Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee grounds for garden??

Options
  • 17-05-2012 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭

Was in Insomnia the other day and they had bags of coffee grounds, free for anyone, on the package it says that it's great for putting on soil.

Is this a fact or is it just a great way of them getting rid of crap that they don't want, for free, and i'm sure they have a lot of it to get rid of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Yes; and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

yes, it can be used as a soil conditioner, we do it all the time, good to see they are recycling, better there than in the dump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Great for the garden/lawn/plants. Full of nitrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

Would it help fruit develop quicker say on strawberry plants or any other vegetable for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

It will certainly make the plant grow faster, but you do need a balance of nutrients for peak performance. Excess N makes for more leafy growth, possibly at the expense of fruiting(?), so I'd make sure there was enough potassium because this is really important for fruit development.
    If you have excess grounds, maybe it is best to put them in the compost heap and dig into the soil before you set plants in the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I have found them great for improving a heavy soil in a small area ( I just use the grounds from our own kitchen rather than getting them from a major supplier). They are also supposed to discourage slugs if left on surface rather than dug in. I would not guarantee this statement as we are having plenty of devastation on new sunflowers at the moment where we have been using the coffee grounds. But if I could get a big supply of them easily I would jump at it!

Advertisement