Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo border

Options
  • 16-05-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting a bamboo border between mine and neighbours house. It's a failrly shady spot with large trees on their side. I'm looking to make a well isolated raised bed and I'm lloking for a fairly vigerous evergreen which spreads by runner and will be around 10 feet tall.
    Anyone know which type I should go for and what kind of price I should look to pay to do a stretch forty feet long by three feet wide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Clementine2010

I planted Golden bamboo grows to 5 or 6 metres high and wide, we have a fence which means it will probably go under and send shoots into neighbors garden, I'm hoping he'll be glad as they cost a fortune. By the way I bought some that were about 8 ft tall and cost nearly a hundred euro, I bought small ones (couple of inches high) from Johnstown Garden Centre for €14 reach and they're flying along.

I think black bamboo grows as tall as the golden kind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bamboo can be a very invasive plant and can give your neighbours serious problems too.

Just be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

That golden bamboo sounds ideal and I'm not too worried about the neighbour as he has trees and hedges along our border which are fairly wild and overgrown. I'd be amazed if he ever notices what I'm up to

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

Another quick question for you. I've started looking around and the guy from my local garden centre said I need damp soil or else they'll dry out and die.
    Is your soil particularly wet or do you find yourself constantly having to break out the hose.
    I'm thinking if I'm going to all this trouble I don't want to have to be out watering all summer

I dont' know whether my soil is damp or not as it rains most of the time in this country anyway. I do look after them when its hot this week I've been watering them in the morning and evening, as they're new so until they get established I'll give them a lot of TLC.

They're starting to fly along though, soon I'll have great privacy around the back of my house and sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I dont' know whether my soil is damp or not as it rains most of the time in this country anyway. I do look after them when its hot this week I've been watering them in the morning and evening, as they're new so until they get established I'll give them a lot of TLC.

They're starting to fly along though, soon I'll have great privacy around the back of my house and sides.

I presume you planted them this year , from a few inches what size do you reckon they'll be by the end of the year? Are they in a sheltered spot?

Mm they're all along the walls so not really sheltered and full sun parts of the day. Planted 9ft ones last September and they're only starting to shoot up now, planted little Golden bamboos I bought for €14 in Johnstown Garden Centrea about 6 weeks ago and they are flying. Shouldn't have spent nearly a hundred quid each on the big ones and just planted small ones as they seem to be growing 10 times faster.

Advertisement