Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a Kerry person...the list...

Options
2»

Comments

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    55. going to Dingle for the August bank holiday & sleeping in tents in a field!

56. Ladies free on a Wednesday night in Spirals

57. the 'hurdy gurdy's during the festival & how the locals would get to go on the rides longer before & after the festival was on...my late Grandmother was friends with Mr. Bird the late owner of the funfair and he used to give her loads of passes for us every year! ah the memories :)

Oh yeah, knowing that Birds doesn't mean winged creatures that lay eggs, or even ladies, but rather bumpers, has to be in there.

Like the school tour in Crag Cave by Stinicker above too. I think Fota and the RDS Springshow must count too.

58. Has eaten at Den Joes, the Allegro or Viva Burg.

59. Refers to the airport as Farranfore Airport, not Kerry Airport.

60. Arrived at Killarney Station drunk from cans in the train.

61. Is proud of the Lartigue Monorail.

62. Has wondered if Liebherr is big enough to hold a game of football indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

63. Kerry is the only county where both males and females are called "lads"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

"Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the heavens. You belong to history and language and romance and ancient song. It's almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it's an awesome responsibility."

John B. Keane

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

64. Has driven into Killarney on the 1st Sat in July at 7am ready to do the ring of Kerry cycle and thanked the lord that life was good enough to you that you had the privilege to about to spend a day seeing such beautiful views of the kingdom :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

65. You complain that the towns are so quiet during off-peak times and complain again during the Summer when the towns gets busy with tourists :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Being from Kerry we wonder, what the hell tourists see in our county and its non-stop rainyness. However then we realise how beautiful, cool and refreshing the rain is especially for those who are used to nice weather, put yourself in their shoes.

jkforde wrote: »
    "Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the heavens. You belong to history and language and romance and ancient song. It's almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it's an awesome responsibility."

John B. Keane

Great line. Hadn't seen that before. But so true. It is a privilege to come from this county.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If a Kerry person makes an appointment, they like to surprise people by missing it and turning up out of the blue some days, or even weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

68. practically everyone in Tralee knowing a road where people walk as "the Fat Mile"
    67. complete lack of use of indicators driving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Being able to understand Jackie Healy Rae. If you can do that, you are definatly from Kerry!

Or West Cork

Actually lot of the things ye have posted I have done , O the shame

• Advertisement

Or West Cork

Yep, as I said above...
    I would say like people from Cork. Except when it has anything to do with gaelic football. Sure West Cork and South Kerry...it's almost one and the same.

Sure in a place like Beara, take a village like Ardgroom, there is no "Cork and Kerry"...again except surrounding the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

....coming down the hill outside Castleisland and getting the first view into the Maine valley, out to Cahersiveen and the bay, then Dingle hills to the right, and the the Reeks and Laune valley with the Paps to the East blending into Cork. Your soul is dead or you aren't a bona fide Kerryman if that doesn't stir something in the cockles!

(warning, going off topic here, the above reminds me.. where does KCC decide in their wisdom to locate a winter grit depot? right at one of the best viewing points in the county :o... i know the road needs a decent depot up there somewhere but does it have to be right there, a lovely scenic spot that could be developed into a nice attraction in it's own right, but anyways, i digress.... )

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Stinicker wrote: »
    Being from Kerry we wonder, what the hell tourists see in our county and its non-stop rainyness. However then we realise how beautiful, cool and refreshing the rain is especially for those who are used to nice weather, put yourself in their shoes.

It's only when you move away you realise the beauty of a grand soft day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Knowing that it's pissing down with rain because God doesn't like Listowel Races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Knowing that it's pissing down with rain because God doesn't like KERRY and comes from West Cork

makes sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Booking out of Jurys/Burlington (name your B&B or Hotel) on the day after the All Ireland and booking the same room for next year ;)

Advertisement