Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry in one year??

• 17-05-2012 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey, I am almost completely sure I am going to repeat in an institute and I'm wondering would it be possible to complete Chemistry and get at least a HC3 in one year. The school explains that all courses are completed in the one year, making it possible for students to start a new subject.
    That's all and well, but what are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

without a doubt possible to get a HC3. But you'll have to work a bit at it, but in fairness its one of the shorter courses. goodluck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

You could get it done in half a year to get a HC3.
    With a year an A1 is easily achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Really?? My friends doing chemistry say that it's hard to get done in TWO years?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Really?? My friends doing chemistry say that it's hard to get done in TWO years?!
    thats rubbish in fairness. A HC3 would be relatively easy to get.

You know most of the paper before you go in
    Q1 - titration
    Q2- Organic Experiment
    Q3 - Rest of experiments

40% for experiments and there not particularly hard.

But know the first 8 chapter very well and then you can build around them and it all clicks one day.:) It is a bit tough at the start but stick at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

And some people say foundation maths is hard. It depends on your ability and most importantly your work ethic.

If you're an individual of sound mind and average ability, 1 year is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

One of my friends studied it outside of school for just 1 year and he got an A2 in it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The hammers

You could definitely get a C3 in one year but it will take a considerable amount of work. I put no work into it over two years (it's not going to be one of my top 6 and I found it very boring!) and now I'm the loser doing O.L! It seems to me that if you have half a brain you will do very well at O.L though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's fine if you put in the work. It's a short course and the concepts aren't *hugely* difficult to understand. An A1 is very doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tits magee

It's fine if you put in the work. It's a short course and the concepts aren't *hugely* difficult to understand. An A1 is very doable.

how did u get on in ur exams PAMG?

what was the 1st year like in tcd?

tits magee wrote: »
    how did u get on in ur exams PAMG?

what was the 1st year like in tcd?
    The year overall, a lovely experience. The past 5/6 weeks however were a hellish experience that even surpassed the Leaving Cert in terms of stress.

I had a practical exam at the start of April just at the end of the Hilary term. At that point I was completely lackadaisical (Ah sure, there's ages left etc) and hadn't been doing much actual study barring some casual reading. When term ended on the 6th of April I came to the blinding realisation that I only had 24 days left until my first exam.

At that point I started feeling slightly less relaxed and began doing the occasional tidbit of study (As in, i'd open a set of my notes and read them without really absorbing anything). On the 12th of April with 17 days to ago until the first exam "the panic" set in. Looking at the vast amount of material I had covered in the year (Twice the size of the leaving cert with the material being of a much higher standard) I realised that I needed to start studying that moment or risk having a poor run in the exams (Which would have been disappointing seeing as I did quite well in all the continuous assessment and practical exams).

I wrote out a plan for every day from the five weeks from that day until today detailing what I had to study. I spent every single day studying from morning (10AM) to early morning (2AM) and managed to get everything more or less covered during the two weeks running up to the exams. Couple that with night before the exam study and the reading i'd had done throughout the year I managed to do (I think) quite well in the exams, in some cases even doing better than the people who studied "properly".

I finished my final exam today. In retrospect, as hellish as an experience it was, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tits magee

The year overall, a lovely experience. The past 5/6 weeks however were a hellish experience that even surpassed the Leaving Cert in terms of stress.

I had a practical exam at the start of April just at the end of the Hilary term. At that point I was completely lackadaisical (Ah sure, there's ages left etc) and hadn't been doing much actual study barring some casual reading. When term ended on the 6th of April I came to the blinding realisation that I only had 24 days left until my first exam.

At that point I started feeling slightly less relaxed and began doing the occasional tidbit of study (As in, i'd open a set of my notes and read them without really absorbing anything). On the 12th of April with 17 days to ago until the first exam "the panic" set in. Looking at the vast amount of material I had covered in the year (Twice the size of the leaving cert with the material being of a much higher standard) I realised that I needed to start studying that moment or risk having a poor run in the exams (Which would have been disappointing seeing as I did quite well in all the continuous assessment and practical exams).

I wrote out a plan for every day from the five weeks from that day until today detailing what I had to study. I spent every single day studying from morning (10AM) to early morning (2AM) and managed to get everything more or less covered during the two weeks running up to the exams. Couple that with night before the exam study and the reading i'd had done throughout the year I managed to do (I think) quite well in the exams, in some cases even doing better than the people who studied "properly".

I finished my final exam today. In retrospect, as hellish as an experience it was, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

thanks, well done. hopefully u get a 2.1 or a 1.1 :)

btw did u take many breaks from your studying from 10am till 2am? :eek:

tits magee wrote: »
    thanks, well done. hopefully u get a 2.1 or a 1.1 :)
    1.1 I hope.
    btw did u take many breaks from your studying from 10am till 2am? :eek:
    Occasionally. The fear of doing poorly kept me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

hiya!
    i done a home study chemistry course through kilroy college, soory but it was the biggest waste of time! kilroy provided no help whatsoever! i often asked for help but they never gave the answer to what i was asking, as if they didnt know. i knew no-one who done chemistry so i had no help. gave up on them then as i literally hadn't a clue what i was reading. anyhow, the school managed to get me a teacher as they wanted to help me as they saw i was struggling. this was in march of this year! basically had the whole course to cover in 9 weeks?! yep its crazy i know! so its now 2 weeks to the exams and im sitting HL exam. aiming for a HC3 for veterinary but if i get it or not im not sure. it is fairly simple when you have someone there to explain it to you. just alot to learn so you will have to put alot of work in. yep i always learn the hard way!
    moral of the story, id say it is possible but DO NOT go near kilroy college! they are very expensive and provide no help at all!

cool thanks :) yeah, I've deceided if I go ahead with it, i will definately be taking up Chemistry. i was worried, because people had told me that's it's an extremely dificult course, and you hardly finish it in two years, not to mind one.
    that put me off, but i will work really hard at it, and get grinds during summer to help me beforehand. :)
    any other useful tips or bits of information on taking up Chem in one year?
    What precisely should i learn/know straight from the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

cool thanks :) yeah, I've deceided if I go ahead with it, i will definately be taking up Chemistry. i was worried, because people had told me that's it's an extremely dificult course, and you hardly finish it in two years, not to mind one.
    that put me off, but i will work really hard at it, and get grinds during summer to help me beforehand. :)
    any other useful tips or bits of information on taking up Chem in one year?
    What precisely should i learn/know straight from the beginning?

Do not start on the history (Dalton or milikan) start with the atom and atomic structures breakdowns. progress chapter by chapter and if you're using chemistry live, it'd be chapter 2-8. After radioactivity, then go back and do the history as you need to know about alpha particles for a part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I'm studying chemistry and biology as an external student, and I only really got started in late January, only doing a few hours a day, and I'm aiming for A's. It is very doable.

As everyone mentioned, once you get the basics down solid the rest starts to make sense. The institute teachers are very good, so if you pay attention in class and do what's asked of you, and ask loads of questions when you don't understand something it won't be a problem.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'm not so sure about it being 'one of the shorter courses', but it is very doable. I've just finished my first year of Chemistry and we've enough done that were I to sit the L.C. now I could probably get the higher C3. The curriculum is quite long but the questions on the paper are really predictable so you can cut a lot of the waffle out of the chapters and still do really well, once you understand what's going on!

Advertisement