Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rostrevor mobile coverage

Options
  • 16-05-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can advise on which mobile network (UK) is the best to go for in the Rostrevor area. I'm hoping to use my mobile as a wifi hotspot to a laptop or failing that I'll get a dongle. I don't mind so long as I get decent speeds. Was going to go for 3 for the all you can eat data but their coverage map gives the iimpression that there is no coverage at all there.

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

dunno, but Rostrevor is in a vally so I'd get out and ask folks there.

the suppliers will lie to you to get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the reply. I've been checking out the coverage maps and the only one that appears to be any use is O2 promising good indoor use. I had hoped to use 3 for the all you can eat data but there is no coverage at all from their UK network. However the Irish 3 network does appear to cover Rostrevor!! :rolleyes: Do they charge for roaming data I wonder??! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

pretty likely!

mind you, talk to thier customer service, you never know!

In case anyone else is wondering, I'm in Rostrevor now and my O2 UK phone has pretty good reception! Also have my Irish Three phone and I think that because there is no UK Three coverage in the area, I'm picking up the Irish Three network here so no roaming charges! :) Even better, my Irish Vodafone dongle is also working a treat!!!

I'm very happy! And it is such a beautiful place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Excellent! I was going to say it could be one of those places where your phone(s) don't know if they are in the north or the south! :D

What kind of speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement

Just did a test and getting a download speed of 6 mbps and upload speed is 1.28. I'm happy enough with it as back from Australia where I got a top speed of 1 mbps with a very expensive router and service... :rolleyes:

Had a disaster the other week though, the dongle tripped into roaming mode!! :eek:

Managed to select Vodafone IE as my choice of network when roaming so it's allright again now!

6 mbps! I have a fixed line with Eircom - 3 meg and during the day might get 1.9 and at night .8 or less.

I might get a dongle and see what I can get here in Ravensdale!

Should have said dead jealous of 6 mbps! :D

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Should have said dead jealous of 6 mbps! :D

I have since discovered that there is only one spot in the house where I get 6mbps....it just happened to be the spot I set up the laptop! If I move 4 feet away in any direction it drops to 1 or 2.

Did you ever get a dongle? Any joy?!

Not yet.

Reason being that where I work is just in the north and fibre optic is present and the speed there is 40-50mb and soon to be 80 or so!

Eircom seems to be stable here now at about 1.9mb and stable 1.9mb is not bad.

However I may get a uk vodafone contract and this will have a dongle as it gives me free use of all bt openzones and the fibre optic where we work is also a bt openzone!

Only issue with the dongles are the low gb cap on downloads!

Top luck on laptop positioning there! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement