Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culinary Arts Course-WIT

• 17-05-2012 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I've been trawling boards and can only find little about the course. I was just wondering if anybody has any solid information on this course? What the modules entail and what the tutors/lecturers are like? Also does the course involve hands on training in the industry? Is it tough?

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Well first thing's first, if it definitely is Chef work you want to do in the future, it obviously suits you. There is Work Placement on the 3rd Semester I think.

Imo you would probably be better off doing Hospitality Studies which entails running of Hotels etc, but also joins up with Culinary Arts for some classes. Probably 2 years of Hospitality Studies then branching into Culinary Arts would be the best idea. Leaves more options open for the future.

They are both meant to be good courses.

I know a couple of the Hospitality Lecturers which you would probably end up having, and they are pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 elena g

Ive just finished the culinary arts course in w.i.t and if your really interested in the cooking it its definitely worth doing, or if its restaurant side of things your interested then hospitality course is the one your looking for. I loved all the lecturers there but I had my favourites! You can find out what classes they'll be doing on there website www.wit.ie or if you have the prospectus. If you want to find out what the classes are about just let me know and i'll be happy to tell you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi all,
    I've been trawling boards and can only find little about the course. I was just wondering if anybody has any solid information on this course? What the modules entail and what the tutors/lecturers are like? Also does the course involve hands on training in the industry? Is it tough?

Cheers in advance :)

Hey, I'm just after finishing my first year in this course! Module wise in the first semester you have larder, pastry, production, learning to learn, food science and IT. Larder pastry and production are all hands on classes and are block classes! Lectures are sound once you keep your head down and show interest in what your doing! In your second semester you do the same larder, pastry and production modules and you do nutrition, communications and work based learning! You do a project for nutrition and have an essay or two for communications! Nothing major! Also in your second semester you do 12 weeks work placement over the summer! As regards it being tough it depends on how interested you are in it! It's what you put into the course that you get out of it really! Hope that helps! If you have any questions PM me! :-)

Mugatuu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CurlyJefferson

Thanks loads for all the helpful replies lads :) I've changed my CAO choices to Culinary Arts as my first choice and added Hospitality as my second. I'm really considering taking the Hospitality over the Culinary as I've been told by others too that it opens more doors..though I don't know if I can wait til year two to get into it :P
    This is a big step for me as I've been an art student since leaving cert in 08 thinking it was what I wanted. Ready to move on now though!
    I will be pestering with the PM's I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Hey just finished the culinary arts course this year. People have already explained what the course is all about so I won't go into that but i'll just give you a little bit of advice. If you can at all get some experience in a kitchen over the summer, explain to the chef youre looking to become a chef and could they give you some experience because it's an extremely tough and stressful job and you have to know if its for you before you start :)

Best of luck and welcome to the best job in the world (if you decide its for you)

• Advertisement
Advertisement