Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever use the bath?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Baths are amazing if I can fill one up a decent amount and still have enough hot water left to top it up as it cools. But as a child of the 80's, I remember sitting in four inches of luke warm water, and when that cooled down, I tried the hot tap again only to get even colder water!

Have to agree with the hotel thing, infinite hot water. I'd almost head out to a hotel just to frollick around in the bath for a few hours.

You know what would be cool? A bed IN the bath, all padded up the sides with a nice pillow for your head. Current baths are too hard, knocking my knees off the sides or feeling pressure on my tailbone is unacceptable in this day and age.

Also being able to sleep in the bath without drowning would be nice. And if there was a built in thermostat that would drain out some water and run the hot tap to bring it back to the ideal temperature.

I think baths are the single most underrated and overlooked activity of the past 20 years. Everyone thinking they're great with their fancy showers.
    I'd much rather listen to the small splashes and swooshing water echoing around the bathroom than having the power-shower buzzing and rumbling in my face - it's no wonder people are so stressed out nowadays. The bath is a place to spend hours reflecting on life and staring at your dick, as it sort of bobs around weightlessly.
    And this is exactly what the government wants to stamp out; reflection and watching your penis get smaller as the water gets colder. It's a metaphor for life, and a powerful one at that. I haven't figured it out fully, but I've spent hours meditating on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I take a bath every morning.

Showers are for the shower that are always texting, walking around the street holding a coffee, driving a 4x4 badly (or a Mini Cooper), and watch soaps.

Bath people smoke pipes, read books, and dig the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Baths are amazing if I can fill one up a decent amount and still have enough hot water left to top it up as it cools. But as a child of the 80's, I remember sitting in four inches of luke warm water, and when that cooled down, I tried the hot tap again only to get even colder water!

Have to agree with the hotel thing, infinite hot water. I'd almost head out to a hotel just to frollick around in the bath for a few hours.

You know what would be cool? A bed IN the bath, all padded up the sides with a nice pillow for your head. Current baths are too hard, knocking my knees off the sides or feeling pressure on my tailbone is unacceptable in this day and age.

Also being able to sleep in the bath without drowning would be nice. And if there was a built in thermostat that would drain out some water and run the hot tap to bring it back to the ideal temperature.

I think baths are the single most underrated and overlooked activity of the past 20 years. Everyone thinking they're great with their fancy showers.
    I'd much rather listen to the small splashes and swooshing water echoing around the bathroom than having the power-shower buzzing and rumbling in my face - it's no wonder people are so stressed out nowadays. The bath is a place to spend hours reflecting on life and staring at your dick, as it sort of bobs around weightlessly.
    And this is exactly what the government wants to stamp out; reflection and watching your penis get smaller as the water gets colder. It's a metaphor for life, and a powerful one at that. I haven't figured it out fully, but I've spent hours meditating on it.
    Lmfao...you were painting such a beautiful scene till you got to your bits bobbing around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont use a bath i use a low cost eddie murphy style jacuzzi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

When I'm having a bath I tend to wash myself in the shower first. Baths are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

shrewdness wrote: »
    Sure if you're taking a bath to actually wash yourself, you're just lying in your own filth.
    a) just how dirty do you get?
    b) that's what Bubble Bath is for, or soap in general. Soap coats dirt as it comes off so that it doesn't stick to you or anything else, just goes down the plughole. I've heard the "lying in your own filth" bit before, and it betrays an ignorance of what soap does. :cool:

That said, I usually shower, and baths are a infrequent luxury. I might like the way they do it in Japan: shower first & get clean, then get in to a communal bath for a steam & soak.

I once took a bath in a hotel in the USA, where the bath had this mirror-finish plate over the overflow drain under the taps. I saw a side of myself that I had never seen before, nor ever wish to see again. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ewww no. Your lying their a in a tub of your own piss, ****, and bits of skin and hair. Showers are just as relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

A quick bath on a Saturday night before watching McGyver and you were set up for the week. Those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No I don't have one. Would love one though. A posh tub would be the biz. Would use it more for relaxing than washing. I'd have a shower afterwards. It's a bit melodramatic to say it's stewing in filth, seeing as you're not going to be THAT filthy, and the water will dilute most of it, but I'd want a rinse under the shower to get rid of suds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I took out the bath to put in a walk in shower. And I don't fit in the sink :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if i am ever monumentally hung over i will get into the shower, wash myself to the best of my current abilities and then lay down in the tub until the shower fill the bath. i will then vegetate until i have the energy to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

FatherLen wrote: »
    if i am ever monumentally hung over i will get into the shower, wash myself to the best of my current abilities and then lay down in the tub until the shower fill the bath. i will then vegetate until i have the energy to move.

Last time I had a bath was about a year and a half ago after a 3 day binge, with 3 more days to go.... (I was on holiday). That bath may have actually saved me that week. Took about an hour before I had the energy to get out of it and start drinking again.

don't like baths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bath only I'm afraid as currently we don't have a shower. That'll come in a few months hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The odd time but for medical reasons I cannot really use baths so prefer to shower. To totally chill out and relax well bath is ok. I prefer to shower, its easier, quicker, refreshing and gets the job done! Don't use as much water compared to a bath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Shower's best for hair & skin.
    I use the tub for makin' gin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Yeah - dimmer in the jax so it's turned down to a nice yellow darkish light
    candles get lit, rose petals put into the bath with lavender bubble bath.

Also have a curry before hand and you can have a bubble bath then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hmm stewing in your own filth or shower... shower for me... besides my flat has no bath tub

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I became a Vegetarian years ago so i don't need so much washing and bathing like i used to .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

thats why we had to bring in the water charge. people wasting good water to sit in their own filth. fair enough some ladies might want some alone time in the tub ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I use the bath with great frequency. Tonight I fully intend on running a hot one, complete with scented bubble bath, lighting a few candles, pouring a snifter of Courvoisier and reclining in the warmth as I listen to Miles Davis and watch the mellow candlelight flicker on the marble.

I use it to hose the dog down every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Only for medical reasons because it takes too long. Baths rule though. Very relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I love taking a bath, in my old house the bath was fantastic as the previous owners were a gay couple who clearly enjoyed bathing together as the bath was easily big enough to accommodate two grown men. It was brilliant, I'm a shortarsé so could float in it.

I'm not enjoying them as much now, when you're pregnant you aren't allowed have hot baths and lukewarm ones suck. Especially when your belly sticks up out of the water and gets cold.:( It wouldn't be so bad if it was a normal May but it's just too cold this year to feel chilly in the bath.
    stovelid wrote: »
    I guess your husband kicking the bucket would qualify as a failed marriage.

The opposite really. The only way a marriage can be guaranteed to have been definitely successful is when one or both partners die and they were still in love. Up until one kicks the bucket there is always a chance of adultery or divorce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

paddyandy wrote: »
    I became a Vegetarian years ago so i don't need so much washing and bathing like i used to .

what in the feck has the one got to do with the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

sorry, mis post

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

eth0 wrote: »
    what in the feck has the one got to do with the other?

Meat eaters smell worse than eaters of vegetables and fruit ........visit any ZOO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

smelly hippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Baths are for whimps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I love to soak in a red hot bath, with sensual oils and candles lit around the bathroom with the lights out....

• Advertisement

Bath is a requirement for every place we view to rent for me and my boyfriend. He hates showers. Got to admit I love a good bath meself. Might change his tune when water charges are introduced, but at the moment he's singlehandedly draining the Malahide estuary with his daily washes.

He's also a bubble bath expert. Treacle Moon are the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

As a treat sometimes. Candle, glass of wine & some molten brown bath salts

Amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Meat eaters smell worse than eaters of vegetables and fruit ........visit any ZOO .

I never noticed. There are some right smelly vegetarians about the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I love baths. My boyfriend finds it weird that I only spend 20 minutes in them. That's all I need. So, why bother?

Well, I believe a bath gives a more thorough clean. People always say they dislike baths as you are stewing in your own filth. I don't see it like that at all, the detritus built up would be incredibly dilute in the bath water, and the soap and heat should take care of any bacteria floating around.

I used never take baths, but a few years ago I had to take saline baths daily to aid healing of a wound I had, and grew to love them!

The only downside is that while I feel a bath bodily wash is more thorough than a shower bodily wash, I think bath-washed hair fares worse, as it doesn't get rinsed as well as in the shower.

Advertisement