Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Lunch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I had a cigarette at lunchtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Are swans the new penguins? :eek:

Are all princesses hairy? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I'm still traumatised from years of eating Easi-singles cheese.

Possibly the most vile substance ever created by man.

Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cheese sambos and maybe a pack of crisps in primary. Secondary I would get a roll some days from the local shop or sambo from home. the ODD time I would get chips from the chip shop, like once a month, when chips were 50p a big bag, not the €2.50 price for a small bag now a days.
    I remember when a Spar opened in my small town, we used to be able to get 6 sausage rolls for a £1, why is it €2 for 4 now?

Corned beef, what was/is in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Corned beef and onion sandwiches wrapped in the bag that the corned beef came in. The smell of onions from my bag was awful. A 2 finger kit kat and a bottle of diluted orange...
    Still love those sandwiches cept the corned beef was a lot nicer back then...

Corned beef sandwiches, jam sandwiches, banana sandwiches. For secondary school I just went home for lunch and either had a burger, some pasta, one of those manky small circular pizzas or a findus crispy pancake. Or maybe some chicken dippers or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

I had a thermos flask of OxO with bread and marge,
    Once a week I had a pack of johnny onion rings cost 2p,
    use to love the free Current Buns,would love one of them now yum yum:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I got to secondary school there were vending machines, but my parents wouldn't give me money for them. I had the knack of giving the machine a good wallop in the right place and a bag of sweets would almost always fall out. good times.

Once the man who was filling the vending machines left them open during our lunchtime and the entire thing was emptied in a matter of minutes! We had a big serious announcement over the intercom where the principal demanded that the culprits return the stolen chocolate immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

Red sauce sandwiches for me.... you know the 'Kandee' brand Dunnes stores stuff you get in the big plastic litre bottle..
    They were bloody nice too! :D

After that i progressed to crisp sandwiches :eek: - and the rest as they say is history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I ate Touchdown bars. Lots and lots of f***ing touchdown bars.

Poor man's 54321 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Ham and Cheese Sambo with Popcorn thrown into it at lunchtime - YUM YUM! Usually a bar from a multipack. Also, remember using a coke cola bottle I had from the weekend for my diluted drink in school - thought i was the bizz!

Considering buying corn beef for work lunches - feel like i missed out on something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

kingtut wrote: »
    Are all princesses hairy? :eek:

Yes I believe they are.

I can understand this has come as a shock to you, perhaps you should lie down. Maybe you could just hold my clips for me while I plait my pubic hair, thanks, you're a star :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Yes I believe they are.

I can understand this has come as a shock to you, perhaps you should lie down. Maybe you could just hold my clips for me while I plait my pubic hair, thanks, you're a star :D

I'm feeling faint :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

summerskin wrote: »
    used to alternate my lunches. on monday i would have turkey burger and beans from the school canteen and spend the rest on ten silk cut to last me the next two days. on tuesday i would eat like a king, steak pudding, chips and curry sauce with a can of coke, followed by an iced bun. then wednesday would be turkey burger and smokes day. and so on for 7 years almost....

:D:D:D

We definitely went to the same school! Bet singles cigs cost ya 5p too? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Primary school : Ham sandwich, penguin bar, popcorn, juice
    Monday to Friday.

Secondary school : loads of packet of chrisps , bars, fizzy drinks from the tuk shop .. Crisps rolls where my fave :)
    Big lunch would either be a chipper, or something hot from the shop deli.

I look back at pics from when I was in primary school to going into secondary needless to say I put on an awful lot of weight when I got into secondary school :o

I blame the schools.. Have healthier stuff in the canteen and tuk shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

vard wrote: »
    Ehhhhh no it's not?

Doesn't matter what you eat. Whether it's the healthiest food there is - if you're taking in more calories than you're burning off you will gain weight.

Why would children be aiming to lose weight? :confused:

Children should eat nutritious calorie-dense food to provide them with the energy that they need, and to allow them to gain weight, as they are growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

summerskin wrote: »
    used to alternate my lunches. on monday i would have turkey burger and beans from the school canteen and spend the rest on ten silk cut to last me the next two days. on tuesday i would eat like a king, steak pudding, chips and curry sauce with a can of coke, followed by an iced bun. then wednesday would be turkey burger and smokes day. and so on for 7 years almost....

Irish schools have canteens? News to me!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

lettuce has zero nutritional value :confused:

Well that's not true, but that's besides the point, as I certainly wasn't saying that eating Big Macs for lunch is a good thing!

My point was that it's not just the calories that count, it's the nutrients in the food that makes up those calories.

I could go Googling the merits of eating lettuce versus eating the equivalent amount of calories in Digestive biscuits ... but ... really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jellygems wrote: »
    dont agree, a big mac meal has over 900 calories
    A pack of digestives has nearly 2000 calories. I'll wager that choc chip has even more.
    kfallon wrote: »
    If me Ma was up early enough in the morn we might get 'red lead' (luncheon) blaas for school lunch instead of ham sandwiches, oh they were (and still are) delicious!!! :D
    Nothing, nothing, beats a red lead blaa with lashings of proper butter. Eta: or Meanies. A Meanie blaa is epic.

I used to get a sandwich (usually ham and cheese), yoghurt, and a banana/apple. Occasionally I'd have a boiled egg. You wouldn't believe the stick you get for bringing a boiled egg to school; like it was somehow bizarre and deviant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

kylith wrote: »

Nothing, nothing, beats a red lead blaa with lashings of proper butter. Eta: or Meanies. A Meanie blaa is epic.

Whats a blaa?:confused:

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    monday - cornbeef sangwiches
    tuesday - cornbeef sangwiches
    wedneday - cornbeef sangwiches
    thursday - cornbeef sangwiches
    friday - guess what...
    yes, cornbeef sangwiches

it was the 80s we were poor :o

Same!

Some form of squash, and a breakaway bar (think they were called something else back then).

There were times my mam used to try to feed me pork onion and tomato roll, or hazlett. YUCK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

IrishAm wrote: »

Aye, mine added a canteen the year I left. Twas only for junior certs though, gotta get 'em fat while they're young!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

So many corned beef sandwiches, class haha.

I used to mix it up between bringing lunch and having dinner. When I took dinner at school I tended to have roasties, gravy and chicken if I was flush the cash, or maybe just a sandwich and juice and a packet of crisps or chocolate bar. My school actually made really nice dinners.

Then I started smoking. No lunch for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's a type of bread roll found only in Waterford. It's floury, chewy, soft, square, and delicious. There is nothing else quite like it and I eternally curse the fact that you can't get them in Dublin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbs28

Primary school..Wagon wheels! Oh I never want to see a wagon wheel again, we were bombarded with them haha. And of course the little dented bottle of orange with the paper peeled off and then filled with milk!
    Secondary School...fared a bit better here, as there was a canteen and a tuck shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Peanut Butter sambos a Panky bar. A banana that was never eaten, which joined his other uneaten banana brethren at end of my school bag, they became rotten and squashed, thus rendering my Busy at Maths book unreadable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I think summerskin went to school in the UK like myself.

The kids from low income families used to get free dinner tickets. Usually, a lunch would cost about 50p so the "dinner ticket" kids would sell em to us for 30p. Which meant I could afford 4 single cigarettes every day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Oh FFS starve the kids to save the taxes !! Its not the burger a day thats making these kids obese its the constant influx of crap, crips and sweets they eat all day and downing it with a litre of coke. A burger as a school meal isnt a bad option, keeping them constantly hungry or forcing them to eat stuff they dont wanna eat wont help anything.

The burger needs to be added to your list of crap.
    It is not a suitable lunch for a child and it also gives the message that fast food five days a week is ok.
    If you feed kids fast food five days a week they will be addicted to it and continue this pattern on through life. It will kill them and cost the rest of us a fortune before they die. Anyone who underestates the timebomb that is child obesity is an idiot. In a few short years our healtservices will be jammed with overweight kids with diabetes high blood pressure and god knows what else.
    We seriously need a "fat tax" on fast food. It should never be a regular part of a childs diet. We used to snigger at America for its obesity problems, now who's laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bbam wrote: »
    It is not a suitable lunch for a child and it also gives the message that fast food five days a week is ok.
    If you feed kids fast food five days a week they will be addicted to it and continue this pattern on through life. It will kill them and cost the rest of us a fortune before they die. Anyone who underestates the timebomb that is child obesity is an idiot. In a few short years our healtservices will be jammed with overweight kids with diabetes high blood pressure and god knows what else.
    We seriously need a "fat tax" on fast food. It should never be a regular part of a childs diet. We used to snigger at America for its obesity problems, now who's laughing!

Who ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I give mine a sandwich. Today was chicken breast, lettuce, tomato. Plus a banana and bottle of water. One kid gets a bag of Tayto.

My brother-in-law once reported parents for giving their child two Barratts sherbet dips for lunch. It was the latest in a line of offensive lunches.

I always went home for lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

used to get the usual corned beef or calvita cheese sambos. also not to everyones taste but bovril sandwiches or bovril on cream crackers, yum yum! Then in secondary school I worked in the tuc shop with best friend so we may have taken our payment in sweets every day, not good really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Secondary school (90s) we had a canteen.. Vera's greasy chips, drifters, postman pats, bikers, frosties, refresher bars.. Anything bought in there was a potential missile :D

Primary school we'd run down to the shop through the church car park for 10p bags and blackjacks to go with the jam sambos.. Vividly remember another boy having his daily 2p piece for pocket money.. 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When I went to school in the 80's the only days we were allowed chocolate or crisps in our lunch box was on a friday, and even then you still had to have ur sandwiches, and have then eaten first.

There was no obesity, and the playgound was a tarmac and concrete surface, we were allowed to play british bulldog, and football without any health and safety fears.

Now its crap food in the lunch boxes, and your not even allowed to run in the playground. No wonder there is so many overweight kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Heaven in bread form :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

School lunches in the UK in 2004 - 2010... man it was good. Chips for 80p. Two sausages and a piece of buttered toast for 50p. Bacon and toast for 60p. Cans of coke for 30p. Curry with chicken, rice, and chips for a £1, and free lunches every so often when the person at the till couldn't be bothered tallying it up... good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

We had a chipper's and a sweet shop in our school. They done a mean batter burger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

vard wrote: »
    Ehhhhh no it's not?

Doesn't matter what you eat. Whether it's the healthiest food there is - if you're taking in more calories than you're burning off you will gain weight.

Unhealthy foods just tend to be more calorie dense.

This is my point exactly... thanks for missing it and then wraping it up in your own packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I got two ham and mayo sambos cut in half Monday/Tuesday/Thursday, got money on Fridays since it was burger and chips day in the canteen, and half day Wednesdays I'd walk down after school to the village to have lunch in some cafe or other with my nan, then back to her house for a while after. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Flincher wrote: »
    I'm still traumatised from years of eating Easi-singles cheese.

Possibly the most vile substance ever created by man.

Shudder.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you've never had pork,onion & tomato roll.

Shudder indeed.

The plastic around the edge was the only edible part.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

When I started secondary school we had sandwich toasters in the lunchroom (you can imagine the queues, and races to get there first before the crowds of 200+ :D), nearly every day for 3 years I had 1 toasted cheese sandwich at the small break, and 2 at the big break. Made them myself too, the parents wouldn't make them right or might cut them in half or anything :rolleyes:. 6 slices of Brennan's bread, about half a packet of Dubliner cheddar and Kerrygold butter, made them the best years of my life.:D Still eating them to this day! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

bbam wrote: »

Why not tax all non healthy foods ? Why are you pointing the finger at fast foods only when its only part of the problem and not the problem in itself ?

Of course its not healthy eating burgers five days a week but even without burgers the majority of people wouldnt eat what would be considered a healthy diet. Taxing fast food is all well and good in that it feels like something is being done but it doesnt solve anything. Its like your typical FG/Labour "lets get some cash" ideas. Good for a little extra revenue but pretty pointless in actually doing anything to fix the problems. Just pushes people to the next option which in all likelihood isnt going to be considered healthy in itself either.

This is all a bit over the top in terms of blaming the food, I was brought up on burgers, chips, frozen pizzas and all manner of other unhealthy stuff. I'm not obese nor are any siblings or friends who were brought up on the same. The reason kids today are getting fatter isnt because they are eating burgers its because they can afford to eat burgers along with everything else. Blaming the food is a tad stupid I think and upping the tax on a big mac wont stop a kid buying one.

If you are gonna tax it then it should apply to every single unhealthy food and the money generated needs to be pumped into education to try and inform people better about health and diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

Confab wrote: »
    But 200g of Digestives have over 900 calories as well. That's not even half a packet.

who has that many biscuits for lunch lol good point tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 power123

apple , banana , water at small break
    ham & cheese sandwich + chocolate bar + water at big break
    went to chipper at big break every friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sky King wrote: »
    Allowing your kids to eat sh!te like that every day is nothing short of child abuse.

I want to a very disadvantaged school in the early 90's. You want to see some of the lunches... a packet of biscuits... or plain bread and butter... or nothing.

I had sambos. They were grand.

This is what the very disadvantaged kids get these days. Kinda wanna send my kids to a disadvantaged school so they get this awesome free lunch...
    Probiotic Yoghurt Drink

Organic Rice Cakes

Cheese Strings (cheddar cheese)

Raisins

Plain Scone with dairy spread

Fruit Scone with dairy spread

Jacobs Crackers & Soft Cheese

Petit Filous

Bag of sliced Apple & Grape

Pack of Seedless Grapes

Cherry Tomatoes

Oats & Honey Cereal Bar

Apple & Cinnamon Cereal Bar

Muller Fruit Corner

Yoplait Frube

Bread Sticks & Cheese Dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

bovril sandwich, a bar and may a biscuit or two, the lunch of champions

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Always got sambos.. Cornbeef, billyroll, cheese, ham, chicken or sometimes just buttered bread and a package-a-crips :D

Always got a piece of fruit and a snack bar too..

On Fridays my Dad would always buy me a Dairymilk and a packet of Winegums :)

I remember when I was in my early years of school (Junior/Senior Infants) my Mother would pack me a flask of tay :p was always cold come lunch time but I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

Wheetabix with butter and jam, I was a strange kid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm sensing a lot of food snobbery here. I was reared on school lunches of sandwiches (white plastic bread and chocolate spread - to the despair of my parents, I was one of those picky kids who turned their noses up at real food like brown bread, ham, cheese, etc.) and flasks of sweet instant coffee.
    I'm in my late 30s now, I'm not morbidly obese or diabetic - largely because my eating habits improved as I grew older, not because my parents/teachers/tutting busybodies on the 1980s equivalent of boards.ie forced me.

tl;dr: Kids will eat what they want; most of them will turn out okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

For the whole of primary school I had brown bread sambos with either ham, corn beef, tomato roll or jam. The would ALWAYS taste like orange peel because my mam always packed two mandarins with the sambos without wrapping them separate- and she made them the night before so the flavour would be well soaked in! Yick.
    I also used to be on some sort of dawn dairys program where we got a little carton of yogurt milk stuff - I hated it.
    I pretty much ate nothing for the whole day until I was old enough to make the lunch myself - as I just couldn't stomach any of it and I'd just fling everything in the bin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement