Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong, fast, cool PC

Options
  • 17-05-2012 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I built a PC several years back when I was in college and found it massively rewarding and very interesting. Truth be told, it was the best buzz I'd had since Lego. So now I'm in a position where that PC is long outdated (nothing salvageable at this point) and I've only got a laptop that I feel like I'm starting to outgrow.

So the thought crossed my mind that instead of going out and buying a ready-made tower, I'd give building one another go. Hopefully I can learn from my mistakes the last time (if I can remember what they were) and with the help of the good folks of boards.ie, I can get myself a super-computer.

I'll fill out the regular questionnaire, but basically I want this PC to be well-rounded and not specific to any "genre", so to speak. I'm not a massive gamer, but do play the odd game. I watch a lot of live sports streams and use Microsoft Excel almost daily, so I'm going to opt for a dual-monitor setup. Also, I'm a bit of a HD addict, so both monitors will be HD. Another option I've never really explored but would like to (should finances permit me to) is the option of sending my digital UPC television pictures to the computer and recording those. Is such a wildly imaginative idea possible?

I'm sure I'll have hundreds of questions as time goes by, but here it goes...

1. What is your budget? [I'd like to stay under the €1000 mark, but building in stages and adding over time is very possible (starting with 8GB RAM, going to 16GB in the future etc...)]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/HTPC/Internet/Microsoft Office] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes, looking at two of these due to the Full HD, with HDMI inputs]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [2 x 22' is about the maximum my desk could take, and even then I'll have to measure it carefully before I purchase]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard - Yes/Mouse - Yes/Wireless Card - Not too sure but probably do, what are my options here/Card Reader - Would be handy/Speakers - 2.1 would be fine]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [My understanding of this is pushing the limits of certain components so that they perform better, but it is risky. Fair assumption? If so, I may see how the PC works first and possibly overclock down the line]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser/Cash]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next month or so, ideally]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [West Dublin, ideally I should be able to do it without physical help, but will be heavily reliant on Boards as always]

Comments

Advertisement