Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: tax returns from Ireland

Options
  • 17-05-2012 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi guys, lived in Canada in 2011, just wondering if I can do my canadian tax returns from Ireland. How do I do it and how long does it take? Do I need a canadian bank account etc etc. Cheers Jamie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went through taxback.com but you can do it yourself using something like ufile.ca. It can take up to 4 months, I applied in February and I'm still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

Taxback.com is definitely easier, they'll take their cut but it shouldn't be too significant a portion.

In order to do your taxes you need a T4 from each employer you worked with/payed tax with in 2011, so if you haven't got one yet then you ought to track it down and get them sent to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

4 months is crazy! I have all my t4 forms and everything else. I was thinking of putting my girlfriends address on it (she is over there on a 1 year visa now) and that way would get the cheque in 2-3 weeks. Do ye think that would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you missed the tax deadline btw

it was april 30th

if you do file you'll not get as much as you would otherwise have been entitled to

Helix wrote: »
    you missed the tax deadline btw

it was april 30th

if you do file you'll not get as much as you would otherwise have been entitled to

Yes you do, I didnt file last years till January this year and I got it all back. The deadline is only if you owe them money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

chargerman wrote: »
    Yes you do, I didnt file last years till January this year and I got it all back. The deadline is only if you owe them money

actually youre right, 30th april 2012 was the deadline for filing for the 2010 year

My tax return came through today, it took 3 months to get it.

3 months isnt too bad. Did you do the returns yourself?

chargerman wrote: »
    3 months isnt too bad. Did you do the returns yourself?

No, I went through taxback.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I did the returns by myself.

Sent about the 20th of April. Got the cheque yesterday dated 25th May....so more like 5 weeks than 4 months!!

I only worked there for 2.5 months last summer, got all the tax and the CPP I had paid back. Happy out :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement