Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Shows - Showing(Handling) your dog

• 17-05-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Not sure how much interest this thread will get, but.. I know there are some people interested in dog shows and showing their dogs and every now and again a question gets asked about dog shows and what is ringcraft training about.

So.. Here's a couple of video's with some great tips for beginners who are unsure where to even start, and for the pro's ( Andreac :p )
    Some ring craft training sessions the helpers there may not have time to individually give specific tips because the classes are so busy.

Part 1

Part 2

Now I have to say that the dog this guy is using for this video already knows everything so the handler has no issues with the dog moving around or being giddy or the dog not knowing what to do. Your dog will not know which way to place its legs automatically.

Training/teaching your dog to stack/move the way you want for a show takes time, you will not get results with practice and time and more practice again!!

If anyone has questions just ask and I will try help out, and I'm sure Andreac will jump in with a few tips also :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alf12

Hey,

These videos look helpful but I am wondering if anyone knows of any ring craft classes. I am living in galway but am willing to travel?? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Very interesting! Reminds me of watching showjumping in the rds or somewhere, looks so simple and effortless until your doing it yourself and end up looking like a fool and sweating like a pig with a big red face over 40cm poles beside kids flying over 120cm on little ponies! :D

They explain a lot but how do you get the dog so quiet and calm to the point you can pick up each leg and move it? Mine would just be like a tazmanian devil flying all over the place with excitement! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

alf12 wrote: »
    Hey,

These videos look helpful but I am wondering if anyone knows of any ring craft classes. I am living in galway but am willing to travel?? Thanks!

http://www.galwaydogclub.com/ringcraft.htm

Not sure what these classes are like but there's a link anyway for you alf ;)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Very interesting! Reminds me of watching showjumping in the rds or somewhere, looks so simple and effortless until your doing it yourself and end up looking like a fool and sweating like a pig with a big red face over 40cm poles beside kids flying over 120cm on little ponies! :D

They explain a lot but how do you get the dog so quiet and calm to the point you can pick up each leg and move it? Mine would just be like a tazmanian devil flying all over the place with excitement! :eek:

Zappery you'll be surprised what a week of patience and trial and error can achieve!

My friend recently asked me exactly what you asked, my advice was simple steps, and time!! You can't get everything done in a week but you'll get a very good start on it.

1-forget all about praising your dog for sitting,
    2-stop using the command sit,
    3-first thing is first stand your dog up
    4-when he is standing use what you want to be as your stand command, I use wait, i have heard some people say stand and all sorts, whichever suits you ;)
    5-don't mind what way the legs are to begin with, if he's standing still this is what you want he gets a treat
    6-leg by leg a treat, I'd start off front two correct treat, over and over, eventually when he stands with correct front legs progress to the back legs. But this said with a pup I would do all legs while the dog is standing. Use some sort of tasty paste in a tub, while the dog is licking it your fixing his legs, he will not move unless you move the treat away/left/right.. (you'l be surprised how much your moving without realising)
    7-you do not have to be standing to do this, you can start off kneeling if you find it easier, then eventually progress to standing, different breeds have different needs, with some you'd always stay kneeling as its easier!
    8-your treat should not be dry/chewy bland tasting. You want your dog to really want this treat and he will do anything for it!
    9-there's no point even trying this after the dogs dinner, perfect time for it is before dinner time when he is hungry and wants dinner. i suggest sausage or boiled chicken or liver
    10-Patience guys you can not stress it enough, your dog will start off looking at you as if to say WTF do you want from me because in most cases people sit their dogs then treat, this goes against what they have learned!!
    11- missed a bit, timing in treating is everything, if you have a fidgety dog a chew or a lick of the treat in your hand every few secinds will suffice, you don't always have to treat a piece of the treat, the dog simply licking the treat will make them happy! A calmer dog you can do the same but maybe every 10 seconds, eventually you can get maybe 20-30 seconds with the dog waiting perfectly for a treat.
    12-you all know your own dog best, when no means no you stop training, what u mean is when the dog loses interest in the treat (him saying no) then you stop training! Have a second treat then a ball of his favourite toy in your pocket and that's the end of practice!! Roughly you may only get a few mins max to start off with

I hope this message turns out ok as I'm on the phone writing it, if not I'll edit it when I get up.

As I said any other questions just shout, there are no stupid questions!! We all have to start somewhere.

Hope this helps Zappery and anyone else

For anyone who would be interested in showing their dogs there are a set of 4 dog shows coming up run by Navan Dog Show https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002462547233

These shows would be a perfect way for anyone interested in beginning as they will not be very serious shows, they are very cheap to enter http://dogshowentry.ie/OnlineEntries/Public/AvailableShows.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement