used for inflicting violence on humans ( could be lawful or not ) and none of our guns are licenced or held for that purpose. The only people in Ireland that have lawful possession of firearms for use as weapons are state organisations like the Defence Forces and the Garda Siochana.

Situations like you have encountered in Prague simply don't exist here. There's no way you can walk into a range in Ireland, pay a few quid and get your hands on a pistol, revolver or assault rifle and rattle away at possibly human shaped targets. That sort of activity is highly illegal here.

The safety aspect of using firearms that are potentialy lethal to humans when misused is something that should be the first issue in every shooter's mind. I'm not much of a target shooter so I wouldn't be very up to date with rifle ranges and clay grounds but when out in the field there's a few things one should always be aware of mainly;

1) The gun always points in a safe direction when carried. For a shotgun that means in the air or to the ground in front of your feet. For a rifle it's always to the ground as rifle bullets have a long range.

2) Guns are never carried loaded when crossing roads or public places or when transported in the car.

3) Guns are open ( impossible to fire ) when negotiating obstacles.

4) Safety catch comes off at the last moment before taking a shot.

5) A gun will never be fired if there's any uncertainty as to where the shot will fall and what's in it's path ( never shoot through hedges, in the direction of houses, farm sheds, cattle or sheep etc etc ).

6) And above all, unless disassembled guns are to be treated as loaded all the time so under no circumstances will it point in the direction of a human being at any time. That means no swinging the barrels accross a shooting buddy while tracking an animal for a shot, cleaning always with the barrels pointing in a safe direction etc etc

Personaly I have no knowledge of hunting linked fatalities in Ireland for as long as I've lived here which is well over ten years but having said that just like any activity it's not accident free and there quite likely have been a small number of injury incidents I've no knowledge of but hand on heart when done properly using a firearm in the field should pose no danger to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Ok, here we go..........
    1. We do not refer to our firearms as "weapons". Weapons are, by definition,something used to deliberately cause harm to another person. If you try to kill someone with your car then it too should be called a weapon.
    2. We are safe, responsible people(well, the VAST majority of us) and would never knowingly put our childrens welfare at risk.
    3. Children are far more likely to be injured or killed by stupidity in the home, ie. Tools left lying around or a balcony door left unlocked, or on the farm, ie.quad bikes,tractor pto shafts, animals etc.
    4. If you have no interest in shooting, then why the hell are you reading a shooting forum?!
    If you are so concerned about child safety then go and lecture those involved in farming, horse riding, football, cycling, motocross, surfing and all the other dangerous things people let their kids near!:rolleyes::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My four year old knows more about gun safety than all of my non shooting friends. With proper supervision and education kids using guns is not a problem.

Well said steve

Not only do we introduce our kids to a safe and rewarding pastime but they also get know where meat comes from. Meat does not come wrapped from the supermarket or butchers but from the killing and butchering of animals and if I want hunt and butcher it myself and introduce my kids to it that is my business.

I have being going hunting with my father since I was about 5 years old that is over 40 years ago ( no accidents or a hint of one). I also have being going fishing with him for the same lenght of time and my childern love to come out in the boat with me. Should I let them on the pier incase the fall into the sea?

How may childern have being killed or injured in their own garden in the last few years???

How many have being killed or injured out hunting with firearms?

NONE.

Longranger wrote: »
    Ok, here we go..........
    1. We do not refer to our firearms as "weapons". Weapons are, by definition,something used to deliberately cause harm to another person. If you try to kill someone with your car then it too should be called a weapon.
    2. We are safe, responsible people(well, the VAST majority of us) and would never knowingly put our childrens welfare at risk.
    3. Children are far more likely to be injured or killed by stupidity in the home, ie. Tools left lying around or a balcony door left unlocked, or on the farm, ie.quad bikes,tractor pto shafts, animals etc.
    4. If you have no interest in shooting, then why the hell are you reading a shooting forum?!
    If you are so concerned about child safety then go and lecture those involved in farming, horse riding, football, cycling, motocross, surfing and all the other dangerous things people let their kids near!:rolleyes::mad:

On point 4 - I can peruse what I like - it happened to be on the main page and caught my eye

You seem to think I am "lecturing", I can assure you I am not, what others do is none of my business - to reiterate it was with curiosity I looked at thread not with the purpose of lecturing, castigating or anything else of that sort

Thanks for replies guys it opened my eyes as I knew nothing of this sport, cheers for taking the time to share the info

• Advertisement

On point 4 - I can peruse what I like - it happened to be on the main page and caught my eye

You seem to think I am "lecturing", I can assure you I am not, what others do is none of my business - to reiterate it was with curiosity I looked at thread not with the purpose of lecturing, castigating or anything else of that sort

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I hope that you can understand my attitude to your post. Over the years, we have been lectured, painted as irresponsible, chastised and plain downright insulted by the non-shooting community and as a result, some of us, obviously myself included, tend to take a somewhat grim view of people who appear to judge us because of our sport. If I came across as defensive or angry I apologize. Please don't take it as a personal attack.
    If people can understand that shooting is no more dangerous than any other sport, then perhaps the shooting community would have less grief to put up with. We are not gun-toting lunatics. We are responsible people who just happen to take part in a sport which utilises tools which are feared and misunderstood by those who do not partake.
    Again, sorry if I offended you,but I stand my ground.......shooting is perfectly safe if you have a bit of cop-on.

Thanks for replies guys it opened my eyes as I knew nothing of this sport, cheers for taking the time to share the info

If you have any questions I definitely will not have any problem trying to answer them and I suppose a lot of lads in here will be exactly the same. After all we're doing nothing illegal and anyone who comes in here with good intentions looking for a bit of info will be accomodated by most.

If you want to get a taste of shooting in Ireland book yourself a session with one of the commercial clay grounds and you can get a feel for what shooting ranges over here are like and you'll get some one on one coaching as well because those folk don't let anyone out without a qualified staff member.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I hope that you can understand my attitude to your post. Over the years, we have been lectured, painted as irresponsible, chastised and plain downright insulted by the non-shooting community and as a result, some of us, obviously myself included, tend to take a somewhat grim view of people who appear to judge us because of our sport. If I came across as defensive or angry I apologize. Please don't take it as a personal attack.
    If people can understand that shooting is no more dangerous than any other sport, then perhaps the shooting community would have less grief to put up with. We are not gun-toting lunatics. We are responsible people who just happen to take part in a sport which utilises tools which are feared and misunderstood by those who do not partake.
    Again, sorry if I offended you,but I stand my ground.......shooting is perfectly safe if you have a bit of cop-on.

To be honest as soon as I re-read your post I was thinking god knows how many people have come into this forum on their high horses casting dispersion's on shooting so I totally understand where you are coming from. From reading the replies I couldn't agree more with "we are not gun-toting lunatics" and the responses have been very insightful to an outsider

You didn't insult me in the slightest :) and if the opportunity ever arose I think Id like to give it a lash

Thanks!

If you have any questions I definitely will not have any problem trying to answer them and I suppose a lot of lads in here will be exactly the same. After all we're doing nothing illegal and anyone who comes in here with good intentions looking for a bit of info will be accomodated by most.

If you want to get a taste of shooting in Ireland book yourself a session with one of the commercial clay grounds and you can get a feel for what shooting ranges over here are like and you'll get some one on one coaching as well because those folk don't let anyone out without a qualified staff member.

thanks alot Stevie much obliged

To be honest as soon as I re-read your post I was thinking god knows how many people have come into this forum on their high horses casting dispersion's on shooting so I totally understand where you are coming from. From reading the replies I couldn't agree more with "we are not gun-toting lunatics" and the responses have been very insightful to an outsider

You didn't insult me in the slightest :) and if the opportunity ever arose I think Id like to give it a lash

Thanks!

Fair play:)thanks for the reply. I hope that some day you will take the chance to pick up a firearm and see how much fun it is and how easy and safe it is also. If I can ever answer any questions for you please don't hesitate to ask.
    All the best.
    LR

Fair play:)thanks for the reply. I hope that some day you will take the chance to pick up a firearm and see how much fun it is and how easy and safe it is also. If I can ever answer any questions for you please don't hesitate to ask.
    All the best.
    LR

Thanks alot :)

and we are all lovey dovey again, awh.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

president.gif

:eek::eek: no infractions, no bannings and no thread closed, how has it come to this!!! :D

Spunk84 wrote: »
    president.gif

:eek::eek: no infractions, no bannings and no thread closed, how has it come to this!!! :D

As Van the man said"wouldn't it be great ie it was like this all the time" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We must be losing our touch!!!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement