Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Lunch

• 17-05-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I recently worked in a school in Dublin and the best part of kids (12 - 17) for lunch would be having big rolls or heading off for McDonalds or Burger King,some would even go to a local cafe for a big fry. What ever happened to the days of a jam sambo and banana? What was your school lunch like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Allowing your kids to eat sh!te like that every day is nothing short of child abuse.

I want to a very disadvantaged school in the early 90's. You want to see some of the lunches... a packet of biscuits... or plain bread and butter... or nothing.

I had sambos. They were grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

Banana sambos, a packet of thrift crisps, an apple and a glass of diluted something or other. Cheese and brown sauce sambos on every other day (nom nom nom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sky King wrote: »
    You want to see some of the lunches... a packet of biscuits... or plain bread and butter... or nothing.

A packet of biscuits for lunch is not much better than McDonalds tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Chicken and ham paste sandwiches, packet of tayto and a bottle of cadet. At least kids now are getting fed. Notting wrong with a roll or a burger when your growing like nobodies business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I remember being morto for having homemade brown bread sandwiches. I craved white sliced pan like the 'normal' kids. Now I send my kids to school with...homemade brown bread sandwiches.

I used to love those little baby bell cheese thingys, mostly for the wax that you could mould into shapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Archeron wrote: »
    Banana sambos, a packet of thrift crisps, an apple and a glass of diluted something or other. Cheese and brown sauce sambos on every other day (nom nom nom).

Cheese and brown sauce sambos :D forgot all about them boyos. They were tasty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

Confab wrote: »
    A packet of biscuits for lunch is not much better than McDonalds tbh.

dont agree, a big mac meal has over 900 calories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was close enough to go home for lunch and three miles from the nearest fast food joint. Was too ****ing lazy to do either.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Ham and cheese sandwiches ... and sometimes Liga too, for a treat. :o There were always babies in my house all through primary school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I think most kids (in secondary schools) are given money now as opposed to a packed lunch. My local Subway/ Supervalu deli counter is packed at lunchtime with kids getting their lunches. We had a canteen at school where they sold soup and sandwiches, as well as crisps and chocolate, but it wasn't the done thing to be given cash by our folks every day.

In primary school we got free sambos provided. Cheese or ham I think. And free milk.

• Advertisement

jellygems wrote: »

But 200g of Digestives have over 900 calories as well. That's not even half a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Most of the kids I go to cram into the local hillbillies. There's.. that, two kebab places, a pizza place, two chippies, a cafe, and a mcdonalds not too far.

I mostly go for sandwiches from tesco myself. I am partial to the odd bag of chips mind, but I limit myself to once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Notting wrong with a roll or a burger when your growing like nobodies business.

Oh FFS.
    There is a big difference in having a burger an odd time as a treat, and kids having them five days a week for lunch.
    Growing they may be but most of them are growing into obese blobs with short life expectancy and will be a huge drain on public resources as their health fails.

There is an epidemic of obesity in children in this country and it's disgusting. Parents have a duty to ensure their kids eat well.

It was different when I went to school as a jam sambo was the only option. Only lazy parents send buiscuits with their kids as a lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Confab wrote: »
    But 200g of Digestives have over 900 calories as well. That's not even half a packet.

And they're mostly just sugar! At least in a Big Mac you might get some "meat" ... maybe a little wilted lettuce ...

how many calories in a packet of biscuits?
    e.g. Mcvitties digestive with around 20 biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

bbam wrote: »
    Oh FFS.
    There is a big difference in having a burger an odd time as a treat, and kids having them five days a week for lunch.
    Growing they may be but most of them are growing into obese blobs with short life expectancy and will be a huge drain on public resources as their health fails.

There is an epidemic of obesity in children in this country and it's disgusting. Parents have a duty to ensure their kids eat well.

It was different when I went to school as a jam sambo was the only option. Only lazy parents send buiscuits with their kids as a lunch.

Oh FFS starve the kids to save the taxes !! Its not the burger a day thats making these kids obese its the constant influx of crap, crips and sweets they eat all day and downing it with a litre of coke. A burger as a school meal isnt a bad option, keeping them constantly hungry or forcing them to eat stuff they dont wanna eat wont help anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I remember getting sambos made, 2 sambos with lettice, mayo, relish, to this day can't make it the way mother made it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

We had a canteen that I never got grub in, the ppl running it had a chipper van in town and the menu reflected that, chips, burgers, beans etc.
    No wonder there were so many fat arses around the place.

There were a lot of them that went up town for sh*tloads of penny sweets, refreshers, black jacks and the like. Mr Freezes were popular, but a b*stard to open and consume IMHO.

I usually had a sambo and soup from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ham sandwich, a frube, a penguin bar and a carton of Amigo juice. Frubes are dangerous though, I can't count the amount of times the bastard would spill out all over my jumper. Or when I sprayed it all over some bitch who pissed me off

Sometimes I'd get peanut butter and jam sandwiches, those were the best days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Lunch, we were lucky to see breakfast and that was just gravel from pit.

• Advertisement

I used to get ketchup sandwiches and a kitkat. Loved it, but the thought of it now makes me feel a bit ill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

monday - cornbeef sangwiches
    tuesday - cornbeef sangwiches
    wedneday - cornbeef sangwiches
    thursday - cornbeef sangwiches
    friday - guess what...
    yes, cornbeef sangwiches

it was the 80s we were poor :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A load of ham sandwiches, packet of meanies, a United, Telex or 54321 bar and a can of pop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

For years it was ham/billy roll and cheese sambos, penguin bar and a little box of raisins. Bottle of orange squash to chase it. YUM.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sammiches and stuff, once a week we were treated to a 'pound special' from the chipper which was 2 sausages, chips and curry sauce

For years it was ham/billy roll and cheese sambos, penguin bar and a little box of raisins. Bottle of orange squash to chase it. YUM.:)

Jaysus I hated that Billy roll stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

phasers wrote: »
    ham sandwich, a frube, a penguin bar and a carton of Amigo juice. Frubes are dangerous though, I can't count the amount of times the bastard would spill out all over my jumper. Or when I sprayed it all over some bitch who pissed me off

Sometimes I'd get peanut butter and jam sandwiches, those were the best days.

holy shit i miss frubes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not the number calories that are the problem with a diet. It's the shíte that makes up the number of calories.

If me Ma was up early enough in the morn we might get 'red lead' (luncheon) blaas for school lunch instead of ham sandwiches, oh they were (and still are) delicious!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Head of brocelli usually. Sometimes I'd try to do a swapsies for a bottle of Tipperary kidz...how they laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Corned beef and salad cream sambos...i loved it! The corned beef tasted so much better in the 80s than the crap skinny fatty slivers of so called meat ye get now.

Dunnes crisps and a penguin bar if it was a "good" week in our house.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Corned beef and salad cream sambos...i loved it! The corned beef tasted so much better in the 80s than the crap skinny fatty slivers of so called meat ye get now.

Dunnes crisps and a penguin bar if it was a "good" week in our house.

Dunnes Cola wasn't too bad if I remember correctly! Cans of that were better than getting an old bottle full of KVI coke :pac:

Totally went off Cornedbeef when I was about 11, just refused to eat it but in recent years I have rediscovered my love for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Where are you going with your 900 calories?!
    A Big Mac has a little over 500 calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Chips - simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

used to alternate my lunches. on monday i would have turkey burger and beans from the school canteen and spend the rest on ten silk cut to last me the next two days. on tuesday i would eat like a king, steak pudding, chips and curry sauce with a can of coke, followed by an iced bun. then wednesday would be turkey burger and smokes day. and so on for 7 years almost....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Primary school - sandwiches made with Billy roll in the early years and Philadephia after that, biscuits, yogurt and banana.

Secondary school - got very bored of cheese sandwiches very quickly and started bringing pot noodles or rice, thermos flask of soup or ciabatta rolls to heat in the microwave. I used to go to my grandparents' house for lunch twice a week as well, and without fail, they would give me noodles, a cup-soup and whatever desert my gran had made the day before... followed by a Dairy Milk and a packet of TicTacs from the school shop when I got back. (Those were the days :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

It's not the number calories that are the problem with a diet. It's the shíte that makes up the number of calories.

Ehhhhh no it's not?

Doesn't matter what you eat. Whether it's the healthiest food there is - if you're taking in more calories than you're burning off you will gain weight.

Unhealthy foods just tend to be more calorie dense.

I think lack of education and basic knowledge is the killer here. Most people just have very misguided views on what denotes a healthy diet. They can't be blamed, as devious and misleading advertising seems to be all the information they receive.

Breakfast cereals, for example, are a farce. Obviously you can eat what you want, and in moderation its no harm at all, but seeing sugar ridden crap like Special K marketed as a health food really winds me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

And they're mostly just sugar! At least in a Big Mac you might get some "meat" ... maybe a little wilted lettuce ...

lettuce has zero nutritional value :confused:

cheese sandwichs every day for moi - except friday, when uyou'd be given 3 pound for the lunch special down the chipper...and this was from about 92 till 97.

my wife still laughs at me (we met in school) about how i used to literally shove a quarter sandwich in the side of my mouth and chew like a chipmunk. this would last approx 2.7 minutes until i'd shoved the grub down so i could leg it out for a smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

one lad goes to school with a chicken mayo and lettuce sambo the other goes with ham, I take ham, corned beef etc.
    All made at home that morning
    Crisps and yogurt and fruit
    nothing fancy

kfallon wrote: »
    If me Ma was up early enough in the morn we might get 'red lead' (luncheon) blaas for school lunch

So a 'sneaky sandwich' then? What about sneaky fish finger sandwiches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Jam sandwiches in the 80's with an apple or orange. Bottle of tap water or milk to drink.
    Kids have it too easy now.
    Our treat was 50p on a friday to buy some candy if we were lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

A sandwich, a piece of fruit and a chocolate bar like a Penguin or a pack of crisps from a cheap multi-pack, and a bottle of diluted orange/blackcurrant. Sometimes we'd mix it up with a slice of cake on Monday if it was left over from Sunday's baking or a flask of soup in the winter. I can't say I was ever particularly hungry at school.

Rabies wrote: »
    Jam sandwiches in the 80's with an apple or orange. Bottle of tap water or milk to drink.
    Kids have it too easy now.
    Our treat was 50p on a friday to buy some candy if we were lucky

Sounds about what I got. 50p and I was rich. These newfangled 50c coins don't buy nearly as many sweets and Cadet. Thank fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Where are kids getting the money to go to cafe's, McDonalds or wherever? I'm presuming it has to some from the parents.
    So we'll say €5 a day, the secondary school year is generally 167 days so 167 x €5 = €835 for lunch for the year!! Sweet holy Jesus and the little donkey! It'll be bread and jam for my little cherubs; if they are lucky :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

Sandwiches (the filling depended on the dinner the day before) a penguin or kitkat and a carton of ribena or capri-sun. Tomatoes occasionaly ruined a good sandwich :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

In my school we were never allowed out for lunch so McDonalds and all that crap food was never an option so lunch usually cosisted of a caron of orange, banana / apple / orange, a sandwich (usually egg, salad or tuna) and a penguin bar.

real stig wrote: »
    Sandwiches (the filling depended on the dinner the day before) a penguin or kitkat and a carton of ribena or capri-sun. Tomatoes occasionaly ruined a good sandwich :(

Tomatoes ALWAYS ruin a good sandwich :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I ate Touchdown bars. Lots and lots of f***ing touchdown bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

kfallon wrote: »
    Tomatoes ALWAYS ruin a good sandwich :mad:

Makes the bread all soggy! If I ever had salad sandwiches I always put the tomato in just before I was eating them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Are swans the new penguins? :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement