Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rifle

Options
  • 16-05-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

hi lads, collected my .223 today, here are some pictures.
    the rabbit shot was my first time ever firing a .223 and the range finder said he was at 169yds. i know thats close for a .223 but for my first shot i was happy :D

Rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard with a NikkoStirling Diamond 4-12x42 and a T8 mod.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    the rabbit shot was my first time ever firing a .223 and the range finder said he was at 169yds. i know thats close for a .223 but for my first shot i was happy :D

Rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard with a NikkoStirling Diamond 4-12x42 and a T8 mod.

Well wear Alan - she looks to be a nice piece of kit.

Although we throw numbers around without much thought, at 169ya there's not much frontage on a rabbit - nice shot! Did you lamp it?

Many happy returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

FISMA wrote: »
    Well wear Alan - she looks to be a nice piece of kit.

Although we throw numbers around without much thought, at 169ya there's not much frontage on a rabbit - nice shot! Did you lamp it?

Many happy returns!

thanks lad, no got it in the early evening, tried the scope out in the dark with the lamp it was hard enough to see through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

thanks lad, no got it in the early evening, tried the scope out in the dark with the lamp it was hard enough to see through :(

Try dropping the mag on the scope to the lowest setting and see if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Nice rifle there lad, what ammo are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Well ware, i have a Howa 1500 its prity much the same gun.
    Love it to bits going out after a few rabbits for dinner saterday this evening, try the American Eagle 55gr fmj for the bunnies 9 euro a box, if you want to eat them makes less of a mess

• Advertisement

declan1980 wrote: »
    Nice rifle there lad, what ammo are you using?

Thanks lad, was using 55gr v-max there the only round I tried so far.

Ziggieire wrote: »
    Love it to bits going out after a few rabbits for dinner saterday this evening, try the American Eagle 55gr fmj for the bunnies 9 euro a box, if you want to eat them makes less of a mess

Yeah there lovely guns I was after a howa but it was new and funds couldn't stretch that fair but I'm loving the vanguard. Thanks for the ammo tip.
    Would like to get a fox to see what the vmax are capable of :D

the fox wont walk away from a vmax, pricey at 25 euro a box i use remington 50g jacketed hollow point (JHP) 16 euro a box and have no problom droping charlie
    shoots about half inch high at 100m with 50g if zeroed with 55gr for me

L223R8.jpg

ps. wife said we have the same kitchen table as i showed her your gun

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Well done lad I bet you can't to bust charlie I know I did when I first got my .223
    I have the same aswell. When i got her I tweeked the trigger a bit. Now she fires lovely:D

lee70 wrote: »
    Well done lad I bet you can't to bust charlie I know I did when I first got my .223
    I have the same aswell. When i got her I tweeked the trigger a bit. Now she fires lovely:D

ya its very heavy from the shop, i took it in until the safty did not work anymore and took it back solwly so it was as light as it could be safley, slamed the bolt closed 40 or so times to be sure it would not slam fire, fires like a dream now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

oooh me likey the bolt :D

the fox wont walk away from a vmax, pricey at 25 euro a box i use remington 50g jacketed hollow point (JHP) 16 euro a box and have no problom droping charlie
    shoots about half inch high at 100m with 50g if zeroed with 55gr for me

L223R8.jpg

ps. wife said we have the same kitchen table as i showed her your gun

Yeah lad I'll be looking into cheaper stuff I think the vmax are great but not on the wallet. Just home now got my first ever fox :D I'll post up the pictures tomorrow. Dropped her on the spot. Ha nice one with the table. I read you found your trigger heavy do you know if the vanguards is adjustable as mine is heavy as well with a good bit of creep.
    Thanks For all the Comments lads.
    Alan

i would guess they are the same
    i used this guide the forst time i did it
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/howa-trigger-adjustment-how-52584/

i did not mod the face just played with the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Best of luck with the new gun Alan and safe hunting:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Well wear with the new gun.

Post up pics and a story with the fox, we all like a good story.

podge.243 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new gun Alan and safe hunting:cool:

Thanks lad

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Well wear with the new gun.

Post up pics and a story with the fox, we all like a good story.

Will do shortly

Advertisement