Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerhill/North Circular Rd

Options
  • 17-05-2012 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

Is the Summerhill/North Circular Rd area of Dublin a safe area to live in?
    My girlfriend has viewed a rental property in this area and is quite interested in it. The property itself is fine and the price reasonable and close to the city centre. I'm just wondering if the area in general is ok? Also, she will have to walk to and from here for work.
    At first glance the area seems ok but we weren't in the area too long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Wouldn't be the best, a lot of junkies in the area, don't think you will be staying there long, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

They're the Baileys Court Apartments I'd say?

Its rough alright but if she works 9-5 she'll br grand walking to/from work. And even then its not that bad. I've walked O'Connell St - Clonliffe Rd via Summerhill a few times after a night out and had no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

cson wrote: »

No, not there, but near to there.

She would be working until late some days so I take it that could be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I used to walk IFSC - Amiens St - Summerhill - Ballybough - Clonliffe Rd for years
    At all hours of the evening and night
    It's a maze of pitch back alleys down in Ballybough

Never one bit of hassle
    Having said that, it's still not the best and something could happen your first night

Fitzgibbon St garda station is up the road but there was talk of that closing

It's better to be inside the Croke Park cordon then outside it, that's something to think about.

I think you can do far better OP, that area is not the best

Croke Park cordon?
    Not from Dublin, so not familiar with this term.

• Advertisement

They seal off the roads and send in the drug squad and the dogs every few weeks :eek:

Ah no, on matchdays and concerts there is a cordon set up on surrounding roads.
    You use your residents pass to get through, you get this in Fitzgibbon St garda station
    If you are outside the cordon then you still deal with the crowds
    Important for parking too, parking is not an issue inside the cordon but no chance just outside it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

AFAIK Fitzgibbon street is now closed, all Gardai from there have moved to Store Street.

Personally, I think that areas fine, a few kids causing a bit of hassle maybe, nothing major though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I lived pretty much on the corner in a flat for almost three years. Never any hassle. It's like anywhere, if you look for trouble you will have no bother finding it. I even went into the Sunset house for a few pints on a few occassions!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Personally I wouldn't move up near there.

I know some people who have lived there and they say it isn't too bad except for getting the odd egg chucked at them on occassion from time to time.

If she could find another place for a little bit more money perhaps I think she would be better off. She would probably never feel too comforatble walking home alone back there.

There is a reason why these nice apartments up there are available at a lower cost being close enough to the city centre.

MRG77, which direction will work be, street name would be good.

• Advertisement

Head down to Clonliffe Rd

Flatland on that street, lots of options

nudger wrote: »
    MRG77, which direction will work be, street name would be good.
    City Centre, Dame street.

MRG77 wrote: »
    City Centre, Dame street.

And what kind of number a month would she be willing to spend?

250 euro a month, maybe a little more.

It is a very handy commute to Dame street have to say, the rent, to me sounds good, others would know better.

Don't want to offend any one from the area but apart from some well known troublesome estates, Buckingham st, Bella st, Killarney st, Sean MacDermott st are some of the worst in the city for walking into trouble.

Fairview, Marino, Drumcondra, are not much further away and are much nicer to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    AFAIK Fitzgibbon street is now closed, all Gardai from there have moved to Store Street.

Personally, I think that areas fine, a few kids causing a bit of hassle maybe, nothing major though.

Closed for renovations see statement here from local FG TD

250 euro a month, maybe a little more.

To be honest that is a bit on the low side to have many options in the city centre.

The people who normally pay that are language students who are here to learn English and they normally share bedrooms.

Would she be willing to share a room or is she getting her own room for that 250 in Summerhill?

Summerhill is handy for Damn street no doubt, but so are places like Blackhall / Manor street area (Dublin 7 area) where IMO are better places to live in that she would feel more secure walking home that are also close enough for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I know the area well. If shes working 9-5 then i'd say fine. But if shes going to be arriving home late or walking home late in the evening/night, i personally would reconsider the location.
    About 3 months ago my friends phone and bag were stolen by a guy with a knife. It happened at the junction of North Circular Road and Russell Street at around 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

3 months ago my friend was walking home and her phone and bag were stolen by a guy with a knife. It happened at the junction at Russell road and North Circular road. Will she be walking home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

Is the Summerhill/North Circular Rd area of Dublin a safe area to live in?
    My girlfriend has viewed a rental property in this area and is quite interested in it. The property itself is fine and the price reasonable and close to the city centre. I'm just wondering if the area in general is ok? Also, she will have to walk to and from here for work.
    At first glance the area seems ok but we weren't in the area too long.

if you only have on street parking then definitely no. the area is a kip, but you can get used to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, she could be coming home late so evenings. I'm not too happy about it but. Not worried about parking. It's not important.

MRG77, have a look else where. you don't even have to read between the lines, crap area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hmm, I'm a defender of most areas in town, having lived in a few of the less desirable areas and not had any problems.. but I wouldn't feel comfortable with my gf living up there and walking home alone regularly.. My 2c.

Hmm, I'm a defender of most areas in town, having lived in a few of the less desirable areas and not had any problems.. but I wouldn't feel comfortable with my gf living up there and walking home alone regularly.. My 2c.

Fair play Kev, I think we are trying our best to be polite, if you want to LIVE in an area this is not the best choice.

Look at other areas would be my advice.

Thank you for your help folks. My mind is made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Yeah, she could be coming home late so evenings. I'm not too happy about it but. Not worried about parking. It's not important.

I lived in the area and the main streets are dirty and grotty but otherwise okay. the side streets are another matter and best avoided whether you are a guy or a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

mmcn90 wrote: »

Im happy to say this is not correct - although the old station has been closed for repair, the guards have moved into the house beside, keeping a 24 hour 7 day a week station open.

Certain jobs, such as paperwork processing etc, have relocated to the nearby Mountjoy station while the old station is renewed.

OP - Summerhill could /should be a nice place - have a look at this http://www.irishhistorylinks.net/pages/Old_Dublin_Black_White.html#summerhill

> Regrettably that was all demolished by city authorities in the 70s for road widening, and also the Mountain View Flats - which themselves were since demolished for regeneration. However it is now a scarred landscape with the regeneration stalled following the collapse of the social housing 900m PPP a few years ago.

There are decent places off Summerhill like Summer Street with its community garden - but just yards away on another side of a wall is O'Casey Place, where a nasty fence has been erected, seemingly to prevent drive-by dealing at the junction on Summerhill itself :(

Thanks for everybody's help and info. We've decided against this location.

Advertisement