Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renovating

Options
  • 16-05-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys, I bough an old house and now I'm looking to do renovations room by room but I have no clue as how to start.
    I had a carpenter friend who did a lot of work but he's gone to australia now and I'm not sure where to start.
    Well, I want to start from the kitchen: it needs plastering, new floor, (ceiling has recently being replastered). And then I'm going to get a new kitchen to fit.
    Would a carpenter do all the plastering as well as the fitting or should I call someone else for the plastering?
    I'm on my own so the work to do seems insurmountable :confused::confused:
    any help/tips really appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

hi, you be better to get a plasterer to do the plastering and maybe do at least 2 rooms at once as it be cheaper, did you think off geting a builder to oversee it and price for the plastering and new floors? you prob end up with a better job this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevmac00

Hi Guys,

I have a similar question but i have not bought the house yet. Im looking to see how much it would cost me to renovate a 1000 sq ft house. Needs to be re-laid out inside as the stairs completely slits the house.

I have a few mates that could provide plastering, electrics and possibly plumbing and any demolition required I would hope to do a lot of myself under the guidance of a builder. any idea of costs on.

Movement of stairwell:
    New Stairs:
    Re-layout of upstairs into 3 bedrooms and Bathroom:
    Bathroom:
    Kitchen:
    Plastering:
    Plumbing:
    Electrics:
    Flooring:
    Doors:
    and any remedial work??

I know its a substantial list but if anyone has been through the same recently any advice would be a great help. Its a period house but seems to be structurally sound and in general good condition.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Are all electrics in the house ok,what state is the house in? first you really need to know what exactly it is your doing and where you want what etc. what needs to be replaced, probably dry lining and how much is you budget...hard to say what your costs are going to be when you have no plans of house up and what ripping is involved with stairs and what type of wood you want to use etc. you need to give a hell of a lot more detail really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi - theres no real way to even ball park a price on a renovation -
    It would require a site visit to assess and discuss your requirements. You shouldn't have any bother getting contractors down to quote and give you time and advice - at the home.
    Accurate pricing can be then obtained based on what you discuss with them.

Shouldn't be an issue either if you agree to do some of the removal work, to keep costs down etc.
    P/m if you want recommend for the general contractor / or separate trades.

For the OP - doing it DIY, the normal schedule for renovation would be :
    first any structural modifications, walls removed ,stairs, windows doors etc.
    Secondly services - electrics, plumbing etc.
    thirdly finishing - plastering, painting, finishing timber / carpentry including flooring, skirting architrave and the like.

Just be careful if your tearing out walls that there not load bearing - do it under the guidance of someone competent & that knows what there doing.
    Regards,
    Mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FTB1

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

@ FTB! - Do not post the same query in different threads as it will be classed as spam and could lead to you being muffled which is not a nice experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oconnobr

Hi,

I am looking to renovate a 1900 sqft farmhouse, circa 1950/60's brick and had an architect look at it. Full rework - new heating - electrics - insulation - repair roof - 280 sqft extension and convert the attic. Basically just working with the structure. He estimates just over €140 k to get it to builders finish. Standard oil central heating. Connected to mains sewage/water.
    How do the figures below sound to those in the know?

Item Element Cost Estimate (€)

1. Substructure 10,000.00

2. Ground floor base 8,000.00

3. External Walls 22,000.00

4. Roof structure + Finish 10,000.00

5. Internal Walls 10,000.00

6. Internal + External Wall Finish 18,000.00

7. Mechanical Installation 9,000.00

8. Electrical Installation 8,000.00

9. Second Fix Carpentry, Joinery etc. 25,000.00
    (excl. Kitchen + Wardrobes
    10. External Works 8,000.00

Total (exclusive of VAT) €128,000.00

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What's happening on the external walls? The overall the figure seems normally enough

BryanF wrote: »
    What's happening on the external walls? The overall the figure seems normally enough

Structure for extension.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

100 K + sounds about rite.
    i'm at the same thing myself in my own house, 1950's bord na mona home - and with renewable energy upgrades i'd say im at 130 K in spend on a 3 bed with a small extension.
    The extension is the problem, 'aftermarket' wrong pitch on the roof, etc,
    The original house was over engineer'd - and when you work everything back and modernize it - theres a load of heart ache and money in doing it, ( chasing the walls is a nightmare for whomever is wiring ) but these type of houses will stand long after anything that was thrown up in the last 20 years.

The 130 K did the following:

- Turf shed at the rear of the property - converted and fitted into an office
    - Extension, re pitch the roof, shorten the windows to accomadate the new pitch ( also a few velux's and large windows to let solar gain do its thing on the south face)
    - Electrical wise, lots of chasing to sink wires, although it was a termination point as opposed to a "fuse board" - still a lot of work though.
    - A couple of weeks of plastering
    - Insulant, bead the walls and spray foam on the inner side of the pitches of the roof, (house is too warm if you ask me!)
    - 2 x stoves, one has a back boiler heating 9 rads and twin coil tank with 2 sq m of solar tubes on the roof.
    - new doors x 4 downstairs, architrave,skirts , etc
    - bathroom, bath, sink, toilet, tile, towel rad
    - new kitchen
    - tiles to 30 sq yds

-painting all external wall faces
    130 k (ish spent in total )

NB - running cost for the home to heat and provide hot water, about 800 per year - euro ( including solid fuel, esb cost )
    Family is 4 adults and one child that thinks he's an adult.
    (teenagers, rant) !
    :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Mike.

Anyone know if there is much to be saved repairing the roof rather than a complete new roof that could be designed to fit a third storey attic conversion. I just think that taking a roof apart to repair is a false economy. The old roof needs a lot of work and you are limited with the pitch, where a new roof would be more reliable in the long run and could be designed to get more space in. A designed for purpose roof would add value rather than a squeeze it in conversion. The centre of the roof is 9ft high/25ft wide and 35ft long.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ann marie kelly

Hi All. There is a couple in co tipp that are doing up their home room by room. It is an old stone house and they are using breathable materials. They have 2 rooms finished and are working on the third room. I intend to visit this job soon to see the materials and the workmanship on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kilkdub

Hi Ann Marie
    Is there a blog or anything you are following in relation to this house in tipp? Does anyone know of good books or blogs out there in relation to DIY renovation of 1920's houses. It would need to be modern obviously for up to date insulation advice etc (given the constant changing of products in this sector)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

Hi Guys

I would like your opinion, I may be gifted a 1960 house which is not currently habitable, But there is Esb and water, I am considering where I should renovate
    putting under floor heating and new roof and small extension out the back of whether I should just scrap the idea and try buy a house that ready to live in ?
    My budget is maxed at 100k.

Also does anyone know is it possible to get mortgage on renovations alone, or how the draw down works on renovations

Thanks a million

What size is the house? Block built I presume?what state is it in? Roof/ windows etc? Having a house is a great start and 100k is a decent amount of money but the extension would want to be small. Old houses swallow money but more details needed for a better idea. Mortgage wise it should be fine once you have an engineer and builder on board with costs on the renovation.10% contingency needed possibly.
    TENHNY wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I would like your opinion, I may be gifted a 1960 house which is not currently habitable, But there is Esb and water, I am considering where I should renovate
    putting under floor heating and new roof and small extension out the back of whether I should just scrap the idea and try buy a house that ready to live in ?

Also does anyone know is it possible to get mortgage on renovations alone, or how the draw down works on renovations

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

TENHNY wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Thanks a million

Best of look getting a new built house for 100k that wouldn't even buy the materials.

hexosan wrote: »
    Best of look getting a new built house for 100k that wouldn't even buy the materials.

How do you know that without size of house? It could be a small cottage, more info needed before you can write it off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Solicitor, arch, engineer, new building act, council fees, taxes, percolation, part L compliance, after all that there'll be sweet F all left out of your 100k. Certainly not enough left to purchase material, pay trades on even the smallest size house.

hexosan wrote: »
    Solicitor, arch, engineer, new building act, council fees, taxes, percolation, part L compliance, after all that there'll be sweet F all left out of your 100k. Certainly not enough left to purchase material, pay trades on even the smallest size house.
    It's an existing house extension of less than 40m2 wouldn't need planning it has esb and water so what council fees no plans need to be submitted,Without sizes you can't make assumptions like you are it could be no more than 1000 sq ft in total. To say 100k wouldn't buy material is nonsense with no info.

Advertisement