Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Lunch

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Primary school: Jam sandwiches/banana, milk and some biscuits.
    Secondary school: Can of coke and half on a box of smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

we had does old style desk with an open drawer in primary school. the amount of green fungi looking sandwiches that would appear after a while wasnt a site to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Okay so this makes me sound ancient but, when I started National School in Donegal, school lunches consisted of plastic buckets of rapidly cooling cheap cocoa loaded with sugar, brought an 8 minute walk from the house where it was made (by 2 students:rolleyes:) and dispensed to our plastic mugs with a ladle A beverage that I can only describe as vile! Accompanied by a hard, sweet, currant bun that could only be broken into by soaking it in the afore-mentioned cold, foul brew!!:eek::eek::eek: There was no escaping it either, teacher never left the room, every last drop had to be consumed.

My mother having been informed lunch was supplied presumed we were sorted in that Department and so for several years lunch was a traumatic recurring event in my life........unsurprisingly, I often skip the whole thing to this day, just ignore it!! Amazing the stuff we carry from our childhood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Secondary school (90s) we had a canteen.. Vera's greasy chips, drifters, postman pats, bikers, frosties, refresher bars.. Anything bought in there was a potential missile :D

Primary school we'd run down to the shop through the church car park for 10p bags and blackjacks to go with the jam sambos.. Vividly remember another boy having his daily 2p piece for pocket money.. 80s

CBS/Boyne Community???

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Okay so this makes me sound ancient but, when I started National School in Donegal, school lunches consisted of plastic buckets of rapidly cooling cheap cocoa loaded with sugar, brought an 8 minute walk from the house where it was made (by 2 students:rolleyes:) and dispensed to our plastic mugs with a ladle A beverage that I can only describe as vile! Accompanied by a hard, sweet, currant bun that could only be broken into by soaking it in the afore-mentioned cold, foul brew!!:eek::eek::eek: There was no escaping it either, teacher never left the room, every last drop had to be consumed.

My mother having been informed lunch was supplied presumed we were sorted in that Department and so for several years lunch was a traumatic recurring event in my life........unsurprisingly, I often skip the whole thing to this day, just ignore it!! Amazing the stuff we carry from our childhood!!
    Thats rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

me m wrote: »
    we had does old style desk with an open drawer in primary school. the amount of green fungi looking sandwiches that would appear after a while wasnt a site to behold.

I was that soldier, brown bread and jam wrapped in the sliced pan wrapper and a bottle of diluted orange. Hated the sambos, so they ended up stuffed in that open drawer, not even enough room for my books covered in Daktari wallpaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Lunchen Blaa's or ham sandwiches, and always with a damn penguin bar, can't eat penguin bar's anymore :)

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Thats rough.

You have no idea!! What I wouldn't have given for a soggy tomato sandwich!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Thick boiled ham sangagez and a glass bottle of blackcurrent Kia-ora with a piece of brown paper under the cap to stop it leaking.

Satts wrote: »
    Thick boiled ham sangagez and a glass bottle of blackcurrent Kia-ora with a piece of brown paper under the cap to stop it leaking.

You lucky, lucky barstad!!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    A pack of digestives has nearly 2000 calories. I'll wager that choc chip has even more.

Nothing, nothing, beats a red lead blaa with lashings of proper butter. Eta: or Meanies. A Meanie blaa is epic.

I used to get a sandwich (usually ham and cheese), yoghurt, and a banana/apple. Occasionally I'd have a boiled egg. You wouldn't believe the stick you get for bringing a boiled egg to school; like it was somehow bizarre and deviant.
    What do you mean " like it was somehow bizarre and deviant". It is and you deserved every bit of stick you got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

You lucky, lucky barstad!!

Didn't feel lucky at the time, took the whole break time to chew the f**k'in things.

Didn't feel lucky at the time, took the whole break time to chew the f**k'in things.

Chew you say! I had to suck on that bloody currant bun for the whole 30 minutes.....It was akin to sucking on a stone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    What do you mean " like it was somehow bizarre and deviant". It is and you deserved every bit of stick you got.
    Ah, come on, it was only a boiled egg, it's not like I was eating balut (warning: seriously gross).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

An Apple and small choclate bar or few jaffa cakes for break then 2 ham sandwiches cut in half, yeah no triangle here, for lunch. And a 2litre of water w/sports cap for added dead-li-ness to keep me going through them leaving cert days..

The odd time i would treat meself to a superquinn role at luch though.

And always a lap of the town to have a gander at the fine ones from the loreto who where always, conviniently for us, on luch at that time aswell

Great times :cool:

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, come on, it was only a boiled egg, it's not like I was eating balut (warning: seriously gross).

Been there, done that!! :eek: In the shell, boiled and given to me by a great Aunt who got her dates wrong............(feeling sick at the memory:P) 'Tis no bloody wonder I have food issues!!

Only got halfway through and well, shall we say it wasn't pretty:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Reiketsu wrote: »
    So many corned beef sandwiches, class haha..
    Bring back "real" corned beef thats what i say. Ever since this thread ive had such a craving but i know its just not going to be the same.Ive tried..and failed numerous times to find the thick,non fatty, proper slices of it.

No nostalgic bull, it really was much better...waaaay back then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

anniehoo wrote: »
    Bring back "real" corned beef thats what i say. Ever since this thread ive had such a craving but i know its just not going to be the same.Ive tried..and failed numerous times to find the thick,non fatty, proper slices of it.

No nostalgic bull, it really was much better...waaaay back then :D

Ask in a deli, they slice it from a big slab so would cut ya a few thickuns if ya asked. I like to throw a few lumps into mashed spuds, it be's only grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

That packet corned beef is rank, half the stuff is little see-through blobs of fat, if you hold up a slice you can nearly see through it it's that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Ham sandwiches. White bread, butter, nothing else. From first class in national school up until doing the Leaving. Only thing that changed is the drink that went with it. Capri Sun (Tropical preferably) in national and a half litre bottle of mineral in secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Crisp sandwich - Tayto Cheese and Onion six-pack for the week, with white bread of course. There was always on packet of crisps left over for Friday night then, with a pint of milk of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I remember in junior infants I had a digestive biscuit, carton of juice and ham sambo not healthy at all, but after third class [ha get out the tiny violin] I don't actually remember having lunches I think I used to wrap some white bread and spread in cling film and that was it but a lot of days I wouldnt have lunch and would walk around for the break so no one would notice, as I got to about 15/16 I would get a bag of crisps sometimes to bulk up the bread or grab an apple sometimes I only had an apple during the day but my best friend brought in this massive lunch box every day it had two ham sambos, four bars, two packs of crisps and two fruit shoots drinks, she would even drink them "in her sleep". I was over weight in school because I wouldnt have breakfast, white bread and then cook myself a big plate of pasta at night because I was so hungry while my friend had a big bowl of coco pops in the morning, more bars crisps and sambos when she got home, pizza/chicken nuggets and chips and more sugar drinks at night... whilst both diets were horrific I think my friends was more "normal" and it was the kinds of foods she was eating. What was not normal but common place was the fact that her mother told her to finish all her lunch and NOT to give it to other people (sad face) and gave her five euro a day to buy food from vending machines/sausage rolls from the canteen etc.

Oh just saw a comment above about school milk, god this is really sad right but the only time I had milk growing up after the age of 8 was when someone else wasn't in school so I got their paid for milk and thought score no hunger pains today sjkfdlsd why didn't any teacher I had ever notice children like me not having lunches and others having buffets or else they felt like it "wasnt their place".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

saa wrote: »
    I remember in junior infants I had a digestive biscuit, carton of juice and ham sambo not healthy at all, but after third class [ha get out the tiny violin] I don't actually remember having lunches I think I used to wrap some white bread and spread in cling film and that was it but a lot of days I wouldnt have lunch and would walk around for the break so no one would notice, as I got to about 15/16 I would get a bag of crisps sometimes to bulk up the bread or grab an apple sometimes I only had an apple during the day but my best friend brought in this massive lunch box every day it had two ham sambos, four bars, two packs of crisps and two fruit shoots drinks, she would even drink them "in her sleep". I was over weight in school because I wouldnt have breakfast, white bread and then cook myself a big plate of pasta at night because I was so hungry while my friend had a big bowl of coco pops in the morning, more bars crisps and sambos when she got home, pizza/chicken nuggets and chips and more sugar drinks at night... whilst both diets were horrific I think my friends was more "normal" and it was the kinds of foods she was eating. What was not normal but common place was the fact that her mother told her to finish all her lunch and NOT to give it to other people (sad face) and gave her five euro a day to buy food from vending machines/sausage rolls from the canteen etc.

Oh just saw a comment above about school milk, god this is really sad right but the only time I had milk growing up after the age of 8 was when someone else wasn't in school so I got their paid for milk and thought score no hunger pains today sjkfdlsd why didn't any teacher I had ever notice children like me not having lunches and others having buffets or else they felt like it "wasnt their place".

If thats entirely true, thats very sad. :mad:

I hope no child will suffer hunger pains in school today, like you did.

IrishAm wrote: »
    If thats entirely true, thats very sad. :mad:

I hope no child will suffer hunger pains in school today, like you did.

Ah yeah it will still go on the teachers, social workers and gaurds all knew what was going on. And its difficult for schools to help feed any children without lunch as they'd need the parents consent which probably wouldnt be given, hopefully something changes with this up coming referendum regarding children as the way it is now you can starve your child if you like and don't think that means social services will take them away, jaysus this is making me angry as well I feel like being a bit more proactive about helping others but its a desperate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Flincher wrote: »
    I'm still traumatised from years of eating Easi-singles cheese.

Possibly the most vile substance ever created by man.

Shudder.

also the fact that you don't even have to store them in a fridge disturbs me greatly

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »

I am currently providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for my daughter's pal......things are far from ideal at home but this girl is 16 and to involve social services at this stage would be counter-productive...she is only a year and a half off her Leaving Cert...her way out, she is very bright...I will help her with her CAO stuff/Grant Application etc and hopefully some practical help will break the cycle. This is the way she wants it...it is nothing for her to get a call whilst in my house in the evening telling her not to bother coming home, Mum's busy!! There is no pretence, but, I knew nothing until my daughter noticed that she was starving and never had access to food, no matter how much time they spent together. Once the mother realised she was getting fed here, she more or less straight up told me I could keep her.

It's a disgusting way to treat your child and I would love to report her but that will only result in additional stress for this vulnerable young adult with an end to her torment in sight. How this kid slipped through the net I'll never know.....I'm no saint and I have not a lot to give at present but I'm compelled to do this, she's so close to getting away:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am currently providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for my daughter's pal......things are far from ideal at home but this girl is 16 and to involve social services at this stage would be counter-productive...she is only a year and a half off her Leaving Cert...her way out, she is very bright...I will help her with her CAO stuff/Grant Application etc and hopefully some practical help will break the cycle. This is the way she wants it...it is nothing for her to get a call whilst in my house in the evening telling her not to bother coming home, Mum's busy!! There is no pretence, but, I knew nothing until my daughter noticed that she was starving and never had access to food, no matter how much time they spent together. Once the mother realised she was getting fed here, she more or less straight up told me I could keep her.

It's a disgusting way to treat your child and I would love to report her but that will only result in additional stress for this vulnerable young adult with an end to her torment in sight. How this kid slipped through the net I'll never know.....I'm no saint and I have not a lot to give at present but I'm compelled to do this, she's so close to getting away:cool:

All I can say is fair play to you and hopefully somewhere down the line you will be rewarded for this. Nice things happen to nice people :)

That's such an amazing and compassionate thing to do, I didn't have anyones house to go to but I always stayed in the library until 8 everyday (I wasn't allowed to attend the schools study groups as I couldnt pay for it celtic tiger Ireland eh) but in the end I was very lucky to get into a BA hons course when I was 16 and the disinterested parent signed the forms for my grant but even though I got away I couldn't of got by without being helped with how to manage money, get things organised and support with other things like birthdays/christmas without the support of my boyfriend and his family, I found it hard when I got out to function I had never looked after myself or managed things before but it got a lot easier and it actually took three years to start eating right or feel like I deserve to eat nutritious food even though I had enough money to buy food funny that, now I will do everything I can to look after my smaller brothers when they leave school in a couple of years its hard as I made a report in 2009 [edit: and it took until mid 2011 to get a proper response] to help them and was told there was not enough evidence. That net is awfully easy to fall through unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

IrishAm wrote: »
    Irish schools have canteens? News to me!:eek:

I was raised in England. Every school there has a canteen, couldn't believe it when we moved here and found out there would be no canteen at my daughter's school.

summerskin wrote: »
    I was raised in England. Every school there has a canteen, couldn't believe it when we moved here and found out there would be no canteen at my daughter's school.

The posh school near me had a real canteen other wise its not really a thing here, they had a canteen in my school, they sold sausage rolls, bread rolls, meat pies, scones and apple pies :/ every day, they tried to bring in fruit but no one bought it they also had a tuc shop inside the school and later brought in vending machines but they did ban coke because it was bad for you and still sold all the other soft drinks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

when i was in primary school i got jam sandwiches, ham sandwiches, or cheese sandwiches, with either a penguin bar or a macaroon bar and a packet of yellow pack crisps. and a flask of soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Ham, chicken or jam sandwich, bottle of water and possible one of those Gold bars. Nothing to fancy, bit boring! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I used to have ciabatta with parma ham and sundried tomatoes. Other days it would be rocket, roasted chicken with homemade mayo and walnuts... with a side of caviar of course, washed down with some elderflower cordial.

School lunches these days are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

bread

Fair play to you. Still good people in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You cannot help the life that you are born into, but you've given this girl a life line. You're an amazing person Pandora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I remember being morto for having homemade brown bread sandwiches. I craved white sliced pan like the 'normal' kids. Now I send my kids to school with...homemade brown bread sandwiches.

I used to love those little baby bell cheese thingys, mostly for the wax that you could mould into shapes.

I got a block of cheese for lunch one day. My mother said it was a mistake, but I think otherwise. But I ate it, ate the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Fair play Pandora, hopefully that young girl will thrive because of your support :)

I was an odd child who loved fruit and veggies, so I'd always have some sliced carrot, cucumber or red pepper with my little chicken roll, and an apple. Always drank squash or water. Being allowed go into town for lunch during secondary school and getting a part time job nearly ruined me; chips and chocolate and other kinds of junk helped me pile on the weight until I was in Leaving Cert (when I mysteriously lost the weight again).

I was always jealous of the kids who brought chocolate and other treats to primary school. The mother of a traveller child in my sister's class used to bring him a Happy Meal everyday. So jealous :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement