Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Dogs get colds?

• 16-05-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering can anyone help me out.

My three dogs are all sneezing and 'reverse sneezing', since yest evening.

We brought over a friends dog yest to play, we didnt know it had a 'cold' and was sneezing.

We also didnt realise what ever it was would spread to all three of our dogs within hours?

Any help/advice very much appriciated.

Do we need to go to a vet? Can we do anything to help them? Will it just go away of its own accord??

Thanks very much ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The common cold virus does not effect dogs so, to answer your question - no, dogs do not get colds.

They do, however, get URIs (upper respiratory infections) which can be viral or bacterial. These can be self limiting and clear up on their own, but they may require an antibiotic. One of the more common URIs is Kennel Cough, which is very contagious and your dogs will need to be seen by a vet to make sure they don't get a secondary infection or have a more serious strain of KC. (if you youtube "kennel cough" you will see/hear the distinct hacking cough that comes along with KC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

my dogs are sneezing constantly WHEN WRESTLING. I was told it's normal it's from excitment and some nerve in their nose being messed with . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Kennel Cough is more likely to have a 3-10day incubation period so it's unlikely you would see signs 'within hours'. The sneezing could have an allergic cause as well as/instead of infectious. Also if ur dog is not already vaccinated for KC and is occasionally in contact with other dogs it would be money well spent to get the vaccine when ur dog is 100% again. I'd be going to your vet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

When we picked our 2 up from kennels they had colds (for want of a better word), lots of snotting, sneezing and reverse sneezing. We rang the vet. They were not coughing, had no temperatures, plenty of energy and were eating and drinking. He said just to keep an eye on them and if we were worried to take them into him. So we gave them a spoonful of honey every morning, incase their throats were sore from the sneezing and put some additional fluids. It took 6 days and they were fine again. We did however also keep them away from any other dogs and didn't walk them for this period, until we were certain they were no longer contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Thanks a million for all your replys.

Lorebringer, we're Fairly sure its not KC.
    Spottykat said it came on way too quick, thanks for that advice, We had the neighbours dog over that afternoon, they were sneezing that evening. Also checked out utube and goggle KC and reverse sneezeing, and it seems to be more that than coughing.

Falabo, This is more than them just sneezing when wrestling, though i do know where your coming from. My dogs do sneeze 'normally' if they are lying up side down, and sometimes wrestling.
    This is like constant sneezing, its mad really, you can imagine three dogs sneezing and 'snotting' the whole time. OMG, its not funny!

Anyway I think I'l take your advice Barbiegirl, as it sounds like your dogs had the exact same thing, judging by the symtoms you've listed.
    Was going to call into the vet, without the dogs, so i wouldnt spread it. But was thinking he might say exactly what you said, wait and see!
    So we will wait for a couple of days.
    We gave them honey and diluted warm milk going out to bed last nite, thanks for that tip.
    Whats funny is when they are sleeping there is not a sneeze or a snot !! and otherwise they seem fairly fine.

Thanks again and will let ye know how it pans out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement