Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Welders / Fabricators going to Saskatoon

Options
  • 16-05-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

Anyone heading for Saskatoon.

I have a job secured as a welder out there and looking to know others out there or heading there.

I see there is a Regina face book page set up, but nothing for Sask.

Still waiting on the nomination, but here's hoping.

Any of you go to the expo and get a job offer? and how is your application for SINP coming along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Also, does anyone know about exchanging your irish license for a canadian on in Saskatoon?

Is car insurance expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You can't exchange an Irish licence for a Canadian one. You have to do your test out there again. Car insurance is expensive in Canada, some provincial governmens control insurance so there's no competition. I think the provincial government in Saskatchewan controls insurance there.

You can't exchange an Irish licence for a Canadian one. You have to do your test out there again. Car insurance is expensive in Canada, some provincial governmens control insurance so there's no competition. I think the provincial government in Saskatchewan controls insurance there.

Ok, I got a reply from SGI Saskatchewan. You are incorrect with that info. The rest of canada may be like that, but sasatchewan have signed a reciprocity agreement to allow irish people do this. Only got my reply today.

I will post full email below

a) Saskatchewan has signed reciprocity agreements with certain approved off-shore countries. The Republic of Ireland is a country with which Saskatchewan does have reciprocal agreement. A driver from Ireland will be granted a full Class 5 driver's licence (and a motorcycle endorsement if so endorsed) in Saskatchewan, without re-testing. You will be required to present a valid driver's licence and present a current driver's abstract/record.
    New residents must obtain a Saskatchewan driver's licence and insurance within 90 days of moving to the province or the expiry date of their home driver's licence, whichever comes first. If a driver uses their home driver's licence/insurance beyond this specified time period, they risk compromising the insurance on the vehicle they are driving.

In order to obtain a Saskatchewan driver's licence, there are certain residency and identification requirements that must be met. I invite you to access the following link for details: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/licensing/getyourlicence/acceptabledocuments.html

b) In Saskatchewan, we have a Safe Driver Recognition program, which rewards safe drivers by providing a discount on their vehicle insurance. http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/registration/rates/financialdiscounts.html

To inquire about the rate and insurance fees for your vehicle, you may access the rate calculator from our website: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/online_services/rate/index.html

These rates are for the basic registration and insurance package that comes with Saskatchewan licence plates-$700 deductible and $200, 000 third party liability. To lower your deductible and provide extra coverage, you can buy additional insurance for your vehicle, also known as a package policy through SGI CANADA or through another insurance company. If you wish to purchase an SGI CANADA Auto Pak, you may access this link for additional information: http://www.sgicanada.ca/sk/auto/index.html. You may contact any broker to discuss what insurance packages will best suit your needs.

d) In order for any applicable discount to be added to your file, we will require a Plate Record or a Claims Free History report. This would be obtained from your broker, the company with whom you held your insurance in Ireland. Unfortunately, a driver's abstract is not sufficient for this purpose.

After you have acquired a Saskatchewan Driver's licence, you may fax your Plate Record/Claims Free History report to (306) 757-0197. Please include your Saskatchewan driver's licence number on your documents. (Please note, that if there are claims listed on the Plate record, they will be added to your Saskatchewan driving record, in which case, you may not want to submit it).

e) You may locate your nearest motor licence issuing office to change over your driver's licence at this link: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/online_services/locators/issuer/index.html.

Sincerely,

Nadine Williams
    Fair Practices Office
    SGI Head Office
    Regina SK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Glad to see a Canadian province with a bit of sense. I know British Columbia and Alberta make you sit your test again...at least they did when I was there last year.

• Advertisement

Ya it looks like Saskatchewan are leading the way.

We want all you irish to come work here, but we are gonna make everything hard, just wasnt working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BUTTERFLYCONRON

hey guys...there is a a facebook page called IRISHSTEW IN SASKATOON, check it out its great. Also yes u can change over your drivers licences in saskatoon since about 3/4 weeks ago...just get a driving history from your local drivers licencing dept and take ur irish licence too, and they will do it for you.

hey guys...there is a a facebook page called IRISHSTEW IN SASKATOON, check it out its great. Also yes u can change over your drivers licences in saskatoon since about 3/4 weeks ago...just get a driving history from your local drivers licencing dept and take ur irish licence too, and they will do it for you.

Thats brilliant.
    Are you out there already? Hows life there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bcool

I am also in Regina and yes the earlier post about transferring licence is true. However if you have a hgv licence you do need to resit the test (1A) but you do get the class 5 licence(car) straight away.
    Been here 5 weeks. IF Anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

bcool wrote: »
    I am also in Regina and yes the earlier post about transferring licence is true. However if you have a hgv licence you do need to resit the test (1A) but you do get the class 5 licence(car) straight away.
    Been here 5 weeks. IF Anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

I have a question/s. How nice is it there. Are you fitting in, is there good social life, was it hard to fit in at work?

• Advertisement

Just opened SINP and we have our nomination. wooohooo. Now the fun starts.

Any one making a move on the residency visa or work permits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I have a question/s. How nice is it there. Are you fitting in, is there good social life, was it hard to fit in at work?

Social Life is not that good, there really is only 2 or 3 real pubs in Regina Or Sask, people are very friendly, but the landscape is very grey and very very cold in winter but i enjoyed it, most people will fit in there to be honest but it takes a bit of a effort.

Social Life is not that good, there really is only 2 or 3 real pubs in Regina Or Sask, people are very friendly, but the landscape is very grey and very very cold in winter but i enjoyed it, most people will fit in there to be honest but it takes a bit of a effort.

Ah im sure we will get on fine. Once there is a few bars and restaurants we are happy. We can go to cinema and hockey games and stuff to.

I see alot of the bars online do different promotion nights and deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

Hey everyone.

Anyone heading for Saskatoon.

I have a job secured as a welder out there and looking to know others out there or heading there.

I see there is a Regina face book page set up, but nothing for Sask.

Still waiting on the nomination, but here's hoping.

Any of you go to the expo and get a job offer? and how is your application for SINP coming along?

hi im a boilermaker/welder im 40 and have many years in the game as a tig, mig , mma welder and fabricatior/ boilermaker, i worked in the mines in oz but never in canada but i know a fella who did and he lasted 16 weeks couldnt wait to get home!!! , i can only tell you what he told me please dont look at this as a doom and gloom story but as a snipit of the facts ,

He told me it was a bit of a nightmare, he could only work nights because of the rules , very few irish on the job most where from china, romania and eastern europe most could not speak english , he had to do 10hr days overtime was a must pushing his hours to a 60 -70hr working week , he was on $25 flat , he said it was expensive to live a very dull place and very cold , he said the work was hard and it was head down all day with very little rest, he said there was not much going on after hours but the weekends where nice for traveling around the area ,

i really found the expos to be a bit of a spoof and the hard facts are not put on the table about oz or canada , i have to say oz was no handy number for a boilermaker/welder , you have to work bloody hard to have the good life we all hear about and you have to be on big money to live it , im home now in ireland a few years working and very happy , i dont think i will ever leave ireland again to find work unless im forced to go again!

i hope everything works out for you and your family on your travels

all the best :)

hi im a boilermaker/welder im 40 and have many years in the game as a tig, mig , mma welder and fabricatior/ boilermaker, i worked in the mines in oz but never in canada but i know a fella who did and he lasted 16 weeks couldnt wait to get home!!! , i can only tell you what he told me please dont look at this as a doom and gloom story but as a snipit of the facts ,

He told me it was a bit of a nightmare, he could only work nights because of the rules , very few irish on the job most where from china, romania and eastern europe most could not speak english , he had to do 10hr days overtime was a must pushing his hours to a 60 -70hr working week , he was on $25 flat , he said it was expensive to live a very dull place and very cold , he said the work was hard and it was head down all day with very little rest, he said there was not much going on after hours but the weekends where nice for traveling around the area ,

i really found the expos to be a bit of a spoof and the hard facts are not put on the table about oz or canada , i have to say oz was no handy number for a boilermaker/welder , you have to work bloody hard to have the good life we all hear about and you have to be on big money to live it , im home now in ireland a few years working and very happy , i dont think i will ever leave ireland again to find work unless im forced to go again!

i hope everything works out for you and your family on your travels

all the best :)

Thanks for sharing. It is good to get all sides of the story.
    And of course, if it doesnt work out we can come home.

Thankfully I will be in a factory and not the mines. that wouldn't be for me.

From what have been reading some people love to be away, some cant wait to come home.

Any body else heading that way? or gone already. Would liek to hear any and all stories

Any body else heading that way? or gone already. Would liek to hear any and all stories

• Registered Users Posts: 5 donegal456

Hi,

Husband was offered a job at RDS in March, both in our mid 40's with two teenage children, not sure what to do. Applied through SINP very long process, now trying for work permit, he is planning to go over first if the work permit comes through, all very slow and forms a nightmare to complete. Job is in Saskatoon, all very daunting. Have you moved over there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

DO YOU KNOW ANY GLAZIERS I NEED TO FIND OUT A FEW THINGS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 e.i.assassin

Hello my name is Tomas
    I got offer to work in Saskatoon as a Welder(aluminum) in this company: http://www.advanceengineeredproducts.com/
    I just wanna ask about Saskatoon. How is it there? Life?people? Leisure? just in general how do you find living there? Maybe have some advice for me shannon guy??
    I wound this job on FAS. The company name is Lawlor Associates recruitment Limited based in Dundalk
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Darac32

Hello
    I have been offered a job in Regina and am just wondering what you think about it after living there as long as you have now.If I do accept the job offer which is likely I will be traveling there and setting up on my own so any advice you could offer me would be most appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Dara.

Advertisement