Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong, fast, cool PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent wireless keyboard and mouse combination with a few bells and whistles but at a reasonable price? A few shortcut buttons on either/both would suffice.

Go for a wired keyboard and mouse only use them on a htpc.

Wired all the way for a desktop that you will be sitting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I prefer wired for gaming, graphics etc. But never had a problem with wireless ones for just general commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Probably going to order this tomorrow, have one more question for you all...

I know there are TV Cards out there, just wondering what the best way of setting the PC up so that I can receive (and record) television pictures from my UPC Digital+ box would be? The UPC box will be on the other side of the room, a distance of about 6-7 metres along the wall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Probably going to order this tomorrow, have one more question for you all...

I know there are TV Cards out there, just wondering what the best way of setting the PC up so that I can receive (and record) television pictures from my UPC Digital+ box would be? The UPC box will be on the other side of the room, a distance of about 6-7 metres along the wall.

UPC don't allow you to record on a computer AFAIK. You can hook it up to your computer with a DVB-C card, but it will be encrypted. If you get a DVB-T card you can watch any of the Saorview channels however, like RTE, TV3 etc.

deconduo wrote: »
    UPC don't allow you to record on a computer AFAIK. You can hook it up to your computer with a DVB-C card, but it will be encrypted. If you get a DVB-T card you can watch any of the Saorview channels however, like RTE, TV3 etc.

Thanks. I'm going to order this build in the morning and leave the TV recording pipe-dream for another day.

• Advertisement

I've placed my order, and now have to pay. A combination of extremely poor English on the website and two different bank transfer details have me a touch confused. Can I set up a bank transfer to either of the below through my AIB online account?

qu1vf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can I set up a bank transfer to either of the below through my AIB online account?
    Yeah, I did. You do the transfer using the IBAN number.

205844.jpg

the_syco wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. You do the transfer using the IBAN number.

Perfect, thanks. Now I just need to find my AIB card reader... :mad:

Perfect, thanks. Now I just need to find my AIB card reader... :mad:
    Huh? Card reader I'm lost. You get the IBAN number from HWV.

Huh? Card reader I'm lost. You get the IBAN number from HWV.

The Card Reader is an AIB contraption to allow you to make transactions online. Maybe not everyone has one but I have one.

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/Satellite?c=SC_Content&cid=1291806113056&pagename=SecurityCentre/sc_main&section=S003

Found it in the end and got the Bank Transfer started this morning. Thanks again to everyone for the tips so far.

• Advertisement

The Card Reader is an AIB contraption to allow you to make transactions online. Maybe not everyone has one but I have one.
    Ah. Shiny. I think I have a card somewhere. Lets us know how you get on, along with pictures :D :P

Ah. Shiny. I think I have a card somewhere. Lets us know how you get on, along with pictures :D :P

Will do, I'll probably have tonnes of stupid "which wire goes where?" questions as its been a while since I've looked inside a PC.

Right now I just have to wait for some confirmation that HWVS have received my payment.

Right now I just have to wait for some confirmation that HWVS have received my payment.
    Quick payment (costs €40); next day.
    Standard payment; 4 working days, so maybe Friday, most likely Monday.

Quick payment (costs €40); next day.
    Standard payment; 4 working days, so maybe Friday, most likely Monday.

Just got the e-mail now, they've received the payment and the order is in progress and has been invoiced. Didn't pay extra for the quick payment but it arrived next day.

What are the best options for anti-static when handling the processor? Just trying to plan ahead because I know that once it arrive's I'll want to get straight into assembling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Touch the computer case to discharge the static from your body. Hold the processor around the edges and don't touch the pins.

From planning to receiving in just over a week. Good stuff!

A four-day turnaround from placing the order and making the bank transfer to receiving the goods is very impressive. Have to work tonight and tomorrow so not sure if I'll get to do much building before Sunday or Monday.

So I've done the following...
    • Disassembled the case
    • Mounted the motherboard, processor and heatsink
    • Added the two sticks of RAM
    • Installed the PSU
    • Added the Blu-Ray drive, Card Reader, SSD and HDD
    • Connected all the relevant wiring for the front panel, drives, power, fans, etc...
    • Switched it on and bingo, fans came on and we had lift off.
    • Attached the monitor, again no issues at this point.
    • Inserted Windows 7 disk
    • Installed Windows 7 on the SSD drive
    • System then restarted, and when it loaded up again I got the below error screen:

BCD%20Error1.jpg

I've tried to run the repair but no joy so far. Anyone have any thoughts. Bit reluctant to go any further at this point, as I want my OS to be installed on the SSD and don't want to do further damage (so to speak, don't think there is any real "damage" done here) by continuing when I'm unsure. I'll continue to google solutions but if anyone knows of a way past/through this I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

So I've done the following...
    • Disassembled the case
    • Mounted the motherboard, processor and heatsink
    • Added the two sticks of RAM
    • Installed the PSU
    • Added the Blu-Ray drive, Card Reader, SSD and HDD
    • Connected all the relevant wiring for the front panel, drives, power, fans, etc...
    • Switched it on and bingo, fans came on and we had lift off.
    • Attached the monitor, again no issues at this point.
    • Inserted Windows 7 disk
    • Installed Windows 7 on the SSD drive
    • System then restarted, and when it loaded up again I got the below error screen:

BCD%20Error1.jpg

I've tried to run the repair but no joy so far. Anyone have any thoughts. Bit reluctant to go any further at this point, as I want my OS to be installed on the SSD and don't want to do further damage (so to speak, don't think there is any real "damage" done here) by continuing when I'm unsure. I'll continue to google solutions but if anyone knows of a way past/through this I'd be very grateful.
    This might help,

Enable AHCI SATA mode in the UEFI/BIOS. Use RAID mode if you are going to use a RAID array .
    Check to see if ACPI 2.0 or newer is in the UEFI/BIOS and enable it if it is there, if not then don't worry about it.
    Check and see if there is an update to the firmware of your SSD/HDD and update if necessary.
    Disconnect all the drives but the one you are installing to. This is to prevent the installer from installing the Windows 7 boot partition on another drive in the system.
    Use the native SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s ports, I advise that you do NOT use the Marvell or other 3rd party SATA ports for your SSD/HDD.

This might help,

Enable AHCI SATA mode in the UEFI/BIOS. Use RAID mode if you are going to use a RAID array .
    Check to see if ACPI 2.0 or newer is in the UEFI/BIOS and enable it if it is there, if not then don't worry about it.
    Check and see if there is an update to the firmware of your SSD/HDD and update if necessary.
    Disconnect all the drives but the one you are installing to. This is to prevent the installer from installing the Windows 7 boot partition on another drive in the system.

If you are using a SSD use the native SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s ports, I advise that you do NOT use the Marvell or other 3rd party SATA ports for your SSD/HDD.

I didn't understand 99% of that, sorry! I'm new to this whole PC building thing.

I understood the two lines in bold, but have no idea how I would update the firmware without getting to Windows, if that makes sense? I can disconnect the 2TB HDD and try again but I'm sure the same error will persist?

• Advertisement

Just go into the BIOS and enable AHCI SATA mode. You did install the 64bit version of win7 right?

Just go into the BIOS and enable AHCI SATA mode. You did install the 64bit version of win7 right?

Will do. Currently on this screen and it's not letting me leave. Been on this for ~20 mins now.

Yes, I installed the 64bit Windows 7 Professional.

Was it the M4 SSD that you bought?

Was it the M4 SSD that you bought?

Yeah. Crucial M4 128GB.

Yeah. Crucial M4 128GB.

Good, they're easy to do firmware updates. You can do it later though, after your up and running.

Ok, I've disconnected the other drive. Only have the SSD in now. Going to restart, go to Bios and enable AHCI SATA mode. What then? Restart?

Yeah, but you might need to reinstall win7 again.

Ok, I've disconnected the other drive. Only have the SSD in now. Going to restart, go to Bios and enable AHCI SATA mode. What then? Restart?

No idea how to do this. Pressing F6 when the first screen loads, which brings me to the ASRock UEFI Setup Utiliy below:

asrock_x79extreme4m_bios5.jpg

Go into storage config, then sata mode. Make sure you don't have the SSD connected to 3rd party SATA ports. Check your MB manual if you don't know which one's they are.

• Advertisement

Ok, I've got Windows up and running and I've installed the Motherboard drivers. A few more little problems have cropped up but I'll deal with those another time. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement