Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: where to emigrate to in canada?

• 16-05-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey folks, basically myself and the misses are planning to take ourselves and the 2 kids over to canada for a better standard of living blah blah, big problem is where's a good place? where are all the jobs? we are just drawing a blank as to where we should look, dont really like the idea of the huge cities like toronto, vancouver etc... st johns in newfoundland seems decent and quiet, plenty of pubs, but as i said we havent a clue, so anyone with experience of the place and stories of what it was like settling in and so on would be much appreciated... really any advice atall lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

British Columbia for construction.

Saskatchewan and alberta seem to be the main up and comers with a great standard of living and lower costs (so i have heard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Vancouver has work but it is a very competitive market for job search and cost of living is high.

Alberta has higher rates of pay (generally) and slightly lowest cost of living but not much lower. Lots of work in Alberta in construction / trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

What are the job markets like in Vancouver for Insurance & Asset Finance?

When you say cost of living is higher in Vancouver do you mean rent/public transport/pubs/bars/cafe's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

What are the job markets like in Vancouver for Insurance & Asset Finance?

When you say cost of living is higher in Vancouver do you mean rent/public transport/pubs/bars/cafe's?

Yea rent, groceries, eating out are all more expensive than Alberta but it's not a huge gap in pricing. In terms of eating out, the biggest factor is BC's 14% sales tax versus 5% in Alberta.

When I moved to Calgary I was able to rent a 2 bed apartment for the price of a 1 bed in Vancouver. Although i think rental prices in Calgary are definitely climbing.

Vancouver is a fantastic place to live if you have a good job. And even at that, if you are intending to move there permanently it is extremely expensive to buy a house so you'd have to be making really decent money. I mention this because the Original Poster was talking about moving the whole family over so it doesn't sound like a casual thing for just a year or so.

As for the question about demand for Insurance professionals - I think that it is a career that is in demand in both BC and Alberta but I don't have any first hand experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wriggler

thanks for the replys folks! anybody have any experience in newfoundland?

• Advertisement

im in securtiy at the moment, and the wife teaches first aid. we have 2 young kids aswell so really looking for some stability over there!

what about the whole application process for visas. can you apply to become a citizen straight away? we are looking to move there indefinitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

I think you apply for resident visa then after 4 or 5 years you can apply for citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You cant become a citizen straight away. You'll only get to stay there indefinitely if you have skills that are in short supply in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bernzie

I have got an offer for work in Edmonton on an initial two year contract where they will help me with relocation and sort my visa for me. The problems im having are deciding whether to move my wife and daughter away from all family and whether or not the move will be financially beneficial in the long run. Like will I just be working to pay the mortgage here like im already doing? Or will I see the benefit of the higher wage in the long run and just take the job and enjoy a higher standard of living in a more prosperous and better governed country. I know some of you are shouting at the screen saying "just move man", but its tough making that initial move. I have a week to make a decision.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i would recommend coming over on your own for a few months and sussing the place out before uprooting the entire family. Move to edmonton on your own, check out house prices, cost of living, general feel for the place etc for 6 months or so. If all seems well, i would look at moving the family over then.
    sad how people have to move entire families and permanently.

A lot easier said than done. Family could be good moral support to come home to in the evenings....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I can only speak for myself coming over here alone.
    The initial setup (I'm different here - i didn't have a job coming over), worrying about somewhere to live, visas, managing money, getting set up etc, its difficult enough with one person, never mind a whole family.
    If all is well with work & the family like it ,then in hindsight it would seem like a great idea moving altogether. But if the job/place isnt all its cracked up to be, you'd be looking at another big move for everyone elsewhere.
    I don't know your personal situation, so I can only speak for what I've found or what i'd do, but I'd highly recommend sussing the place out yourself for a while first if youve got qualms over moving everyone at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

wriggler wrote: »
    hey folks, basically myself and the misses are planning to take ourselves and the 2 kids over to canada for a better standard of living blah blah, big problem is where's a good place? where are all the jobs? we are just drawing a blank as to where we should look, dont really like the idea of the huge cities like toronto, vancouver etc... st johns in newfoundland seems decent and quiet, plenty of pubs, but as i said we havent a clue, so anyone with experience of the place and stories of what it was like settling in and so on would be much appreciated... really any advice atall lol

I live in St Johns. I think it would be a great place for a family to live as long as ye can deal with a very harsh winter! But its nice for a small city and if you have a car loads of great outdoor activities around the island when the weather gets better! Good nightlife too in pubs and live music! Lower cost of living than the larger cities also when it comes to accommodation.

I go to college here so not too adept on the job market but you can check these websites to get some ideas.

http://www.jobsinnl.ca/
    http://www.lmiworks.nl.ca/
    http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do

retalivity wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself coming over here alone.
    The initial setup (I'm different here - i didn't have a job coming over), worrying about somewhere to live, visas, managing money, getting set up etc, its difficult enough with one person, never mind a whole family.
    If all is well with work & the family like it ,then in hindsight it would seem like a great idea moving altogether. But if the job/place isnt all its cracked up to be, you'd be looking at another big move for everyone elsewhere.
    I don't know your personal situation, so I can only speak for what I've found or what i'd do, but I'd highly recommend sussing the place out yourself for a while first if youve got qualms over moving everyone at the same time

I know what you are getting at. I suppose if im going at all im going "for good". Would a weeks holiday be of benefit prior to going?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

If you want to work in Newfoundland, I think it's better to have a job lined up before you move there. My parents live there, my mom's from there, they're retired. My relatives mostly go to work in Alberta or to the oil rigs on the Atlantic for 6 weeks at a time... not much employment at home for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Move to Canada...me too...

I finished my degree a few months ago and have been actively job seeking for over a year. I've been to all the expos with big companies, met all the deadlines, even had a few interviews, but overall no luck. I'm young, educated and with NO committments so I've started saving.

Canada is my main interest. I've a fairly flexible degree - international business and languages (not French unfortunately!). I've especially intersted in marketing jobs, I'd consider almost anything business related in a technology company (particularly computers, telecoms) but I'm open.

I started checking the visas about 2 years ago. The last time that I checked the eligibilty, you can apply based on significant work experience or education, so I followed my degree and I seemed eligible for a (I think) 2 year work and study visa. I checked USIT today and they can arrange a 1 year work and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

Move to Canada...me too...

I finished my degree a few months ago and have been actively job seeking for over a year. I've been to all the expos with big companies, met all the deadlines, even had a few interviews, but overall no luck. I'm young, educated and with NO committments so I've started saving.

Canada is my main interest. I've a fairly flexible degree - international business and languages (not French unfortunately!). I've especially intersted in marketing jobs, I'd consider almost anything business related in a technology company (particularly computers, telecoms) but I'm open.

I started checking the visas about 2 years ago. The last time that I checked the eligibilty, you can apply based on significant work experience or education, so I followed my degree and I seemed eligible for a (I think) 2 year work and study visa. I checked USIT today and they can arrange a 1 year work and study.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

No need to go through USIT. You can get your one year Canadian Visa for 105 euros. All you have to do is fill out some quite simple forms. However you will have to wait till the end of the year for the process to re open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

That's fine with me, I'm still saving so would need a few months. And I can get a visa with a view to full immigration in the respective country? I don't want to holiday so don't want to be kicked out after 1 year. I wonder could employment with a national company once there would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buffohic

Did u go after I'm in the exact same situation as you offered two year contract in concrete finishing would be interested to hear how ya got on have three kids myself have to make up my mind shortly any advice welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

We're in Winnipeg, we've been here under a year and it's going well. Cheaper than other cities and it's a decent size without being too big (700k). A great place to raise a family as that's what this place seems to be geared towards. Good working hours, affordable housing and friendly people. Don't know much about the pub scene as it's not really my thing but there is plenty of places.

If you're looking for an Irish connection there is that here but no way near the extent of Toronto / Vancouver, doesn't bother me though as Winnipeg is so multi cultural everyone is in it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alan3t

Would love to hear any update on if any of you have taken the leap yet as i'm trying to make the decision with my wife at the moment. We have two kids and one on the way. Both of us working but broke. We would both be willing to up sticks and move if it meant a better quality of life for the whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buffohic

buffohic wrote: »
    Did u go after I'm in the exact same situation as you offered two year contract in concrete finishing would be interested to hear how ya got on have three kids myself have to make up my mind shortly it's in edmonton

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

There will be a recruitment fair in the RDS in October held by the province of Manitoba. As far as I know they will be recruiting for all professions not just construction so keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alan3t

Will be there for sure, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnjiK

wriggler wrote: »

Hi, curious as to what decision you made and how your all getting on ? Now facing the same one ourselves although my husband is hoping to have job before he moves over to Edmonton with us to follow .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnjiK

Bernzie wrote: »
    I have got an offer for work in Edmonton on an initial two year contract where they will help me with relocation and sort my visa for me. The problems im having are deciding whether to move my wife and daughter away from all family and whether or not the move will be financially beneficial in the long run. Like will I just be working to pay the mortgage here like im already doing? Or will I see the benefit of the higher wage in the long run and just take the job and enjoy a higher standard of living in a more prosperous and better governed country. I know some of you are shouting at the screen saying "just move man", but its tough making that initial move. I have a week to make a decision.........

Hi, we're in the same position, same place & all. Any update on your end, my main concerns are the winter weather & the schools. Have you looked into schools over there ? To be honest I think it will be a better place to raise children eitherway ! But any info or advise you can give we'd be greatful , thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

We're in Winnipeg, we've been here under a year and it's going well. Cheaper than other cities and it's a decent size without being too big (700k). A great place to raise a family as that's what this place seems to be geared towards. Good working hours, affordable housing and friendly people. Don't know much about the pub scene as it's not really my thing but there is plenty of places.

If you're looking for an Irish connection there is that here but no way near the extent of Toronto / Vancouver, doesn't bother me though as Winnipeg is so multi cultural everyone is in it together.

ive been in the peg for 17months now and so far so good. like all places there are pros and cons but for the OP it is a very family orientated place. id say the maritimes would be good also (although ive never been that far east).
    for housing costs have a look at mls.ca, check out a few different cities and compare for reference.

Advertisement